TBCC

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Post Doc
I was wondering if anyone has tried to get a job by just showing up at dental offices and asking if they are hiring. I work part-time and wanted to add a day or two at another office but haven't had much luck with answering craigslist or other internet ads. I live in so. Cal. My boss has told me that he has hired dentists who just show up asking for a job. He's pretty open-minded though so I'm wondering whether anyone has tried this with success. Or if you have a practice, would you hire like that? Just thinking of ways to increase chances of getting 2nd job.

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
i think it's a better and more efficient idea to call first to see if they're hiring. sucks to be in southern cali right now..

Aug 14, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering if anyone has tried to get a job by just showing up at dental offices and asking if they are hiring. I work part-time and wanted to add a day or two at another office but haven't had much luck with answering craigslist or other internet ads. I live in so. Cal. My boss has told me that he has hired dentists who just show up asking for a job. He's pretty open-minded though so I'm wondering whether anyone has tried this with success. Or if you have a practice, would you hire like that? Just thinking of ways to increase chances of getting 2nd job.

I did just that and it worked great!!! I went into an office that I noticed was heavily advertised on TV, so I figured they had lots of pts. They were in the process of starting to advertise for a new dr. (they hadn't even began) so I was there at the right place at the right time!. Good luck!

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
Why does it suck being in Cali?

Just wondering
because of an insane over-saturation of dentists working there. the reason is because they made it too easy for anybody to come work there (like yourself); and they even now accept a mexican dental school... i was thinking about moving there after residency, but after speaking to some dentist friends who are working as hygiensts (and having a hard time at that) i decided to stay put

Jan 13, 2010
Status
Dental Student
because of an insane over-saturation of dentists working there. the reason is because they made it too easy for anybody to come work there (like yourself); and they even now accept a mexican dental school... i was thinking about moving there after residency, but after speaking to some dentist friends who are working as hygiensts (and having a hard time at that) i decided to stay put
I grew up in So. Cal. and one can't swing a dead cat without hitting a strip-mall with 2+ dental offices. There are some low per-capita spots but they are in No. Cal in the boonies (there are also some spots over by Nevada/Az borders). Here is a paper by UCLA about dent-pops in CA. View attachment CA_Dentists_FS_061609.pdf