Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

Started by lalzi22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For those who are also waiting to hear from Dublin, they are currently reviewing files and hope to get offers out in early February!
 
For those who are also waiting to hear from Dublin, they are currently reviewing files and hope to get offers out in early February!

Thank god, John Buckley isn't replying to my emails at all anymore. I had to mail in my personal statement and upload it on the supplemental application cuz at the time I filled it out and paid for it, John told me not to do the personal statement. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
speaking of Dublin, has anyone talked to any students over there since they got accredited? Just curious how they like the program. It's PBL, right? You just don't hear too much about Dublin yet.
 
speaking of Dublin, has anyone talked to any students over there since they got accredited? Just curious how they like the program. It's PBL, right? You just don't hear too much about Dublin yet.

Ooh...I don't think I would like PBL. Has anyone had experience with it?
 
This may be a dumb question but whats PBL?

Problem based learning. Students work collaboratively together to solve a series of open-ended questions and problems and teachers are facililitators of learning. I think I would prefer the instructor to actually teach me. That's just me, though.
 
This may be a dumb question but whats PBL?

PBL is problem based learning. Quote from WesternU's (I know it isn't a international school but it uses PBL) website:
Problem Based Learning (PBL) divides students into small groups supervised by a faculty facilitator. Information is discovered and assimilated by the students in the context of a real problem or case, thus improving retention and allowing for individual learning styles. Cooperation versus competition is the norm. Faculty-scheduled or student-requested seminars and laboratories augment the PBL sessions where appropriate.
 
wow, very surprisingly I got a conditional offer for the GEP program!

One of the conditions is that I need to get a B in Microbiology this semester. I guess I listed that as one of my courses for this semester, but due to some changes in scheduling, I'm no longer taking that course? Does that mean there's no way I can fulfill the condition?

I also need a week of both large animal and farm animal experience. Yikes...that's kind of difficult since I live in a very urban area 😱
 
wow, very surprisingly I got a conditional offer for the GEP program!

One of the conditions is that I need to get a B in Microbiology this semester. I guess I listed that as one of my courses for this semester, but due to some changes in scheduling, I'm no longer taking that course? Does that mean there's no way I can fulfill the condition?

I also need a week of both large animal and farm animal experience. Yikes...that's kind of difficult since I live in a very urban area 😱
Congrats! I got into the GEP too! 🙂

Those are strange conditions... is Micro a prereq for Edinburgh? Was large animal/farm animal experience required for GEP too? I'm not sure how they chose me to be in GEP.
 
Congrats! Micro is not a formal pre req for Edinburgh. However, they were under the impression that I was taking Micro this semester, because I originally thought that I would be (Listed it in vmcas). They were just telling me that I needed to get a B in that class. However, other classes that I NEEDED to take for graduation conflicted, so i ended up not taking it. So now i'm not really sure how it'll work..

The other conditions are just that they want me to get a little more experience in those areas, since I don't have any. I'm not sure how they decide on GEP, but I do know that you need to end up with a 3.40 to go into GEP.
 
Congrats you guys! I unfortunately got rejected 🙁. I would have LOVED to go to Edinburgh...I still have Dublin to hear from though!
 
Congrats guys! Did you apply after the deadline? I'm still waiting to hear from them. 🙁
 
Hey guys I was wondering if any late applicants heard anything yet? Im still hoping that they haven't finish sending out invites. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats DickVet!!! You obviously need to check with the school on the Micro deal.

The conditions are spelled out explicitly. My conditions did not include the additional experience, however, it was strongly recommended by the Committee. Again, check with them though, just to make sure.

So, you have a difficult decision to make, or have you already?
 
Congrats guys! Did you apply after the deadline? I'm still waiting to hear from them. 🙁
Thanks! 🙂 I applied with the normal VMCAS application as well.


DickVet were we supposed to send them fall transcripts? They sent me an unconditional acceptance letter super early so I assumed not. I took Micro fall semester, but Yvonne didn't say anything about grades. Strange though, I didn't have a 3.4. 3.36 was close enough for them maybe? My science GPA and last 45 were higher than 3.4 though, maybe that makes a difference?
 
For anyone who applied to dublin Mr. Buckley sent out an email with the info, its pretty brief and non-descript. I nearly died when I saw his name in my inbox. But good luck to everyone 😳
 
For anyone who applied to dublin Mr. Buckley sent out an email with the info, its pretty brief and non-descript. I nearly died when I saw his name in my inbox. But good luck to everyone 😳


Did you already send a copy of your passport/birth certificate? I emailed Buckley about the school leaving exams too stating we have no such thing in the States but I saw on an earlier post that he doesn't want our GRE scores either but he never emailed me back. I guess I better get on that pronto but I thought he said it had to be there the 29th?
 
Did you already send a copy of your passport/birth certificate? I emailed Buckley about the school leaving exams too stating we have no such thing in the States but I saw on an earlier post that he doesn't want our GRE scores either but he never emailed me back. I guess I better get on that pronto but I thought he said it had to be there the 29th?


He has told me in the past that we did not need to send GRE scores at all and not to worry about the school leaving exams. We just needed a copy of our driver's license and birth certificate or passport, our personal statement, and a copy of our official university transcripts (fall transcripts as well). Hopefully that's all we need!

Good Luck Everyone!
 
Thanks Katydid! I already send my personal statement and transcripts, I saw that they had all been uploaded into their system when I checked to make sure everything was submitted. I guess I need to express mail my passport copy!
 
Thanks Katydid! I already send my personal statement and transcripts, I saw that they had all been uploaded into their system when I checked to make sure everything was submitted. I guess I need to express mail my passport copy!

Actually, one of the other people on the admissions team told me I could simply upload my passport copy, so I just scanned it and then uploaded the file! This should save you a ton of money in shipping, so I would definitely recommend it!
 
So, you have a difficult decision to make, or have you already?

Definitely have not made any decisions. The price of Penn terrifies me compared with that of Edinburgh (assuming i'd work for a little in the UK, thus having an income in pounds instead of dollars, the debt load is much smaller). However, i'm still waiting on post Missouri-interview news, and have an interview with Va tech (in state) next week- both of which are pretty cheap options). Long story short- AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

note: I realize i'm incredibly fortunate to be in this situation, and should not complain AT ALL.

Chii Chan,
I think we were supposed to send in the fall transcript. I have not done so yet, but plan to.
 
Definitely have not made any decisions. The price of Penn terrifies me compared with that of Edinburgh (assuming i'd work for a little in the UK, thus having an income in pounds instead of dollars, the debt load is much smaller). However, i'm still waiting on post Missouri-interview news, and have an interview with Va tech (in state) next week- both of which are pretty cheap options). Long story short- AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

note: I realize i'm incredibly fortunate to be in this situation, and should not complain AT ALL.

Chii Chan,
I think we were supposed to send in the fall transcript. I have not done so yet, but plan to.

Not to go off topic in this thread, but how expensive is Penn compared to Edinburgh??
 
Penn is around 40,000 USD (maybe slightly more), while Edinburgh is about 22k pounds, or about 35k USD. However, i'm assuming that I would work for at least a little while in the UK after school, so my initial earnings would also be in pounds. That would make the exchange rate at least somewhat less significant..
 
Actually, one of the other people on the admissions team told me I could simply upload my passport copy, so I just scanned it and then uploaded the file! This should save you a ton of money in shipping, so I would definitely recommend it!

Hey katydid, where did you upload a copy of your passport? I looked and can't find the right spot...😕 Thanks!
 
Hey katydid, where did you upload a copy of your passport? I looked and can't find the right spot...😕 Thanks!

When you log into the online supplemental application page, there should be a link in the middle where it says you applied for the MVB for the 2010/2010 September term that says "Upload Docs". Click the link, and it will let you upload them. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received the packet from Edinburgh yet?


I did! Its a big fun packet that makes choosing between Ohio and Edinburgh (and possibly Tufts, Kansas and UPenn) VERY DIFFICULT. I hope this thing on the 4th helps push me one way or another.
 
I did! Its a big fun packet that makes choosing between Ohio and Edinburgh (and possibly Tufts, Kansas and UPenn) VERY DIFFICULT. I hope this thing on the 4th helps push me one way or another.
Oh gosh I know. I wish I had answers from Penn and Tufts! That would make my life more complicated, but at least I'd be able to make some decisions.
 
Can you guys that got your packets from Edinburgh give me an idea of what is in it? Thanks a bunch.
 
Can you guys that got your packets from Edinburgh give me an idea of what is in it? Thanks a bunch.

Well, to start with, its BEAUTIFUL. So professional looking. You open it up and there is a topsheet called "What Happens Next: 4-Year GEP". This sheet basically tells you what is in the folder: Invitation to post-application reception day, Apply for Uni. Accommodation, a teaching note on animals, financial guarantee (due 1st May), a fee deposit form (due 1st May) along with a few other things.

The second sheet of paper is the invite to the reception in SF or NY.

The third sheet of paper goes through the 4 years in a bit of detail- what you will learn, electives, EMS, student support

The fourth sheet talks about the hospital, notable graduates, the future of the school, reputations and awards and mentoring.

Then there is a FAT packet about EMS. FAQ's, a whole lot of info, liek 12 pages long.

The next sheet goes over guidlines for the use of animals and tissues at teh school.

The next 2 sheets talks about if you are a disability student.

The nest 2 sheets talk about paying with credit card and teh financial guarantee.

Then a big fat bookelt about financial support- scholarships, loans etc..

Finally, a teeny booklet about accommodation.

Btw- I have NO life. :laugh:
 
Thank you, Lalzi22. I can't wait until I get mine. I'm jealous. Of course I would put off my homework to go through it so I guess it's for the best right now.
 
LATE APPLICANTS:
Did all of you guys get an email from Geraldine stating that they are working on our applications and we should hear next week? Was anything else sent out? Like acceptances or rejections?
 
DickVet, I had a similar case with switching courses, and Yvonne spoke to the Admissions committee, and they just changed the conditions for my acceptance. Don't worry too much.

I'm having such a hard time choosing between London 4 yr, Edinburgh 4 yr, and Glasgow 5 yr. Anyone have any input? I visited all three and LOVED the later two, but was not as impressed with London's class size (~220, though in the 4-year program does have less students) or the Camden campus, though I liked their curriculum and people. Has anyone else visited or found anything they particularly liked/disliked?
 
Has anyone not heard about their application status from RVC? I just got the email about the scholarships but I never got the interview for Feb. Just wondering if anyone is still on the "waiting list" or if its just me? 😕
 
I'm an American in the new accredited Grad Program at UCD if anyone has questions...

Thanks! I only have about a billion questions lol, but I'll try to keep them to only a few🙂 First and foremost, do you remember how they contacted you when you were accepted (like did they call you, email you, or mail an acceptance letter to you?) Also, did they keep to their timeline of admissions, as in did they make decisions when they said they would? You might not know this much, but do you have any idea how many Americans applied for your class compared to how many were actually accepted? On a more recent note, how amazing is life there in Dublin?? I visited a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it! How are you getting along with the program and everything? I'm sorry if I'm being such a pain, I just have so many questions and seem to be unable to find any of this information anywhere🙁 Thanks for your offer to help!!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I only have about a billion questions lol, but I'll try to keep them to only a few🙂 First and foremost, do you remember how they contacted you when you were accepted (like did they call you, email you, or mail an acceptance letter to you?) Also, did they keep to their timeline of admissions, as in did they make decisions when they said they would? You might not know this much, but do you have any idea how many Americans applied for your class compared to how many were actually accepted? On a more recent note, how amazing is life there in Dublin?? I visited a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it! How are you getting along with the program and everything? I'm sorry if I'm being such a pain, I just have so many questions and seem to be unable to find any of this information anywhere🙁 Thanks for your offer to help!!🙂

lol okay I will do my best... I can tell you that the program is targeted at North American Students (I think there are 7 or 8 European students out of 40 total in our class). Perhaps it is because we were the first group for the Grad Entry (4 yr) program, but they were sort of last minute scrounging people's paperwork throughout the summer. I received a packet by mail in the beginning of March. But all of us had completely different acceptance experiences (some applied through Atlantic Bridge, others talked directly to John Buckley). Also, knowing that they were filling spots right up until the last few months I'm going to say not many. Again, we were the first applicant group for the new 4 yr Grad entry program. There are a handful of American students in the old 5 yr program (2nd years essentially). They are currently working to create a better program website and information center on the grad entry program.

As for the program itself, its a little rocky to be honest. Its so brand new that the profs are just as new to this as we are 🙂 but we're working out a rhythm so its getting better. Also, cause of the way the govt works the profs are basically federal employees and get paid the same no matter how many courses they teach - this program just added a lot of work. Cost of living here is high but the Irish people in general are wonderful and the city is a lot of fun. The opportunity to help shape and drive this program has really brought our class together and we have a wonderful relationship. The handful of irish/uk students in our class are LOVELY and we all get along great. The grading system is different abroad that most Americans are used to but you adjust. If anyone is planning a visit, and would like to talk to any of the group of us, we'd be happy to meet up with you/bring you along to a lecture/tutorial or two. I've studied/lived/worked abroad all over the world (often more away than in the states) and Dublin is one of my top three places that I've lived. Although it is a new program, it deserves its due next to established UK schools. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - I wish someone had been willing to talk to me or there was a place for the info when I was deciding. I promise Michael and Diane are working furiously to put together the info for the website and flyers etc.
 
Hey all,

Yvonne finally got back to me concerning the work experience that was in everyone's conditional offer. She stated, "As for the work experience, this is not part of your conditions, it is merely a recommendation. The selector that looked over your application felt that you could benefit from some large animal veterinary experience. But this is only recommended and not required."

So there you go. People who live in really urban areas can relax a bit (like myself). 😀
 
Thanks for letting us know SoBeVet. I was wondering how I was going to pull that one off.
 
Seriously, downtown Cleveland and farm experience? ehh😕
DickVet, I live in Cleveland Heights and I know a good combined animal practice out a little east of us that does horses and farm animals. I got my first SA experience there before I got hired in a clinic here. I could give you the info if you want to get in touch with them! 🙂