Going to get a failed grade in organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citsouca1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never failed a class before. Everything else I am taking this semester, I am doing very well in other than organic chemistry. I am nearly failing this class and believe I am only averaging about a D- to a D. The withdraw deadline has passed and am unable to take a W. However, with the school I go to, I am told that if I retake the class, the grade I get the 2nd time will replace the old grade in my GPA but both grades will be shown on my transcript.

I am wondering now though, are my chances for pharmacy school gone considering that I failed organic chemistry? I don't really have a backup major because this is something I really want to do and don't want to give up on it because of one class. But if schools don't really like to see Fs or Ds on these transcripts for science classes, then I might have to think of something else. = (

EDIT: I have received a C in the end of the semester. I must've pulled through with the final given.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to be a pharmacist, you'll have to retake the class. Welcome to the real world. Man plans, God laughs.

Reactions: 1 user
but you are saying there is a chance for me of becoming a pharmacist even though I failed this class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. It just may take more time and effort on your part.

I never failed a class before. Everything else I am taking this semester, I am doing very well in other than organic chemistry. I am nearly failing this class and believe I am only averaging about a D- to a D. The withdraw deadline has passed and am unable to take a W. However, with the school I go to, I am told that if I retake the class, the grade I get the 2nd time will replace the old grade in my GPA but both grades will be shown on my transcript.

I am wondering now though, are my chances for pharmacy school gone considering that I failed organic chemistry? I don't really have a backup major because this is something I really want to do and don't want to give up on it because of one class. But if schools don't really like to see Fs or Ds on these transcripts for science classes, then I might have to think of something else. = (

Your chances for pharmacy school are not done. You do need to sit back and analyze what situations led you to your lowered grade in this class (I have gotten a D in organic, I know what it feels like) Once you look back you need to make a plan to improve your grade when you retake. Also take the time to explain to pharmacy schools what you learned out of this experience. It will make you a stronger person in the longrun. (though it doesn't seem that way now)

Treat

I took Organic 1 in my 2nd year and tanked it (Big mistake-should have withdrawn). When I applied to a school in Canada (where it's not a pre-req), they told me I would never pass organic and that I was incapable of succeeding in their program. I took it last year via correspondance, and earned an A-, as well as an A for Orgo 2. It's all about dedication and motivation. I'd love to go in there and rub it in their faces :)meanie:), but I've moved on. Instead of getting a Bachelor's degree in pharmacy, I start my PharmD program in August. It is possible to overcome that failure. You can do it.

If I were you, i would talk to your teacher about curving. Some professors will curve at the end of the class. So you will have a C, or sometimes B-. In the worse situation, having a D will not turn you off from pharmacy school. Retake the class, get an A, and show them your determination, show them how much time you have dedicated to overcome the difficult concepts in Organic. They like to see not only a person who know about the stuffs, but also a persistent of doing things.

If you want to be a pharmacist, you'll have to retake the class. Welcome to the real world. Man plans, God laughs.

holy **** bro, well said, I'm gonna remember that, "Man plans, God laughs"

"I am not real."--God

"I am not real."--God
"I am very real."--God

If people want to mention God in their threads, let them. Whether God exists or not isn't the original subject of this thread, neither is this forum the place for it. Try the Sociopolitical forums if you're itching for that kind of debate.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I could apply to pharmacy school (MCPHS Boston or Worcester) with an F or a D on the transcript with all of the other prequisites done and notify them I would retake organic 1 over the summer.

Could that be done and get accepted if I got a specific grade they would look for or would they reject me and tell me I need to replace the bad grade?

Your chances at pharmacy school are not gone.

I took Organic I, 3 different times, I got a UW, D, and A.

I took Organic II, twice, F and B. Here I am in pharmacy school.

But didn't you get A's and B's in all of your other prereqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a W and repeat the class. A W could mean anything but a F says you failed.

Im afraid its too late to withdraw from the class. All I can do is study hard and earn a solid D.

I was wondering if I could apply to pharmacy school (MCPHS Boston or Worcester) with an F or a D on the transcript with all of the other prequisites done and notify them I would retake organic 1 over the summer.
This is something that you would have to ask the school. My state school requires all pre reqs be complete by spring semester. So call or email the schools you are applying to.

Bio I - B-
Bio II - B+
Chem I - B+
Chem II - B-
Calculus - B
Intro Psych - B
History I/II - A/A-
Anatomy - B-
Microbiology - B

Most of my A's were in the liberal arts classes.

Say it like it is, sister. That's how lots of us get into pharmacy school :)

You must have grea volunteer hours or something else, right?

Ehh, volunteered with the Red Cross from the beginning of my senior year of high school until the beginning of my 2nd year of undergrad(Aug 04-Aug 06).

But I think the key was that I've been working at a pharmacy since Aug 06.

I got Cs in chemistry too. Those were fun days.

No, this won't stop you from getting into pharmacy school.

As another poster mentioned though, you may need to sit down and figure out why you have done poorly in this class so you can change your approach when (if) you re-take it.

I was also going to ask about a curved grade - I seem to recall my undergrad chem classes having crazy curves and I would think I was failing but would end up with a B. Perhaps you could talk with the professor and get their perspective on your situation.

Good luck!

My failures in chemistry were due to bad game plans for the course. I took the courses in this order:

Organic Chem I (UW) - Organic Chem I (D) - Organic Chem II (F) - Organic Chem I (A) - Organic Chem II (B)

I started out bad during the first try and I was just playing catch up the rest of the way, I didn't do any problems and all I did was read notes for the UW try.

On my D try, I kept writing the tables in the book over and over again and tried to memorize them, tried flash cards as well, got a D, did the same for my first try of Organic II and got an F.

On my successful runs, I as many homework problems as I could.

As for the curves, my 3rd run at Organic I was curved because the class average was a 450/1000. I was at a 820/1000 at the end, thus the professor added 300 to everyone's grade to bring the average to a 750/1000, I ended up with 1120 :)

As for Organic II, there was NO CURVE at all, and I finished with 849/1000. The average was around 700/1000.

For immunology, there were no curves but the professor had an awesome way of doing extra credit. There were about 35 points of extra credit possible, and they would be directly added to your final grade. My final grade was a 50/100, and I did all 35 points of extra credit, so I ended up with 85/100.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot that I got a D in Bio I the first time.

And a C in Physics.

Had I applied using PharmCAS, my GPA would have been around a 2.8.

Didn't you apply using PharmCas? I thought you said one time that when Pharmcas calculated your overall gpa it was a 2.9 and the sci gpa was like a 2.5.

Yeah well, Organic Chemistry is the first science course I had trouble with.

The first time I took it I got a C (41% of the class got F's, 30% D's, the rest was C's & B's). We pretty much all got screwed & it was upsetting how my professor didn't curve. Then, I took Organic Chem 1 the next semester and got an A (because he curves - still not excessively generous though). Now....I'm currently taking Organic Chem 2, and I think I'm gonna get a B...I may get surprised at the end of the semester. We'll see.

Buuuuut...the difficulty of Organic Chemistry is always determined by the professor. I know some people - from other schools - who say Organic Chemistry was a piece of cake...and I know people - from mainly my school - who say Organic Chemistry is the toughest class they've ever taken. It just depends what instructor you have - like any other course in college.

However, if it makes you feel any better...I was on the borderline between a D & F the first time I took Organic Chemistry...I nailed my final and got a C in the end. So don't quit!

Didn't you apply using PharmCas? I thought you said one time that when Pharmcas calculated your overall gpa it was a 2.9 and the sci gpa was like a 2.5.

Touro NY was not a PharmCAS school for the 2008 school year. I applied to Thomas Jefferson, LIU, St. John Fisher, and LECOM through PharmCAS.

we just started learning NMRs.... I've been to many websites and still having trouble. Can anyone recommend a website for such topic or give any tips?

we just started learning NMRs.... I've been to many websites and still having trouble. Can anyone recommend a website for such topic or give any tips?

Practice problems practice problems practice problems. Do the problems in the back of the text, if there aren't any, buy a text with practice problems. You will begin to see trends and recognize peaks, substituents etc... I wouldn't mess around on the internet.

Practice problems practice problems practice problems. Do the problems in the back of the text, if there aren't any, buy a text with practice problems. You will begin to see trends and recognize peaks, substituents etc... I wouldn't mess around on the internet.

I agree with my friend here. I love screwing around on the internet, but you NEED to get away from it. The best way to learn is go somewhere without computers and review your text. Its all in the text.

wait, I may be missing something but don't most schools require say like a C in every prereq. class? So if one gets below that, doesn't that automatically disqualify you from acceptance for that year's cycle?

Not trying to be pessimistic, just trying to find out the facts.

wait, I may be missing something but don't most schools require say like a C in every prereq. class? So if one gets below that, doesn't that automatically disqualify you from acceptance for that year's cycle?

About 90% of pharmacy schools will not take a C- and below. What you're missing is that one can always retake a course to bring their grade above that mark and the OP will most certainly have to do this.

I know a guy at LIU who was a Pre-Pharmacy major and got accepted to the 2008 Entering Class. However, he decided to hold off on Physics until the summer, which was perfectly fine for the admissions committees, he ended up failing Physics and that got his acceptance withdrawn.

Did he deserve to fail? Not my call, I had the 3rd highest average(77) in the class and I ended up with a C. The class average was around a 40-45, highest grade was a B, I think the professor should have curved it maybe 20-30 points because he FAILED 12 PEOPLE!!!!

I know a guy at LIU who was a Pre-Pharmacy major and got accepted to the 2008 Entering Class. However, he decided to hold off on Physics until the summer, which was perfectly fine for the admissions committees, he ended up failing Physics and that got his acceptance withdrawn.

Did he deserve to fail? Not my call, I had the 3rd highest average(77) in the class and I ended up with a C. The class average was around a 40-45, highest grade was a B, I think the professor should have curved it maybe 20-30 points because he FAILED 12 PEOPLE!!!!

It's logic like this that causes the decline of academia in the US.

It's logic like this that causes the decline of academia in the US.

I'm not complaining because I passed, its just that he's the first professor who I know actually failed 12 people, and about 4 of them were already accepted into pharmacy. I was actually hoping that some people would have their acceptances revoked, but my appeal didn't go through and they said that those spots would have just gone to wait-listed applicants.

We just finished NMR what kind of problems are you having?

We just finished NMR what kind of problems are you having?

Finished the Organic series nearly 3 years ago. Didn't have any problems. Thanks for lookin' out though.

No problem, I just finished Organic I w/ Lab today got an A in both I'm glad that's over and on to round two I hope it's not a knock-out! LOL

I envy those who ace organic. My teacher taught Organic chemistry for 18 years and is satisfied with 50% of her class passing. Ugh....

Finals are coming up. She did say if we did well on the final, those 4 test we have will be erased so I still have a hopeful chance to at least aim for a C.

Now you have to make sure that you can replace your 1st grade. Because at university, if you retake a class, they only average the 2 together and that "W" or "D" will still be on your transcript. That how it works at my university.

Well here, the "D" will appear next to the other grade on the same class on the transcript but they don't average it together.

Well my grade came up for organic.... I got a C and an A in lab. I never been so happy with a C in my life.

Well, my next question is, should i retake it even though it is a transferrable grade? I know during the break I will be giving Organic 2 a head start.

Well my grade came up for organic.... I got a C and an A in lab. I never been so happy with a C in my life.

Well, my next question is, should i retake it even though it is a transferrable grade? I know during the break I will be giving Organic 2 a head start.

Chances are if you got a C in Org 1, you'll get a C in Org 2. It's more rigorous than you think. ask around though...it always depends on who is teaching it.

Don't get all hung up over a C. Organic Chemistry has been, in my experience, the class which most people have trouble with. A C isn't the end of the world and I wouldn't be too concerned with retaking it. I know several PS students who averaged C's in Organic. I myself got a B- by the good graces of God and I don't expect to get any higher. Now if you get a D and have been accepted to a PS, you may lose your spot... just depends on the school.

Chances are if you got a C in Org 1, you'll get a C in Org 2. It's more rigorous than you think. ask around though...it always depends on who is teaching it.

Actually, the thing with Organic 2 is that it is really easy once you get passed Organic 1. If you know the basic concepts of Organic 1 well, the rest of Organic is easy.

Actually, the thing with Organic 2 is that it is really easy once you get passed Organic 1. If you know the basic concepts of Organic 1 well, the rest of Organic is easy.
Most likely true. My Organic 1 teacher told us that concepts in Organic 2 are a bit harder, but the work load is much smaller.

I took Organic 1 in my 2nd year and tanked it (Big mistake-should have withdrawn). When I applied to a school in Canada (where it's not a pre-req), they told me I would never pass organic and that I was incapable of succeeding in their program. I took it last year via correspondance, and earned an A-, as well as an A for Orgo 2. It's all about dedication and motivation. I'd love to go in there and rub it in their faces :)meanie:), but I've moved on. Instead of getting a Bachelor's degree in pharmacy, I start my PharmD program in August. It is possible to overcome that failure. You can do it.

Organic isn't a pre-req? Are you kidding? Is it part of their 1st year of the pharmacy program?

Well, that wasn't my experience. And you know what? I don't get why people ask these questions on SDN. This is an issue that varies from school to school. Talk to friends, professors, family...I don't mean to offend anyone; I just want people to get better answers to these particular questions.

I know a lot of pharmacist I work with had trouble with it but pharmacy school must've been different GPA-wise at the time. I learned my mistakes from Ochem and hope not to replicate them dor Ochem2. However, that C does look somewhat ugly.

However, I do need more inputs with retaking the class or not. I mean I will suffer through to get an A if needed but most pharmacy schools do transfer a minimum grade of a C.

EDIT: I have received a C in the end of the semester. I must've pulled through with the final given.[/quote]

????

Marietta Schwartz

I got B. Thanks God !!!

I heard Cerny is better then Schawartz but his test is harder. Are you taking OC II with Cerny?