getting OWN3D in IM rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well not me.. but my friend at hopkins

first week of IM, and it's 6AM - 1-3AM work everyday. get home ~1:30AM, do HW, prep for presentation - ~1 hr of sleep per day.

OWN3d!! is IM this hardcore everywhere??

Members don't see this ad.

It figures nothing has changed over there. They got busted for their IM residency work hours, kicked out the whistleblower, and they're probably right back at it...

Then people wonder why both Hopkins and IM have such a notorious rep these days. Let's see, I'm going to volunteer to work ridiculous shifts in a hospital and make 1/2 of my colleagues in radiology? Hmm... Sure IM is stressful here, but nowhere near that bad. The rotation with the bad rep at Penn is surgery, I hear there you're talking about 12-14 hour days, 5 - 6 days a week.

chef said:

first week of IM, and it's 6AM - 1-3AM work everyday. get home ~1:30AM, do HW, prep for presentation - ~1 hr of sleep per day.

Hmmm, those hours sound kind of fishy for every single day. I have friends at hopkins and I've never heard them mention anything like that. It amounts to a 140 hour work week not including call! I would bet they're referring to their call days. I can't imagine staying at a hospital (on a regular basis) from 6am to 3am on a non-call day as a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
chef said:

wow, but then again my friends at hopkins said its hardcore, and one is starting IM residency there in a few weeks. ANother one in hopkins, after her rotations there is too scared to even want to do IM in Hopkins!

Neuronix said:
Then people wonder why both Hopkins and IM have such a notorious rep these days. Let's see, I'm going to volunteer to work ridiculous shifts in a hospital and make 1/2 of my colleagues in radiology? Hmm... Sure IM is stressful here, but nowhere near that bad. The rotation with the bad rep at Penn is surgery, I hear there you're talking about 12-14 hour days, 5 - 6 days a week.

Hmm, on my gen surg rotation as a med-3, my days were always 12-14 hours 5 days a week and ~4 hours on weekends. Excluding call, of course. Sometimes, it was more than that. And I know my residents worked far longer hours than did I, and I didn't take call from home to answer pages from nursing. Students on the busier gen surg services worked 14-16 hours a day routinely. I kind of assume this is par for the course for gen surg residents.

hey guys i wasnt exaggerating the hours -

she's gotta be at the hospital by 6AM everyday, and call is q3, so every 3rd day she comes home at 3AM. all other nights she's at home EARLIEST 12AM. no days off on weekends. it's 7 DAYS/wk

She's so sad now b/c she cant attend Sunday church service anymore, something she has not missed her entire life....

so sounds like Hopkins IM is focking crazy. geez i told her to go to stanford!! :smuggrin: :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh:

but she says surgery schedule is even worse??!!? :eek: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

chef said:

she's gotta be at the hospital by 6AM everyday, and call is q3, so every 3rd day she comes home at 3AM. all other nights she's at home EARLIEST 12AM. no days off on weekends. it's 7 DAYS/wk

She's so sad now b/c she cant attend Sunday church service anymore, something she has not missed her entire life....

so sounds like Hopkins IM is focking crazy. geez i told her to go to stanford!! :smuggrin: :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh:

but she says surgery schedule is even worse??!!? :eek: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Wait a second. There's no break, not even for religious reasons? There must not be any Orthodox Jews at Hopkins then, which I know must be false. (Yes unless of course it's life or death which is arguable...if so then a Jewish person can get out of Shabbat...)

chef said:

Sounds like a stretch to me. I did a medicine rotation and medicine sub-I at Hopkins. Call was Q4H. It was busy, but not bad. My rotation was before the hospital implemented the 80-hour work week rule for residents. Medical students are never busier than the residents.

Surgery rotations were not that bad either.

Your friend is either slow or stuck with a team that likes to round on patients all day.

I second what Andrew Doan said...

As a student at Hopkins, the medicine rotation usually has 12 hour days, 5 days/week plus call nights. We'd usually pre-round at ~7:30, rounds from 8 to noon, various lectures and patient care tasks in afternoon, home around 6-7 pm.

My medicine sub-I at JHH was a little busier, but the hours weren't all that different.

Surgery rounds at Hopkins usually start between 5:30 and 6:30 am, and students would typically go home around 5-6 pm on non-call nights.

I think that your friend is probably a freshly minted third year who is still learning how to work efficiently. There's also an art to deciding when you need to be at the hospital and when it's ok to leave. Everyone who is new to the wards works a little harder than they need to, because they're learning the ropes. There's certainly no expectation that your friend should keep the hours that you posted... no house officer, faculty member, or fellow student would ever expect that much.

doepug (Hopkins MD '04)