Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have anything illuminating to say about the Financial Guarantee? I'm still waiting on the whole "legislation" that is out on the Stafford loans and I got pre-approved for a GradPlus loan but don't want to sign my MPN until I get info on how much Stafford I can get. (it said somewhere on the GradPlus MPN in the fine print how the amount of grad plus you get before you sign up for stafford can affect your stafford)

So....what do we need to do as far as the financial guarantee thing is concerned, get a definite yes or no from a bank/lender/guarantor or do we just need to sign it? Slightly confused. I'll e-mail Yvonne but I figured if anyone else had a clue (maybe I didn't read something right) it would be helpful to know. May isn't really that far away in the whole scheme of things.

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing it through FAFSA correct? I think you just send the information to Edinburgh (or Dublin or what have you) and then they OK it, lay it out for you (Subsidized, unsubsidized, GRad PLUS amounts), you OK that, pick your bank, the bank 'squees' in glee at all the interest it'll be getting, and then they send the money to the respective college. Then the college sends a confirmation and you use that as your Guarantee.

On another note: man I'm glad that tuition is fixed at Edinburgh, I just noticed it went up 1,300 pounds in one year! From 20,900 to 22,200!

Nah, see I did my FAFSA, listed Edinburgh and then applied for my Stafford MPN through Sallie Mae and talked to some dude on the phone and he said that they participated in the FFELP Stafford loans.

I e-mailed Jennifer Brown and she said that the legislation was still out on whether or not they will be participating in the FFELP this coming year, and that I am going to just have to wait and see what happens because the school cannot approve any set amount of Stafford, whether it be subsidized or unsubsidized. She mentioned "limbo" and other frightening terms so I think I'll just have to wait on the stafford for the moment. I'm pretty sure I got my steps in the process right, FAFSA, MPN with correct school, Student Aid Report +MPN gets looked at by Edinburgh and they tell Sallie Mae how much of what I can get....only issue was Edinburgh doesn't know if they can tell Sallie Mae what I can get because the government is changing FFELP.

She said that if it falls through, I would have to apply directly to the federal government for my stafford. = LAME

If anyone else wants more info, I can copy/paste the e-mail I got from her, but basically what I wrote above is what she said. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...then I have no idea.

Glad I didn't turn down Kansas yet! Sounds like Uncle Sam might not want to fund us going overseas any more. I do think that bill will get shot down/die in committee for the first year but if they're going to keep us in limbo until Congress gets their heads out of their asses, we likely will not be given funds in enough time.

Thank you sooo much for all the advice, I was really lost about cost specifically for Dublin and stuff (and even rounded numbers help!). My plan upon graduation is to pretty much come back home and work my butt off, I feel like I would really want to get started right away and I don't plan on having kids for quite awhile (if I even have them at all). I'm pretty sure all that debt is going to hang over my head until I pay it off no matter where I wind up. I really feel like Dublin would be an amazing place to go, so I guess it's just a matter of weighing the costs and benefits! I'm glad to hear it get's your recommendation though;) I will probably be pestering you with more questions as time goes on, but for now thanks so much for your help!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Anytime!

does anyone know the FAFSA code for Dublin? I'm sure someone has posted it in this thread but for the life of me I can't find it

Does anyone have anything illuminating to say about the Financial Guarantee? I'm still waiting on the whole "legislation" that is out on the Stafford loans and I got pre-approved for a GradPlus loan but don't want to sign my MPN until I get info on how much Stafford I can get. (it said somewhere on the GradPlus MPN in the fine print how the amount of grad plus you get before you sign up for stafford can affect your stafford)

So....what do we need to do as far as the financial guarantee thing is concerned, get a definite yes or no from a bank/lender/guarantor or do we just need to sign it? Slightly confused. I'll e-mail Yvonne but I figured if anyone else had a clue (maybe I didn't read something right) it would be helpful to know. May isn't really that far away in the whole scheme of things.

I have a SAR from FAFSA and an MPN from SallieMae. I have not applied for the GradPlus loan yet. Do you think I should do that now or wait. Like you said, I don't want it to affect the amount of Stafford I can get.

This is pretty frustrating and I think it's only the beginning of the frustrations with going to school abroad. Oh well, though. It will all be worth it I believe.

does anyone know the FAFSA code for Dublin? I'm sure someone has posted it in this thread but for the life of me I can't find it

I stumbled across it on the SallieMae website trying to figure out this financial aid. It is 010188 according to them.

Ok here's a stupid question, but how do you pronounce Edinburgh?

Is it Ed-in-berg or Ee-den-berg or like the Scots seem to pronounce it, Ed-in-bruh?

Ed-n-burrow but the burrow is more like a burr-uh

I have a SAR from FAFSA and an MPN from SallieMae. I have not applied for the GradPlus loan yet. Do you think I should do that now or wait. Like you said, I don't want it to affect the amount of Stafford I can get.

This is pretty frustrating and I think it's only the beginning of the frustrations with going to school abroad. Oh well, though. It will all be worth it I believe.
you can get preapproved and just not sign your MPN. I got approved for 45k through wellsfargo but haven't signed my MPN for GradPlus because I want to wait and see if I can get anything substantial from the stafford.

Ed-n-burrow but the burrow is more like a burr-uh
Interesting...I wonder how that came about, because the spelling is nothing like the phonetics.

Course we have a myriad of oddities about 'Americanized English' so...but usually there's a legit reason for it. Wonder what the reasoning behind 'burgh' and 'burra' is?

Interesting...I wonder how that came about, because the spelling is nothing like the phonetics.

Course we have a myriad of oddities about 'Americanized English' so...but usually there's a legit reason for it. Wonder what the reasoning behind 'burgh' and 'burra' is?

It probably has to do with the Gaelic language. who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know, but it makes me batty when the same people keep asking me about going to "Edinberg" after I've made a point to pronounce it at them a few times! :D

Eh I say Edinberg because it sounds better IMO. Will change it once I get over there but until then, they rhyme with icebergs.

Eh I say Edinberg because it sounds better IMO. Will change it once I get over there but until then, they rhyme with icebergs.

It sounds better?? Seriously??? Lol..Don't let any Scots hear you say that...they already make fun of Americans enough for how we pronounce things. Please tell me the way you say Glasgow doesn't rhyme with 'cow'.

Just wait until you are sitting in class and hear 'capillary', 'trachea', and 'cervical' for the first time...

Here is what I got in reply from Yvonne about the financial guarantee form. I was a bit stressed because of the "legislation" going around for the Stafford and was wondering how I was going to get this all figured out, but apparently this is just a "you do know this costs money right?" form.
Thank goodness!!!:p
Hope this helps, it did me a lot I think I'm going to fill it out and pay my deposit soon. Gah

The Financial guarantee form is not really an official document so we do not need the lists of names of providers that you are going to for your loans. This is basically a way for us to confirm that you are aware of the financial commitment that it takes to study at Edinburgh. Please feel free to state that you are in the process of organising funding.

Here is what I got in reply from Yvonne about the financial guarantee form. I was a bit stressed because of the "legislation" going around for the Stafford and was wondering how I was going to get this all figured out, but apparently this is just a "you do know this costs money right?" form.
Thank goodness!!!:p
Hope this helps, it did me a lot I think I'm going to fill it out and pay my deposit soon. Gah

The Financial guarantee form is not really an official document so we do not need the lists of names of providers that you are going to for your loans. This is basically a way for us to confirm that you are aware of the financial commitment that it takes to study at Edinburgh. Please feel free to state that you are in the process of organising funding.

Well that makes me feel considerably less stressed out the possibility if I do decide to go to U of E. *wipes brow*

Please tell me the way you say Glasgow doesn't rhyme with 'cow'.
Uhm....:oops: Here's a better question: how do THEY say it? Glass-go?

Aren't they kind of ignoring the principles of the English language then? I mean they're creating phonetics where none are even indicated. Do they call a 'cow' a 'co'?

Just wait until you are sitting in class and hear 'capillary', 'trachea', and 'cervical' for the first time...
Wanna provide spoilers?

Aren't they kind of ignoring the principles of the English language then? I mean they're creating phonetics where none are even indicated. Do they call a 'cow' a 'co'?

Wanna provide spoilers?

They aren't ignoring the principles of the English language just because they speak with a non-American accent. If anybody is, Americans are because English was spoken in Scotland long before it ever was in America. It doesn't make sense to say they are "Creating phonetics where none are even indicated." No one creates phonetics- it's a universal set of symbols indicating sounds. The phonetics of a word such as "Glasgow" would be written out however the word sounds when people speak it. The word doesn't "indicate phonetics" until it's written out in phonetics.

I don't know if they would really call a cow a "co," but it doesn't make their accent any weirder than ours even if they do. There are plenty of examples in American English of words that have the same spellings but are pronounced differently.

I'm not saying thick Glasgow accents are easy to understand, but they aren't ignoring principles of English. Just don't come here and tell people they are pronouncing things wrong in their own country and native language!

I wouldn't tell them they're pronouncing it wrong but the same should apply to them too no? English is my native language as well.

The word doesn't "indicate phonetics" until it's written out in phonetics.
The word does indicate phonetics by the way it's spelled. That's how we know that 'turtle' isn't pronounced the same as 'watermelon', they're spelled completely different.

It seems odd to me to pronounce something 'burro' when it's spelled as 'burgh'. There's not even an 'o' in the word to indicate an 'o' sound.

There are plenty of examples in American English of words that have the same spellings but are pronounced differently.

Yes but surely those are shared? Read can be pronounced 'red' and 'reed' in so called American English, but I assume they would pronounce it the same way?

I wouldn't tell them they're pronouncing it wrong but the same should apply to them too no? English is my native language as well.

It'd be nice, but that's not the way it works. IMO, with all the other stresses that come with moving overseas, its not worth dealing with people riding your *** just because you won't pronounce it correctly. You're already on thin ice, being American and all :p.

Wanna provide spoilers?

You are being an awfully close minded American saying something like that don't you think?? The Scottish accent was around long before the US was even established as a country...How are they "ignoring" the principles of the English language?? Does that mean that all of the romance languages are wrong too because they do not pronounce every letter as it appears???

And yes...it is like "go", but they say cow like "coo".

"burgh" is turned into the "burah" sound, as they were all originally boroughs, and in gaelic, the "gh" sounds like an "uh" sound. It might seem odd to you, but did you ever think the reverse sounds odd to them?? You are from Texas, no? That seems to be the accent I most frequently hear being made fun of here...

"trachea" sounds like "tra-KEY-ya"...but that doesn't make it wrong or better, it just makes it different. If you are gonna go to Dick Vet, you should probably say the capital city name correctly ;)

You are being an awfully close minded American saying something like that don't you think?? The Scottish accent was around long before the US was even established as a country...How are they "ignoring" the principles of the English language?? Does that mean that all of the romance languages are wrong too because they do not pronounce every letter as it appears???

"burgh" is turned into the "burah" sound, as they were all originally boroughs, and in gaelic, the "gh" sounds like an "uh" sound. It might seem odd to you, but did you ever think the reverse sounds odd to them?? You are from Texas, no? That seems to be the accent I most frequently hear being made fun of here...

"trachea" sounds like "tra-KEY-ya"...but that doesn't make it wrong or better, it just makes it different. If you are gonna go to Dick Vet, you should probably say the capital city name correctly ;)

Heeey, please don't stereotype Texans! I was born and raised here and certainly don't have an accent. I don't drive a truck, know how to lasso, wear cowboy boots OR ride horses either. ;)

Heeey, please don't stereotype Texans! I was born and raised here and certainly don't have an accent. I don't drive a truck, know how to lasso, wear cowboy boots OR ride horses either. ;)

Lol..I am not saying I do!! But Europeans seem to think all Americans talk with those think Texan accents and wear cowboy hats:D

^^^^ and I however am the walking verification of the stereotype. Except for the lasso. I never could get that one right. *sigh* As with many stereotypes, this one started with some teensy basis in fact.

Lol..I am not saying I do!! But Europeans seem to think all Americans talk with those think Texan accents and wear cowboy hats:D

People from Upstate New York too, haha! Oh well, I've gotten used to it. :p

at the risk of adding to the ignorant, how else do you pronounce trachea???

I guess I say more of a tray-key-ya?? is that different?

at the risk of adding to the ignorant, how else do you pronounce trachea???

I guess I say more of a tray-key-ya?? is that different?

The way I have always heard it in the States is more or "Trake-e-a" so the beginning sounds like "rake" and the end is softer. The Scots and Brits emphasize the middle so it is more of "truh-KEEEY-yah". Haha this is hard to type out...like I said, sitting in class, you will hear all of these differences very clearly :laugh:

You are being an awfully close minded American saying something like that don't you think?? The Scottish accent was around long before the US was even established as a country...How are they "ignoring" the principles of the English language??
No I don't think I'm being closed minded. Closed minded would be totally ignoring the differences and not seeking to see their side of things, where as I'm asking why they do it a certain way.

And just because their country has been around longer doesn't mean they're the authority on English. Their form of English has evolved just like ours has, just down two different evolutionary paths. I am quite certain that they don't speak the same form as they did in the 1500s.

Does that mean that all of the romance languages are wrong too because they do not pronounce every letter as it appears???
No, but Spanish is called Spanish for a reason: it's not English. Different rules apply to them. You would think that with the same language, the rules would be the same as to pronunciation.

"burgh" is turned into the "burah" sound, as they were all originally boroughs, and in gaelic, the "gh" sounds like an "uh" sound.
Thank you, this is what I'm looking for. An actual explanation as to WHY it's different instead of just 'it just is'.

It might seem odd to you, but did you ever think the reverse sounds odd to them?? You are from Texas, no? That seems to be the accent I most frequently hear being made fun of here...
I'm sure it does. An accent by definition is different. Doesn't mean I can't seek out the underlying reason as to why they pronounce a word completely different.

As I stated earlier, when I get over there I'll shift to their pronunciation, but it doesn't change the fact that it's odd to put an 'o' sound where none is indicated.

The way I have always heard it in the States is more or "Trake-e-a" so the beginning sounds like "rake" and the end is softer. The Scots and Brits emphasize the middle so it is more of "truh-KEEEY-yah". Haha this is hard to type out...like I said, sitting in class, you will hear all of these differences very clearly :laugh:

Actually this helped a lot! :D Thanks for the clarification.

No I don't think I'm being closed minded. Closed minded would be totally ignoring the differences and not seeking to see their side of things, where as I'm asking why they do it a certain way.

And just because their country has been around longer doesn't mean they're the authority on English. Their form of English has evolved just like ours has, just down two different evolutionary paths. I am quite certain that they don't speak the same form as they did in the 1500s.

No, but Spanish is called Spanish for a reason: it's not English. Different rules apply to them. You would think that with the same language, the rules would be the same as to pronunciation.

Thank you, this is what I'm looking for. An actual explanation as to WHY it's different instead of just 'it just is'.

I'm sure it does. An accent by definition is different. Doesn't mean I can't seek out the underlying reason as to why they pronounce a word completely different.

As I stated earlier, when I get over there I'll shift to their pronunciation, but it doesn't change the fact that it's odd to put an 'o' sound where none is indicated.

Don't get me wrong, I have giggled and jested the way they say things over here, but I jest in fun towards the differences. It's good you are trying to find why there are differences, but no language in the same everywhere. Mexican Spanish vs. S. American Spanish, Canadian French vs. French in France...they all evolve and carry the same basic principles, but a lot of things are pronounced differently, just the same as Australian vs England vs Scotland vs the US. It is odd...but you get used to it...and maybe even start using it yourself without thinking about it...:cool:

Like shortnesweet said, it is not proving your point by comparing English and Spanish. Spanish has a ton of different dialects too, just like English. Just because the -burgh isn't spelled out like burrah, the way you would expect it to be, does not mean it is "making up phonetics" as you call it. A Scottish person would pronounce it as they do, and the phonetics of the word would be written out in phonetics. Phonetics are not indicated in a word by the spelling in that language- they are indicated by the actual sounds made by a person speaking that native language and dialect. For all we know, to a person who didn't speak English, watermelon and turtle COULD have the same exact phonetic spelling- one wouldn't know until an English speaker SAID the words. You are mixing up what phonetics and spelling are.

And if you want to know why a word is pronounced differently between America and the UK, you should be asking how americans evolved to pronounce the word differently. I often wonder that myself actually- how a bunch of Brits came to develop American accents when the country was founded.

Also remember that Edinburgh or Glasgow are bad examples to be using for this discussion about Phonetics. They are place names which very often have weird pronunciations in America. For example, "Arkansas" does not have a W or -AH at the end, but that's what it sounds like. I doubt there are a bunch of Brits wondering why the heck we don't say "Arkan-saS."

For those of you who received a response from Dublin, did you apply directly or through the Atlantic Bridge Program? Does one respond earlier than the other or do you think all offers are out by now?

For those of you who received a response from Dublin, did you apply directly or through the Atlantic Bridge Program? Does one respond earlier than the other or do you think all offers are out by now?

I applied through VMCAS and my supplemental application online was turned in October 1st. I mailed my license/passport page on October 3rd. I received my offer (I think) on February 9th and got my packet in the mail on this past Saturday. I have no idea if they've notified everybody yet, but I'm sure if you e-mail John Buckley (I think his name is), he might have information for you. Any questions we have are supposed to be directed toward him. Hope it helps! If you're on the wait list or something, I'm 99% sure that you could get my spot since I'm probably going to U of E!

Like shortnesweet said, it is not proving your point by comparing English and Spanish.

You missed the point of that comparison completely if you thought I was trying to prove my overall point with it.

Just because the -burgh isn't spelled out like burrah, the way you would expect it to be, does not mean it is "making up phonetics" as you call it

Again, the spelling of a word indicates how it should sound. I don't know how to make that any clearer? That's the whole reason words are even spelled: so we know how to pronounce them correctly. So by just adding in random sounds to the word, you are making up phonetics. It's like when Northerners say "wash" as "warsh", where on earth are they getting the 'r' sound? They're just making it up, it's not indicated in the word itself, just what they're used to hearing.

For example, "Arkansas" does not have a W or -AH at the end, but that's what it sounds like.

Arkansas isn't pronounced with either sound though. Arr-can-saws. The 'sas' allows for the 'saws' sound.

Anyhow that's my last post on this subject. It's cluttering up the thread and is a trivial argument at best.

If you're on the wait list or something, I'm 99% sure that you could get my spot since I'm probably going to U of E!

So happy to hear you're pretty sure on Edinburgh! :)

So happy to hear you're pretty sure on Edinburgh! :)

Yeah. Dublin sounds nice but is SO expensive! And the GEP is pretty new over there and makes it sound a bit sketchy. I haven't heard from UPenn or Davis yet, which means a rejection letter is coming at some point. Got rejections after interviews, couldn't attend interviews due to conflicts, or got a rejection letter from the other US schools; and I've personally rejected Western U. So Massey, Dublin, and U of E are my options. And I'd LOVE to go to Scotland. I think I'm waiting for the official rejection before I send away the money for the deposit (that and I need the money for it). I also need to find a flat so I can bring my kitty!

Arkansas isn't pronounced with either sound though. Arr-can-saws. The 'sas' allows for the 'saws' sound.

I know you don't want to post on this anymore, and maybe i'm misunderstanding you're argument, but you do realize that Arkansas is in fact pronounced "Ar-kan-saw," right? Nobody adds an 'S' sound at the end...

Is anyone who applied via the Atlantic Bridge Program still waiting for a reply? I know UCD is still sending out acceptance letters but seems like the first wave is done.

Edit: Nevermind, just going to keep my word and leave it be.

You missed the point of that comparison completely if you thought I was trying to prove my overall point with it.

Again, the spelling of a word indicates how it should sound. I don't know how to make that any clearer? That's the whole reason words are even spelled: so we know how to pronounce them correctly. So by just adding in random sounds to the word, you are making up phonetics. It's like when Northerners say "wash" as "warsh", where on earth are they getting the 'r' sound? They're just making it up, it's not indicated in the word itself, just what they're used to hearing.

Anyhow that's my last post on this subject. It's cluttering up the thread and is a trivial argument at best.

You're right, it is pretty trivial. But it's also driving me crazy so I'll post one last time. I don't know how you pronounce 'Arkansas,' but I've never heard it pronounced any other way than 'Arkan-saw.'

The part in bold: No, the spelling of a word does not always indicate how it should sound. I don't know how to make that any clearer. The phonetics of a word indicate how it should sound. Phonetics and spelling are not the same thing. One is specific to a language and even dialect, the other is universal. Spelling of words in American English is not universal. No word spelled out in any dialect of English, or any other country's language, unequivocally indicates how it should sound. A word of any language must be written out in the universal phonetic alphabet (written after the word is spoken by a native, local speaker of the dialect/language) for it to indicate how it should sound. The only thing the spelling of a word indicates is how it's spelled and how one might expect it to sound.

In other words, "Edinburgh" does not "indicate phonetics" until it is written as 'ɛdɪnb(<)rə' in phonetics. If phonetics were just based on the spelling of a word, we would have a hard time figuring out how to speak in Chinese or any other language that doesn't use our alphabet. It's also why wikipedia and dictionaries place the phonetic spelling of a word (especially proper nouns) after the actual spelling of the word.

Your statement would be correct if you wrote: "That's the whole reason words are even spelled [in phonetics]: so we know how to pronounce them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet#Usage

Last edited:
So now that we all know how to pronounce Edinburgh, I have a question for anyone who got to go to the receptions/current students since there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the website. I was wondering how wildlife/conservation medicine is incorporated into the program (or programme:)). Can you get a lot of experience at the wildlife center? And can you get involved at the zoo? Also I read that there's a Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, but there's not a lot of info about it. Can first years get involved? Also can first years get involved with international/conservation research? Let me know if there's any links about this info!

One more question! This is for the current students. My only worry about Edinburgh is that the class size seems to be a lot bigger then most other schools. Do you think this is a problem? Do you feel like you are still able to be close with you professors and get help from them when you need it? (okay that was two questions, sorry!)

Thanks!

Anyone know if they'll allow us to defer the deposit? I know it's deducted from our tuition but it'd be a lot easier for me to just put in 22,200 per year and have it payed through FAFSA than find $2,000ish just lying around.

Outside of using it as a solid 'yes', I don't see much reason in charging it to us now vs later when it's going to be taken from tuition anyways (in other words, they gain no extra money).

Just got rejected from Dublin...boo. I happened to check the supplemental status page and it said "No Offer." Oh well, Edin was always my #1 and can't wait to head over there in August!

Just got rejected from Dublin...boo. I happened to check the supplemental status page and it said "No Offer." Oh well, Edin was always my #1 and can't wait to head over there in August!

Sorry to hear that about Dublin. I'm glad to hear you'll be going to Edinburgh for sure, though. :)

Edinburgh is cheaper too since they are pounds and not euros! :)

I really want to say I'm going to Edinburgh, but I'm waiting for my official Davis rejection.

Wooo!!! Go Edinburgh! :D I'm getting so excited, already have my mom freaking out and booking B&B for the week we are going to be in Edinburgh, and then for the week we will be traveling right before term starts.
Got tickets for the Tattoo (hopefully dogtyred will be coming along to ooooo and ahhhh with me).

As a side note:
For students entering the D102 4-year Graduate Entry Programme (GEP) which has a start date of early August, special arrangements with Accommodation Services have been made to provide accommodation during the additional first 5 weeks prior to the main University semester in September. Further details about this will be sent to you directly nearer the time.

This was posted on their website (recently I believe) so anyone who is waiting for GEP Pollock Halls accommodation, we will just have to wait for snail-mail? e-mail? uhhhmmmm something?