Glasgow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJlovin

Glasgow Vet c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone's interested in and has questions about U. of Glasgow, feel free to send them my way.

I started this year... and I'm LOVIN' it!!

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on going international because I really doubt I'll be able to get into any vet school here in Canada (there's only one I can apply to due to residency rules and they only take 15 students from my province a year!). I have been looking a Glasgow and any info you can provide would be great. Such as, what was the interview process (if any) like? How is the school generally? And how hard is it to get into? etc. etc. :)

I would LOVE to hear more about it!

I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to get to study abroad in Europe for so long. How hard was the transition for you culturally? (assuming you're American)

Do you think you'll be limited in terms of options after graduation in the USA because you went abroad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on going international because I really doubt I'll be able to get into any vet school here in Canada (there's only one I can apply to due to residency rules and they only take 15 students from my province a year!). I have been looking a Glasgow and any info you can provide would be great. Such as, what was the interview process (if any) like? How is the school generally? And how hard is it to get into? etc. etc. :)

Hey there! The interview process was really laid back. You had a choice of going to California or New York for your interview. Could be more options...but those are the only two I remember. The interview is only 30 minutes: open-file, 2 interviewers. Talking to my classmates, it seems like they always had 1 professor and 1 admissions officer as interviewers.

The admissions officer asked basic questions; ie: how do you think you'd adjust to living in another country; why u of glasgow; explain your work history, etc. The professor asked test-like questions; ie: what is a zoonotic disease, how do you get them, etc. The trick to the 'harder' questions is simple: if you don't know, say so! Don't try to BS your way around it - I think that is what they are really testing you on.

In general, they were very nice and responsive. If you go in for an interview with them, RELAX and be yourself. Some of my classmates had interviewers who were cracking jokes with them.... the really seem to enjoy what they do and really seem interested in what you have to say. I heard back from them within a couple weeks after the interview.

As far as how hard is it to get into...that's a little harder to answer. I can tell you that our class has approx 110-120 students, and 29 of them are North American.....6 or 7 canadians. GPA's seem to be across the board... 3.0 and up. The US students all seem to have a background working with animals; but of those, many are geared toward one area; ie - small animal only, large animal only, research etc. So it seems like you don't have to have experience across the board. In fact, most of my experience was small animal - one of my interviewers asked me if I felt comfortable working with other animal types.
Don't get me wrong...it's not the easiest school to get into to (in fact my friends vet is scottish and he was rejected - he ended up at illinois), but it is possible.... and more possible than some of the US schools. I really didn't think I was going to get in, but I gave it shot, and now I'm loving scottish life!!

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

I would LOVE to hear more about it!

I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to get to study abroad in Europe for so long. How hard was the transition for you culturally? (assuming you're American)

Do you think you'll be limited in terms of options after graduation in the USA because you went abroad?

The transition time, in general, for me was nil. I'll tell you though, for some it's really easy, others not so much. I've found that the people who've never left their home before (even for undergrad) are having a slower time adjusting. I lived in Paris for 5 weeks, so I had some understanding of what Europe is like. For those that haven't been here before, I'd say the fastest way to get adjusted is to come here with an open mind. One of the best things about coming to glasgow is the different cultures of your classmates. If you go to a state school...the majority of those students are from that state. Glasgow has people from all around the world. It's been great learning about all the other cultures....great experience!! You don't need previous foreign experience in order to adjust to the move.... I guess it just depends on how independent a person you are.

There are little things that we all have a hard time with. It's a different cultural so things are run differently here. Phone contracts are different, you need to have a license to watch tv (don't even get me started on that...but there are some ways around it), food brands are different, and some of our favorite medicines are non existent in the stores. You get used to all these little details much faster though.

As far as options after graduation: the answer is a firm NO. That's one of the major benefits of coming to Glasgow - you'll be able to work in the US, Canada, UK, the EU and any commonwealth country. No extra exams; just state boards like everyone else in the US. With the way they test over here and all the hands-on experience we're given (we started working on live animals in our 2nd week!!)... it wouldn't be crazy of me to say that we could out-compete others for residencies, etc. EMS is a big thing over here (in all the UK vet schools) - you have acquire so many weeks getting hands on experience with different animals types on your vacation breaks: ie - 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks equine, 8 weeks your choice; etc. I believe it's 12 weeks total for our pre-clinical years, and 26 weeks for the clinical years. You can complete all but the dairy in any country you want. Dairy must be in the UK. As for me, I'm not sure I'll return to the US (given the current state of the economy), and there's others in my class, as well as upper years, who feel the same way.

Thanks for the answers! But I've a few more. So if I went to Glasgow I would be able to work in north America without any extra exams? Oh and, what is the tuition fee for a year? And how are you paying for it? I don't know how I'll ever afford it. I think it was around $200,000 including living expenses? :(

Hey Chippymunk,

I see you're from Vancouver, me too! Are you talking about Saskatchewan? Because I think they increased their quota to 20 BC students this year. I was looking at their newsletter http://blogs.usask.ca/wcvm_news/2008/10/wcvm_welcomes_76_members_of_th.html#more if you scroll down and go through all the new students in their "white coat ceremony booklet" they have 20 who are from BC. Goodluck!

Thanks for the answers! But I've a few more. So if I went to Glasgow I would be able to work in north America without any extra exams? Oh and, what is the tuition fee for a year? And how are you paying for it? I don't know how I'll ever afford it. I think it was around $200,000 including living expenses? :(

Yes, you would be able to work in the US without extra exams. Just have to take the NAVLE and any state boards...just like everyone else.

The tuition this year is 17,500 pounds....at today's rate it's about $30K. When I started it was around $34K....the currency exchange has gotten much better since I started. Soooo happy about that!!! =) If you're living on campus (most do for first year) it's another $6K - $8K. Off campus, not sure. Most seem to be spending about 350 pounds and up for private flats. Which I guess is comparable to back home...way cheaper than some major states.

As for paying it, I took out Stafford Loans through my credit Union (max amount) and a GradPLUS loan. I'm fortunate in that I have quite a bit in savings too. I know people who have been given the option to skip first year....both at Glasgow and Edinburgh. It's a good deal, but there are stipulations. At least for Glasgow, my friend had to come early in summer and take a year's worth of anatomy in a week, biomolec in a week, husbandry a week, etc. All of first year, done in a month....and then she had to take the professional exams just like all the other first years. She passed...so it's possible. But I can imagine it is very stressful.

If you're coming from Canada, I think it's harder financially. One of my friends said the Canadian government wouldn't give her loans to come here. So she's been busy picking up every little job since she's been here. But she is managing. She's not behind on any of the work load.

When I got accepted...I didn't think I could afford it either. But CSU was my first choice and that school would have cost me $52/year. Much more than Glasgow. Yes...Glasgow is 5 years; but you're also not having to pay health care for 5 years. So in the end 4 years at CSU is the about the same amount as 5 in Glasgow. Western was $240 for the full program...and that place isn't even accredited!! (at least it wasn't when I applied last year) It just came down to wether or not I wanted it bad enough. I worked hard to get here, and thus, wanted to be here. A good portion of the North American students feel that if they remain in the UK for a little while after graduation, they'll be able to pay off their loans quicker. Making income in pounds and converting it back to dollars....not a bad idea! :D

So yeah...hope that answered your questions (in a round about way, haha). Feel free to ask some more. Cheers!

Hey Chippymunk,

I see you're from Vancouver, me too! Are you talking about Saskatchewan? Because I think they increased their quota to 20 BC students this year. I was looking at their newsletter http://blogs.usask.ca/wcvm_news/2008/10/wcvm_welcomes_76_members_of_th.html#more if you scroll down and go through all the new students in their "white coat ceremony booklet" they have 20 who are from BC. Goodluck!

Oh really? Still, if you think about it, 20 students from a whole province can make things crazy competitive. I'll try applying but I really doubt I'll get in, although if I do, all the better since I'll have less tuition fees to pay and it's closer to home. If I don't get in, it's still okay because now I really want to go to Glasgow or perhaps another European school! :laugh: Also, which university do you go to? I'm wondering if going to UBC or SFU would effect anything. Maybe interviewers would think UBC is better or something?

Oh, and to the OP, may I inquire as to how your grades were in university? How much (and what kind) of animal experience did you have? I'm a bit paranoid about having too low of a GPA or too little animal experience =p

Hi Chippymunk,

I'm from UBC. Actually when I graduated from my BSc, I applied to Glasgow and got accepted, but decided not to go because of the cost, I'm doing my MSc now with the hopes of getting accepted in Sask or if not, Guelph, but I would need to establish residency in Ont for the latter.

Anyway, I don't know if Sask would think UBC is better, I think they accepted more UBC students than SFU students because UBC has bigger animal science-related programs, I'm not even sure if SFU has anything like that.

Glasgow sounds so awesome, I had my interview in Washington DC and the people who interviewed me were so nice and supportive. But again, it's so expensive, I think as Canadians, we can apply for a special type of Strafford loan similar to the one that PJovin was talking about.

Op: thanks for all of the helpful information !! Did you look at any other UK universities too and if so what made you decide on glasgow? And did you take. a lot of science in undergrad? Did Glasgow seem repetitive at first?

I'm Interested!

Is it hard being away from friends, family, SO for that long? How do you manage?

Do you believe you have gotten a better education / experiences since going out of the country?

I heard many international schools start their students at a 5 year program... meaning.... would I be going to school with a bunch of 19 year olds with me being 22 or 23?

Thanks!

Op: thanks for all of the helpful information !! Did you look at any other UK universities too and if so what made you decide on glasgow? And did you take. a lot of science in undergrad? Did Glasgow seem repetitive at first?

The only other UK Vet school I considered was Edinburgh. I chose Glasgow simply because it was the cheaper of the two; and Edinburgh is generally too touristy for my taste. If I was going to be in Europe, I wanted it to be as close to authentic as possible. I've only see 2 tourist shops in glasgow since I've been here... I went to Edinburgh a couple weekends ago and I felt like I was in NYC with all the crowds. Quite the difference! Edinburgh does have better weather though. :p

I did take quite a lot of science in undergrad simply because I have 2 degrees (health science & biology). The info in class is repetitive, but only as a review. There are some things were 'reviewing' in class that I haven't seen in a few years. So it's been nice having this review time. Some of the UK students I've talked to think we're moving really fast.... but this is their first time in Uni so it's understandable. We're told 2nd year is really hectic.... so I'm enjoying the first year to the fullest!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Interested!

Is it hard being away from friends, family, SO for that long? How do you manage?

Do you believe you have gotten a better education / experiences since going out of the country?

I heard many international schools start their students at a 5 year program... meaning.... would I be going to school with a bunch of 19 year olds with me being 22 or 23?

Thanks!

If you've never been away from home for a couple of weeks at a time... I can imagine it would be rough at first. I'm a very independent person so I don't feel like it's been difficult to manage. I have a good calling plan with the phone company, so I call home at least once a week. Message boards are also a great way to keep in touch.... as is the messenger services.
Regardless, if I weren't as independent of a person, I feel like I have a great support system here. There are 29 north americans in my class....so that's 28 other people that are going through the same exact thing (not to mention the other students that come from outside the UK.) Also, the staff and professors seem to take you under their wing as they know it's a big adjustment to come here. Lastly, and I'd recommend this to anyone moving out-of-state or abroad, I started my own group on a message boards site. I was able to meet my classmates (online) a couple of months before we even moved to glasgow. We helped each other with the moving process (VISA's, baggage info, etc) and by the time we arrived in Glasgow, we felt like old friends. We planned a night out the first week here, had a great turn out and met even more of our classmates. So from the start, I never felt alone... I always knew I could lean on one of them for support.

Yes, I feel like I'm getting a GREAT experience by being out of the country. I've met people from all over the world; learned about other cultures...and networked to no end!! It's easy to travel around over here... so we've already started doing that.... and have plenty of trips in mind for the future. I just don't think you can put a value on these experiences. I love the fact that my classmates come from all around the world... not just majority Florida or Colorado, for example. We have fun learning the differences in teaching methods, government, food, etc.

As far as a better education... I can't say since I've just only finished my first month of class. But I will say that the amount of animal experience you're given here is definitely invaluable. The testing is different which makes it harder (eliminates guessing on exams), but I think it also makes you retain the info better. I like the fact that we have days off during the week.... we're not worked to the bone. We have class a couple of hours a day and that's it. So we're not exhausted all the time... I find it makes studying much more efficient. We have fewer tests throughout the year; bad because it makes it easy to procrastinate, good because your not always on edge about the next test. You can study at your own pace. I'm sure as time goes on things will get more hectic.... but I like the fact that we're not thrown into things will full force. They're easing us into it.... gives us time to develop a routine/ study habits, etc.

As for the UK, yes you would be going to school "with a bunch of 19 year olds," and 17 & 18 year olds too!! I was worried about it at first.... mind you, I'm not 22 or 23....I'm 28. But the UK students seem to be wicked smart and believe it or not, they're not like the 18 year olds back home. The UK kids are raised differently and it shows. They're not out of control or disrespectful in class, they take things seriously, but not too seriously at the same time. They're pretty shy around us loudmouthed Americans, but once you get them talking, they loosen up. Unless you're living in the dorms, I don't think you would even notice their age. And the only reason I made the dorm comment, is because that's where I'm living (never lived in a dorm before), so I feel like a child whose tv was taken away. But whatever... we're all in the same boat, and I've realized that just because they're younger...by 11 years for me *sigh*.... you shouldn't write them off. I can still learn a lot from them.... and vice versa for that matter. As a side note... I think the age range of our class is 17 - 32.

Hope that answers your questions... keep 'em coming!

Did anyone else hear about interviews today??? Anyone going to New York City???

Best of Luck to all!!!! :oops:

Did anyone else hear about interviews today??? Anyone going to New York City???

Best of Luck to all!!!! :oops:

I did, I hope I can do it in NYC as well since I'll be coming from Toronto. I am sooo scared about interviews. Don't know how I will ever be able to answer all these hard questions. Where did you guys learn about these technical answers such as zoonotic diseases and such? From reading papers?

I was just wondering if you know about how many people the school interviews vs how many they intend to accept. I know there are schools out there that seem to interview everyone and their brother, and others that do very minimal interviewing.
I guess what I'm asking is, does getting an interview mean anything at this school? (I don't want to get too excited :p)

Thanks

I was just wondering if you know about how many people the school interviews vs how many they intend to accept. I know there are schools out there that seem to interview everyone and their brother, and others that do very minimal interviewing.
I guess what I'm asking is, does getting an interview mean anything at this school? (I don't want to get too excited :p)

Thanks

On our first day of orientation, the dean told us that there could be 5 other people who could be sitting where we were sitting. Basically, it seemed like the interviews were narrowed down to groups of 6 students, and one person out of that 6 got the seat in the class. Not sure if that's what he meant....but that's definitely how it came across.

Best advice I can give you is to just be yourself. Don't try to BS your way through answers. Good luck to all!!

I did, I hope I can do it in NYC as well since I'll be coming from Toronto. I am sooo scared about interviews. Don't know how I will ever be able to answer all these hard questions. Where did you guys learn about these technical answers such as zoonotic diseases and such? From reading papers?

While it's wise to read up on current issues relating to vet med (ie zoonotic disease outbreaks) You don't have to go out and start reading a whole mess of technical papers. They don't want studied answers. A lot of it is plain common sense. It seems like the just want to see if you're able to recognize your limitations. ie - if you don't know the answer, admit it - say you don't know but you know how to look it up in a book, etc. Whatever you put on your application is fair game....so definitely be sure that you're able to back that kind of stuff up. Why U. of Glasgow is another common question. Take a deep breath and relax....you'll do GREAT!! =)

I did, I hope I can do it in NYC as well since I'll be coming from Toronto. I am sooo scared about interviews.

Sorry I'm answering this so late...

hopefully it will calm your nerves some to know that my class is almost 50/50 when it comes to UK vs international students (those odds are pretty damn good :thumbup:). So just know that you got the interview for a reason....and ROCK IT!!! :D

Is anyone attending the SF interviews? And in general this will be your average interview that will focus on everything across the board not a behavioral interview like western, right? And in choosing the class was it mainly scholastic or an overall look at the individual and how weighty is the interview itself to their decision? Do they give you time to ask questions as well??
I'm sorry there are so many questions but I'm super nervous this is my second go around with vet apps and my first time applying to an international school and not too many people know about its ins and outs.

Hi PJLovin,
thanks so much for all the help and taking the time out of your busy sched to answer all these questions!!

I got into Edinburgh and visited there in october. The school was very nice and Scotland itself was beautiful. (Although I have to disagree that Edinburgh was like NYC! I live in New York, and Edinburgh seemed pretty small in comparison!) I didn't apply to Glasgow, although now I wish I did since it sounds so great!

I was wondering if you applied to RVC at all. That's where I really want to go, but I didn't know if their interview process is very similar to Glasgow's or not. From what you described and what I've heard thus far, it does sound similar (one person asking the hard questions)...but perhaps you could shed some more light on it. I am worried about the whole "5 other people might be sitting here" thing, but I also thought that they do accept a lot of their US interviewees, since many of them end up choosing a state school instead. I read on some other post that RVC interviewed 150 US students for 60 spots (but I figure they must accept at least 100 of those students since they will likely lose many to another school). Do you think that's true?

Is anyone attending the SF interviews? And in general this will be your average interview that will focus on everything across the board not a behavioral interview like western, right? And in choosing the class was it mainly scholastic or an overall look at the individual and how weighty is the interview itself to their decision? Do they give you time to ask questions as well??
I'm sorry there are so many questions but I'm super nervous this is my second go around with vet apps and my first time applying to an international school and not too many people know about its ins and outs.

Emy - The interview I had with Glasgow was based across the board....not solely-behavioral. I believe they choose people who are well-rounded; they don't choose people based solely on academics. I'm not sure how much weight they put on the interview....I just know that it's best to be yourself. They don't want someone who tries to BS their way through. If you don't know, say you don't know....be logical in your responses. Have an explanation for any hiccups in your record/background, but try not to give a rehearsed speech. Yes, they ask if you have any questions at the end of the interview.

The staff at glasgow truly want their students to succeed. They are unbelievably friendly and will almost always go the extra mile to help you. My interviewers were very laid back. Not everyone in my class had the same interviewers.... but the majority said it was a pleasant experience. I'm been told by some that they were even cracking jokes with the applicants. So try not to stress, be sincere and honest and you'll be fine.

Keep 'em coming! :D

I was wondering if you applied to RVC at all. That's where I really want to go, but I didn't know if their interview process is very similar to Glasgow's or not. From what you described and what I've heard thus far, it does sound similar (one person asking the hard questions)...but perhaps you could shed some more light on it. I am worried about the whole "5 other people might be sitting here" thing, but I also thought that they do accept a lot of their US interviewees, since many of them end up choosing a state school instead. I read on some other post that RVC interviewed 150 US students for 60 spots (but I figure they must accept at least 100 of those students since they will likely lose many to another school). Do you think that's true?

I did not apply to RVC. I chose Glasgow over Edinburgh and RVC simply because it would be cheaper tuition and living costs (as a side note - most people seemed to be concerned with the cost of international schools.... with the currency exchange being at the rate it's at now, tuition is down to $24K/year, which is ~ $12K cheaper/year than when I started in Sept....and MUCH cheaper than any OOS state school I could have gone to!! =D We're all so excited when we see the rate drop right around time for our loan cheques to arrive, haha) Anywho, I digress...

I asked a classmate of mine what she thought about your response.... she thinks she remembers being told during her interview that they interview about 120 and accept about 70.....emphasis on the "she thinks" part. Either way, they may change things up every year. There's a rumor that they did away with their letting students skip first year too. My friend also said that the class ratio of international to UK is more like 40/60. (i think i wrote almost 50/50 before) When the dean said the "5 other people could be sitting where you are", perhaps that takes into account International (ie USA) AND UK students (as I don't know how many UK students are interviewed/year). Don't take my word for it when it comes to the numbers... it may be best to just email the school. Like I said, everyone is really helpful here!!

Off to study... :oops:

thank you pjlovin-
I guess my largest worry is the random questions they seem to give as i saw from the interview feedback, how harsh was that? and i also saw that one feedback was a group interview was that how it was for you?

Hi!!
This was my first time applying to vet school, and Glasgow was my first interview ever!! I was super nervous (I decided to go visit last week :) ) and had my interview there. I met with Joyce and one of the professors, and had no idea what to expect..(aside from all the students I met who told me not to worry, they just want a conversation). It was so true! They made me feel comfortable immediately and asked questions mostly about my application/ experience and why I want to go to Glasgow. And then a few hours later, I returned to my friends' flat to find an acceptance e-mail!! Don't be nervous!! I promise they are super nice!! And if you have any questions about what they asked me more specifically, feel free to message me!! :)

thank you pjlovin-
I guess my largest worry is the random questions they seem to give as i saw from the interview feedback, how harsh was that? and i also saw that one feedback was a group interview was that how it was for you?

I was worried about possible random questions too...I read that someone actually got asked "why do americans like to shoot their president?" Of all the things you can ask, :laugh:. Thinking about it now.... I can't even imagine them asking that... they're too nice to ask such a ridiculous question, haha. I wouldn't say any of my questions were hard/random, but some kept me on my toes. Do your research on the university; don't apply just to apply - have a legitimate reason for wanting to come here. "Why Glasgow?" is not an uncommon interview question!! Just like Shortnsweet said..... it's more of a conversation with them, not an interview. And in my case, it was not a group interview... 2 interviewers only, open file.

Hi!!
This was my first time applying to vet school, and Glasgow was my first interview ever!! I was super nervous (I decided to go visit last week :) ) and had my interview there. I met with Joyce and one of the professors, and had no idea what to expect..(aside from all the students I met who told me not to worry, they just want a conversation). It was so true! They made me feel comfortable immediately and asked questions mostly about my application/ experience and why I want to go to Glasgow. And then a few hours later, I returned to my friends' flat to find an acceptance e-mail!! Don't be nervous!! I promise they are super nice!! And if you have any questions about what they asked me more specifically, feel free to message me!! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! :thumbup:

Joyce is fantastic!! She interviewed me as well. :)

I just registered at SDN today and I'm very excited about my interview in Feb! I was wondering if you guys know where I can find more information about diseases or other info related to veterinary medicine relevant to England/Scotland..

Thank you to everyone for their feedback!
I guess right now i'm trying hard not to psych myself out. And as far as researching would it be more beneficial to find things that link me and the school together like research in epidemiology and how that relates to my experiences?? and not worry so much of other random factoids?

Thank you to everyone for their feedback!
I guess right now i'm trying hard not to psych myself out. And as far as researching would it be more beneficial to find things that link me and the school together like research in epidemiology and how that relates to my experiences?? and not worry so much of other random factoids?

My best advice for you would be to relax and be yourself!! They want to get to know you...and no one knows you better than yourself!!! I frantically flipped through news articles about the laws in the UK and zoonoses etc., and didn't get asked a single question outside of my application. Joyce made it feel like she wanted to see if Glasgow is the right fit for you. She and my interviewer basically asked about my experience with vets, why I prefer equine over small, and why I didn't apply to schools in Australia where I studied abroad and if that's too far for 5 years, is Glasgow?? They even told me funny stories from their own experiences that related to mine to relax the room!! I also looked up research being conducted at Glasgow, and think I slipped it in somewhere, but they never directly asked me about it. They gave me as much time as I wanted to ask questions, and always answered honestly and completely. Know what you said on your application, be able to back it up, and you shall be fine!! Good luck!!! ;)

Congrats on the interview! I wouldn't go crazy on the research, but you can try some of these:

http://www.bva.co.uk/
http://www.vets.tv/
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/vetsurveillance/index.htm

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the info PJlovin! I just can't wait for my interview! I feel like glasgow is one of the few schools that know how to look beyond the standard things like gpa or gre cuts.. I fell as if they can see the potential in students from their application..:)

Hi PJlovin, It's me again:) I was exploring Glasgow's website and I found out that U of Glasgow is No.1 in Scotland and joint top in UK in research. When I saw it I got very excited and I read about all the research projects but I couldn't find whether there is a research opportunity for undergraduate vets or it is only for postgraduates.. I know there are weekly seminars that the students can attend but I would love to be a part of one of those projects..(if I get in of course..) ;) Do you have any info about this?

Hi again! I definitely know Glasgow is big on research... across the board. I often (as I'm sure all the students) get email invites for the research seminars. As far as working as an undergrad... don't know much about it. I'm sorry. I will say that the staff here really like to see the students get involved, and are genuinely interested in helping you achieve your goals. With that, I assume that if you were to email some of the professors about possible positions in their research labs, you would receive a warm response in return. But like I said before, I don't know much about it. Would probably be a good question to ask at the end of your interview! ;)

Hello, I'm just curious what your schedule is like. I know you mentioned having time off, and also not having classes all day. I've found that many schools in the U.S. have classes from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It seems that you are in class less time, so do you feel that you are still learning as much as you would be learning in the U.S.?

Also, does Glasgow have terminal surgeries? Thanks!

thanks for everyone's feedback! I had my interview yesterday and i got an informal invitation last night! :DI'm incredibly excited and i guess now is what was the deciding factor for you pjlovin that made you want to go to glasgow?

congrats emy!! maybe we'll be classmates!! :)

I'm debating between Dublin and Glasgow...so i'm not 100% yet

Hello, I'm just curious what your schedule is like. I know you mentioned having time off, and also not having classes all day. I've found that many schools in the U.S. have classes from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It seems that you are in class less time, so do you feel that you are still learning as much as you would be learning in the U.S.?

Also, does Glasgow have terminal surgeries? Thanks!

Hiya!

Our schedules are pretty laid back (compared to the schedules of some of my friends in state schools). In first year, we definitely do not have class everyday from 8 - 5! The school year is broken up into 3 terms (total year from sept to may) For first term, mon & tues classes were from 9-12 and 245-5; Wednesdays 10-12; thurs 9-10, 11-1; and fridays 9-10 lecture, 1030-1230 lab, 130-230 lecture, and 230-500 lab (so pretty much all day on fridays). This is a rough estimate though because the schedule changes on certain weeks for different things...so this schedule is an average for the first term. We have days off and our professors definitely like their tea breaks!

2nd term has been a bit busier... but we have time slots that are blocked off on certain days - designated "self-study". Basically, it's time set aside to work on your year assignment (essay and group presentation). Some days we're at the farm all day long looking at animals. So the schedule definitely changes, but we're still not in class all day long! Conclusion - we have a lot of free study time...should you choose to use the time wisely! ;)

To me... it seems like the school eases you into the busy/hectic life style of a grad student. I'm definitely happy with the ways things are done here. As far as what I feel about what we're learning compared to US students... I feel this first year is a review from undergrad... a VERY detailed review...so we may be slightly behind when it comes to that (albeit I'm not entirely sure what the US students are learning right now); but I also feel we're learning more practical/clinical type skills than US students generally learn in first year. I mean, we were looking at animals in week 2!

As for the terminal surgeries... don't think we have those at Glasgow, but I'll have to double check that for you.

Hope that helps! :)

what was the deciding factor for you pjlovin that made you want to go to glasgow?

First... CONGRATS on the acceptance!!!:thumbup:

One of the main reasons I chose Glasgow is because of their accreditation status. They're accredited to 3 different standards - British, American, and European. So basically, when I graduate, I can work pretty much anywhere in the world without having to take extra exams (i.e. i can save lots-o-money). This is good for me because I don't know where I want to live in the future; also, seeing as I'm leaning towards wildlife medicine... I'm predicting that I will be traveling a lot for my career... going to Glasgow is just going to make it that much easier for me to do so.

The 2nd reason I chose Glasgow.... I wanted the "cultural" experience. One of my life goals was to live in Europe for at least 3 years....
If I went to a state school, the majority of the students in my class would be from that state. At Glasgow, I've met people from all around the world. The class ratio is about 60:40, UK:international... it's been a great learning experience getting to know my classmates and their traditions. I just feel like having this experience is going to make me a more well-rounded individual.

and 3rd.... I'm really into the EMS requirements (although all the UK schools have this). I think it's a great opportunity to help students find their niche in a career as diverse as vet med.

If you have anymore questions... don't hesitate! :)

I'm definitely taking those into consideration and they are all pluses to the program hands down but another concern is the BVMS degree. I'm confused that it is considered a bachelor's degree versus a professional doctorate degree. How does this change things? Is it just a name thing? Will it effect me?

I have my interview on Monday!! Any last minute suggestions?

No, emy, the BVMS thing will not effect you. It IS just a name thing. DVM=VMD=BVMS=BVSc=BVM&S (Edinburgh still has the & sign)=BVetMed (RVC)...am I missing any? They're all equivalent degrees and you are eligible to sit the NAVLE just like any North American student.

I'm definitely taking those into consideration and they are all pluses to the program hands down but another concern is the BVMS degree. I'm confused that it is considered a bachelor's degree versus a professional doctorate degree. How does this change things? Is it just a name thing? Will it effect me?

The only effect it would have is if you chose to work in the UK after graduation. From my knowledge, you would not be referred to as "Doctor" here.... for whatever the reason (I believe only Medical Doctors are called such).

Other than that, no change. It's considered a graduate program back in the states and people will know that. I filed for US loans as if it were a graduate program... not undergrad just because the UK considers it to be so. I'm not worried about it, none of my classmates are worried about it... :)

Hi PJlovin. Thanks for answering all these questions! I interviewed at Glasgow in December and have been waitlisted. Do you know anything about the odds of being accepted from a waitlist? In the letter they don't say anything about rank - just that they will contact me in May with an answer. I have no idea what to expect. Any thoughts?

Hi PJlovin. Thanks for answering all these questions! I interviewed at Glasgow in December and have been waitlisted. Do you know anything about the odds of being accepted from a waitlist? In the letter they don't say anything about rank - just that they will contact me in May with an answer. I have no idea what to expect. Any thoughts?

Hi Youki - No, I don't have any info on their waitlist process. If this year's interview dates are anything like last year's, then they are probably still in the interviewing stage (last year's interviews went up to the middle of Feb)..... so it might be a couple of weeks for any info from them. Sorry I don't have better news for you... good luck!!!