Golden Key and NSCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amrazzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth joining or even mentioning these pay-to-enter honor societies in applications?

Members don't see this ad.

if you plan on being an active participant in the club, yes...otherwise no

some might say to join just so you can "fill up" all the spaces on your application...and they aren't totally off base..

think of your extracurriculars as quality > quantity

Members don't see this ad :)
phi beta kappa requires a fee, but it is in my opinion a valuable society to be in due to its selective nature. At my school it is pretty difficult to get into, and its not just "ok you have this gpa--> you're in!" They look at course rigor and diversity and other factors

I'm in Golden Key and I just got the academic director position.. so it's rly important to be an active member in the club rather than just someone who paid to get in.. but as an experienced member, it rly is a good organization and looks rly good as a leadership position in your application. so overall, join honor societies with the intent of being an active member and not because it appears on your transcript! :D good luck!