Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

Started by lalzi22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wooo!!! Go Edinburgh! 😀
Got tickets for the Tattoo (hopefully dogtyred will be coming along to ooooo and ahhhh with me).

Just say the word and I'll be there! Thanks for the offer! 🙂

For everyone planning on going to Edinburgh, there is a facebook group set up for international students.

Here is the info:

University of Edinburgh Student Help for International Applicants

Description:In the process of applying? Have questions?

Read through common questions, concise guides and contact current students for answers and advice.

Feel free to post questions on the wall or to contact any of the Current Students with specific questions. Search through the Discussions board to find answers to already asked questions.

And here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?v=wall&gid=303579594378
 
Just say the word and I'll be there! Thanks for the offer! 🙂

For everyone planning on going to Edinburgh, there is a facebook group set up for international students.

Here is the info:

University of Edinburgh Student Help for International Applicants

Description:In the process of applying? Have questions?

Read through common questions, concise guides and contact current students for answers and advice.

Feel free to post questions on the wall or to contact any of the Current Students with specific questions. Search through the Discussions board to find answers to already asked questions.

And here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?v=wall&gid=303579594378
Thanks! 🙂
 
Did anyone apply during this most recent bout of late applications? Geraldine hasn't emailed me back in a while and I'm wondering if anyone's playing the waiting game!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mother is flying with me and staying about a month before classes start to help me settle in with my dog. The first week we are in the UK, we are driving lazily from London to Edinburgh. It takes 7 hours to get there but we are doing it in a week. My mom is in this mode of finding all the tourist stops along the way that was mentioned in her many Scottish romance books. *smacks forehead* For example, the druid circle stones, towns and cities in the Highlands, Stirling, Stonehedge, etc. I think she is also hoping to stumble upon a random drop dead gorgeous Scottish man wearing a kilt. Oh Mid-Life Crisis! ^_^
 
You're welcome Chii Chan. Sorry to hear about Davis.

It was expected after interview invites went out. Though, being informed this year through SDN made the rejection easier since it wasn't out of the blue. This confirms that I'm supposed to go international for vet school!!! Fate/God (whatever you believe in) has decided for me by not granting me an interview at Davis.

Weird, they had about 100 fewer applicants this year than last year and I know my application was stronger than last year. In my meeting with Dr. LeFebvre, he said I was on the cusp of being in the pile that gets interviews. I wonder what happened?!

Apparently Glasgow is still sending out acceptances even though most people got their acceptance shortly after the interview. I would have bet you that I had a rejection since I hadn't heard back, but now I'll wait and see. I was going to post my decision on that one thread, but saw Glasgow c/o 2015 was new. Maybe another sign, who knows. So I'm going to wait. Not sure which I'd rather go to since they have their own (though rather minute) pro/cons.

All I really know is, I'm going to Scotland for vet school! I can't wait!!! 🙂
 
All I really know is, I'm going to Scotland for vet school! I can't wait!!! 🙂

No matter what, you will be happier with whatever decision you make. I know that had I been accepted to Colorado, and chosen Colorado over Edinburgh, that I would regret not going to school in Scotland for probably the rest of my life.
What an incredible life changing experience! I declined my VMRCVM interview for specifically the reason that I know I would not even go if I was accepted because Scotland is the right place for me.
AND, I like to think of it as having less options = less stress and ultimately much much much happier with your decision because there would not be any "What if I had gone to XYZ school", you would just know it was meant to be. (like you said)

Glad to hear you will be joining us over the pond, and if you go to Glasgow, I'll see you on Dick Day😉 and we can taunt each-other
 
No matter what, you will be happier with whatever decision you make. I know that had I been accepted to Colorado, and chosen Colorado over Edinburgh, that I would regret not going to school in Scotland for probably the rest of my life.
What an incredible life changing experience! I declined my VMRCVM interview for specifically the reason that I know I would not even go if I was accepted because Scotland is the right place for me.
AND, I like to think of it as having less options = less stress and ultimately much much much happier with your decision because there would not be any "What if I had gone to XYZ school", you would just know it was meant to be. (like you said)

Glad to hear you will be joining us over the pond, and if you go to Glasgow, I'll see you on Dick Day😉 and we can taunt each-other

Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, and Chii Chan, if you pick Glasgow there will definitely be some taunting.
 
Lol. Yeah. I know. It'll probably be worse since you actually know who I am! I'm still leaning toward Edinburgh, but I need to be fair if Glasgow sends me an offer! I have a feeling they won't. Plus I've already started setting up my vet school blog (based on my decision to go to Edinburgh). Who knows, I might not have to change it!

Not sure how I found this site and I'm fairly certain you've already found it, but there is a huge student site that allows you to find accomodation. I'll link it later when I'm at my computer again (and not iPhone). I'm tempted to set something up that way. One of them said must be okay with cats since there are two. My ******ed cat starts no fights so that could work out! But I really don't want to do uni accomodation at first since I want my cat! My planning (or forgetfulness) made it so that I can leave with him to the UK on Aug 6. (I'm in GEP.)

I'm also realizing how little time I really have left since I need to start EMS soon! I should be able to get 3 or 4 weeks exempt. I go to Japan for half a month in June and then will probably do poultry EMS at Demler Farms (laying hens) or Foster Farms or Zackys (turkeys) if at all possible. Then try equine barns for 1 or 2 weeks depending on how much exemption I received. Man. Gonna be a crazy summer!!!!!
 
No matter what, you will be happier with whatever decision you make. I know that had I been accepted to Colorado, and chosen Colorado over Edinburgh, that I would regret not going to school in Scotland for probably the rest of my life.
What an incredible life changing experience! I declined my VMRCVM interview for specifically the reason that I know I would not even go if I was accepted because Scotland is the right place for me.
AND, I like to think of it as having less options = less stress and ultimately much much much happier with your decision because there would not be any "What if I had gone to XYZ school", you would just know it was meant to be. (like you said)

I really like Robert Frost's poem in regards to this:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference."

That's only the last stanza and there's some disagreement over the last stanza in relation to the previous three, so here's hoping to the normal interpretation!
 
I really like Robert Frost's poem in regards to this:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference."

That's only the last stanza and there's some disagreement over the last stanza in relation to the previous three, so here's hoping to the normal interpretation!

That's a really great way to look at it. I kinda feel sorry for people who have never traveled or experienced something outside of their comfort zone. They may be perfectly happy, but I think they have no idea what they're missing! I turned down my US offer to come here, and I'm still glad I did. I wouldn't have grown the way I have in the last 2 years if I just went the usual route. good luck to you all, I hope you like it here.
 
Sorry if this has already been said but...

I'm thinking about where to apply (again) for this coming fall and I've been looking at the UK schools a lot. I have a BS in bio and an MS in microbio...would I be eligible for the 4 yr program? Is the structure of the 4 yr programs similar to the schools here (US)?

Any other useful info to know about these schools when applying would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
I really like Robert Frost's poem in regards to this:

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference."

That's only the last stanza and there's some disagreement over the last stanza in relation to the previous three, so here's hoping to the normal interpretation!

Congrats on your IS acceptance!! Where do you think you'll go - A&M or Edinburgh?
 
Sorry if this has already been said but...

I'm thinking about where to apply (again) for this coming fall and I've been looking at the UK schools a lot. I have a BS in bio and an MS in microbio...would I be eligible for the 4 yr program? Is the structure of the 4 yr programs similar to the schools here (US)?

Any other useful info to know about these schools when applying would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, you would be eligible for the 4 year since you have degrees, however, your GPA must be 3.4 or above.

The 4 year is accelerated and you start 5 weeks before everyone else. In the 2nd year you are meshed with 3rd year students doing the normal 5 year program. The structure is similar to 4 year since it got its AVMA accreditation, however, their lectures are more hands-on rather than learning theory your 1st 2 years like in most US schools.
 
Congrats on your IS acceptance!! Where do you think you'll go - A&M or Edinburgh?

Haven't the vaguest lol. It's down to money vs once-in-a-lifetime experience. Gonna ask my finance professor on Tuesday for her opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So for those of you that got accepted to edinburgh for the late application...did any of you guys receive your official acceptance and info packet?
 
So for those of you that got accepted to edinburgh for the late application...did any of you guys receive your official acceptance and info packet?

have you gotten an acceptance email already? I haven't got any replies for a while. 🙁
 
I haven't gotten an official acceptance yet (but haven't paid the deposit either) nor received the information packet. I did e-mail yesterday inquiring about it since I had done the UCAS and all that, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Do ya'll talk to Yvonne or Giannopalous?



By the way here's a great website I found for finding flats with roommates. Pretty cheap flats with utilities included on there.
http://www.edinburghstudentpad.co.uk/


have you gotten an acceptance email already? I haven't got any replies for a while. 🙁

I heard back way back in January, but you applied recently yes?
 
I haven't gotten an official acceptance yet (but haven't paid the deposit either) nor received the information packet. I did e-mail yesterday inquiring about it since I had done the UCAS and all that, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Do ya'll talk to Yvonne or Giannopalous?



By the way here's a great website I found for finding flats with roommates. Pretty cheap flats with utilities included on there.
http://www.edinburghstudentpad.co.uk/




I heard back way back in January, but you applied recently yes?


Giannopalous. And yes, recently! I am just anxious because I'd asked her questions about applying and haven't received answers, so I'm wondering if maybe she's been out of town or super busy (probably). I don't want to pester her so I figured I'd bother you all instead. :laugh:
 
Well I've bothered her way more and she hasn't kicked me to the curb....uh, yet, at least.

How long ago did you e-mail her?
 
Feb 17th with a question, then again on Feb 23rd with parts of my application (everything but the letter of recommendation, which is being written). My question was about whether I had enough science courses to be considered, so maybe since I sent my application she figured I didn't need my question answered, haha.
 
I applied in january and heard back early feb with an acceptance offer. I did the UCAS app already as well so I wasn't sure how long it'd take to get the packet. Just wanted to see if any people accepted in Feb got anything else yet?
 
I applied in january and heard back early feb with an acceptance offer. I did the UCAS app already as well so I wasn't sure how long it'd take to get the packet. Just wanted to see if any people accepted in Feb got anything else yet?

I wouldn't worry. It took a long time for the packet to come in the mail. When I asked Yvonne about it she asked me to give it a few more days and, sure enough, I got it the next day.
 
Last edited:
Hey Peeps,
I don't know if you all got this e-mail as well, but I figured I would put it on here to be helpful. It looks like the government is doing away with the FFELP program, and we will have to apply directly to the Federal Direct Loan for our Stafford/Grad Plus loans. (Although I think we can still go through private lenders for Grad Plus, I'm using wells fargo and they have a higher interest rate than the government, 7.9% interest for direct PLUS and 8.5% for Wells Fargo PLUS, so I might not sign my MPN for Wells Fargo and apply for a direct PLUS loan to the feds when the time comes)

Anyways, fill you your FAFSA ASAP!!! And I guess as soon as the legislation is finalized, start applying for your MPN for stafford and PLUS loans http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/index.html this is the website. I'm going to hang around for a month I think and wait to see what happens, I already filled out my FAFSA and cancelled my MPN for stafford through SallieMae since its useless now.
Bummer, but I think in the long run it might be better because there is an interest rate deduction if you do a direct electronic withdrawl through the fed direct loans, and also they have lower interest rates and at the end of all our vet school shenanigans we can consolidate and choose different loan repayment plans. It will suck for right now because we have to wait but everything should be swell in a few months (hopefully :xf:)



For the information of U.S. Students who have received an offer to study Veterinary Medicine at the University of Edinburgh for 2010 entry.

Please read the following email for our Head of Scholarships and Student Finance regarding the changes to applying for loans.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with Jennifer Brown. Her email address is [email protected] and phone number is 0044 131 650 8182.

All the best
Yvonne

*******************************************************************


Dear Applicant,

Congratulations on being offered a place at the University of Edinburgh for the coming academic session.

I am contacting you as a US national to highlight important information. Whilst I am not aware of how you intend to finance your studies, the following information is only applicable to those considering applying for US Financial Aid, which includes the Federal Stafford, Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS Loans in the upcoming 2010-2011 academic year.

You may already be aware that the US Congress is in the final stages of considering changes to the US Loan Programme for US students studying outwith the USA. While a final decision has not been reached, it looks likely that the current Federal Family Education Loan Programme will come to an end in June 2010 and will be replaced by the Direct Loan Programme. This change would remove the need to apply to a bank or servicing agent (eg. Sallie Mae/ASA), with the Federal Government becoming the sole lender.

We are currently, together with other UK University Financial Aid Officers, due to receive training in the new processes and systems which we have been informed is likely to take place in May/June 2010. It is unlikely that students wishing to apply for loans for the 2010-2011 academic session will be able to have any paperwork processed by a UK University until this training has taken place and staff are fully aware of the loan process. However we would strongly advise, if you are intending to apply for US loans for the 2010-2011 academic session, to complete your FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) as early as possible. The early submission of your FAFSA will ensure a quicker processing of loan documentation later in the year.

Based on the information we have received from the US Department of Education, every indication implies that a loan scheme will continue.

Please note that the University is actively working with the US Department of Education and this is all the information we know at present. We will update our dedicated US loan website as soon as we know more: www.scholarships.ed.ac.uk/usloans


Best wi
shes
Robert
 
That kind of makes me sick. What if they can't process our loans in time? If the program/their training won't be complete til June, that only gives us 2 months to get our loans and passport in order. Plus it's past the state deadline for accepting their school so if it all falls through due to shortness of time, you're screwed over for a year.
 
As a late applicant, I just got my admissions packet today, so be on the lookout the rest of you.

It was mailed February 22nd.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not true...you CAN defer at Glasgow. One of my closest friends here deferred her app a year after being accepted for 2013, and joined my class.

Thanks Shortnsweet! I have been having trouble finding any info on deferrment on Glasgow's website so I really appreciate your input!
 
Hey guys,

I was just waitlisted for Glasgow, and I'm kind of nervous. I was looking at prior years' threads and it doesn't look like anyone got off the list. Does anyone know anything about how fast they go through the list, how many people are on it, etc? I didn't get a ranking.

By the way - do you think it would be appropriate to ask Joyce about rankings?

Thanks!!
 
Hey guys,

I was just waitlisted for Glasgow, and I'm kind of nervous. I was looking at prior years' threads and it doesn't look like anyone got off the list. Does anyone know anything about how fast they go through the list, how many people are on it, etc? I didn't get a ranking.

By the way - do you think it would be appropriate to ask Joyce about rankings?

Thanks!!

Don't worry! I'm sure people make it off the list. My friend who applied last year received an offer about a month after she was interviewed.🙂
 
the enthusiasm for u of edinburgh on this thread is great! 😛 I got into the GEP program (still debating between UK and US, though) so I decided to go visit the school and check it out for myself-- might anyone be visiting around the same time (3/30-4/7)? I know it's technically during their break/easter lambing season, but it's the only time I could visit (and get a mileage ticket).

also, as I'm sure most of you know, there are a gazillion festivals in Edinburgh during the summer months and the city is jam-packed so if you know that you're going to dick vet, book your travel plans soon. And if you're traveling with pets (I'm going with 2 dogs, 2 cats and a bf), read the defra regulations carefully-- there are only certain travel routes that you can bring your pets on...

~
 
Does anyone have any idea what we can do for our loans at this point? I have to fill out my financial guarantee form and the only place right now that I filled my application for is through FAFSA and applied for the Sallie Mae Loan. I don't know where else I can apply to (maybe Wells Fargo) but that is it. I have until May 1st to submit the letter and pay the deposit seat. Anyone have suggestions?
 
Does anyone have any idea what we can do for our loans at this point? I have to fill out my financial guarantee form and the only place right now that I filled my application for is through FAFSA and applied for the Sallie Mae Loan. I don't know where else I can apply to (maybe Wells Fargo) but that is it. I have until May 1st to submit the letter and pay the deposit seat. Anyone have suggestions?

As of right now the only thing you can do is fill out your FAFSA to get your SAR. Your Sallie Mae app. is no longer useful. We will probably have to fill out a Direct loan application but can't do that until Edinburgh gets their training about the loan process in May or June. There is a post on the Edinburgh thread (I think) from psjlg2 showing the email we received from the university. We are all just in a waiting game. I hope this helps.
 
I should have know my Sallie Mae app. was going to be useless. I could apply to Wells Fargo, but I don't know if I should or not. It is a tough call, either I hold out like everyone else at the moment (I wonder how many people are in this class) and or try to find some kind of private lender or bank like Wells Fargo. Has anyone else put in an app. to other places?
 
Finally got my rejection from RVC today. Been wondering if they had forgotten about me. I am really curious as to what Edin sees in me when Glasgow, Dublin, and London all rejected me. Hmm. Oh well! Life's a mystery!🙄
 
So i finally got my packet in the mail from edinburgh! Im excited, but im still waiting on UF until I make my final decision.
 
Well since the end of the application cycle is winding down (at least for me, I'm done with it), I was wondering how everyone was doing in terms of preparations for the big move, fulfilling your conditional offers, life in general, etc.

Didn't want this thread to disappear!:poke:
 
I'm starting to slightly panic :scared:. I may be arriving there a whopping two months prior to classes starting due to my travel arrangements and am worried about visa stuff. Since i deferred, i've been saying i'll be going to vet school 'next year' for so long, to say 'this year' freaks me out a bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm freaking out because I have no idea what I'm doing! :laugh: I was waitlisted at my top choice, and I might not hear from them, even if I am lucky enough to get accepted off the alternate list, before I would have to commit to Edinburgh.

*dies of stress*
 
I'm starting to slightly panic :scared:. I may be arriving there a whopping two months prior to classes starting due to my travel arrangements and am worried about visa stuff. Since i deferred, i've been saying i'll be going to vet school 'next year' for so long, to say 'this year' freaks me out a bit.

I know exactly how u feel in the sense that its no longer "Im leaving next year - I've got loads of time before then" ....shicaca.... now its only 5 months. *starts to panic*:scared: I'll be in Scotland a month before classes. At least you will have that extra 2 months to find a place to live before the chaos of the August festivals!
 
I really want to find a place before i get there...i am lugging a crapful of stuff around, including a bike (hey, shipping is all you want and free on the Queen Mary!) and will have two pooches in tow. I have asked (bribed) a very close friend to come over with me for a week to play the Nanny role :laugh:

omg, omg, omg...it's getting CLOSER fast and soooo much to do.

Whyever, i do not envy you. Even though i hope you get into Tufts, i would really like to have you as a vet school mate at Edinburgh!
 
I really want to find a place before i get there...i am lugging a crapful of stuff around, including a bike (hey, shipping is all you want and free on the Queen Mary!) and will have two pooches in tow. I have asked (bribed) a very close friend to come over with me for a week to play the Nanny role :laugh:

omg, omg, omg...it's getting CLOSER fast and soooo much to do.

Whyever, i do not envy you. Even though i hope you get into Tufts, i would really like to have you as a vet school mate at Edinburgh!

You're going to the UK on the Queen Mary??? Oh how I WISH to travel across the atlantic on a ship! One of things on my bucket list is to do the world cruise on the QE2. What is the policy on the Queen Mary about bringing dogs?
 
Whyever, i do not envy you. Even though i hope you get into Tufts, i would really like to have you as a vet school mate at Edinburgh!

Thanks flyhi - you know I'm going NUTS. I wish I had an answer so I could start making some preparations, ya know? Not like I have 4 cats and a horse or anything.