GI fellowship applications for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:( Got a rejection from U. Chicago. You can find me by following the trail of tears...

Members don't see this ad.

But I remember someone saying that they have already selected their clinical Fellows and they were in ERAS process only for FUN and WASTING our MONEY.

HOW TO DEAL WITH THOSE PROGRAMS WHO ARE IN ERAS FOR FUN AND WASTING OUR MONEY AND ONLY WANTS TO COUNT THE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS TO THEIR PROGRAM? :rolleyes:

I'M FRUSTATED but again hopeful.:(
Do I have a choice other than being hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
:(:(:(:(:(:(
Has anyone heard from the NY Programs (apart from NYU, SUNY Downstate)?
How about St Luke's Roosevelt, SUNY Upstate Maimonides, NY Methodist etc?

Any word from Mayo Rochester?

No word from NY programs except NYU, SUNY Downstate. Also, no word from Mayo Rochester, but Mayo-Jacksonville did send out invites already.

But I remember someone saying that they have already selected their clinical Fellows and they were in ERAS process only for FUN and WASTING our MONEY.

HOW TO DEAL WITH THOSE PROGRAMS WHO ARE IN ERAS FOR FUN AND WASTING OUR MONEY AND ONLY WANTS TO COUNT THE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS TO THEIR PROGRAM? :rolleyes:

I'M FRUSTATED but again hopeful.:(
Do I have a choice other than being hopeful.

I think thats UIC not U of C, two different programs.

Hi guys,
I am also joining with collective group of hopefully waiting people, tho'
the wait is painful. :( so far only rejections , waiting for the good news...
Congrats for those who have got IVs...
Please tell us your IV experiences.

By the way I am also from a community program!

No word from NY programs except NYU, SUNY Downstate. Also, no word from Mayo Rochester, but Mayo-Jacksonville did send out invites already.

FYI: memorial sloan-kettering already sent out their interview offers

Just got home and got U. Pittsburgh snail mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Uni. colorado also didn't give a second thought to my application. I am glad as I didn't like the weather there anyways.:D

Got rejection from U of Utah on Sunday evening!! Got another rejection from Allegeny in pitt today.

Rejection-Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. Still hopeful for the good news soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quiet day today for invites, only news was rejections. Anyone get any interviews today?

anyone hear anything from U of Rochester?? so far, i think i've had 9 rejections, but U of R is the only one to offer me an interview...i'm starting to think it was a mistake ;-/ does anyone know anything about the program? thanks guys, i really wish we all could get in...

2 positions and 250 applications. This is becoming difficult now.

hey everyone, just joining now. I am applying for 2009 and have heard back from some places but I still think its still early in the process. Does anyone have advice on interview preparation??

How are you guys getting notified about rejections? Are you getting notified via emails or calling the programs to find about the status?

your answer for rejections, i have gotten 2 thus far, both via email. i have gotten offers via email and via phone call.

Hello all.. I am new to the group..and am going through the same stresses that are affecting you guys- partners in stress!!

I am from a community program - but was fortunate in getting 2 interviews- UVA and SUNY downstate.
Got rejections from Vanderbilt, Mass Gen, Utah, Colorado and Wake Forest.
Do you guys know besides these whick other progs sent off rejections?

All the best...

i have a friend that has interviews at cornell and columbia just to let people know..i haven't heard from either...

Well, here we are at the middle of the final week in January! Not sure how many Programs are still reviewing applications and wondering if the rest that are still silent mean that it's all over. I hope not. Looking at the 2008 thread, seems like February was a big month for responses. The rejections are coming fast and furious which is a slight improvement from the deafening silence that some of us have been experiencing in the past few weeks. Still at one interview but I must be grateful. Hoping and praying for more positive responses....
We can do this~!
Good luck to all!

U. of Ky decided on who they will invite for interviews today. Should be sent out soon.

Cleveland Clinic and Utah sent out interviews today. Good luck all!!

Has anyone heard from UMDNJ? Has anyone actually gone to any interviews yet? How did it go? Any feedback?

Interview offer from Univ of Utah this week...GIJoes, when are you going ?

GI hopeful, when are you going to SUNY downstate?

has anyone gone on any interviews, i am not sure what to expect. any advice on how to prepare?

has anyone gone on any interviews, i am not sure what to expect. any advice on how to prepare?

I have started an interview impression thread. Lets all contribute to that thread and keep this thread available for interview offers.

I am also starting a thread on posting the # of spots available for the # of applicants interviewed at specific programs if you know them.:)

I think instead of starting different threads it is better to continue this one and make it comprehensive for future applicants to include the interview offers, the experience during interview etc

I think instead of starting different threads it is better to continue this one and make it comprehensive for future applicants to include the interview offers, the experience during interview etc

No disrespect Constipation, but if you don’t want to contribute to the other threads, then you can do so here. I am trying to help others out by being more organized instead of having to shuffle through 4 pages of posts for future applicants (will probably hit 8 pages by match day).

Starting a new thread can still be accessed in the future by applicants and if you think about it, the title of the threads can tailor the future applicants to focus in on what they really want to know (i.e. # of spots/# interviewed, interview impressions, GI fellowship application for 2009).

FYI: since I started the thread a few hours ago, 45 people and 33 people have viewed it, so must have some relevance to access it.

Anyone heard about the Alabama progs- rejections/ acceptances?

Obviously a member of this thread interested in GI and who had matched last year or who is in the ERAS process now will be providing the Info in those other threads. And it will split the info.

No disrespect to u as well as there are many right ways that you can help others and provide info. Do whatever u r doing.
Keep it up!

Hola GIHopeful What do u mean by 6th Feb? Will they complete their review by 6th Feb?

A Question : How will I know that the programs that I applied have rejected my application as I may have applied to more than 25 programs who has already sent interviews offer and I have only received only 8 rejections and no response from these other programs.

:sleep:

GIJoes: If you decide not to attend Utah please let them know, I'm on their waiting list and hoping someone cancels soon.

Just found out about this forum today. Introducing myself... PGY2 IMG on H1 visa in a community program [affiliated to a major university].

Got calls from Univesity of Missouri Columbia [ in mid-Dec]and Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston [yesterday]. Rejections from alot of others including those mentioned previously on this thread.

One of my classmates at the same rogram [IMG with greencard] has calls so far from Medical College of Wisconsin, MIlwaukee and Mayo, Rochester [both 2 days back].

Hope this helps. Will update as and when more info is available.

Just got an interview from University of Kansas. Kansas City. Also got a message from Brigham and Women's... I think they have waitlisted me.

Just got an interview from University of Kansas. Kansas City. Also got a message from Brigham and Women's... I think they have waitlisted me.

Best of luck ayakkadam!! How did you manage to get interviews being from a community program? Research? publications??? I found that being in a community program is the biggest setback to get interviews.

Hi Ayakkadan,
What kind of research background do you have? Do you have letter from known GI faculty? Considering that you are an IMG from a community program on visa, you have nice interviews. Will appreciate your answer.

I do have big name referral letters... also publications in internal medicine from before joining for residency ... no GI papers or presentations. I don't know if my scores made a difference. No research at university or in my program [or in the US, for that matter]... no basic science research either.

Please note that I have only 3 interviews so far. The ones at Mayo and Wisconsin are for a friend from the same program. I have rejections so far from MGH, University of Rochester, University of Arkansas [non-ERAS application], University of Utah, UCSD, UMDNJ, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, UT Houston, University of Chicago and University of Colorado. Baylor may have waitlisted me... difficult to tell from their language.

Hay ayakkadan- nice to see you here..
Those programs where you got rejections from, were these through ERAS, or did you call them..
Congrats on your successes thus far!!

Well I am impressed. Is your program in Boston? as it seems the programs in that region are more impressed by ur achievements than others.
Well Done. I am an IMG from a Community hospital which has affiliation with a not a big name University program and I have one publication and 8 posters presentations and now at 9 rejections including UCSD today. No invites yet.

Someone please guide me.

Should I call all the programs that have not yet communicated with me and have either sent rejections or invitations for interview to other applicants.

Hello everyone,

Its wonderful hearing all the input from everyone on this forum everyday.

Just got a call from case western, Cleavland. ( by the way also IMG on Visa)

Good luck to all!!!

My program is not in Boston [or in massachussetts for that matter]. I did not call any of the programs. All the rejections I got were thru ERAS. Case Western is a great university... congratulations!

GIJoes: If you decide not to attend Utah please let them know, I'm on their waiting list and hoping someone cancels soon.

Don't worry, I will. I will be cancelling some other interviews to give others a chance from the wait list!! Good luck to those wait listed!!:D

Wash Univ/Barnes-Jewish, St. Louis interview offer today.

UCSD sent out rejections today, anyone got an interview from them?