Go to Tufts or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted543300

I have already put both of my deposits down at Tufts, but I am having second thoughts about spending that much money to go to school. After looking over the numbers, I am fairly confident that with tuition increases, I will have to take out about 420k according to the estimated cost of attendance...this just seems like an insurmountable amount of debt to be able to pay off.

Of course, I have looked into other ways for financing school, as I plan on applying to NHSC this cycle and HPSP for both army and air force for the next cycle, but what if I don't get either of these scholarships? I am not sure that I am willing to take out over 400k in loans...is it not worth the risk? Should I just defer and reapply again next cycle? Is this a dumb thing to do? I know the application cycle is a gamble, just looking for thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Where else did you get accepted? Or was this your only option? Is your application strong? Has anything about your application changed since last cycle? Or perhaps you'd be applying earlier this time? I think you know what I'm saying. It's a gamble for even the best of applicants to not take an acceptance and apply again. But I'm sure people do it and it works out for them. It is indeed a lot of money. But, if you're an average applicant with one acceptance and nothing more to offer to your application this round, you're more likely to come up empty-handed this time. I don't know how it's worded on the application, but I believe acceptance has to be disclosed.

Apply to HPSP now, a 3 year scholarship or sometimes they retroactively pay for all 4 years if you get selected in the fall. I'd go, still.

Members don't see this ad :)
go big or go home.

i agree with dantemac, apply for the hpsp now. i'm almost certain that you won't get the 4 year for the army at this point, however, if you get on the wait list you'll have a better chance at getting the 3 year (as opposed to applying for the 3 year next year).

go big or go home.

i agree with dantemac, apply for the hpsp now. i'm almost certain that you won't get the 4 year for the army at this point, however, if you get on the wait list you'll have a better chance at getting the 3 year (as opposed to applying for the 3 year next year).
I'm in a similar situation as OP regarding NYU. I've made the decision to go since my GPA was already on the low end and it dropped this fall/spring.

Anyway, I'm considering the 3 year HPSP. Only thing I'm worried about is trying to pay loans from D1 off on the military salary you get after graduation. From what I've read, you make around 70k and it doesn't seem reasonable to be paying off 100k+interest on that salary.

Where else did you get accepted? Or was this your only option? Is your application strong? Has anything about your application changed since last cycle? Or perhaps you'd be applying earlier this time? I think you know what I'm saying. It's a gamble for even the best of applicants to not take an acceptance and apply again. But I'm sure people do it and it works out for them. It is indeed a lot of money. But, if you're an average applicant with one acceptance and nothing more to offer to your application this round, you're more likely to come up empty-handed this time. I don't know how it's worded on the application, but I believe acceptance has to be disclosed.
I think my application has improved from the last time around, I now have a 3.5 GPA and a 22AA. The first time I applied, I didn't submit my app until September. I have pretty strong ECs and shadowing, but I don't really want to have to go through the entire application cycle again. Tufts is my only acceptance for this cycle...I loved the school actually, just hate the cost.

I have pretty much only been a student my entire life, I don't really know how I would like taking a year off before dental school...should I just attend this fall and hope that I will get a scholarship?

I think my application has improved from the last time around, I now have a 3.5 GPA and a 22AA. The first time I applied, I didn't submit my app until September. I have pretty strong ECs and shadowing, but I don't really want to have to go through the entire application cycle again. Tufts is my only acceptance for this cycle...I loved the school actually, just hate the cost.

I have pretty much only been a student my entire life, I don't really know how I would like taking a year off before dental school...should I just attend this fall and hope that I will get a scholarship?

I think you will be able to get HPSP, and I would apply navy/AF before army. And then you will get at least three years of tuition covered. Tufts is an amazing school, great facilities, in BOSTON, great board scores, and grads have top notch clinical skills. You would be crazy to not go and take a gap year!! Think that will be a year lost of earning potential...which is hmm atleast 150k. You think of that?? GO TO TUFTS!! LOL

you know what else could pay off your loans?

being a dentist

I think you will be able to get HPSP, and I would apply navy/AF before army. And then you will get at least three years of tuition covered. Tufts is an amazing school, great facilities, in BOSTON, great board scores, and grads have top notch clinical skills. You would be crazy to not go and take a gap year!! Think that will be a year lost of earning potential...which is hmm atleast 150k. You think of that?? GO TO TUFTS!! LOL

3 year scholarships are tough to get because they're given to 4 year scholarship waitlist applicants. it would be the easiest to get the army 3 year out of the branches since they have the most spots

Go to Tufts. Apply for HPSP, you can also transfer out after your 1st year if you do well as a D1. I know 2 people who left expensive private schools and transferred to their state schools after a year to save some coin. That's far more practical than messing with taking a year off and re-applying.

I have already put both of my deposits down at Tufts, but I am having second thoughts about spending that much money to go to school. After looking over the numbers, I am fairly confident that with tuition increases, I will have to take out about 420k according to the estimated cost of attendance...this just seems like an insurmountable amount of debt to be able to pay off.

Of course, I have looked into other ways for financing school, as I plan on applying to NHSC this cycle and HPSP for both army and air force for the next cycle, but what if I don't get either of these scholarships? I am not sure that I am willing to take out over 400k in loans...is it not worth the risk? Should I just defer and reapply again next cycle? Is this a dumb thing to do? I know the application cycle is a gamble, just looking for thoughts. Thanks in advance!

-There was a guy here on SDN who got into NYU dent this year and didn't go because of cost. He is moving to Texas to live with his GF, get instate residency, and apply there.

-By the time you graduate, your debt will be ~500K. Consider that if you want to specialize, you may have to pay an extra 100K. That would put you between 6-700K of debt.

http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/...ormationcost-of-attendance/cost-of-education/

To add insult to injury:
"Students should anticipate a 4-6% increase in tuition in fees each year."

Last edited:
There is always something called HPSP if cost is your biggest concern.

IMO it's best to go to Tufts. There are some supplementary apps asking if you have been accepted to d-school and did you get kicked out or not attend. At this point, cost of attendance is very poor answer to convince other schools that you won't do the samehemto t or leave them with a question why did you apply in the first place.

Congrats tho. Many of us wish we were accepted somewhere.