Going to Bryn Mawr too? ( :

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marygwendelyn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'll be going up to Bryn Mawr this summer and I was just curious to see if there are any other SDNers who will be attending Bryn Mawr this summer or Fall. Anyone out there? ( : And what about housing? Have you figured out where you are going to live? On/off campus? House/apt? Near campus/main line?
Okay, hope to hear from someone! Send me a PM if you prefer.

Best of luck to all you LOVELY people on SDN! ( : ( : ( :

-marygwendelyn

Members don't see this ad.

oui for Bryn Mawr. Anyone else?

marygwendelyn said:
Hello Everyone!

I'll be going up to Bryn Mawr this summer and I was just curious to see if there are any other SDNers who will be attending Bryn Mawr this summer or Fall. Anyone out there? ( : And what about housing? Have you figured out where you are going to live? On/off campus? House/apt? Near campus/main line?

-marygwendelyn

hey there,

i'll be going to bryn mawr this may. i'm excited!

as to your question on housing, i am trying to figure it out but the last couple days have been a little busy. i am going to do off-campus i think but want to find something right near the campus. but let me know if you are having any luck looking yourself and if you have any advice on the best places to look to find a place!

see ya soon!
michael

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Michael,

Great to hear from you! ( :

I haven't begun looking for housing yet, but I too am planning to live off campus in a nearby flat or home. If I find out anything that might seem helpful, I'll happily PM you with that information.

I imagine that the post-bac housing forum will be a big help, once it is up and running again. ( :

Well, good luck with the house hunt! See ya soon.

best,

you guys are all sooo lucky! congratulations--drs. to be!!

welcome, Chigga Trigga :)

chigga_trigga said:
hey everyone,

just thought i'd add my name to the list!!!

One more! YAY! ( : Welcome Chigga Trigga! ( : ( :

Anyone else? ( :

chigga_trigga said:
hey everyone,

just thought i'd add my name to the list!!!

Hey there!

I'll see you guys up at BM this summer!!

Cheers,
pattie

(If you have read my post on the Goucher thread, I'll save you the trouble, this is the same post...)

I realize this is a bit of a cliché on this board, but I am trying to decide between going to Bryn Mawr and Goucher. I apologize if you are sick of seeing this comparison.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer, but I am trying to figure out which is the best fit. The programs are incredibly similar, though I think there are a couple of small differences:

Bryn Mawr:
1. Slight edge on reputation?
2. Better college amenities (the Gym, for example)
3. Nicer neighborhood

Goucher
1. More manageable class size (I prefer smaller classes)
2. Possibility for better teacher Recs?
3. Less expensive cost of living.

Both seem solid on volunteer opportunities and glide year possibilities. Both sets of advisors seem to be good.

The fact that Bryn Mawr has a curve while Goucher does not is a wildcard. Not sure what to make of it.

Again, I realize this comparison has been done a number of times, but I feel like most threads end in people choosing based on geography or saying it’s a push. I am still struggling with it….

If anyone wants to share their though process with me, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks very much! :)

I'll be there as well, starting 2nd summer session :)

Congratulations all! I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Also, I'm from the area so feel free to PM me with any general questions about housing, etc.

hi everyone,
congrats to those who got into BM! :)

sorry to sounds like a broken record...but i am having some difficulty deciding between Bryn Mawr and Goucher. I am leaning toward Goucher based on the uniquely small class size. Though the website and the campus visit helped to clarify a lot of questions, I still wish that Goucher had provided a program overview the same way that Bryn Mawr did. Luckily, I know someone who is currently a student at Goucher so I was able to get a lot of advice that way.

Are there are future, current or past BM post-bacs who decided BM over Goucher?

here are the pros and cons I came up with:

Goucher:
:D PROS: :D
1) smaller class size
2) great profs (and little change in faculty)
3) awesome TA next year
4) post-bac classes are exclusive to post-bacs

:eek: CONS: :eek:
1) one TA for all the courses
2) gym facilities are not that impressive; hours are not flexible
3) terrible library hours
4) Dulaney Valley Apts are not that safe
5) hard to get to Baltimore without a car
6) no calc in the program (there is biochem but non-credit and not free)
7) road of death to contend with (Dulaney Valley Road) ;p

-----------------------------------------------------

Bryn Mawr
1) awesome director (organizes study breaks & seems genuinely warm)
2) can take calc and biochem at BM for FREE over the summer if enough students are interested
3) different TAs for different subjects and Peer led instructors
4) focus groups on diff. topics in medicine
5) more reasonable library hours
6) nice and safe town
7) easy access to public transportation
8) self-scheduled exams

1) mixed in with undergrads
2) professors don't seem consistent
3) expensive town to live in
4) curve grading system (not really sure if this is a blessing or a boon, but it think it is the latter)

Did anyone get to check out the student apartments at Bryn Mawr?
What made you guys decide BM? I would appreciate your thoughts. :)

take care,
rachel

FYI ( i attended BM as an undergraduate) and incase anyone is interested, the curve ALWAYS favors post-baccs... so, you shouldn't worry about that at all :oops:)

In regards to housing, try craigslist.com and search for philadelphia as the city. Then limit by ardmore, haverford, wynewood, bryn mawr. the housing may seem somewhat steep if youre doing it alone, but use this forum as a way to find other people relocating and get a roommate. not only will it be nice to have someone to help you through this new phase in your life, youll have a study buddy and someone to split the rent.

and jodi is an amazing woman. although she's the advisor for the post-baccs, she helped me when i knew as an undergraduate i wouldnt be ready to apply to medical school yet. she spends her life with non-traditional students and has maintained the standards of the premier post-bacc program in the country.

Bryn Mawr
1) awesome director (organizes study breaks & seems genuinely warm)
2) can take calc and biochem at BM for FREE over the summer if enough students are interested
3) different TAs for different subjects and Peer led instructors
4) focus groups on diff. topics in medicine
5) more reasonable library hours
6) nice and safe town
7) easy access to public transportation
8) self-scheduled exams

1) mixed in with undergrads
2) professors don't seem consistent
3) expensive town to live in
4) curve grading system (not really sure if this is a blessing or a boon, but it think it is the latter)

Probably headed up there in May. Just got accepted!

marygwendelyn said:
Hello Everyone!

-marygwendelyn

So if I have this worked out right, Bryn Mawr is the place for folks who have a decent GPA and none or few of the prereq's. U Penn is the place for GPA improvement?

So someone with most of the prereq's done who is on an upward trend with the GPA, but still needs some work should really not look at Bryn Mawr?

sunnyjohn said:
So if I have this worked out right, Bryn Mawr is the place for folks who have a decent GPA and none or few of the prereq's. U Penn is the place for GPA improvement?

So someone with most of the prereq's done who is on an upward trend with the GPA, but still needs some work should really not look at Bryn Mawr?

One again, having done the BMC program I can tell you that the curve greatly favors the Post-baccs. You are graded on the undergrad curve. These are girls/women, many who are freshman, who don't care about grades as much as you. Many will be taking 15-18 credits while you take 13. Some are just taking the classes to fulfill core requirements.

Just to dispell sanother issue: You are mixed in with undergrads in lab, but your lectures are special sections for the post-baccs. Undergrads may enroll if they wish, but they do at their own perill.

Ed

Hi Everyone! I am planning to start the BM program in May and am moving from CA... Is anyone still looking for housing? Anyone else moving out from the west?? I can't wait!

So i am heading down to interview at Bryn Mawr this Monday. Does anyone know what my chances of acceptance are once I've been offered an interview?

For those of you headed to BM, anyone planning to live in downtown philly?

marygwendelyn said:
Hello Everyone!

-marygwendelyn

I recently sent my application in to Bryn Mawr and am anxiously awaiting a response. BM is my first choice of several schools, but I'm something of a longshot. I know it's a difficult program to get into, but can anyone tell me how difficult? I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm trying to stay realistic. Thanks.

Fzma said:
So i am heading down to interview at Bryn Mawr this Monday. Does anyone know what my chances of acceptance are once I've been offered an interview?

For those of you headed to BM, anyone planning to live in downtown philly?