Gold standard, inflation, dental school tuition etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imback

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion on gold standard? What kind of impact would going back to gold standard have on dental field? inflation gone? dental school tuition lowered?

Also do you believe the government should abolish the federal student aid/loans?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your opinion on gold standard? What kind of impact would going back to gold standard have on dental field? inflation gone? dental school tuition lowered?

Also do you believe the government should abolish the federal student aid/loans?

dude no one cares about your politics. go jump on some other forums. you're like that annoying kid in the class that no one wants to talk to. take your ron paul political crap elsewhere. its not welcome here. :mad:

What a waste of time thinking about hypothetical situations such as this are...go study or something!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any opinions are welcomed, as always.

What is your opinion on gold standard? What kind of impact would going back to gold standard have on dental field?

I think gold inlays are probably the best option for fillings. They last forever and are super durable.

If we went back to the gold standard, these procedures would probably be more expensive to do, so dentists might make more money.

It's a shame more people aren't tuned into this kind of thing. The money in your wallets are based on absolutely nothing, inflation will continue to soar and go against us. The only thing that assures us success in the world is the strength of our country. It's been worry free for a bit but keep in mind the united states has only been a dominant force for a splinter of time in the grand scheme of things. Chinas economy is predicted to be bigger than our in 5 years. Things are shaky now, if everything falls apart there could be no difference between the value of our dollar and the value of the vietnamese dong or the yuan.

A gold standard would be great IMO. You could buy something for relatively the same price in the 30's and 40's as you could in much of the 1800's. It puts a real, world wide value on our goods and services and on our wealth. As time passes more and more people will stray away from trusting our government completely.

I think gold inlays are probably the best option for fillings. They last forever and are super durable.

If we went back to the gold standard, these procedures would probably be more expensive to do, so dentists might make more money.

Would be highly profitable for dentists but unfortunately I don't think patients want to pay for that... :(

No gold standard -> No physical value in dollar bill -> Allows politicians to spend more -> endless rise in national debt level + Federal Reserve (which is owned by private banks) printing more money out of "thin air" -> higher rate of inflation -> more erosion of purchasing power -> and now you must work harder than last year just to maintain your living

Inflation is a silent money thief, and one way to control inflation is going back to the gold standard.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NfXk7Bvc8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvlj0BxR1ZY[/YOUTUBE]
Watch through 6 minute mark for the second video.

Going back to the gold standard is a poor idea. Take an econ class that is just about money and currency and you will see why. It's like treating a symptom not the disease.

Going back to the gold standard is a poor idea. Take an econ class that is just about money and currency and you will see why. It's like treating a symptom not the disease.
Enlighten us. What better solutions than going back to the gold standard are there, then?

Because our economists are on top of the situation and are influencing our responsible federal reserve and global spending habits, right? Fiat currency has never and will never survive. Wake up.

I want to say that I don't agree with everything that the economists are doing in terms of spending; however, I dont think going to a gold standard would fix all of our problems. It would be terrible for our economy - in fact the deflation would be so bad that our economy would most likely collapse. Not to mention, I dont even want to think about where our gov would go to in order to attain the gold neccesary to back all the currnecy.

Although there was QE done it hasn't really made it to the market yet and it most likely wont for alot of time. Even though the fed bought up bonds in order to increase the money supply the banks are not lending. Therefore, as times get better the fed can take alot out of circulation as infaltion starts to occur. This is an advantage to having control of the currnecy and not having it finite like gold; though, yes there are some draw blacks (infaltion).

Fiat currnecy has and will survive. Look at the dollar today and it's strength. Even despite our problems look at the relitive strength of the US economy. Then go back and look at monetary and fiscal policy over the last 60 years and you'll see that although there are some pains to pay we are here today because of those actions.

You will most likely disagree with what I have said because RP doesnt. However, I think it's important to realize that even though you may disagree with what the fed is doing going back to a gold standard is unrealistic and stupid. I think the better solution is to come up with better policies to help both manage the money supply and infaltion. If you think this will be to hard to do because of a difficult political enviroment; I agree. However, how hard do you think it would be to get the US to adopt a gold standard again?

What instrisic value does gold have? You can see during the expansion of the gold roads that when the market was flooded with gold, gold value collapsed as well. How is that any different from the dollar?

Because our economists are on top of the situation and are influencing our responsible federal reserve and global spending habits, right? Fiat currency has never and will never survive. Wake up.

Last edited:
I want to say that I don't agree with everything that the economists are doing in terms of spending; however, I dont think going to a gold standard would fix all of our problems. It would be terrible for our economy - in fact the deflation would be so bad that our economy would most likely collapse. Not to mention, I dont even want to think about where our gov would go to in order to attain the gold neccesary to back all the currnecy.

Although there was QE done it hasn't really made it to the market yet and it most likely wont for alot of time. Even though the fed bought up bonds in order to increase the money supply the banks are not lending. Therefore, as times get better the fed can take alot out of circulation as infaltion starts to occur. This is an advantage to having control of the currnecy and not having it finite like gold; though, yes there are some draw blacks (infaltion).

Fiat currnecy has and will survive. Look at the dollar today and it's strength. Even despite our problems look at the relitive strength of the US economy. Then go back and look at monetary and fiscal policy over the last 60 years and you'll see that although there are some pains to pay we are here today because of those actions.

You will most likely disagree with what I have said because RP doesnt. However, I think it's important to realize that even though you may disagree with what the fed is doing going back to a gold standard is unrealistic and stupid. I think the better solution is to come up with better policies to help both manage the money supply and infaltion. If you think this will be to hard to do because of a difficult political enviroment; I agree. However, how hard do you think it would be to get the US to adopt a gold standard again?

What instrisic value does gold have? You can see during the expansion of the gold roads that when the market was flooded with gold, gold value collapsed as well. How is that any different from the dollar?

I might see eye to eye on a couple of your points. Gold isn't particularly useful as a metal. However, historically, it is desirable and has always been a solid base for many currencies. Silver is more plentiful than gold, desirable, and quite a bit cheaper. It has major industrial uses, including the new alternative energy market. For these reasons I'm more of a silver fan myself.

As far as our currency surviving and continuing too...it doesn't look promising to me. Take a pre-1964 dime for example (90% silver). You can almost buy a gallon of gasoline with it in todays market. The dollar has lost over 90% of its value over time. It depends on what your definition of 'survive' is.

Take the source with a grain of salt (the info in my head is from a book) but here's a rundown of failed fiats.
http://www.rapidtrends.com/examples...-throughout-history-could-the-us-repeat-this/

But when it comes down to it, I'm not an economist and I'm not certain I'm right.

As for the RP remark, I really look up to quite a few of his views. But not all. We've become a lazy consumer nation that produces absolutely nothing (for the most part). A big portion of our population feels entitled to the money others have worked hard for. Who knows whats driving our foreign policy but it's obviously necessary for our countries survival since we avidly pursue wars no matter which party is in office. We're rotting away from the inside.

I think we're gonna piss people off though haha, so I'll stick to dental related threads from here on out.

When I listen to RP in debates I agree with almost 100% of what he says in terms of direction; but much less in terms of magnitude. I respect the guy I just think he takes it too far some times.

I might see eye to eye on a couple of your points. Gold isn't particularly useful as a metal. However, historically, it is desirable and has always been a solid base for many currencies. Silver is more plentiful than gold, desirable, and quite a bit cheaper. It has major industrial uses, including the new alternative energy market. For these reasons I'm more of a silver fan myself.

As far as our currency surviving and continuing too...it doesn't look promising to me. Take a pre-1964 dime for example (90% silver). You can almost buy a gallon of gasoline with it in todays market. The dollar has lost over 90% of its value over time. It depends on what your definition of 'survive' is.

Take the source with a grain of salt (the info in my head is from a book) but here's a rundown of failed fiats.
http://www.rapidtrends.com/examples...-throughout-history-could-the-us-repeat-this/

But when it comes down to it, I'm not an economist and I'm not certain I'm right.

As for the RP remark, I really look up to quite a few of his views. But not all. We've become a lazy consumer nation that produces absolutely nothing (for the most part). A big portion of our population feels entitled to the money others have worked hard for. Who knows whats driving our foreign policy but it's obviously necessary for our countries survival since we avidly pursue wars no matter which party is in office. We're rotting away from the inside.

I think we're gonna piss people off though haha, so I'll stick to dental related threads from here on out.

Last edited:
Going back to the gold standard is a terrible idea. It shouldn't even be considered a viable solution.