Getting started on Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airborne29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I want to congratulate all you guys and girls that are starting med school over the next few days and weeks!:clap: Go kick some butt!!!

From what I've read so far, I understand that research isn't required and all. But, I'm really interested in getting involved in medical research with the possibility of getting something published.

My question is....(wait for it) How the heck do you get into a research program?

Any tips!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I want to congratulate all you guys and girls that are starting med school over the next few days and weeks!:clap: Go kick some butt!!!

From what I've read so far, I understand that research isn't required and all. But, I'm really interested in getting involved in medical research with the possibility of getting something published.

My question is....(wait for it) How the heck do you get into a research program?

Any tips!

Thanks

If you are a student, there is usually some sort of research going on at your college or university (unless you attend a CC). Make some phone calls or send some emails to your science faculty and see who does research and what they study.

Is there a medical school in your area? You can also touch base with them about your interest in research. They usually have a center for or director of research that can point you in the right direction.

If you are a student, there is usually some sort of research going on at your college or university (unless you attend a CC). Make some phone calls or send some emails to your science faculty and see who does research and what they study.

Is there a medical school in your area? You can also touch base with them about your interest in research. They usually have a center for or director of research that can point you in the right direction.

I went to a private school for my undergrad which didn't have a official science department. I'm currently working on my master's at another private school. I chose not to go to Ucf because its a freakin nightmare.

UCF isn't too far from where I live. Their 1st Med school class just started this past Monday. I'll swing by there and see if they have anything that's available.

Would any private practices be involved in research? We have a ton of them around here in central Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a private school for my undergrad which didn't have a official science department. I'm currently working on my master's at another private school. I chose not to go to Ucf because its a freakin nightmare.

UCF isn't too far from where I live. Their 1st Med school class just started this past Monday. I'll swing by there and see if they have anything that's available.

Would any private practices be involved in research? We have a ton of them around here in central Florida.

Research isn't just done at medical schools, it is done at most public universities. Wherever you are getting your masters likely has research ongoing as well. Find a professor you got along with in a science course and see if they are currently performing research and have an open spot. Many masters programs are also research based rather than library based.

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research center has a few programs for the summer. It's located in Seattle and I think anyone can apply.

If you want to do research as an undergrad, e-mail professors like it's going out of style, express your interest, and someone should take you on.

Professors sometimes will post flyers looking for students, and from time to time if you do really well in a class, a professor will bring it up to youl

If you want to do research as an undergrad, e-mail professors like it's going out of style, express your interest, and someone should take you on.

Professors sometimes will post flyers looking for students, and from time to time if you do really well in a class, a professor will bring it up to youl

Very rarely at most large schools. I never had a professor approach me about research and I actually got lucky getting my position through a member of my fraternity who had graduated and was working in a lab.

IMO the best approach is still e-mailing professors whose class you did well in and you were genuinely interest in the material. For instance, I e-mailed a genetics professor who was working with genotyping and phenotyping plants. I had gotten an A in his class and simply sent an email stating:

"Hi Dr. XYZ,

I was enrolled in you class during this past quarter and was particularly interested in the research you are performing. I feel that I could make a valuable member of your team as demonstrated my performance in your class. I was wondering if you had any potential openings on a volunteer basis for any ongoing experiments. Closing...

Sincerely,
DbDan"

I sent out a similar e-mail to one of my professors and even though he did not have any positions that quarter, he did tell me that he had someone leaving in summer and that the position was mine if I would like it. By the time summer rolled around I already had a research position in something that was slightly more interesting to me and was resulting in promising results so I stuck with it and politely declined his request. Many professors are always looking for intelligent volunteer help in their labs. They can always use someone competent to verify experiments and do the basics, especially if they don't have to pay.

Now if you are looking for paid research experience you are going to have a much much more difficult time. Even with a degree and a year of research under my belt I haven't been able to land a simple lab tech job nearby despite applying to >60 over the last year (some I was qualified for others I was underqualified). It is increasingly difficult as research funding gets cut back

I went to a large school, and typically professors would announce during class that they have positions opening up and are taking on lab members. I got two lab positions in this manner, and usually a large number of people apply for it and I had to actually get interviewed for the position. My other long-term research was when a professor approached me about joining his team, and I have another friend who just joined that team in the same manner. If this hasn't happened to you yet and you're in grad school I would probably suggest emailing professors that have research focuses aligned with your own personal interests. Good luck!

Go the website of your local university and look through the science departments that you are interested. Once you have identified the area you want to work in then go to the faculty page and start going through the faculty members web pages. They specifically mention what they are working on. Put together a list of the people you would like to work with. Have more than one on your list. Then start emailing them individually with your intentions and wait. If you are volunteering you should not have to much of a problem finding someone to work with. If you want to be paid that's a different story. When you go to meet with professors make sure to ask the current students what it is like to work for them and what their publication record is like as well. This will give you a good idea if you will be able to publish in the amount of time that you are there.

Go the website of your local university and look through the science departments that you are interested. Once you have identified the area you want to work in then go to the faculty page and start going through the faculty members web pages. They specifically mention what they are working on. Put together a list of the people you would like to work with. Have more than one on your list. Then start emailing them individually with your intentions and wait. If you are volunteering you should not have to much of a problem finding someone to work with. If you want to be paid that's a different story. When you go to meet with professors make sure to ask the current students what it is like to work for them and what their publication record is like as well. This will give you a good idea if you will be able to publish in the amount of time that you are there.

:thumbup:

I'll definitely shoot some emails by UCF then, I just looked at their website and they happen to be working on some pretty neat stuff. It would be great if I could land a one day a week volunteer position doing some research, since I'm very busy with work and school right now. Thanks for your helpful tips!

Another question, for you that have done research, can you provide us with a day to day description what you when your doing your research?:rolleyes:

Thanks again!