Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're going to the UK on the Queen Mary??? Oh how I WISH to travel across the atlantic on a ship! One of things on my bucket list is to do the world cruise on the QE2. What is the policy on the Queen Mary about bringing dogs?

Hey guys, I had called up the Queen Mary cruise ship company a few weeks ago and they told me that they no longer have a policy that allows for dog kennels on board. Spoke to a lot of people over there and the first 5 had no idea what I was talking about. Some of the Defra info online is not as up to date as it should be. Definitely worth calling to confirm officially.

Members don't see this ad.

Cunard definitely still has kennels on the Queen Mary. My two cats are on the waiting list for the August 8 cruise. However, you have to put a depoit down on a room (mine's completely refundable until May) before the kennel department will talk to you...

Yeah, they don't allow you to bring your dog in a crate and like keep it in your room, but they have 12 kennel spaces on some cruises. I am booked on July 6th and on the waitlist for August 8th. Yes, two deposits and i am playing the waiting game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a general question about bringing my dog over. He is a rescue from the SPCA and looks like a lab/boxer/possibly pitt mix. From what I understand, it is what a dog "looks" like, regardless of its parentage that classifies it as a 'dangerous dog'. Also, the ordinaces appear to say that a dog must have a 'substantial number of characteristics present', but not that it must meet say 6/10 to qualify. Also, if he is classified as such, what would be our options, could we send him back, or would they confiscate him? Basically, has anyone else been through a similar situation and have any thoughts/advice?

I have a general question about bringing my dog over. He is a rescue from the SPCA and looks like a lab/boxer/possibly pitt mix. From what I understand, it is what a dog "looks" like, regardless of its parentage that classifies it as a 'dangerous dog'. Also, the ordinaces appear to say that a dog must have a 'substantial number of characteristics present', but not that it must meet say 6/10 to qualify. Also, if he is classified as such, what would be our options, could we send him back, or would they confiscate him? Basically, has anyone else been through a similar situation and have any thoughts/advice?

Based on what I have heard about the UK, I would not bring any dog over that looks like a pitt bull. They are very serious about this ban and may just confiscate the dog and put it down. Its not worth the risk.

Flyhi,

What type of kennel do you have reserved and when do you have to respond by for your July cruise? These kennels are harder to get then a place in vet school :p

Flyhi,

What type of kennel do you have reserved and when do you have to respond by for your July cruise? These kennels are harder to get then a place in vet school :p

For the July cruise, i have two of the small upper ones (since my guys are only 5-6 lbs each.) They have a divider in the middle that can be taken out and made into one big kennel.

I was initially told you had to have one kennel per dog, but then for the august cruise, i was told I could get one of the bigger kennels for both. They are very hard to get, unless you plan way in advance.

My final deposit has to be in by April 7th. It goes on a graduated scale, so if i get on the August cruise and cancel July, i lose like 25% of my booking if it's done by sometime in May (I'm guessing on this. If you need the exact dates i can look them up).

Are you trying to get a kennel?

Based on what I have heard about the UK, I would not bring any dog over that looks like a pitt bull. They are very serious about this ban and may just confiscate the dog and put it down. Its not worth the risk.

I second this.

Thank you for that information Flyhi! Yes, I am looking for 2 upper kennels for my 2 cats. They initially told me I had to have 2 kennels for each cat, but then they said 2 kennels total would be OK. One of my cats is 17 and on medication so I think he would do much better on a boat than on a plane from California to London.

So...if you cancel your August trip, you can suggest they call Megan Tambaschi and I will be more than glad to take your kennels! Seriously, I understand how stressful this is and I think you're correct that if you cancel your July trip after April 7 they will take 25% of your deposit. My deadline for the August cruise is May 10...

Thank you for that information Flyhi! Yes, I am looking for 2 upper kennels for my 2 cats. They initially told me I had to have 2 kennels for each cat, but then they said 2 kennels total would be OK. One of my cats is 17 and on medication so I think he would do much better on a boat than on a plane from California to London.

So...if you cancel your August trip, you can suggest they call Megan Tambaschi and I will be more than glad to take your kennels! Seriously, I understand how stressful this is and I think you're correct that if you cancel your July trip after April 7 they will take 25% of your deposit. My deadline for the August cruise is May 10...

you're welcome. I'm actually confirmed for July and only waitlisted for August kennels! I hope you get on the cruise...hey, we may be boatmates! My stress is now over my visa since i will be arriving sooo early. i really, really need to get on that August cruise. Yipes...17? and from CA? Yes, i would definitely feel more comfy if the little guy went by boat....good luck!

if we end up cruising together, we'll have to hang out some. I'll be by my lonesome (even more stress!) :scared:

Definitely let me know if you're on the August cruise. I'd love to hang out!

I'm resurrecting this thread to pose a question for all of us traveling to the UK in the fall:

Is anyone else worried about this volcanic ash interfering with travel in the fall? A lot of scientists are still unsure about when this eruption will slow down or stop, and I'm half ready to book the QM2 on August 8th just to stop worrying about it.

I'm resurrecting this thread to pose a question for all of us traveling to the UK in the fall:

Is anyone else worried about this volcanic ash interfering with travel in the fall? A lot of scientists are still unsure about when this eruption will slow down or stop, and I'm half ready to book the QM2 on August 8th just to stop worrying about it.

Relax :cool:

You will be able to fly here safe and sound come August/ Sept...just as everyone already here will be able to come home after exams in the beginning of June. Airlines are already starting to partially re-open. No worries, my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
the ash IS affecting my visa letter getting to me, as i'm told by the university. ash, ash, go away! i did hear on the news that this fiasco may push GB into a recession. Could this perhaps help with the exchange rate?

Ouch! I hope this eruption doesnt last months. That would create even more chaos. I hope your Visa papers come through Erin! At least you'll be sailing and not have to worry about canceled transportation!

One good thing is that I hope the exchange rate favors us for awhile!!

I hope your Visa papers come through Erin! At least you'll be sailing and not have to worry about canceled transportation!

Unless, of course, my visa exception DOESN'T come through and i have to frantically fly back to the US to get my visa at the last minute :eek:. Yipes

I am thinking about applying overseas this upcoming app cycle. My questions for you guys are:

Did any of you get accepted with less than a 3.4 GPA?
What do they consider a Mature applicant? I see Dublin has a mature applicant application?? I am 30, so I figure in their eyes I am definitely mature. Do you think that my age would deter them from potentailly accepting me, where most of the students will be 18 or 19?? Just curious if I would be wasting my time?

What do they consider a Mature applicant? I see Dublin has a mature applicant application?? I am 30, so I figure in their eyes I am definitely mature. Do you think that my age would deter them from potentailly accepting me, where most of the students will be 18 or 19?? Just curious if I would be wasting my time?

I can't answer to the GPA question but I can tell you that I am 40 and Dublin accepted me. I don't know anything about the mature applicant application. I just filled out the normal VMCAS app. and their supplemental. So, to answer your question, your age will definitely not deter them from accepting you. Go for it! I have opted to go to Edinburgh because it seems to be a better fit for me but Dublin is a good school. Hope that helps.

Yeah, i was less than a 3.4, but have a crapbox of personal experience that i am guessing made up for it. Dunno. I am going to be 39 on Cinco de Mayo :eek:. DogTyred....did i KNOW you were older than me? I cannot actually believe it! Love it though.

What were the other questions? oh, i must already be getting senile. Crap. :scared:

oh yeah.....I remember. 'Mature'? i don't know, but 30 must be mature in my opinion. Has to be. I'm pushing old, so you have to be 'mature'.

I am thinking about applying overseas this upcoming app cycle. My questions for you guys are:

Did any of you get accepted with less than a 3.4 GPA?

i got into the five yr program (january late app) in edinburgh with a 3.31 gpa in undergrad-bio major at UF. I did have my fall grades for my master's (non-thesis in animal science) which was a 3.6 gpa, but I think as long as you have above a 3.0 and have a bunch of experience you should be fine.

I know people who were accepted who are over the normal college age (I am 23 which I guess falls into the traditional student at least for US students in the UK) so I would definitely apply. Good Luck this application cycle! :luck:

I have a 3.5 and was accepted into Dublin the first round. I am the traditional student though, 21 first year app... blah blah blah. But it does seem that if you have acceptable grades then you won't have a problem getting in. I also have a good amount of experience.

I am 23, and my GPA was a 3.36 when I applied. I was accepted to Dublin and Edinburgh into the 4 year program.

I'm going to be applying to Dublin and the UK schools this coming cycle. I know what the minimum requirements for classes are, but I haven't found min GPA, GRE, and experience hours yet. Does anyone know what they are and have tips?? Also, is UCD difficult to get into?

23, 3.4 GPA, was accepted to Glasgow and Dublin...you should check out the successful app thread...should give you a good idea about everyone

min requirements for Glasgow is around a 3.2, I think, but people who have lower do get in. Don't need your GRE scores for Glasgow or UCD...and as long as you have a lot of varied experience...you are golden.

I'm going to be applying to Dublin and the UK schools this coming cycle. I know what the minimum requirements for classes are, but I haven't found min GPA, GRE, and experience hours yet. Does anyone know what they are and have tips?? Also, is UCD difficult to get into?

Keep in mind that Glasgow and RVC require interviews, whereas Dublin and Edinburgh do not. If you live in a major city like San Francisco or New York, transportation is not a huge issue.

UCD requires a supplemental application, which wasn't difficult to fill out. They have their own personal statement section. I applied through VMCAS and had to write two personal statements, but they were directed differently with some information being the same. I didn't apply to RVC, so I don't know if they have a supplemental.

I definitely agree that you should have a variety of experiences. I have mostly SA experience, but have some LA/equine/exotic experience as well. I think I only had about 2500 hours when I applied.

It can't hurt to apply to these schools anyways if they don't require a supplemental application. No extra effort is put in, only money. My GRE scores were not great (460/710/5.0), but I still got in. My GPA was just under what they required for their 4 year program (3.36), but I still got in. However, my science and last 45 were close to 3.7. I don't know if they look at those though. I would think that if you had at least a 3.0, you'd have a fairly good chance.

I don't think the amount of experience matters nearly as much as the US schools due to the EMS requirements. They make sure you get the varied experience while in the program. I'm sure the experience helps your app, I'm just saying that I certainly did not have it and it did not hurt mine - which is why the UK schools were most attractive to me. I do, however, have a ton of business/professional experience as I have had two solid careers up to this point. I simply did not have the time or interest to rack up thousands of hours just to apply in the US. Maybe for a trad student the vet experience is much more important than a non-trad. It does seem that they look at the big picture for each applicant.

I don't think the amount of experience matters nearly as much as the US schools due to the EMS requirements. They make sure you get the varied experience while in the program. I'm sure the experience helps your app, I'm just saying that I certainly did not have it and it did not hurt mine - which is why the UK schools were most attractive to me. I do, however, have a ton of business/professional experience as I have had two solid careers up to this point. I simply did not have the time or interest to rack up thousands of hours just to apply in the US. Maybe for a trad student the vet experience is much more important than a non-trad. It does seem that they look at the big picture for each applicant.

It's true....I have been told many times that UK schools especially look at the student as a whole. They want to make a solid class, of people who will make excellent vets, and can have strong client/vet relationships. It isn't so much a numbers game over here, as much as it is who you are.

The one interesting comparison you might want to keep in mind is that it may be harder to get into US schools, but once you are in, they have a higher retension rate...UK schools differ slightly in that it is "easier" to get in, but much harder to stay in...repeating years seems to be much more common. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the responses, I have a MS, tons of vet experience(lab animal, small animal, wildlife, large animal, farm animal) My MS GPA is great, but when my undergrad, not so much(it's not bad, but it's average). So when you combine to come up with a cumulative it is less than 3.4 :(
But, based on what everyone is saying, I am going to apply to the UK schools. I would love to study abroad! I am Irish so I would love to go back to where my grandparents were born! I have never been so it would be an excellent journey! COngrats to all of you who are starting that journey:)

Thanks for all the responses, I have a MS, tons of vet experience(lab animal, small animal, wildlife, large animal, farm animal) My MS GPA is great, but when my undergrad, not so much(it's not bad, but it's average). So when you combine to come up with a cumulative it is less than 3.4 :(
But, based on what everyone is saying, I am going to apply to the UK schools. I would love to study abroad! I am Irish so I would love to go back to where my grandparents were born! I have never been so it would be an excellent journey! COngrats to all of you who are starting that journey:)
Thanks! And good luck to you next cycle! :)

Thank you guys so much for the great responses! You have no idea how much they've put things into perspective.

Resurrecting this as I get my Visa and everything in order to go. :)

Flyhi- so you've cancelled your cruise for tommorrow to take your little ones all together in August, right?

We decided a while ago that taking ours on the airline would be the better option for him but I'm still stressing about how he's going to handle it, going through the airport, etc. : /

For those of you taking pets, since we'll have to secure private accomodation, are you going to stay at a pet-friendly hotel until you secure a place? That was my original plan, but I'm worried about how long we'll get stuck there since it's going to be so expensive.

Hey pyxstyx! I can't believe it, but yes, i would have been going today! Now i'm leaving Aug 8th. I'm sure everything will work out for you and flying over. When are you leaving?

You can check out the Dick Vet thread, but a lot of people are staying in a pet-friendly B&B. I'm trying really hard to get a flat prior to going over, but if I can't, I guess i'll do the same. Let us know what you end up doing.

The one interesting comparison you might want to keep in mind is that it may be harder to get into US schools, but once you are in, they have a higher retension rate...UK schools differ slightly in that it is "easier" to get in, but much harder to stay in...repeating years seems to be much more common. Just a thought.

That's definitely true... during our orientation our course organizer informed us North Americans of the UK marking scheme, which is vastly different from the North American scheme. Most North American students came in with undergrad averages in the 80's or 90's, whereas a 60 is considered a good mark over here (class averages for each exam this year were all in the 55-62 range). He closed his spiel up with something I'll never forget:

"For most of you in this room, it's not a matter of IF you're going to fail an exam here over the coming years, it's a matter of WHEN".

His words proved true; every exam we had at least 10% of the class failed, and a whole 25% of the class failed the physiology exam.There isn't nearly the stigma attached to failing over here that there is in North America... many students take an extra year to finish the course. Just work hard and pray you're not one of them :)

Aagh, I've heard that bit about higher failure rates in UK schools versus US schools and it freaks me out! Eek! : /

Flyhi, We're still not sure yet as to our exact date. My husband and I are trying to price it out right now and figure out which way is cheaper (flying separately, securing flat and THEN bringing dog, or flying the whole family over and figuring it out when we get there.) Either way, it's scary and pricey and nerve-racking all the same. :)
I would have loved to do the cruise in August, but the RVC still hasn't notified us about our student loans yet, so I haven't even been able to apply for my visa yet! I'm kinda freaking out about it. I'm guessing the rest of the UK schools have got that figured out by now...?
When is your start date? Are you heading over on a travel visa to get there so early?

Hi! Just wanted to ask if anyone accepted took some or any of their science prereqs at a community college? I have a bunch I'll be taking from this year, and got kinda worried that UK schools may not accept these..
Should contact schools individually, but thought of asking here first :)
Getting a license to work in Europe sounds hella exciting and full of possibilities!!

Hi! Just wanted to ask if anyone accepted took some or any of their science prereqs at a community college? I have a bunch I'll be taking from this year, and got kinda worried that UK schools may not accept these..
Should contact schools individually, but thought of asking here first :)
Getting a license to work in Europe sounds hella exciting and full of possibilities!!

Yes, I took my Microbio at community college, since it was half the price and at night so it didn't interfere with my job. RVC never asked me about it. I think as long as it is an accredited program/school they won't have a problem with it.

what is the best (read: cheapest) way to deposit USD into a UK bank account? I can wire from my US acct ($40 wire fee on this end), write a US check, or bring a traveller's check/sterling check (last choice).

Thanks!

what is the best (read: cheapest) way to deposit USD into a UK bank account? I can wire from my US acct ($40 wire fee on this end), write a US check, or bring a traveller's check/sterling check (last choice).

Thanks!

It depends on which bank you use and what your current location is. If you're in the US, the cheapest way is probably to initiate a wire transfer to your UK account, or go to your branch and ask them to issue you a check in sterling (if they offer that service).

If you're in the UK, that USD check will need to be "collected," which describes the process by which the UK bank physically collects your USD check, physically sends it to their international banking department, which physically sends it (via some form of snail mail, although it may be courier, depending on the bank) to the US bank on which the check is drawn, and then negotiates a conversion rate. Once this is agreed upon, the US bank sends the funds to the UK bank, and once received, those funds are made available to you. For this convenience, your UK bank will charge you a collection fee which is (IIRC) based on the value of the check being collected.

I chose the collection method with my first loan check because I wasn't aware that everything was actually done with the physical check (silly me, I thought that financial transactions were mostly electronic these days), and waited 30 days for the money to be cleared into my account. So, now I get my loan checks in the UK, and either bring them home with me on break to deposit, or else I FedEx the checks to my branch officer in NYC, and she deposits them for me. Either way, I then wire money from the US to the UK. I may pay a little extra ($40 for the FedEx) + the wire transfer fee, but it's worth it to have my money in about 4-5 days instead of 30.

Just checking in to see how everyone else making the move is doing. :)

For those of you going on the QM2, you're leaving in a couple days!!! Are you excited?!? Nervous?!?! How much luggage are you taking? No problems getting the Veterinary certificates for your little ones?

I've been looking for a temporary pet-friendly apartment/hotel in London and it feels so hard! Everything's either MAYBE pet-friendly, maybe not, or costs an arm and a leg per night. Where is everyone else staying with their pets until you find a place?

I'm getting kind of nervous about being able to find a good place once we get there, too. It feels like the rents per week I see online are going up the closer we get to moving!
Plus, no one here in CA understands how we could possibly be moving without knowing exactly where we're going to live once we get there. I know it's just that they don't get it, that things work differently there than they do here, but everyone is freaking me out! Anyone feeling similar...?

For those of you going on the QM2, you're leaving in a couple days!!! Are you excited?!? Nervous?!?! How much luggage are you taking? No problems getting the Veterinary certificates for your little ones?

I've been looking for a temporary pet-friendly apartment/hotel in London and it feels so hard! Everything's either MAYBE pet-friendly, maybe not, or costs an arm and a leg per night. Where is everyone else staying with their pets until you find a place?

I'm getting kind of nervous about being able to find a good place once we get there, too. It feels like the rents per week I see online are going up the closer we get to moving!
Plus, no one here in CA understands how we could possibly be moving without knowing exactly where we're going to live once we get there. I know it's just that they don't get it, that things work differently there than they do here, but everyone is freaking me out! Anyone feeling similar...?

Hey, have you tried looking for pet friendly B&Bs through http://www.bedandbreakfastsearcher.co.uk/ I used this to plan my road trip from London to Edinburgh with my dog. Good luck! Everyone is in a pretty similar boat, I leave in 17 days and I'm feeling a jumble of emotions that its getting pretty hard to handle at times. Everything will fall into place!

pyxystyx - My husband and I (and our 2 cats) are staying at the Citadines London Barbican. The room has a kitchen area and the hotel is definitely pet friendly. They charge 5GBP per night for the pets and don't require a deposit. Are you in the G&T year at RVC? I can't wait to start!

pyxystyx - My husband and I (and our 2 cats) are staying at the Citadines London Barbican. The room has a kitchen area and the hotel is definitely pet friendly. They charge 5GBP per night for the pets and don't require a deposit. Are you in the G&T year at RVC? I can't wait to start!

Mmtambaschi-Thanks, I'm going to look into that one more! I was almost ready to book one of the Ibis hotels, but those may be a better deal with the mini kitchen...
I'm going to be in the 5-year, since I was actually accepted last year and had deferred. I'm excited too!!! :) When are you guys arriving? How is your husband feeling about it all?

pyxystyx - We're arriving on Aug. 18 - only 1 week away! My husband is doing pretty well. He's going to apply for a couple of jobs next week and then will continue to look once we get there. We received our visas yesterday so we're much less stressed. Plus, we were able to rent a place online so we can move in there on the 19th. It's about a mile from RVC.

When are you ariving? What kind of pet are you bringing?

AHHHHHHH!!! Leaving tomorrow! :eek: All of the packing is finished, thank goodness. Vet certs were the easiest of the process, it seems. Hardest part was packing. How much am i taking? Well, let's put it this way.....i filled up the back of a Toyota Sequoia :scared: We'll see if there is any room to sleep in my stateroom once i get it all in there. Bringing my mountain bike, since i want to continue racing. That took up a lot of room.

I'm staying in a festival let for 9 days while i flat hunt. I found the place on Gumtree and the girl has been fantastic. I had a current vet student go check it out and it should work fine. I am stressed about finding a flat once i get there and then having to lug everything around again.

When are you leaving and how are you getting there? You were accepted to both Edinburgh and RVC, correct?

pyxystyx - We're arriving on Aug. 18 - only 1 week away! My husband is doing pretty well. He's going to apply for a couple of jobs next week and then will continue to look once we get there. We received our visas yesterday so we're much less stressed. Plus, we were able to rent a place online so we can move in there on the 19th. It's about a mile from RVC.

When are you ariving? What kind of pet are you bringing?

Ah, I'm jealous!!! How were you able to secure a place online? Everywhere I looked required a viewing in person before signing a lease.
We're bringing our 6yo Doxie/Chi mix. He's about 14lbs. I'm the most stressed about how he'll take the flight. He's much more acclimated to sleeping on our Vera Wang mattress and down comforter than a padded crate. : /

We ended up going with the Ibis Euston, as I figured it'll be closer to the area we'll want to be looking for a flat in.

I JUST got my loan letter in a couple days ago (thank GOD! I was starting to worry) so we're doing our applications today and flying out on Sept. 15th,, arriving on the 16th @ noon. :)

My husband's been looking for work too, but felt like he couldn't apply until we had our visas in process (since that makes it legal). What does your hubby do? Maybe they can network... or something... lol. :)

AHHHHHHH!!! Leaving tomorrow! :eek: All of the packing is finished, thank goodness. Vet certs were the easiest of the process, it seems. Hardest part was packing. How much am i taking? Well, let's put it this way.....i filled up the back of a Toyota Sequoia :scared: We'll see if there is any room to sleep in my stateroom once i get it all in there. Bringing my mountain bike, since i want to continue racing. That took up a lot of room.

I'm staying in a festival let for 9 days while i flat hunt. I found the place on Gumtree and the girl has been fantastic. I had a current vet student go check it out and it should work fine. I am stressed about finding a flat once i get there and then having to lug everything around again.

When are you leaving and how are you getting there? You were accepted to both Edinburgh and RVC, correct?

Flyhi- yep, well kinda. :) Last year I was accepted to RVC, Dublin, and Glasgow. Of the 3 I ended up picking RVC, and then had to defer my enrollment for a year.
Were the vet certs really the easiest of the process for you??? I'm stressing about that, since it has to be no earlier than 10 days I feel like I'm going to be down to the wire and having to do a million other things around the same time last minute! EEK!

pyxystyx - i didn't have to do the vet cert since we went on a boat. Good Luck!

REALLY? You didn't have to do the vet cert AT ALL if you go on the QM2?!?!?! That just seems... weird to me! But jeez, would be nice to have one less thing to worry about. :(