Going Unmatched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptimisticMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many scary posts about IMG's unable to secure post-graduate training. I was wondering if there are any students (past or present) who have experienced this first hand? What are the avenues available to a graduate if they were unable to secure this training in Canada, the US, or Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

There are many scary posts about IMG's unable to secure post-graduate training. I was wondering if there are any students (past or present) who have experienced this first hand? What are the avenues available to a graduate if they were unable to secure this training in Canada, the US, or Australia?

I don't know about Canada or Australia but in the US, if you are unmatched, you can attempt to scramble. It's not an ideal situation but many folks are able to obtain something (usually preliminary medicine or surgery). You are not likely going to scramble into much else. If you do wind up scrambling, be sure that understand the process, have a fax machine, cell phone and a couple of people handy to help you with contacting programs.

You also will need to register with ERAS so that you can use their service for the scramble. The unfilled list comes out on the Tuesday before the regular Match announcements. Positions go quickly so you have to know how to maximize your chances.

The other thing that you can do is try to secure a position outside of the match. This means contacting programs that either didn't participate in the match or are willing to hire you outside of the match. Beware that you can't have any visa issues and that many of these places will not "sponsor" you. This is the end of my limited knowledge that I gained from speaking with people who have gone thorough this type of experience. Good luck

Beware that you can't have any visa issues and that many of these places will not "sponsor" you.

by visa issues you mean you must be a US citizen or green card holder ? if you are seeking H1B should you not attempt to reach positions outside the match?

by visa issues you mean you must be a US citizen or green card holder ? if you are seeking H1B should you not attempt to reach positions outside the match?

It will be much more difficult to obtain a scramble position if you need a visa, but not technically impossible. At this point, you really don't have much to lose. A certain number of scramble applications are included with your basic ERAS fees, and you can't buy any more. So it's not terriby expensive to try and scramble, just be prepared for an uphill battle.