Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

Started by lalzi22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what do they use to decide between whether you're 4 or 5 year eligible? Also is the curriculum for the two programs on their site? I've crawled all over that thing but it's pretty hard to find info on it. Or at least I suck at doing so.

And what does 'GEP' and 'EMS' stand for? I know what they are (or think I do: GEP being 4th year program, EMS being the 12 weeks of extraneous work we need to do) just don't know what the acronyms are.

I'm currently at the airport on my iPhone on my way to a western u interview so I can't look up the curriculum but I believe I remember seeing it somewhere on the site since it looked familiar when he showed it at the reception.

GEP stands for graduate entry program and yes it is the 4 year offer. I don't know the exact prerequisites for how they choose which program they put you on but I believe a 3.4 GPA is required for the GEP program. However, I was right below it at a 3.36 when I had applied in October. So I'm not sure just how true that is. I think you may need a bio or animal science degree and a variety of experience for GEP, or at least I had those things. EMS stands for extra mural studies and yes, it is the 12 weeks you have to do on your school breaks.
 
Alright great. I'll go looking for the curriculum again but in case I don't find it, do you recall any great differences between the two sets? Like will the GEP people be slammed with 30 hour semesters trying to cram 2 years into 1?
 
Alright great. I'll go looking for the curriculum again but in case I don't find it, do you recall any great differences between the two sets? Like will the GEP people be slammed with 30 hour semesters trying to cram 2 years into 1?

There weren't any differences except for the one year. I don't recall hearing about more class or more lectures but I think that's what the extra 5 weeks are for. If you still haven't found it by tomorow night when I get back home and have computer access I'll look it up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard that the beginning of the curriculum is pretty intense, but I don't know beyond that.

I was wondering whether any of you had spoken with someone with someone experienced on this issue. Even though I have at least one, and possibly a few state-side acceptances, I'm definitely still considering Edinburgh. Obviously Edinburgh is accredited, but do any of you know anything about getting internships/residencies back in the states...I know there are no technical hoops to jump though (read: extra licensing exams), but do you think there is any stigma associated with a foreign graduate?

I really love Edinburgh and could see myself there, I just don't want to hurt any of my opportunities in the long run...
 
Well two of the residents who interviewed me (one at A&M, one at OSU) were both BVMS's, so I don't think there's a stigma, just the normal distribution based on location. I assume there's not too many DVMs in the UK either.


There weren't any differences except for the one year. I don't recall hearing about more class or more lectures but I think that's what the extra 5 weeks are for. If you still haven't found it by tomorow night when I get back home and have computer access I'll look it up.
Naw I found it. For anyone else who might be interested:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departm...edicine/graduate-entry/graduate-entry-details
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departm...elor-vet-medicine/five-year/five-year-details


Shame they don't give credit hours to get a better idea of how much more of a course load it is.
 
Can anyone who went to the NY reception give a brief summary as to how it went? Blame my curiosity! 😀
 
Good luck at your interview Chii Chan!

Thanks!!! 🙂 I'm wondering if I should even sleep at this point since I might get like 2 or 3 hours but I'm sure it's better than nothing.

I can't imagine western wowing me more than Edinburgh (even though I haven't visited Edinburgh). I like the idea of riding my bike more and barely using my car. I think I'd heavily rely on it here since it's not the safest place to be...

I also wish someone would make my decision on where for me. I didn't expect that I'd have choices. Haha everyone on this thread I'm sure is biased. =P
 
Ok one last question for a bit.


This may be a ridiculous question, but how are international students received over there? Especially Americans? Are we held aloof because of the 'stupid American' stereotype or does everyone mix well?

Oh yes and am I understanding correctly that the 5 year native students come straight out of high school (it says college but IIRC their 'college' is our high school) and go into the program? So will we be hanging out with a bunch of 18 year olds? Not that that's really a problem, just wondering.


Just trying to use social life comparison as a potential deciding factor since tuition is on par with state side schools and one can't really judge each university's education without having gone to another.
 
Last edited:
Can anyone who went to the NY reception give a brief summary as to how it went? Blame my curiosity! 😀
SoBeVet, I was there yesterday! It was pretty awesome. There were quite a few people there, I was surprised how many. Professor Brendan Corcoran, who is SA, gave a presentation on Scotland, Edinburgh, and a little bit of the school's history. Dr. Neil Hudson (equine internal medicine) talked about the curriculum, the differences between the 5-year and GEP programs, some of the teaching methods, and what each year involves, which was SUPER helpful. And Geraldine Giannopoulos gave a presentation on moving to Edinburgh - Visa info, opening a bank account, finding accomodation, etc.
I have to say that Prof. Corcoran was HILARIOUS, and told lots of anecdotes, and he and Dr. Hudson were very funny about the competition between large animal/equine and small animal.
There were lots of photos of the facility (holy crap it's awesome) and the city, and it was great to get to meet some of the other students - I got to meet up with flyhi while we were there, which was awesome! If you have any specific questions let me know. 😀
 
Ok one last question for a bit.


This may be a ridiculous question, but how are international students received over there? Especially Americans? Are we held aloof because of the 'stupid American' stereotype or does everyone mix well?

Oh yes and am I understanding correctly that the 5 year native students come straight out of high school (it says college but IIRC their 'college' is our high school) and go into the program? So will we be hanging out with a bunch of 18 year olds? Not that that's really a problem, just wondering.


Just trying to use social life comparison as a potential deciding factor since tuition is on par with state side schools and one can't really judge each university's education without having gone to another.

I get the sense that everyone is actually really friendly to American students - I mean, we're all in it together, right? I've been to Scotland a number of times since I was a teen and was never dismissed as a stupid American.
The 5-year students come partly from high school and some are graduates who already have a bachelors, like most of us, so it's a pretty good mix.
 
Ok one last question for a bit.
This may be a ridiculous question, but how are international students received over there? Especially Americans? Are we held aloof because of the 'stupid American' stereotype or does everyone mix well?

When I was there, I didn't have any real issues as an American. I would be prepared to receive the occasional jab, and don't take it personally when they use words like "yank," or whatever. Its just a part of their language over there. To be honest, I thought the Scots and English gave each other a much harder time, as opposed to the British going full throttle on the Americans.

Edit: I should say that overall the Scots really liked that I was American, and were super nice to me.
 
Thanx Whyevernott!! You made me all excited again to head over there!

I didn't feel any prejudice of being an American while I was in Scotland. There were a couple of times where the scottish accent was so thick, I had to embarrassingly ask the guy to talk slower. He laughed it off and said it was ironic that we speak the same language and couldn't understand each other. I know that in a month of staying in Edin, I'l be able to understand everything and even pronounce some words with their accent. He then gave me a small bottle of whiskey at 8 AM, clinked mini bottles, then drove us to the Highlands. Oh memories... lol.

I'm glad I'll be mixing with the local folk in the 5 year program. Yea, they just got out of high school but their 18 is our 21 year olds. They can still hang out at pubs and do practically everything with us older students. Plus! I'm sure the UK students have cars. Carpool!! Road Trips!! :laugh: I fully intend on exploring the countryside and checking out every medieval/Viking thing out there. I'm a sucker for castles and cultural festivals, like dressing up as Vikings and setting one of the viking ships on fire (its called Up Helly Aa) or paint yourself all in red (Beltane festival).

up_helly_aa.jpg


celtic-festival-scotland-1033344-ga.jpg
 
I went to the Beltane festival last year, MAN that was some crazy stuff. Lots of naked red people running around while playing with fire. Does it really get any better than that?
 
Thanks!!! 🙂 I'm wondering if I should even sleep at this point since I might get like 2 or 3 hours but I'm sure it's better than nothing.

I can't imagine western wowing me more than Edinburgh (even though I haven't visited Edinburgh). I like the idea of riding my bike more and barely using my car. I think I'd heavily rely on it here since it's not the safest place to be...

I also wish someone would make my decision on where for me. I didn't expect that I'd have choices. Haha everyone on this thread I'm sure is biased. =P

I know what you mean about difficult choices. It is a good position to be in, though and Edinburgh looks absolutely wonderful to me. I think I have pretty much made up my mind. How could I turn it down?

Well, let us know how the interview went. I hope you're not too tired.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I finally got my conditional acceptance packet in the mail, and one of the conditions is completing "two weeks of community practice veterinary work." Anyone know what that means? It wasn't one of the conditions in my original acceptance email, so i was kind of surprised by it...
 
Alright that was really my only concern was how much of a social life you'd be able to have given stereotypes/prejudices and what not. Though how much it'll matter given the typical 'social life' of a vet student, I dunno.


If you have any specific questions let me know.

You said they talked about visas and bank accounts and what not. How difficult did it sound to get one? The bank account in specific as I've heard that's pretty damn hard. Can we bank from a state-side bank or is that illegal for tax reasons?
 
You said they talked about visas and bank accounts and what not. How difficult did it sound to get one? The bank account in specific as I've heard that's pretty damn hard. Can we bank from a state-side bank or is that illegal for tax reasons?

I think the problem is that you have to have a bank account to get an apartment, and a residence to get a bank account. Geraldine said that most students are ok, you just need ALL your paperwork - Visa, passport, proof of student status, and a University letter with confirmation of your UK address - and it can take some time, so bring traveler's checks and change money over so you have cash until you get it opened.
Specifically, she said Lloyds TSB is known for being the most hassle-free, and if you bank with HSBC or Barclays over here, they can help because they are international.
Their website for more info is: www.international.ed.ac.uk
 
Can anyone who went to the NY reception give a brief summary as to how it went? Blame my curiosity! 😀

Why, of course! I know WhyeverNot already responded (and yes, it was very cool to meet her and mom), but i thought i'd throw my .02 in as well.

I agree, Prof Corcoran was hysterical and did a fabulous job explaining the country, city and school. It seemed as though he very much directed his comments and anecdotes to past questions/concerns from N. American students. I got an overall sense of security from his presentation. He also brought to light several times the international status of Edinburgh (ranked 20th in the world), which made me even more proud to be going there 😀.

Dr. Hudson was also on spot with the humor and as Whyever mentioned, the barbing between the two over SA and Equine was fun. The facilities look unbelievable and between the research being performed there and the clinical opportunities, I am even more excited. I really liked his explanation of the program and learned a lot.

I felt that the staff and administration program-wide were warm and receptive to us Americans. They regularly metioned in stories how Americans liked certain things Scottish. They were adamant about us taking the move seriously and that we must be mature about it since it is not like we are just going a few hours away. They made it clear that we were emmigrating to a foreign country. It did hit home for me and I heard the message loud and clear.

I also got a better sense of the grading and teaching styles, which i really, really liked. They don't believe in sitting us in a classroom 8 hours a day and try very hard to mix up the way we learn by using different tools. I also personally like the fact that they do a lot of essays with testing. They believe this is very successful in ensuring we actually know the information that is beign taught.

Overall, i am very happy that i went (even though i had to change my flight to the crack of dawn today to beat the weather in VA) and it got me super excited to get on with it and get over there. I was pleasantly surprised with the turnout.

Oops, not so brief, sorry, but i wanted to give a little more detail for those who didn't go to either one. If anyone has any questions, fire away and i'll do my best!
 
Wow. Western was not too impressing and then talking to someone I graduated with this past June and is a first year and has convinced me. If western accepts me I'm declining hands down. I will wait to hear from them just to see how I stood against the other applicants. Feel like I wasted money coming but at least I know now. Also, I only came from northern cal. Definitely has pushed me closer to Edinburgh if anything. Now I just have to hear from uc davis which could totally make my decision harder or easier. We'll see!!!!
 
Plus! I'm sure the UK students have cars. Carpool!! Road Trips!

You guys are staying pretty busy on this thread! 😉

Just a couple of comments in general - being American is not tough in the city at all, or with your fellow students. There does seem to be a bit of a predisposition to take comments from N. American students as a culture shock thing, but no problems with general life. Student life is very much an undergrad experience, which suits most students just fine.

Banks - huge PITA. Seriously, I'd recommend Lloyd's as that seems to be the bank giving the fewest problems to students. Based on my experience, I would NOT recommend Abby/Santander. Traveler's checks are actually a bit of a pain, so if you have an account in the US, you might be better off just withdrawing money from ATMs in the UK or using plastic to charge here until you get your UK account running, but that's just JMO. You will need money, because once you finally get your bank account opened, if you're on student loans you then have to wait until the finance office distributes your check, which actually takes longer than you might hope. You go to the finance office, look at the checks which are in US funds, agree to the exchange rate, then sign over your checks to the school/their exchange broker. They then take a few days/to a week to convert the check and reissue it in pounds sterling. Then you go back and pick up your check and take it to your bank to deposit it. Depending on your bank, it will take 4-10 working days for your funds to be available in your account. Just be aware that things take time and have a way to deal with this.

Don't count on fellow students having cars! Fairly few and far between, but you really don't need a car for daily life. Most students live within walking distance of classes, or bus, or ride bicycles. When the school moves out to Easter Bush, walking likely won't be such an appealing option 😉 but there are currently two bus lines that run to the Easter Bush campus. (see lothianbuses.com for more info, bus lines 15 and 67.)

In our GEP class, the majority (%-wise) of our class is from the US, then UK. We'll join up with the current 2nd years in the fall for "3rd" year, and most of them seem to be from the UK. We do have some classes with 2nd years, but most of our classes are just the GEPs.

The profs are a pretty interesting crowd, and most of them are great. I can't think of one that hasn't been very willing to talk about questions or been approachable if you need help, so big thumbs up on that.

EMS - you really shouldn't have to pay for EMS, the only thing could be finding accommodation/board if you have to travel to complete your EMS. The school doesn't fund you for that, but most people should be able to complete most EMS without having to spend a lot of money. Over your spring break, you will need to do lambing within the UK, and you might have to travel to get to your farm, but most farmers will provide accommodation and food, and some will even pay you.

If there were any questions that I missed, let me know and I'll try to help out!
 
Tiempo: how'd you find a flat? Is there a Craiglist type equivalent for the UK? I noticed CL did have a UK section (even an Edinburgh area) but it was kind of sparse.

Also how far in advance would you suggest moving to the UK in relation to when school starts? Did you feel you moved too early? Too late? When did you move and were there any other pains associated with it (other than banks and what not)?

Any other advice you have? And is there a UK equivalent of SDN's message board for Edinburgh vet questions so I'm not constantly junking up this thread? lol
 
Thanks Tiempo. Lots of useful information. I'll let you know if I have any questions.
 
Tiempo: how'd you find a flat? Is there a Craiglist type equivalent for the UK? I noticed CL did have a UK section (even an Edinburgh area) but it was kind of sparse.

Also how far in advance would you suggest moving to the UK in relation to when school starts? Did you feel you moved too early? Too late? When did you move and were there any other pains associated with it (other than banks and what not)?

Any other advice you have? And is there a UK equivalent of SDN's message board for Edinburgh vet questions so I'm not constantly junking up this thread? lol

The Craigslist equivalent is Gumtree - http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/ That's actually where I found my place, and I know a number of other students that have found places on there as well. Obviously, as with CL, there are some scam artists lurking about, but just use common sense. I only ran into a couple that I was concerned about, and I contacted quite a few people about rentals through Gumtree.

You can only move to the UK up to one month in advance of when your classes start on a student visa, so don't plan arriving ahead of that! I actually only moved a few days ahead of when classes started, and that was ok for me. A little earlier probably wouldn't have been a bad thing, but since you need the official letter from the school to get your bank account, and you need your bank account to get x-y-z, getting here too early could have it's own set of issues. Some students got here quite early, some got here the day before orientation started.

I'm trying to remember if there were any other real issues with when I moved or anything, and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering that far back! 😀 I lived in the student housing for the first 5 week session, then out into my own place after that. One thing with looking for a flat on Gumtree is that there often aren't too many places that advertise this far in advance - things seem to be a more by-the-seat-of-the-pants approach when it comes to renting. Getting internet set up in a flat can be a looong and painful process, but it does eventually come together. If you do contact landlords, etc. be sure to let them know that you're a reasonable or mature student and not going to trash their apartment. You would not believe some of the places that I saw that were willing to rent to students just because they believe that students tend to be young slobs (aka the 18 year old college student).

There is a UK students forum, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=196 but I typically found SDN to be more useful.
 
Wow. Western was not too impressing and then talking to someone I graduated with this past June and is a first year and has convinced me. If western accepts me I'm declining hands down. I will wait to hear from them just to see how I stood against the other applicants. Feel like I wasted money coming but at least I know now. Also, I only came from northern cal. Definitely has pushed me closer to Edinburgh if anything. Now I just have to hear from uc davis which could totally make my decision harder or easier. We'll see!!!!

Well, at least that makes your choice easier. I personally am hoping you end up going with Edinburgh but that's just me. Good luck with Davis.
 
I actually only moved a few days ahead of when classes started, and that was ok for me.
Really? I guess the 'how'd you find a flat' question is answered by the next part but how did you get everything set up? Just through e-mail?


I lived in the student housing for the first 5 week session, then out into my own place after that.
Is this a common option or just something you worked out? Can you stay in the student housing for 5 week periods only or any kind of period (like could I stay for 1 week?).

I assume while you stayed in the student housing you spent that time looking for a flat? Or did you have a flat already and were just waiting for utilities to get hooked up and the delivery of furniture? Waiting for them to set up a bank account? Can you even get a student dorm without a bank account? Also I get the impression that most folks over there seem to live by themselves? Are roommates an option to reduce costs or is that just not part of their...culture, I suppose the word would be.

Also are there areas where you can rent the flat with furniture that comes with it? Or do you Ikea it?

Finally: how do you go about getting a student place? Just contact them on their website and then set it up from the states?



Man it all sounds so different the way things are done over there, but I suppose that's the point of studying abroad.
 
Last edited:
I've been researching Edinburgh like crazy and though you guys would find this helpful. This shows a little more in-depth view of the courses and how each part will be graded. I found another handout that helps but i dont remember the website and trying to upload the file isnt working so i'll keep trying.

5yr
https://www.star.euclid.ed.ac.uk/ipp/utclivms.htm

if you clink on s after the course it will give you more info
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/07-08/dpts/MVM_FINAL/002.html

GEP
https://www.star.euclid.ed.ac.uk/ipp/utclivm.htm


http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/07-08/dpts/MVM_FINAL/067.html


Here is the last website it came up weird as a html but at least i got it up
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:71RO0NTh0tEJ:www.currexec.vet.ed.ac.uk/docs/open/Paper_33a_RDSVS_progspec_2009-10.doc+university+of+EDINBURGH+PROGRAMME+FOR+BACHELOR+OF+VETERINARY+MEDICINE+AND+SURGERY&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
 
Last edited:
😀 It's really not as confusing as it sounds! I'll explain!

Really? I guess the 'how'd you find a flat' question is answered by the next part but how did you get everything set up? Just through e-mail?

Yep, answered in next part, but I would usually send an email first then call or go see a place.

Is this a common option or just something you worked out? Can you stay in the student housing for 5 week periods only or any kind of period (like could I stay for 1 week?).
I would imagine that they'll give you this option a little later on in the process, but it has been arranged in the past that GEP students can spend the first five weeks (when they've started in August and none of the other students start until mid-September) in student housing at Pollock Halls. That's the only student housing option you have for that first five week time period (at least, that's how it has been in the past so I'm guessing it would be the same for you guys) and is one of their 'catered' accommodations so it includes breakfast and dinner (but shared bathrooms).

Pollock Halls is kind of used as a B&B outside of the academic year, so you could reserve a room for a week during the time when students won't be there. There are tons of B&Bs in the city, though, so you could always go with one of those instead of Pollock.

I assume while you stayed in the student housing you spent that time looking for a flat?
Yes, that's right. I was a late applicant last year, and 'late' last year was MUCH later than you guys! I just couldn't deal with trying to find a place to live on top of everything else I was trying to arrange, so I took the 5-week option given to the GEPs and found a place to live while in student housing. This also enabled me to go talk with landlords and such, which when you're trying to find a place that will allow you to have 3 dogs, well... it really helps to meet people in person and convince them you're a responsible person and won't trash their place. 😉

Or did you have a flat already and were just waiting for utilities to get hooked up and the delivery of furniture? Waiting for them to set up a bank account? Can you even get a student dorm without a bank account? Also I get the impression that most folks over there seem to live by themselves? Are roommates an option to reduce costs or is that just not part of their...culture, I suppose the word would be.

Also are there areas where you can rent the flat with furniture that comes with it? Or do you Ikea it?
If you go with a private landlord versus an agency, you might not need a bank account first. You don't need a UK account to get student housing, but you do need to pay for it somehow. Since I didn't do student housing for the rest of the year, I can't confirm how all that is done, but for the 5 week session I had to give them a credit card number ahead of time. Can't remember if they charged it when I moved in or moved out...

Actually, a lot of people have roommates. Certainly most of my class. For the most parts, students either live in student housing or have roommates in private accommodation, but there are exceptions of people living alone.

Most places for rent are furnished. Make sure you verify, but I would say the majority of places you see come furnished.

Finally: how do you go about getting a student place? Just contact them on their website and then set it up from the states?
Once things get a little further on, the school will send you some papers (a LOT of papers... you'll be drowning in papers...) including information on booking student accommodation for the 5 week session. There will be a form you need to send in or submit via email to book a student place.

If you want to live in student housing for the year, they'll also provide information on that at the same time. A lot of my class is living in student housing, for a variety of reasons (ex. didn't want to try to find a private place the first year as they didn't know areas of the city, or some wanted catered accommodation so they wouldn't have to cook, etc.). [/QUOTE]

Man it all sounds so different the way things are done over there, but I suppose that's the point of studying abroad.
It'll start to make some sense! 🙂
 
Hey Tiempo, you mentioned that you were trying to find a flat that will allow 3 dogs. The uni allowed you to live at pollock halls for the 5 weeks with your dogs??

My biggest stressor is that I'm bringing my dog, I need to find a flat, and I can't go to Scotland just to look for a flat then come back to the States and bring all my belongings. I have a friend thats there now, so I'm wondering if the landlords are alright with my friend going to the viewings for me in July.

I'm not in GEP so I'm arriving in Edin Aug 21. Or do you think that I can just get to Edin on that date with my dog, stay at a pet friendly hotel, then go flat hunting before freshers week??

Sorry for bombarding you with all this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright thanks Tiempo. That answers a lot of questions and allays some misconceptions.


Ok one other question:
Convenient 1 bedroom flat with own front door - this clean and tidy property would suit a couple or single person looking for a flat in a great location 5 mins from city centre.
A great value for money property! Energy Efficiency Rating: D
So I see this a bit. It'll say "Energy Efficiency Rating: X". Is it on the same scale of the US? IE A = good, D = bad? I'd assume so but I don't see why they'd advertise an efficiency of D if it were bad.

What's it on a scale from? What do they use to measure energy efficiency and what's the point? In other words, how much in utilities cost would a D differ from an A?

Is there a way to find out what the energy efficiency is for flats that don't rate instead of asking the land lord? In other words, is there a central repository like the city halls here where you can go to get blueprints/info on the property?


Edit: Ok I lied, one other other question:
Council Tax Band B.

Wassat?
 
Last edited:
Energy efficiency certificates - landlords should have those available for prospective tenants to view. I'm not sure that there is a central repository, but they are required to have the certificates done by licensed inspectors, so it's not some letter they can just make up themselves.

The scale is from A to G, with A being good, G being bad. So, D is pretty much middle of the road. This website should have some more info you might find useful, as I don't actually know what the $/month difference in utilities would be between properties. http://www.energyperformancecertificatesscotland.co.uk/epc-energy-performance-certificates.htm

Council tax - as a full-time student, you won't have to pay that. The school sends a list of full-time students to the city council, and you can opt out of having your info on that list, but IMO do NOT opt out of that! If you are renting private accommodation, you will need to apply to the council for a council tax exemption. If your name and student number is already on the list they've received from the school, it is as easy as sending an email to the council. Otherwise you have to run around filling out forms and getting things stamped - you won't need any more hassle of running to and fro filling out forms. Trust me on that.

You'll see things in rental listings like - 'students only' or 'no students, or must pay share of council tax.' That's because students are exempt from council tax, so typically non-students want to share with non-students because the council tax will be divided up equally between renters and students don't want to pay it since they don't have to legally pay (but non-students won't want to pay your share, and it is by household not person within the house). Essentially, it's an extra required fee imposed by the city council, and there are different 'bands' based on the value of the property. Higher value property = higher council tax. Should be a non-issue for students as long as you share an apartment with another student and apply to the council for exemption (which is not a big deal at all).

Dogs - sorry, that was unclear before. No, you cannot have pets in university housing. I'm married, and my spouse stayed at home with the dogs for the first while so I didn't have dogs when I moved over. They all moved over into our rented place after a while.

Some landlords would be fine with meeting your friend, others will want to meet you in person - it all depends on the landlord. You could stay in a pet friendly hotel and look for somewhere to live, but keep in mind that you will need to book soon for August. The Festival is on during August and B&Bs and hotels fill up far ahead of time (and frequently raise their rates for August as well).

How big is your dog? One thing in your favor is that you only have one dog - not really too hard to find dog-friendly housing here for one dog. It's when you have 3 that things start getting a little more interesting, but obviously it's still do-able. Don't know if it's an option, but you could also move and have a friend or family member put your dog on the plane for you in the states when you've found a place here? Good luck with all of that - I know how very stressful that can get. I was ready to pull my hair out a few times, but my crew all made it here safe and sound. :luck:
 
Thanks Tiempo for your answers!

Unfortunately, with all the paperwork for the Pet Passport scheme, I have to take my dog with me on the plane. Luckily, my mother is coming with me to help me out and not feel like Wtf-am-I-doing-in-the-middle-of-Scotland-with-a-dog. Lol Its only one dog and she is a 50 pounder. To me she is a medium sized dog, but to others, ppl run away in fear for some odd reason. (I think b/c in my neighborhood everyone and their mother has chihuahuas and teacups). My dog is a mix of a shep/lab/hound.

There is an HSBC bank here in Miami so I am going to talk to them about opening an account before I head over to Scotland. If all is good then the landlords will be quite happy with a proof of a UK bank account. I def have a feeling that I am going to be staying at a hotel and that 1st week in Scotland be completely in flat hunting mode.

I still have 1 class to finish in order to pass my conditional offer but I am already making reservations. Already got my plane tickets and rental car, now I gotta make reservations to Doggy loving B&Bs. (I'm taking a road trip from London to Edin so my dog doesnt go through another flight after a 9 hour flight from Miami)

I'm hoping I can get through this big obstacle and I'm glad for everyone's help! Thank you all!! 😉
 
SoBe, I have had HSBC for the past 3 years and I LOVE them. They are a great bank and totally user friendly.
 
SoBe, I have had HSBC for the past 3 years and I LOVE them. They are a great bank and totally user friendly.

Really? That's great to hear! Were there any specific criterias for opening an account with them?
 
SoBe and Tiempo, thank you for all the questions and answers. I went to the reception in San Francisco and got a lot of useful information but you guys are really filling in the blanks. I am very grateful.
 
Damn but getting a visa sounds confusing.


How do you apply for it? I've read about some companies like travisa, albriggs and allstar, but is that the norm? Seems like you'd have to apply through the government.

Also how do you get FAFSA to deposit the money into a bank account? Traditionally they've always just sent it directly to the college (for my UG that is).

And finally, how do you get a bank transfer between a US bank and a UK bank? Will it cost extra money to do that?
 
For any current students: how often do you actually go home? I can imagine it would be too expensive to go home more than once or twice per year...
 
Has anyone tried to pay the BVM&S deposit by credit card? The link seems to be broken from the booklet they mailed us.
 
For someone completely dependent on financial aid (I would like a job but I'm not counting on it!) how much is it reasonable to assume you'll be able to spend per month on a flat? Also, for the life of me, I can't seem to find any pet friendly flats online - does anyone have any links to send my way??? Thanks!

You need to email or phone the landlord or realtor if they are pet friendly. Although they would prefer ppl w/o pets (especially in furnished flats), they can make an exception based off the species/breed/personality of your pet and how mature of a student you are. (I, too, am trying to find an affordable, close to Uni, pet friendly flat)

Just a note, the flats that are shown now in the Edinburgh renting sites are available to move in now. I already made my 100+ enquiries to places I wanted to check out and they all told me to wait closer for the day I fly to Scotland. It helps that the realtor/landlord gets to meet you in person especially if you want to sugar coat how much of a "sweet angel" your pet is. LOL *looks at her dog*

Good luck!:luck:
 
For any current students: how often do you actually go home? I can imagine it would be too expensive to go home more than once or twice per year...

Hmm well it kind of varies with people here. I went home for Christmas, I'm gonna go home after lambing for a few weeks, and then the summer. Some others are doing that, or the just do winter and summer. Still others haven't gone home yet and won't until summertime. And then some people, especially the married ones i've found, don't go home every year..maybe every other?

Oh and sign up for FFM...I'm doing it with British Airways...hoping for free flights eventually.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got in! I got in! Holy cow, I got in!


Congrats!!!!! 🙂 Where do you think you're going to go? You have an Edinburgh acceptance too, don't you?


Ugh, now we know for sure it's the waiting game for the rest of us who applied there.
 
Congrats!!!!! 🙂 Where do you think you're going to go? You have an Edinburgh acceptance too, don't you?


Ugh, now we know for sure it's the waiting game for the rest of us who applied there.

Thanks! I am still leaning toward Edinburgh because the Dublin program is fairly new and they are still working out the kinks. Plus, the Edinburgh reception really sold me.