Glasgow/Edinburgh/RVC/Dublin

Started by lalzi22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh cool! Of course it would be a little difficult since I don't have a car, but what the heck. If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the info, i'd appreciate it.
 
Hi all! Haven't been on here in a bit, but since I'm trying to avoid doing something for tomorrow... 😀

Just wanted to tell everyone that is going to the Edinburgh receptions to have fun. Profs. Corcoran and Hudson are both very personable and helpful people, and I'm sure you'll like them. I only saw Geraldine on the first day of classes and not since, but she was always helpful via email in the pre-entry phase.

For those of you entering the GEP program, I would encourage you to do as much of your EMS as you are allowed before starting. You have 12 weeks to do total, and it must be done by the beginning of August of your second year (so, the end of your first summer). This year our last day is June 4th, then all EMS forms have to be handed in by August 2nd, so you don't have as much time in the summer as you might think. You don't want to spend your entire winter break and spring break doing EMS!

Always happy to answer questions, but you might want to PM me if I don't get back to you right away since I'm not checking here terribly often. Good luck to those of you still waiting!
 
Tiempo!!!! thanks for showing up! Wish you were on here more often, but apparently they are keeping you busy. A few of us are going to the reception, so it should be fun.

come back and visit again...it's nice having current students around.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I just received an email asking if I'd rather be considered for the 4yr or 5yr program at Edinburgh. Anyone have suggestions, besides the 4yr being shorter, what are the advantages and disadvantages.

The worst part is that I was suppose to be heading to the Middle East in March for a year, does anyone know if I can differ until next year.

Right know I am mixed with emotions so anyone with advice/answers, please respond ASAP.

Thanks
 
got into the 5yr program at edinburgh! im not sure if i can go to the reception with such late notice. 😀 😍
 
got into the 5yr program at edinburgh! im not sure if i can go to the reception with such late notice. 😀 😍

Congrats! Don't worry, a good portion of us can't go to the reception. I'm sure those that can will tell us all about it and fill us in with all the info they acquire.
 
Hello everyone, I just received an email asking if I'd rather be considered for the 4yr or 5yr program at Edinburgh. Anyone have suggestions, besides the 4yr being shorter, what are the advantages and disadvantages.

The worst part is that I was suppose to be heading to the Middle East in March for a year, does anyone know if I can differ until next year.

Right know I am mixed with emotions so anyone with advice/answers, please respond ASAP.

Thanks

i got the same email...such mixed emotions right now :scared::scared::scared::scared:. Ross vs Edinburgh (thus far)...any suggestions? i trust you guys & respect your opinions (probably more than I should trust tons of people that I've never met lol)
 
Was just wondering what time you got the email from Edinburgh?

I am still waiting to hear something. You all applied late right?
 
Does anyone know if acceptance can be deferred for a year? I’m in such a predicament, I am suppose to head back to the Middle East in March so I had to drop my spring 2010 classes and now my conditional offer states I must receive B’s in my spring classes. Am I screwed? Today is probably my happiest and saddest day rolled into one.
 
Last edited:
Accepted to 4 year program! Interesting turn of events....


My parents, who I never told I was applying to Edinburgh (since I did it late instead of VMCAS), are not happy lol.
 
i also applied late and got the email around 930am eastern time. good luck to those of you who havent heard
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got the same email...such mixed emotions right now :scared::scared::scared::scared:. Ross vs Edinburgh (thus far)...any suggestions? i trust you guys & respect your opinions (probably more than I should trust tons of people that I've never met lol)

I would do Edinburgh simply because it is AVMA accredited so it'll be MUCH easier for you to come back here to practice. Also, there are federal loans for Edin., so its not all crazy expensive private loans. Plus SCOTLAND, hellooooo. haha, but thats just what I would do. I wouldn't want to deal with international tests or crazy high interest private loans.
 
I also think Edinburgh would be the clearcut choice, for the same reasons that lalz listed. Accred vs nonaccred to me is the dealbreaker/maker
 
I would choose Edinburgh hands down. AVMA accredited (ergo less hoops to jump through later), and the pure fact that it's Scotland make it an obvious choice for me.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances today! 🙂

Just out of curiosity, has anyone decided that they are definitely going international? I still have to hear from UC Davis (IS, and no interview invites go out for another 2 weeks), and Western (interviewing on 2/5). My choice is clear if I don't get into Davis, but if I do then I have some serious thinking to do. I'm going to the SF reception tomorrow in hopes of gaining some perspective (besides the fact that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to study out of the country and I'll be in debt for a while, so why not). Anyone else attending tomorrow?
 
I would choose Edinburgh hands down. AVMA accredited (ergo less hoops to jump through later), and the pure fact that it's Scotland make it an obvious choice for me.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances today! 🙂

Just out of curiosity, has anyone decided that they are definitely going international? I still have to hear from UC Davis (IS, and no interview invites go out for another 2 weeks), and Western (interviewing on 2/5). My choice is clear if I don't get into Davis, but if I do then I have some serious thinking to do. I'm going to the SF reception tomorrow in hopes of gaining some perspective (besides the fact that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to study out of the country and I'll be in debt for a while, so why not). Anyone else attending tomorrow?

I am in a similar boat - I have an interview with Tufts next week, and still waiting to hear from Penn, but part of me wants to just GO and move to Scotland because hello, how freaking cool would that be. On the other hand, there are plenty of cons. I'll be at the NYC reception later this week and I'm hoping it'll help. But I'll probably just be more confused.
 
Just out of curiosity, has anyone decided that they are definitely going international? I still have to hear from UC Davis (IS, and no interview invites go out for another 2 weeks), and Western (interviewing on 2/5). My choice is clear if I don't get into Davis, but if I do then I have some serious thinking to do. I'm going to the SF reception tomorrow in hopes of gaining some perspective (besides the fact that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to study out of the country and I'll be in debt for a while, so why not). Anyone else attending tomorrow?

I am at a loss too. I have an interview at Western, wont here from UF for an interview until March. I personally want to go to Edinburgh... but I am afraid of costs of travel (transporting my cats) and bringing my significant other (we aren't married, but in a 5 year(so far) committed relationship). It will be a pain to get a visa for her without marrying her. It would just be so much easier to go to a US school, even though I want to study abroad.:scared:
 
i just got my acceptance email today as well. i applied late and didn't even have my LOR's sent over yet! it kind of makes me wonder if they reject anyone at all, although at this point i don't really care either way - i'm definately going to vet school in the fall!

they definitely did reject people. I just got my rejection today. 🙁
 
Does anyone know if acceptance can be deferred for a year? I’m in such a predicament, I am suppose to head back to the Middle East in March so I had to drop my spring 2010 classes and now my conditional offer states I must receive B’s in my spring classes. Am I screwed? Today is probably my happiest and saddest day rolled into one.

I deferred last year. Did you get accepted to the 4 yr or 5yr? My guess, is if you got conditional into the 4yr, you could probably start the 5yr without taking your spring classes. Might want to check on that.....

Congrats!
 
Hey All- I'm in the process of filling out my FAFSA, and I know that you can get federal aid for Glasgow and Edinburgh. Does anyone know how to add them as designations on the FAFSA, or is there another way we have to do it? I'm a little confused..
 
Hey All- I'm in the process of filling out my FAFSA, and I know that you can get federal aid for Glasgow and Edinburgh. Does anyone know how to add them as designations on the FAFSA, or is there another way we have to do it? I'm a little confused..

When you go to input the school code you have to say that it is an international school and then you can search for the school code from the international list. I hope that makes sense.
 
Anyone know of a website with say, guidelines or a checklist or something with stuff you need to do before going, and how to go about it? I know I need to get a student visa, a passport, and convert currency, but beyond that I've no idea where to start.


Oh and probably a vaccine or two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey does anyone know how we would go about getting a visa for a SO for edinburgh? My boyfriend is older and would not be a student so I wasn't sure how he could go about getting a work visa or something like that. Mb the people who went to the reception can let us know if they said anything about this. I also wanted to know if the school will set up where you do your EMS? And what is the cost? like do you just pay for room and food? I was a late applicant so i'm behind on how their program works. Also any information about housing would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
 
Hey does anyone know how we would go about getting a visa for a SO for edinburgh? My boyfriend is older and would not be a student so I wasn't sure how he could go about getting a work visa or something like that. Mb the people who went to the reception can let us know if they said anything about this. I also wanted to know if the school will set up where you do your EMS? And what is the cost? like do you just pay for room and food? I was a late applicant so i'm behind on how their program works. Also any information about housing would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I just got back from the San Francisco reception. Yvonne wasn't there because she is six months pregnant. She is really the one to talk to about your questions so they told us with those questions to email her. Sorry I couldn't do better than that.
 
Hey does anyone know how we would go about getting a visa for a SO for edinburgh? My boyfriend is older and would not be a student so I wasn't sure how he could go about getting a work visa or something like that. Mb the people who went to the reception can let us know if they said anything about this. I also wanted to know if the school will set up where you do your EMS? And what is the cost? like do you just pay for room and food? I was a late applicant so i'm behind on how their program works. Also any information about housing would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Yeah, at the reception they said to email Yvonne for questions. They DID give out some information though. I really enjoyed the reception! 🙂

VISAS
Apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa. The earliest you can apply for it is 3 months prior to the start to the date of the course. They cost 145GBP. You must have a unconditional firm to apply. The website they gave out for more info was:
www.international.ed.ac.uk/immigration/index.php

EMS
They didn't give specifics since everyone is required the same thing. It basically includes a week (at minimum) of basic husbandry with every specie. GEP students can complete 6 of the 12 weeks prior to the course with a possible of 4 weeks exempted. Non-GEP students could possibly get 4 weeks exempt. Contact Yvonne to get Kay's contact info (I think the name was Kay) who is the director of EMS to find out if you can get anything exempt or if you can get some experience you want to do approved.

COST
They didn't say where, but said it could be found on their website. Tuition is a fixed 22,200 pounds. Accommodation rates depend on where you are. It's about 300 pounds/month for private residence. Virtual tours of university accommodation services are at:
www.accom.ed.ac.uk
 
So do most people live on campus at Edinburgh or in the city itself? Also we shouldn't even bother applying for a visa until we've satisfied all the conditions set forth?
 
So do most people live on campus at Edinburgh or in the city itself? Also we shouldn't even bother applying for a visa until we've satisfied all the conditions set forth?

It sounds like you can't apply for a visa until you have an unconditional firm because you need that paper that says that you are for sure going to the UK to study. One thing he mentioned, is if for some reason your visa gets denied, start a new one, don't reapply. If you reapply, it goes to the bottom of the pile. Start a fresh one like you've never applied for one before.

They didn't mention percentages of people who live on or off campus. It's pretty much preference. Dr. Corcoran did point out areas on the map where most [vet school] students live. And said not to live north of the university center since it'd take forever to get to class.
 
Did they mention parts of town to avoid? IE wrong side of the tracks kinda deal?


Also anyone know where to send official transcripts?
 
Did they mention parts of town to avoid? IE wrong side of the tracks kinda deal?


Also anyone know where to send official transcripts?

Yvonne told me to check out flats in the south side of Edinburgh or south/south-east side from Edinburgh castle. The uni is there by The Meadows and Roslin is outside of the city where Easter Bush is (southeast outskirts of Edin). I'm hoping I can find someone to carpool to Roslin if the shuttles/bus take forever!

To send official transcripts send it to:

BVM&S Admissions Office
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush Veterinary Centre
Roslin
EDINBURGH EH25 9RG
 
Is the EMS cost included in the cost of tuition? Im assuming it depends where you go
 
Alot of students I knew over there lived flats around the meadows, so you might look around there. There are also alot of random places along Nicholson/South Bridge.

I knew someone who lived along Cowgate, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Its a really big party street, with numerous pubs and clubs, and tends to get pretty loud. I specifically remember alot of drunk undergrads singing, and the occasional brawl 😱 lol.

Grassmarket is also a really cool area, but I don't know much about flat availability over there, and it may be a more expensive area too.

If I think of any more places, i'll be sure to post 🙂

Edinburgh is AMAZING everyone
 
So is "The Meadows" actually meadows, or just a name?

"The Meadows" is a nice park just outside the center of town. Its basically a huge grassy area where people lay out, play football (soccer, obviously), kids run around, whatever-when the weather is nice, of course. Its a really great area, I definitely spent alot of hours lazing around there. There are a few rows of flats going along the outside of the park that seem pretty popular for university students. I think there might be a real name for the residential area, but I just call it "The Meadows," since thats how I refer to that entire area.

Hope this helps
 
It sounds like you can't apply for a visa until you have an unconditional firm because you need that paper that says that you are for sure going to the UK to study. One thing he mentioned, is if for some reason your visa gets denied, start a new one, don't reapply. If you reapply, it goes to the bottom of the pile. Start a fresh one like you've never applied for one before.


Trust me when I say DO NOT GET DENIED. Bad bad bad idea. Every time you fly over they will flag your passport and they will hold you at the airport until is gets cleared. And I know one girl who got deported. SO just wait until you have ALL the information you need in one nice neat little stack 3 months before you leave, send it priority etc to make sure it gets there, or hand deliver it. You're going to need all of you transcripts, your official acceptance letter, your passport, extra passport photos, fingerprints, proof you can pay(bank statement), and I believe if you use loans, a letter from the org...and I might even be forgetting something.

So...stop, pause, breathe..it is only February...you have plenty of time to figure out housing, visas, and everything else. Just celebrate the fact that you are in for now!!
 
So I am really starting to freak out about my glasgow interview in 2 weeks. Glasgow is my top choice and seems like the best fit for me. So far I have been rejected to every school I applied other than my acceptance to Ross and waiting to hear from Glasgow and Dublin. I know that Glasgow is an amazing school and in the face of all this rejection I feel like my interview invitation had to be a mistake and my chances of being accepted very slim.

Sorry to grip, just need to share with someone, other than my overly optimistic family.
 
Im starting to get nervous about Dublin. This week is the "2nd week" that they may possibly notify us. Ughhhhhhh. *breathes*:scared:
 
So I am really starting to freak out about my glasgow interview in 2 weeks. Glasgow is my top choice and seems like the best fit for me. So far I have been rejected to every school I applied other than my acceptance to Ross and waiting to hear from Glasgow and Dublin. I know that Glasgow is an amazing school and in the face of all this rejection I feel like my interview invitation had to be a mistake and my chances of being accepted very slim.

Sorry to grip, just need to share with someone, other than my overly optimistic family.

It's OK peachy!!! I know rejections are tough, I was right there with you last year! Glasgow was my first and only interview. I had been rejected from 10 US schools without an interview before mine, so I was super nervoussss...low and behold I got into Dublin and Glasgow after what I thought had been a horribleeee interview. Just explain to them why you think Glasgow(or Dublin) is such a good fit for you and Be Yourself!!!!!

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!! :luck::luck::luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's OK peachy!!! I know rejections are tough, I was right there with you last year! Glasgow was my first and only interview. I had been rejected from 10 US schools without an interview before mine, so I was super nervoussss...low and behold I got into Dublin and Glasgow after what I thought had been a horribleeee interview. Just explain to them why you think Glasgow(or Dublin) is such a good fit for you and Be Yourself!!!!!

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!! :luck::luck::luck:


Hey Shortnsweet, can I ask how you chose between Glasgow and Dublin? I have applied to both and I feel like if both accepted me it would be a really hard decision!
 
Im starting to get nervous about Dublin. This week is the "2nd week" that they may possibly notify us. Ughhhhhhh. *breathes*:scared:

OMG yes I am pretty much in complete freak out mode! Especially since I have no idea if they are going to e-mail us (which means we could find out as soon as 2 days) or snail mail the decisions (which could take as long as another two weeks!) I don't know if I should be checking my mailbox or inbox but the waiting is killing me!:scared: I just want to fast forward through time, or just go sleep through the next week or something...sigh...
 
So I have a question. They accepted me into the 4 year program, but I know there's a 5 year program, and some people are given the choice between the two. I don't think I was given a choice, unless the choice is intrinsic in the 4 year offer.

Anyhow, I was curious: I know the 5 year is the normal scheme that people follow over there, so us people in the four year program, are we tracking alone or do we take classes with the 5 year folks as well, just more of them or what?


I guess I don't understand the difference between the two programs.
 
So I have a question. They accepted me into the 4 year program, but I know there's a 5 year program, and some people are given the choice between the two. I don't think I was given a choice, unless the choice is intrinsic in the 4 year offer.

Anyhow, I was curious: I know the 5 year is the normal scheme that people follow over there, so us people in the four year program, are we tracking alone or do we take classes with the 5 year folks as well, just more of them or what?


I guess I don't understand the difference between the two programs.


I'm assuming you're referring to Edinburgh's program. The programs are exactly the same for the 3rd-5th years. The only difference is that the GEP people have one less year where the first two years of information are combined into one year (plus 5 weeks, which is why we'd start August 9th instead of Sept 21st). People in the GEP program, following their first year, join the 3rd year students to complete the program. Edinburgh doesn't do tracking and expects you to do ALL species. You can cater your husbandry and clinical EMS times to be primarily one specie or another (but still need to do the minimum of cattle, sheep, swine, etc.). And you must complete 12 weeks of EMS by the end of the first year instead of getting 2 years to finish it. GEP students can complete 6 of those weeks before the program starts. Both GEP and non-GEP students can get up to 4 weeks exempt. And, of course, GEP students pay one year less of tuition.

Not sure that there were any other differences other than those things. And if I'm wrong or misunderstood anything, I'm sure someone on here will correct me. 🙂
 
So what do they use to decide between whether you're 4 or 5 year eligible? Also is the curriculum for the two programs on their site? I've crawled all over that thing but it's pretty hard to find info on it. Or at least I suck at doing so.

And what does 'GEP' and 'EMS' stand for? I know what they are (or think I do: GEP being 4th year program, EMS being the 12 weeks of extraneous work we need to do) just don't know what the acronyms are.