GI fellowship applications for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E-mail rejections from University of Washington, Seattle and Mount Sinai, New York.

Members don't see this ad.

Also got rejection from U. Wash, but got offer from UAB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from univ of Rochester today..
No other news to report..

Hello I am brand new to this forum. I am an IMG at University IM program in the Midwest. After a ton of rejectons I finally got my first interview. Problem is thats its next week. Is it typical for programs to give applicants a weeks notice?
Has anyone heard from Chicago programs like Rush, Northwestern and Loyola, I got a reject from UofC and hear UIC filled clinical spots outside the match.

Most programs usually give you a month's notice or more before the interviews. Which is the program that has called you? Have you tried calling them to arrange an alternate day?

Hello I am brand new to this forum. I am an IMG at University IM program in the Midwest. After a ton of rejectons I finally got my first interview. Problem is thats its next week. Is it typical for programs to give applicants a weeks notice?
Has anyone heard from Chicago programs like Rush, Northwestern and Loyola, I got a reject from UofC and hear UIC filled clinical spots outside the match.
many places have a "hold" list, if not enough of the first wave people want to attend. Not saying this is your case, but this does tend to happen alot, as programs will first offer their interview spots to applicants they want the most.

hematemesis, I agree with the above statement. You were probably on an alternate list, but I would take an interview any way you get it. Congrats anyways.

FYI: I personally cancelled 2 interviews (1 in the West Coast and 1 in East Coast) so good luck to all of you on the wait list. Please don't ask me which interviews I cancelled because I want to keep it confidential.

Thanks for your input and encouragement everyone. Yes I shall keep the faith and take what I get.

Invite from University of New Mexico today, they have decided to go outside the match and will make offers within 3 weeks of completing their interviews. Not sure how I feel about this as I would only have completed 1/2 my interviews by then. Anyone have any thoughts?

Did u of new mexico call or contact via ERAS/or email. When are interviews?

Invite from University of New Mexico today, they have decided to go outside the match and will make offers within 3 weeks of completing their interviews. Not sure how I feel about this as I would only have completed 1/2 my interviews by then. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think that largely depends on what other interview offers, as well as how many other interview offers you get. It's hard to make that decision otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is isn't violation of match rules if they claim that they are participating in match and end up offering out of match? I understand for residencies some programs do because of the fear of unmatched positions but I don't know why they do it for fellowship especially for GI. They can fill GI even on June 30th for the same year without any problem. My guess is that they have to go through match for at least one spot if they are "in" the match. So Uni of NM may be offering 1-2 positions out of match, assuming they have 3, and 1 thru match.

Phone call interview from St. Luke's Roosevelt program in New York.

Is isn't violation of match rules if they claim that they are participating in match and end up offering out of match? I understand for residencies some programs do because of the fear of unmatched positions but I don't know why they do it for fellowship especially for GI. They can fill GI even on June 30th for the same year without any problem. My guess is that they have to go through match for at least one spot if they are "in" the match. So Uni of NM may be offering 1-2 positions out of match, assuming they have 3, and 1 thru match.

You are right, the program just needs to have a designated quota of their spots available for the match, but outside of the match is still legit. Much better this year than last year, from what i have heard.

You are right, the program just needs to have a designated quota of their spots available for the match, but outside of the match is still legit. Much better this year than last year, from what i have heard.

UNM never really said they were in the match, just that they were going through ERAS, I guess I just assumed they were in the match when I applied. I intentionally avoided applying to programs outside the match to avoid this same dilemma.

They have 4 spots by the way, don't know how many interviews offered.

Phone call interview from St. Luke's Roosevelt program in New York.
This is the first time I am seeing NY programs calling for interviews. Did any of you in the forum heard from NY programs, rejections? interviews? Congrats ayakkadan BTW!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen people getting interviews from NY Medical College, NYU, Cornell, and Columbia on the forum. I got a rejection from Mount Sinai... so I suppose the university programs in NY at least had called before this. By the way, does anybody have any more info on the St Luke- Roosevelt GI program?

Rejection from Mayo Scottsdale by e-mail

Got Reject from Mayo Scottsdale via sandstorm!

Rejection from Mayo, scottsdale and Mount Sinai, NY

Interview Mayo Scottsdale this week.
Rejection Univ of Rochester.

1. MGH--also sent rejections
2. Penn
3. Yale
4. Duke
5. Baylor (Houston)--also sent rejections
6. UT Houston--also sent rejections
7. Univ of Florida (Gainsville)--also sent rejections
8. South Florida
9. UVA
10. Indiana
11. NYU
12. BU
13. Louisville
14. Scott and White
15. Vanderbilt--also sent rejections
16. Ohio State
17. South Alabama
18. UCI
19. Aurora Sinai--also sent rejections
20. UCSF--rejections by snail mail
21. Georgetown
22. Emory
23. Wake Forest--also sent rejections
24. LSU
25. Iowa--also sent rejctions
26. University of Missouri-Columbia
27. Johns Hopkins
28. Univ of Michigan
29. NY Med
30. Emory
31. Brown
32. UTMB Galveston
33. William Beaumont
34. Mayo-Jacksonville--also sent rejections
35. SUNY downstate
36. St. Louis Univ
37. Univ of Chicago--also sent rejections
38. Univ of Colorado--also sent rejections
39. MSK
40. Univ of Pittsburgh
41. Univ of Utah--also sent rejections
42. Allegeny in Pittsburg--also sent rejections
43. Univ of Rochester
44. Ochsner Medical
45. Cornell
46. Columbia
47. Univ of KY--also sent rejections
48. Cleaveland Clinic
49. BIDMC
50. Med Coll Wisconsin
51. Mayo Rochester--also sent rejections
52. Univ of Kansas
53. Case Western
54. Wash Univ/Barnes-Jewish, St. Louis
55. Med College of Georgia
56. UMDNJ
57. Univ Louisville
58. Brigham and Womens--also sent rejections
59. UT San Antonio--also sent rejections
60. UCSF--also sent rejections
61. Univ of West Virginia (paper application)
62. Mayo, AZ--also sent rejections
63. Dartmouth
64. Mt. Sinai, NY--also sent rejections
65. UCSD--also sent rejections
66. Univ Chicago--also sent rejections
67. UMass
68. Univ Maryland
69. Yale, Bridgeport--by snail mail
70. Univ Rochester--also sent rejections
71. Univ TN (outside match)
72. Univ Washington, Seattle--also sent rejections
73. Univ Alabama
74. Univ New Mexico
75. St. Luke'e Roosevelt, NY (phone call)
76. MUSC
77. UTSW

Does anyone else know if more Chicago programs or NY programs not on the list offered interviews/rejections. I appreciate all the communication, keep it up.

Anyone know anyone who has gotten an interview at Mt Sinai? I know that they've hadnded out rejections, but I dont know of anyone who has gotten an interview.

Has anyone heard from Montefiorre?

Anyone know anyone who has gotten an interview at Mt Sinai? I know that they've hadnded out rejections, but I dont know of anyone who has gotten an interview.

Has anyone heard from Montefiorre?

My colleague received an interview at Mt. Sinai (and no, this isn't his home institution).

Just got a rejection from Henry Ford [by email]

same here, reject henry ford

GIJOES, addititon to your weekly list -

Rejection from Henry Ford today.:(

Did any one got interviews from New Jersey programs? UMDNJ

Rejection from Mayo, Jacksonville by e-mail

Got reject from Mayo Jacksonville via hurricaine and also Aurora Sinai via Email. I cannot understand why these programs take so long to send out rejects when it appears from this forum that others have received rejects much earlier. Does my application suck so bad that I am not worthy to be rejected in time with others??

Got reject from Mayo Jacksonville via hurricaine and also Aurora Sinai via Email. I cannot understand why these programs take so long to send out rejects when it appears from this forum that others have received rejects much earlier. Does my application suck so bad that I am not worthy to be rejected in time with others??

My guess is you were on a waiting list and no one cancelled

Rejection from Albany Medical College, NY by e-mail.

By the way, Albany said they are rejecting me because of my visa [H1], so they might still be early in their review process.

I do not know what is average # of interviews GI fellowship applicants received now. However, I had feeling that most of them received 10-15 interviews. This impression was obtained from some candidates that I met during interview. I asked every candidate that I met. Every one told me that they have around 10 interviews, no matter if they are AMG or FMG.

I am scared, how can they have so many? I only had few.

Yeah I know what you mean by not getting any responses (good or bad) as of now.

I applied to 37 programs, and have only gotten communication from one program: rejection from small program in PA.

I got an E-mail from Albany today saying that they are still reviewing my application.

Jeez. Taking forever to hear something from somewhere.

I got email from Albany stating they are still reviewing my application.
BUt I know one fo my friend he got invitation from Albany about 4 weeks ago.(Jan 2nd week)!

So I don't exactly know what's happening?!!

Albany said they are reviewing my application. I know what that means... rejection (like Aurora, henry ford etc.). Anyhow, it has became quiet since last week. So far we have 77 programs that responded in one way or the other. I hope the process is not over yet.

email from Albany saying that they were reviewing my application blah blah,
email reject from Duke . Interview offer waking me up from post night float from NY Medical College

E-mail rejection from Case Western today, too.