Glasgow c/o 2015!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is looking like I will also be joining the Glasgow Class of 2015! I will be bringing my fiance but he has also been accepted to do a PhD at Glasgow. We will be bringing our dog as well, although it is looking like he will have to stay behind because I'm afraid we have already reached inside the 6 month window. I am getting so excited/nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I hadn't had much success searching for airlines yet. Yes, they are all incredibly expensive! I've never made an international move before, and honestly, I don't know how I'm going to be able to part with all my things...:eek: Experienced international students suggest that I pretend I'm only packing for a three week vacation..

Thank you so much PJlovin for all the info! :)

I like British Airways - I signed up for their milage program and I've already got enough for a free flight back to the US! :D

Try not to worry about leaving your things behind. When I first came over, I had 3 huge bags. When I go back to the states I try to take 1 big bag and stuff another huge duffle bag inside of it (duffle's are good cause they can fold up well). Then I stuff both with as much as I can and head back to the UK with 2 more bags. :D It's taken me about 3 trips back to the US to get everything I wanted over here. But bare in mind, the flats here don't have a lot of storage. And if you're living in dorms, they have even less storage (next to none).

Things I would suggest to bring - any type of medication/toiletries you're fond of (ie cold meds, Tylenol, advil, chapstick, makeup etc.) They have meds here, of course, but I don't like any of the cold medications here - I always seem to go through 3 boxes of theirs to get the same effect as a single box of tylenol cold has back home. And the majority of freshers get sick when they first move here... and then again after xmas break. Airborne is good stuff too. :)
I shipped my printer over here so I stock up on printer ink everytime I'm in the states. There is a Staples in Glasgow, but it can be expensive. Pens & highlighters are also worth stocking up on. Avoid bringing notebooks/notebook paper or binders... the paper here is sized differently and the binders have 2 rings as opposed to the 3 ring ones were accustomed to back home.
A lot of US students will bring back snack food too - peanut butter (just doesn't taste the same here), easy mac, chocolate chip cookies, crystal light & gatorade powder packs.... there are stores where you can find american brands - but can be expensive - and there's also a Costco in Glasgow, but they don't carry all the American brands. So if you like a particular brand of something, and there's room in your suitcase, bring it along for the ride! :cool:

And if you're wondering if they have a certain brand of something over here, feel free to ask. If I don't know off hand - I'll find out for you. :)

Avoid bringing notebooks/notebook paper or binders... the paper here is sized differently and the binders have 2 rings as opposed to the 3 ring ones were accustomed to back home.

I learn something new every day on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha PJ, I am so glad you are back on here...I see a question and promise myself I will answer it later, and you've already answered it by the time I get back!!! :love:

Sorry to break in but my daughter had her interview for Glasgow in Boston on Thursday 2/18 and still has not heard... Mom's on pins and needles of course! Any chance they are still sending out acceptance emails???

Sorry to break in but my daughter had her interview for Glasgow in Boston on Thursday 2/18 and still has not heard... Mom's on pins and needles of course! Any chance they are still sending out acceptance emails???

They are for certain not finished with decisions just yet. Try to be patient!! I know it is hard!!!! :xf:

Also I am sure that there are a few applicants who got accepted and are declining invitation. Don't give up hope yet!

I like British Airways - I signed up for their milage program and I've already got enough for a free flight back to the US! :D

Try not to worry about leaving your things behind. When I first came over, I had 3 huge bags. When I go back to the states I try to take 1 big bag and stuff another huge duffle bag inside of it (duffle's are good cause they can fold up well). Then I stuff both with as much as I can and head back to the UK with 2 more bags. :D It's taken me about 3 trips back to the US to get everything I wanted over here. But bare in mind, the flats here don't have a lot of storage. And if you're living in dorms, they have even less storage (next to none).

Things I would suggest to bring - any type of medication/toiletries you're fond of (ie cold meds, Tylenol, advil, chapstick, makeup etc.) They have meds here, of course, but I don't like any of the cold medications here - I always seem to go through 3 boxes of theirs to get the same effect as a single box of tylenol cold has back home. And the majority of freshers get sick when they first move here... and then again after xmas break. Airborne is good stuff too. :)
I shipped my printer over here so I stock up on printer ink everytime I'm in the states. There is a Staples in Glasgow, but it can be expensive. Pens & highlighters are also worth stocking up on. Avoid bringing notebooks/notebook paper or binders... the paper here is sized differently and the binders have 2 rings as opposed to the 3 ring ones were accustomed to back home.
A lot of US students will bring back snack food too - peanut butter (just doesn't taste the same here), easy mac, chocolate chip cookies, crystal light & gatorade powder packs.... there are stores where you can find american brands - but can be expensive - and there's also a Costco in Glasgow, but they don't carry all the American brands. So if you like a particular brand of something, and there's room in your suitcase, bring it along for the ride! :cool:

And if you're wondering if they have a certain brand of something over here, feel free to ask. If I don't know off hand - I'll find out for you. :)

Ahh, PJlovin, can't thank you enough for all this info :)
lol, and when I read the peanut butter comment, I thought "aha, thats where that username comes from" (mistakenly remembering it as PBlovin)
Good to know about gumtree and the snacks! I have a pretty close relationship with Twix... will I have to bring them with me?

Mamagman, everyone's right, do not give up hope!! They have definitely not finished with their offers. I believe my friend got an offer from Glasgow about a month after her interview last year!

Ahh, PJlovin, can't thank you enough for all this info :)
lol, and when I read the peanut butter comment, I thought "aha, thats where that username comes from" (mistakenly remembering it as PBlovin)
Good to know about gumtree and the snacks! I have a pretty close relationship with Twix... will I have to bring them with me?

Mamagman, everyone's right, do not give up hope!! They have definitely not finished with their offers. I believe my friend got an offer from Glasgow about a month after her interview!

Congrats sailork!! :D:D

That's too bad about your dog.. Will you be bringing him later on then? The defra site also explains that your dog can come with you and stay the remainder of the six months in quarantine.:( Not ideal, but an option if you're just under a week or so.

Congrats sailork!! :D:D

That's too bad about your dog.. Will you be bringing him later on then? The defra site also explains that your dog can come with you and stay the remainder of the six months in quarantine.:( Not ideal, but an option if you're just under a week or so.

We will be bringing our dog over eventually... hopefully either family will bring him or we can get him at Christmas. It will all depend on when we plan on moving. I am so ready to get my formal letter in the mail to get all of the details!

Joyce says confirmations will be sent out this week :D

Members don't see this ad :)
She got in!!! Apparently Joyce sent her an email on the 19th and she didn't realize it had bounced back. We had ten days of torture!! My daughter will be with you in the class of 2015. We are so excited :):):)... and it is still sinking in. Lots of questions now, where to live, does she bring her puppy, etc. I am concerned about the post which said something about a dog and six months??? I will get my daughter to join SDN and take over the dialog, after all she is the one joining you... and I will just be there visiting all the darn time. Thanks to all for your words of encouragement. M

CONGRATS!!!! :D That email is bad news! I always fear that a life-changing email will go straight to my spam folder!

Here's the site for more information on the procedure to bring your dog into the UK. You must make sure that the veterinarian you go to is certified to help with international certificates and they will tell you everything you need. Monkeylove's post also tells you everything you need :)
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/index.htm

Just checking to see if anyone for Glasgow c/o 2015 is interested in sharing a flat. My daughter, Rachael, graduated from Univ. of MD; she will be 23 when class starts. We have very close friends in the UK, in fact Rachael was born in England, and she has friends who live outside of London, and others who are attending Uni down in Brighton. She is well traveled, fun loving, likes to have a good time (pubs are a specialty since we travel to the UK at least once a year), and would love to talk to someone about sharing a flat or a small cottage. We have a friend who is an estate agent in Glasgow and he is looking for something for us now. We are also considering buying a place after she has had a chance to figure out where she wants to live for 5 years! If you are interested let me know... M

Hey there MamaGman,

I am interested in a flat share. Have your daughter PM me!

So I am really confused about this whole process. When should I start filing for loans, when do I need to put in for my visa, and where can i look for a potential flat? Also what are the chances of my boyfriend being able to obtain a visa?

So I am really confused about this whole process. When should I start filing for loans, when do I need to put in for my visa, and where can i look for a potential flat? Also what are the chances of my boyfriend being able to obtain a visa?

Have you gotten your welcome packet yet? I remember that having a ton of info and a time line in it.

Otherwise, I would start filing for loans as soon as possible, because you need that info for your visa. Your visa you can apply for 3 months before you intend on arriving, so I would have all of you info ready to go around the end of June or July. Mine only took 2 weeks to process, but some people took longer, so try not to wait. As PJ said above, the places most people live are in Anniesland, Bearsden, Hyndland, or the West End. You can use a number of letting agencies like Cairn and Clyde, but be careful if you do end up using gumtree, as that can sometimes have scammers on it. I'm assuming you are looking for a 2 person with your boyfriend? I would expect to pay between 250-350 per month per person, slightly lower prices in Anniesland. Also, you can contact Joyce and have her forward the flats that current students are looking to move out of and want to sell. I believe those are posted online somewhere as well. Is your boyfriend looking to work or go to school while he is here? That would probably heighten the chances of him getting a visa.

Hope that helps your confusion a little bit!!

Well it looks like I'm going to be going to school with all of you guys!!! Assuming I don't get off either of the two waitlists I'm on I'll be attending the University of Glasgow c/o 2015!!! Congrats everyone and I can't wait to meet you all!

So I'm not going to be able to get over to Scotland until a month before classes. Do you think that is enough time to open a bank account and find a flat?

So I'm not going to be able to get over to Scotland until a month before classes. Do you think that is enough time to open a bank account and find a flat?

Of course it is..I set up my bank account during orientation week...Just call them ahead of time to set up an appointment. You'll be just fine, no worries!

I will have her get in touch. Another Glasgow c/o 2015 suggested east coasters get together b/f you all head over. We live in Columbia, MD and would be glad to host if we turn out to be the most centrally located... M

You cannot get over there any earlier than a month prior due to the visa, unfortunately. Sooo, you'll be fine :D

She got in!!! Apparently Joyce sent her an email on the 19th and she didn't realize it had bounced back. We had ten days of torture!! My daughter will be with you in the class of 2015. We are so excited :):):)... and it is still sinking in. Lots of questions now, where to live, does she bring her puppy, etc. I am concerned about the post which said something about a dog and six months??? I will get my daughter to join SDN and take over the dialog, after all she is the one joining you... and I will just be there visiting all the darn time. Thanks to all for your words of encouragement. M

Mama....that is GREAT NEWS. Congrats for your daughter :D. Now, where the heck is she?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had the login info for the moodle website that came with our interview information. I appear to have lost that one sheet. Thanks everyone! Also, my fiance and I are planning to travel for a month or so before we begin studies, but we were wondering about the visa situation we could enter into. Does anyone know if we would have to return to the states to change from a visitor's visa to a student visa? We would run into this issue because we may be entering over a month before school starts, and thus could not enter under the student visa. We are also talking about buying an apartment in Glasgow and was wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of that or would like to recommend areas to look. Thanks so much and looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had the login info for the moodle website that came with our interview information. I appear to have lost that one sheet. Thanks everyone! Also, my fiance and I are planning to travel for a month or so before we begin studies, but we were wondering about the visa situation we could enter into. Does anyone know if we would have to return to the states to change from a visitor's visa to a student visa? We would run into this issue because we may be entering over a month before school starts, and thus could not enter under the student visa. We are also talking about buying an apartment in Glasgow and was wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of that or would like to recommend areas to look. Thanks so much and looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Username:bigvet
Password:weevet

I am pretty sure that once you put in for a student visa you can not enter the country until a month before classes. I'm pretty sure you would need to return to the states as it is a different process. Buying an apartment the first year may be difficult as well. I have a good friend in Scotland(acutally a neighbor of James Herriot's son! small world haha) but she said that alot of owners in Scotland are not selling to people from overseas until credit is established in the UK or unless you can pay a pretty good chunk in cash.

Hmm look above for apartment ideas and areas, PJlovin and I have answered that for quite a few people. There are also lots of final years selling their places, so if you would like, I can forward any emails that come my way.

I don't think they will keep you from entering the country--isn't there a grace period anyways? You don't necessarily even need a visitor visa to just travel. I would talk to Joyce about it though. She is really great with that sort of thing.

I have not received mine yet either and I was starting to wonder about it.

Nope, been checking the mailbox everyday looking forward to it!!

Hmm look above for apartment ideas and areas, PJlovin and I have answered that for quite a few people. There are also lots of final years selling their places, so if you would like, I can forward any emails that come my way.

I don't think they will keep you from entering the country--isn't there a grace period anyways? You don't necessarily even need a visitor visa to just travel. I would talk to Joyce about it though. She is really great with that sort of thing.

Thanks, we would appreciate forwards from people looking to sell their flat. Also, we would probably be looking for at least basic furnishing from people that are leaving as well. PM me and I will send you my email.

Thanks, we would appreciate forwards from people looking to sell their flat. Also, we would probably be looking for at least basic furnishing from people that are leaving as well. PM me and I will send you my email.

Can you forward emails to me too!?

So around when do people start to sign for flats and stuff. My parents are telling me its too early, but I feel like if people are advertising for August openings already then its not too early right?

So around when do people start to sign for flats and stuff. My parents are telling me its too early, but I feel like if people are advertising for August openings already then its not too early right?

I've been wondering about that too, and my family and I were thinking about going to visit and apartment search in june or july for an august move-in.

I've been wondering about that too, and my family and I were thinking about going to visit and apartment search in june or july for an august move-in.

Keep in mind if you sign too early you'll get hit with council taxes, and you won't be able to get the student exemption until school starts.

Keep in mind if you sign too early you'll get hit with council taxes, and you won't be able to get the student exemption until school starts.

Thanks for letting me know, shortnsweet! How much is the council tax usually? I would like to avoid that payment for longer, but I'd really like to be all set up sooner and not be in a rush in august.

Thanks for letting me know, shortnsweet! How much is the council tax usually? I would like to avoid that payment for longer, but I'd really like to be all set up sooner and not be in a rush in august.

Hmmm...i'm not entirely sure because the rate fluctuates so much. I live in a 5 person flat, and until I worked out my exemption, they claimed we owed them 1700 quid for the month of August and up until Sept 14th(We did get an exemption though and it all worked out). Other people I know ended up paying 13 quid for the 2 days that proceeded classes. There are ways to get around it...esp if you start letting in july, but don't actually get into the country until Sept...but it's a really funny system!! Wish I had a more clear answer...but council tax is quite a dodgy thing!

Kinda random question.....I had some family problems recently and my grades have suffered a little bit. I am not failing but I may get like a C in Microbiology. I wasn't told that my acceptance was conditional but I dont know what Glasgow policy on this sort of thing is. They wouldnt rescind my acceptance right?

Kinda random question.....I had some family problems recently and my grades have suffered a little bit. I am not failing but I may get like a C in Microbiology. I wasn't told that my acceptance was conditional but I dont know what Glasgow policy on this sort of thing is. They wouldnt rescind my acceptance right?

Correct...unconditional means you are in. Technically (though not recommended) you don't even have to graduate from college now with another degree. A C won't hurt you :cool:

Correct...unconditional means you are in. Technically (though not recommended) you don't even have to graduate from college now with another degree. A C won't hurt you :cool:

They would have told me if my offer was conditional when they sent me the email after the interview right? Or would it be in my packet that I have yet to receive?

They would have told me if my offer was conditional when they sent me the email after the interview right? Or would it be in my packet that I have yet to receive?

um..they told me in my e-mail that I had an unconditional offer..so I am assuming they tell you either way.

Hmmm...i'm not entirely sure because the rate fluctuates so much. I live in a 5 person flat, and until I worked out my exemption, they claimed we owed them 1700 quid for the month of August and up until Sept 14th(We did get an exemption though and it all worked out). Other people I know ended up paying 13 quid for the 2 days that proceeded classes. There are ways to get around it...esp if you start letting in july, but don't actually get into the country until Sept...but it's a really funny system!! Wish I had a more clear answer...but council tax is quite a dodgy thing!

It does seem like there are a lot of rules and exemptions. Thanks for explaining! Were you saying that I'd start to be charged when I would start my lease in August or when I sign the lease earlier?

Also, does anyone know why is it that when I start an application on the Stafford loan website for graduate or private loans, it tells me U of Glasgow isn't an approved school on their lenders' list? Am I going about this the wrong way?

Also, does anyone know why is it that when I start an application on the Stafford loan website for graduate or private loans, it tells me U of Glasgow isn't an approved school on their lenders' list? Am I going about this the wrong way?

Well, I'm going to Edinburgh but I imagine Glasgow is in the same boat. Congress is currently changing the lending process and moving to a direct loan system. This means that the department of education will be your lender and not a middle man like Sallie Mae. However, we got an email from Edinburgh saying that they will be going through some training on the new process in May or June and that we will likely not be able to have our loans processed until after that time. The best thing you can do now is be sure to complete your FAFSA to get your SAR.

Hope that helps. This waiting game is frustating, I know.

It does seem like there are a lot of rules and exemptions. Thanks for explaining! Were you saying that I'd start to be charged when I would start my lease in August or when I sign the lease earlier?

Hmmm they TRIED to charge me because our lease started July 31st. We signed it back in April. But seeing as I am a first year and my flatmates are second years, they tried to claim I wasn't a student back in July. Basically I just got a letter from the school, our letting agency, and the vet office and brought it in to them to prove I had enrolled and was an official student, and that although my lease started in July, I didn't actually enter the country until Orientation week. When they realized that, they let me have the student exemption. I am not quite sure how it would work if your lease started in August and you entered then too...Sorry!!!

Hello Glaswegian (is that how you spell it?) students! I am now officially joining you guys in the Fall. I am terrified and excited!

Hmmm they TRIED to charge me because our lease started July 31st. We signed it back in April. But seeing as I am a first year and my flatmates are second years, they tried to claim I wasn't a student back in July. Basically I just got a letter from the school, our letting agency, and the vet office and brought it in to them to prove I had enrolled and was an official student, and that although my lease started in July, I didn't actually enter the country until Orientation week. When they realized that, they let me have the student exemption. I am not quite sure how it would work if your lease started in August and you entered then too...Sorry!!!

What are you sorry for! At least I know plenty more than I did about council taxes than I did 24 hours ago! I have a feeling the whole process of moving is going to take a whole lot of luck and persistence.

Thanks Dogtyred for the info! I'll start filling out my FAFSA asap!

Congrats Loolical on your decision!! I think terrified and excited is eXACTly how to describe it...