Glasgow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you can be called "Dr." in the states because it's considered a doctored grad program there; but it's really not something I'm concerned with so I never did research on it. You may want to send an email to AVMA and ask them what the deal is regarding that. I definitely know that Vet's are NOT called Doctors in the UK.

The last time I saw anything about Glasgow's NAVLE pass rate, I think I remember it being 80-somthing percent. It is on their website, just can't remember where I saw it. Joyce Wason would probably know the answer to that one. :)

When i passed the NAVLE in april - the envelope said "Dr" - didnt even need to open it then!! Yes, apparently you are entitled to be called Dr - even though technically you havent done a DVM. i guess its because you have passed the same exam as DVM students.
For the record I just graduated from Dublin, if its horses you are into Dublin as 5 fantastic equine surgeons/meds - all did residencies in the States. And they are all very very sound as well - some of them even join us at our house parties!!
Glasgow does have at least one excellent equine surgeon - Paddy Pollock - and quite a number of my friends have done clinical EMS at Glasgow uni and really enjoyed it.
As for a BVM or MVB not being seen as equal with DVM in the US - the 6 people who applied for equine internships in the US this year got them - including in KY, UCDavis and NY and the only 2 to apply for SA/Exotic internships also got their places. Infact, I do know that if you are interested in KY internships, they take on Irish graduates every year (and I believe a Glasgow grad last yr) - in fact 3 Irish students (2 who have passed the NAVLEs) start there on Monday.
As for EMS - you should be able to do most of it in the States if you plan on goinghome for the summers.:laugh:

best of luck with Glasgow - i believe its really good, I have a number of friends there.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, all of the LA stuff sounds like a plus to me, and shortnsweet, your GPA stats are similar to mine (slightly higher), so I feel better about applying to British schools. I was a little worried by seeing a 3.4 minimum for GPA somewhere (it might have been VMSAR), so I'm glad that's clearly not a hard and fast rule! I'm very worried about getting into VA-MD, which is my home state as well. You also have a very cute horse!

You can and will be referred to as Dr. ___ when/if you return to the states. The programs in the UK and Ireland cover all the same material that vet schools here do and are equivalent degrees. They just have a different name for it than DVM (as is the case with many words there!). For example, when you need to see a doctor, you go to a "Surgery" even if you're not getting surgery. Different vocabulary is all it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the muddle of all of this UK banking and setting up a new account to have debits taken from when bills come in. I also am trying to get around that humongous wiring fee for family members trying to transfer money to me. Can anyone clear things up for me?

I am still learning and researching all this stuff myself, but after looking around a bit I think that the "Passport Account" offered by HSBC is decent. It says they have low cost wire transfers for foreign currency and the monthly fee is 6 pounds, which seemed to be the norm for most of the UK Banks...I think Lloyds TSB charges 7 pounds.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/current-accounts/passport

btw, if you do decide to go with this one, let me know because we would each get 10 pounds for recommending a friend! ;)

Last edited:
Wow, all of the LA stuff sounds like a plus to me, and shortnsweet, your GPA stats are similar to mine (slightly higher), so I feel better about applying to British schools. I was a little worried by seeing a 3.4 minimum for GPA somewhere (it might have been VMSAR), so I'm glad that's clearly not a hard and fast rule! I'm very worried about getting into VA-MD, which is my home state as well. You also have a very cute horse!

They really do look at the whole package...not just your stats...and the Glasgow website says they want a 3.0 GPA minimum...I believe RVC and Edinburgh are slightly higher..but don't quote me on that. To be honest, I was a little upset VA-MD didn't even offer me an interview..or any of the state schools for that matter...I felt like I didn't get a fair chance to prove myself, but now that I am going to Glasgow, I feel much better about everything. It took me some time, but I think Glasgow is a good place for me, and will give me everything I need. If there comes a point in the first year that I feel otherwise, I may reapply to a few US schools and see what happens.

And thank you!! His name is Sam I Am :)

So I JUST got the survey and JUST sent it in. I hope there is a big vet for me out there somewhere..... sigh.

Is it September yet?!

I am still learning and researching all this stuff myself, but after looking around a bit I think that the "Passport Account" offered by HSBC is decent. It says they have low cost wire transfers for foreign currency and the monthly fee is 6 pounds, which seemed to be the norm for most of the UK Banks...I think Lloyds TSB charges 7 pounds.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/current-accounts/passport

btw, if you do decide to go with this one, let me know because we would each get 10 pounds for recommending a friend! ;)

I never understood why some of the banks charge you like that!!
I have my account with Lloyd's - it's free...no monthly charges. I have friends at Bank of Scotland... they've had problems cashing cheques (1 friend was considered a drug dealer because she brought in her loan cheque - depsite the fact that it said u of glasgow on the front! lol) they also had problems getting debit cards (took a while) and cheque books (took a really long time), but I assume they are happy with them now cause they stuck with them. I've never had a problem with Lloyd's. Some people I know are with Clydesdale Bank - some are happy with them, others not (mostly because of debit card situations). And I know one person who's with Barclay's.
Just read the fine print, there's a couple that will not open accounts for international students.
Interesting side note - NEVER forget your pin #! The ATMs here are notorious for swallowing cards if you don't remember your pin #. And if you are one of those people who sign the back of your cards with "ASK FOR I.D." (instead of actually signing it) some stores won't take it, some will cut it up in front of you.
Final bit of advice - make an appt with the bank of your choice right when you get into Glasgow. You can't just walk in and get a bank account the same day. As a lot of new students are in town at that time, if you wait until the last minute, it might be a while until you get an appt.
Happy hunting! :)

So I JUST got the survey and JUST sent it in. I hope there is a big vet for me out there somewhere..... sigh.

Is it September yet?!

I'm sure there is... I filled out the survey late too and therefore haven't been given a little vet yet. :( They sent us that survey right in the middle of studying for finals... so I'm sure there are plenty of Big Vets for you! :)

PJ, do you have a "Classic Account" with Lloyd's? It looks like that one is free of charge...I don't know which one I was looking at that had a 7 pound charge per month. What documents did you have to bring to set it up?

I thought I might just use HSBC to start with because they make it really easy to set it up. You just apply online, and then when you get there go in with your driver's license and passport and they'll open it for you. Of course, this is only for the Passport account (which is designed for international students). But it is annoying to have to pay 6 pounds per month.

I did get a big vet the very next morning, after work today I am going to email her. Not going to lie, I am pretty excited. :D

Llyod's? free, as in no monthly charges? And you like it? I will definitely look into that! The wiring fees are outrageous and I don't want to go around asking for hassles with fine print. Do you have a link to their website? Or any information at all about it becaues this banking issue is up at the top of my pre-vet school summer stresses.

Also, any information on international package shipping? Like if (I should say WHEN) I forget something in the states, or care packages/medications/anything from home. I can only find averages based on weigh via fedex or ups - suuuuper expensive. Anyone out there get around this?

PJ, do you have a "Classic Account" with Lloyd's? It looks like that one is free of charge...I don't know which one I was looking at that had a 7 pound charge per month. What documents did you have to bring to set it up?

I thought I might just use HSBC to start with because they make it really easy to set it up. You just apply online, and then when you get there go in with your driver's license and passport and they'll open it for you. Of course, this is only for the Passport account (which is designed for international students). But it is annoying to have to pay 6 pounds per month.

Yes, I have a Classic current account with Lloyd's. I also opened up an Easy Saver account with them when the currency exchange rate was really low - I had US money wired over so I could get the most out of the low rate. =)

I know you need your passport. I think you also need a letter from the school. You need to tell the school which bank you are going with and which branch (byres rd. branches are common among students because it's right by the main uni) and they will write a letter showing that you're a student. I don't know about the driver's license thing. I don't think I gave them mine.

I had every intention of starting an account with HSBC before I moved for the same reasons you stated, but again, I just find it ridiculous to get charged a monthly fee. It's a personal choice, really, but for me, my money is only put into accounts where I can make money, not lose it.

I did get a big vet the very next morning, after work today I am going to email her. Not going to lie, I am pretty excited. :D

Llyod's? free, as in no monthly charges? And you like it? I will definitely look into that! The wiring fees are outrageous and I don't want to go around asking for hassles with fine print. Do you have a link to their website? Or any information at all about it becaues this banking issue is up at the top of my pre-vet school summer stresses.

Also, any information on international package shipping? Like if (I should say WHEN) I forget something in the states, or care packages/medications/anything from home. I can only find averages based on weigh via fedex or ups - suuuuper expensive. Anyone out there get around this?

First, you SHOULD be excited... I'd be worried if you weren't!! lol

Second, www.lloydstsb.com, but take your time and do the research. Find the best interests rates, if you're allowed debit cards/cheque books, or even overdraft (which can be important if your loan is late to arrive). When I first came here, Nationwide did NOT open accounts for international students... so you can probably skip the research on that one.

3 - as far as International shipping, at first (and anytime you go back to the states) your best bet is to go over the luggage limit in number or weight at the airport. It's always going to be cheaper taking an extra 50# bag versus shipping a small box. When you're there, have your parents look into the flat rate shipping boxes at the post office. You can pack them to their fullest, and no matter the weight, it's a flat rate. That's what my parents started using. When I go home, I stuff a big duffle bag into one of my suitcases, so that way I only have 2 bags on the way to the states, but 3 when I go back to the UK. :D

Does Glasgow accept transfer students? I completed 2 year of my vet studies out of 5 year. I am currently doing 3rd year. Glasgow vet is 5 year undergrad rite?

Whats the international tuition fees like? And ideally how much do you need for living expenses?

Does Glasgow accept transfer students? I completed 2 year of my vet studies out of 5 year. I am currently doing 3rd year. Glasgow vet is 5 year undergrad rite?

Whats the international tuition fees like? And ideally how much do you need for living expenses?

I'd email the school about transfering. Don't have any info to give you on that. When I started in '08, tuition was 17,500 pounds...but I think it's at 18,000 pounds for the incoming class (~ $29,600). But yes, Glasgow is a 5-year undergrad course.

Living expenses range, I can't give you an exact number, but I can tell you what I've been paying. Depending on the type of housing you're in - Flats or studios start at around 250 ppm (pounds per month), average around 550ppm, while some surpass 1500 ppm. I'm paying 565 ppm for a top floor 2 bed/ 2 bath flat. Bottom floors are cheaper... but I'm able to snag the heat off all the people below me, so I think it works out in the end. :D I just moved in, but the utility company said I should expect to pay around 30 ppm for gas and electric (students are exempt from council tax, therefore water is free) Books can add up if you buy them new... but most of the upper years sell theirs through the university webmail all throughout the year... definite bargains! Food - depends where you shop and how often... I never keep track of expenses for that, sorry I can't help you there. Health care - free for students. If you own a tv - you need to buy a tv licence... I think that was around 200-something for the entire year. If you have a car, gas is pretty expensive... but it's like that everywhere. My cell phone is on a pay-as-you-go plan. And my bus pass cost me around 80 pounds for 3 months.

Then there's always the extra expenses of going out to pubs, school events, traveling, etc.

Hope that gives you a rough idea. It was hard to figure out the amount I needed because the currency exchange always fluctuates. I mean, when I moved to Glasgow it was 1 pound = 2.17 USD. So my loans were through the roof. But throughout the year, the rate dropped all the way down to 1 pound = 1.33 USD. So I ended up with a lot of money left over, which I was going to send back to the loan companies....BUT as an international student, when you go to rent a flat, SOME landlords will make you pay 6 months up front (since you don't have any credit, nor a job, etc). So I was lucky I did take out more money than I really needed in the beginning cause I definitely needed it in the end!

Hey all.

I just finished my first year at glasgow (hey there kellie!) and my flat (aka apartment) from this past year is up for grabs.

It's a great place. owned by a vet who graduated in '07. 2 bedroom flat. all utilities included and it has a washer, dryer, dishwasher, wireless internet, and cable tv. landlord is super easygoing, makes it real easy to live there, and he (along with myself and the two vets who lived there before me) would really like to keep it in the glasgow vet family... so if you're still looking for housing, then you should definitely think about it. the only reason i'm moving out is because i decided to live with a bigger group of people this year.

email me at [email protected] if you're interested and i can send you pictures and more info and the contact for the landlord.

see you all in september!

cheers,

Sarah

Hey all.

I just finished my first year at glasgow (hey there kellie!) and my flat (aka apartment) from this past year is up for grabs.

It's a great place. owned by a vet who graduated in '07. 2 bedroom flat. all utilities included and it has a washer, dryer, dishwasher, wireless internet, and cable tv. landlord is super easygoing, makes it real easy to live there, and he (along with myself and the two vets who lived there before me) would really like to keep it in the glasgow vet family... so if you're still looking for housing, then you should definitely think about it. the only reason i'm moving out is because i decided to live with a bigger group of people this year.

email me at [email protected] if you're interested and i can send you pictures and more info and the contact for the landlord.

see you all in september!

cheers,

Sarah

Hehe...bigger group of people...Why HELLO roomie!!! :)

and might I add...this flat that sarah speaks of...is pretty excellent and you have a very pretty walk to get to school every day :)