Golden Key Honor Society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an email from my honors department stating that I am being offered a membership in the Golden Key Honor Society. There is NOT a Phi Beta Kappa chapter on my campus and I have not become a member of any other honor society, although I am a member of my university's Honors program. I am seriously considering joining because it seems like I won't have much else in terms of societies or fraternities to put on my AMCAS. The email said that my academic success placed me in the top 15% of all juniors and seniors at my campus. While I realize this is hardly selective, it does denote some type of excellence.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The email said that my academic success placed me in the top 15% of all juniors and seniors at my campus. While I realize this is hardly selective, it does denote some type of excellence.

At UC Berkeley, Phi Beta Kappa goes out to the top 10% of Seniors, which isn't much ahead of 15%.

If you like, join it. I didn't put down any honor societies/fraternities on my AMCAS, but I had other random award thingies, so if you need it, do it.

Not worth it, IMHO. This is a thing where you have to PAY for your 'academic honor'. Take a look at their website -- what kind of honor society "accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover"??

There are plenty of things that might enhance your application, but this is not one of them. No ADCOM is going to be fooled. Seriously, if your academic performance is really good, this will already be apparent on your transcript, so save your $$.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, it may even look bad. The only people I ever knew who did Golden Key stuff (at other universities, mind), they were kind of big losers who were trying to say how great they were. It also sometimes sends a signal: Golden Key, not in the top 10% :p (cuz most U.S. schools do have Phi Beta Kappa and so those people just do those).

I don't know, you could probably find reasons to join. I can also see many ways in which it could hurt.

I am in Golden Key and my school also does not have Phi Beta Kappa. I joined Golden Key mainly because they're pretty active on my campus and offer lots of things to do. It's also a one-time payment thing, rather than a "pay X dollars every year or we kick you out" deal, and it wasn't much at all to join.

Does your college have Phi Kappa Phi? From what I've been told, that is closer (although still not the same) to Phi Beta Kappa's level. I think at my school, PKP takes the top 1% of juniors and the top 5% of seniors, so it's fairly selective.

I am a dues-paying member--it's just a line on my c.v. and a certificate in my filing cabinet. Doubt it was worth it, but it didn't cost me a whole lot.

FYI I can't think of a professional organization that doesn't take credit cards on their website.

Does your college have Phi Kappa Phi? From what I've been told, that is closer (although still not the same) to Phi Beta Kappa's level. I think at my school, PKP takes the top 1% of juniors and the top 5% of seniors, so it's fairly selective.

I just did some searching, and we do have PKP. According to the website, "Membership in Phi Kappa Phi is by invitation only, and is offered to juniors, seniors and graduate students. Prospective members will receive invitations in mid-March. In order to be nominated as a junior, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5, be in the top 7.5 percent of their class, have completed a minimum of 72 credits with at least 24 of those credits taken at Virginia Commonwealth University and be of worthy character. The same criteria, except the percentage, apply to those classified as seniors. The percentage for eligible seniors is the top 10 percent."

Right now I have a 3.81 and 77 credits as of the end of Fall 2006. So maybe I will get an invitation in mid-March? I guess I'll pass on Golden Key and wait for PKP - hopefully I'll get in.

Thanks for all the advice!

Not worth it, IMHO. This is a thing where you have to PAY for your 'academic honor'.
several honors societies require dues, ie PBK, Psi Chi, etc.. if u've got pretty frames lying around the house and empty walls, go for it

I am a member, do receive their emails. They don't seem to be too active in my school. I wouldn't do it just for the sake up filling up one of the extracurriculars (waste of 75 bucks). Almost 90% of students who interview would be eligible anyway, top 15% isn't really that hard to achieve.

Don't do it. Waste of money and time. It's mostly a scam.

Yeah, it is a scam...like Who's Who of America....the scam where some *******es pay money in order to get their name listed with a bunch of other *******es who paid to get listed with other *******es. Just imagine, some guy(s) who run this scam and other Who's Who listings actually make a living out of this. You're in Who's Who of America? I'm in Who's Who of I-Don't-Give-A-DAMN, as are most people...and this membership is free....

Golden Key is a similar deal....you pay money for membership and you'll hold fruity meetings and compete for scholarships whose funding was derived from membership fees. Just imagine, some people who run this scheme actually make a living off of naive college kids who are supposedly at the top 15% of their class. That's sad.

OP, my friend, do what I did with my Golden Key Invitation: keep the envelope/letter in the bathroom in case you run out of toilet paper.

phi beta kappa is definitely not a scam

Members don't see this ad :)
Our Golden Key here is nice. Its not really for the name, its for the service and social opportunities within that group. Like at our meetings, we have free dinner, neat speakers etc. Its a nice opportunity to socialize with other people who are also quite smart but maybe not a bio major like me. Plus they do a lot of service. Its just a way to get plugged in. And at least at A&M, you pay dues in whatever group you're in to pay for the activities the group will put on. That's kinda how it is with Golden Key. And the other groups I'm involved in... I'd LOVE it if they took Visa and Mastercard :)

Don't take the name so seriously. If you're looking to get involved and haven't found something that really clicks for you, try this out. Social skills are a good thing :)

Don't take the name so seriously. If you're looking to get involved and haven't found something that really clicks for you, try this out. Social skills are a good thing :)

I'm involved. :) I am actually on the public relations committee of our Forensic Science Student Club (basically we run open houses and talk to prospective students) as well as other things.

I'm not going to do the Golden Key. If I get an invite to join Phi Kappa Phi then I might think about it - it is more selective than Golden Key.

Well then I think you're set. :)
I wouldn't worry in general, too much about which honor society is better and that stuff. They only time I knew it matter in the least was with NHS in high school and it was more of ok you're not in it? Why? Anyone gets in :)

Good luck with everything :)

i don't think it's worth it. now getting PBK is the shiznit. that's like AOA for med school.

haha funny. i was just invited to PKP, and am filling out the paperwork tonight. The main reason I'm interested is for the fellowships and grants.

A Scam? It's only a scam if you're too ignorant to follow up on the opporutinites. I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars at my univeristy. It is very similar to Golden Key. I payed a WHOPPING 70 dollars to join (less than many of my secondary fees). I have served as VP and then President of the organization. In that time I've traveled to two national conferences that I didn't pay a single penny for, and in the mean time have developed many great relationships with people.

The Big Brother's Big Sisters's organization in our county relies heavily on our support for helping them put on their two biggest fundraising events. We help keep them going. I guess if you pay the one time membership fee, and do nothing further with it, then yes, you "scammed" yourself. Congrats, you paid seventy dollars (or whatever GK charges) for a line item. You can also earn that one time fee back and more by just taking advanatge of a few opportunities. Hell, I even saved one hundred dollars off my Kaplan course with an NSCS discount.

Last fall we brought a group of high school kids onto campus and had them take a tour, see the dorms, eat in the commons, and hear from campus officials. I doubt these kids would have ever had such an experience otherwise, and many of them are now working hard on those grades and ACT scores for college. We also have a tutor/mentor program for them as well.

NSCS has played a large role in my undergraduate experience, our chapter was basicaly built from the ground up during my officer terms. It has come up in every interview so far and I won't sit here and say that it's the reason why I hold multiple acceptances, but it has indeed played a large role in my undergad experience.

So for you, I encourage you to look into your campus chapter a little bit. Look to see if they are active on campus, each chapter is different. Either way, the experience is what you make of it. I will agree that many people pay the fee and don't take advantage of it. I guess I should thank these people because we pay for everything for the active members of our chapter; socials and food at meetings and all that fun stuff. Don't waste your money if you won't be active, and it probably isn't helpful to have a line item with which you can relate no experiences. It should fit rather nicely into the EC category, not the honor category.

I am in both organization but I think that PBK is more respected than golden key and in addition to that, most of the opportunities you get with being in Golden key should be availabele through ur school's honors college. Having said that though, I don't see why it should hurt you in anyway if you list it as part of your activities; it denotes a slight sense of achievement (top 15%) and should help you if anything.

I'm in it, but it probably didn't help any.

I joined golden key, and for me...it's been a great way to find volunteer/research opportunities - but that's because I attend school where the dominant language isn't english, it's very hard to find places to help out in english unless you're in some kind of a society like that.

You'll find, most of the people are aiming for law or medical school, so they cater a lot of activities towards helping you achieve that goal. It's only $75, I'd say it's worth it

How do you guys make use of all these "great" services. I signed up years ago, and the advertised scholarships suck or do not apply to me, there are extremely few events, and I get emails like IBM networking opportunities!!!
Not worth it, but it is nice to be part of one honours society I guess.

A Scam? It's only a scam if you're too ignorant to follow up on the opporutinites. I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars at my univeristy. It is very similar to Golden Key. I payed a WHOPPING 70 dollars to join (less than many of my secondary fees). I have served as VP and then President of the organization. In that time I've traveled to two national conferences that I didn't pay a single penny for, and in the mean time have developed many great relationships with people.

The Big Brother's Big Sisters's organization in our county relies heavily on our support for helping them put on their two biggest fundraising events. We help keep them going. I guess if you pay the one time membership fee, and do nothing further with it, then yes, you "scammed" yourself. Congrats, you paid seventy dollars (or whatever GK charges) for a line item. You can also earn that one time fee back and more by just taking advanatge of a few opportunities. Hell, I even saved one hundred dollars off my Kaplan course with an NSCS discount.

Last fall we brought a group of high school kids onto campus and had them take a tour, see the dorms, eat in the commons, and hear from campus officials. I doubt these kids would have ever had such an experience otherwise, and many of them are now working hard on those grades and ACT scores for college. We also have a tutor/mentor program for them as well.

NSCS has played a large role in my undergraduate experience, our chapter was basicaly built from the ground up during my officer terms. It has come up in every interview so far and I won't sit here and say that it's the reason why I hold multiple acceptances, but it has indeed played a large role in my undergad experience.

So for you, I encourage you to look into your campus chapter a little bit. Look to see if they are active on campus, each chapter is different. Either way, the experience is what you make of it. I will agree that many people pay the fee and don't take advantage of it. I guess I should thank these people because we pay for everything for the active members of our chapter; socials and food at meetings and all that fun stuff. Don't waste your money if you won't be active, and it probably isn't helpful to have a line item with which you can relate no experiences. It should fit rather nicely into the EC category, not the honor category.

NSCS is the worst at the bunch. :p I forget, does it take the top 45% or something? Maybe it's big at your university. I know it as a group that didn't even exist on campus except to mail out invitations and take people's money. Hard to get involved in a group when it *doesn't exist and nobody wants it to*. You could be a really active group of 1, if you wanted, I guess.

That being said, I saw NSCS had a scholarship available to one new member per chapter or something like that, and so I paid my $70 to get that $500 scholarship. Then I didn't do anything for it. I only joined for the sake of winning that scholarship, that I gambled that I'd get if I joined.

And I will never put that **** on my resume or any applications. Ever. Not the society, not the award. I just went in for the money and fled. What a horror.

So I'm a little fuzzy here? I guess first that I don't know which scholarship you are talking about. Maybe it was one that was specofoc to the chapter though. If you did get it, then I guess you made out like a bandit, eh? If not, what made you think you would win it just by joining.

That set aside, life I said in my first post, you should do a little research and infd out how active the chapter is on yoru campus. They are all different and vary from non-existent to very active. If you don't take the time to look into what you're spending your money on, then who can feel sorry for you.

I can only speak from my personal experience. My friends and I took our "non-existent" scam of a chapter, which only held meetings once a month just to eat pizza, and turned it into a well-known service chapter on our campus that now regularly earns the national office's highest level of achievement. It is what you make of it, do your homework, plain and simple.

IMHO, I think getting Phi Beta Kappa for a pre-med is a pretty big deal especially if you're a science major - since it's mainly for liberal arts...

IMHO, I think getting Phi Beta Kappa for a pre-med is a pretty big deal especially if you're a science major - since it's mainly for liberal arts...

Yeah, but unfortunately (as I said) my school does not have a PBK chapter - only Phi Kappa Phi.

I put in a request today to get my class rank, so I'll see in a few days if I qualify for PKP. :D

You know, if your school lacks a Phi Beta Kappa, why don't you start your school's chapter.

http://staging.pbk.org/AM/Template....r&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=2045

That should get you started. I'm fairly certain you can find the 10 faculty PBK members to get you started (unless attend a super small school).

On the other hand, it is rather expensive. You'd probably have to ask your school to foot the $10,000 bill.

In all honesty, although it is very prestigious, it operates exactly like a pyramid scheme scamming system:p Your school pays them tens of thousands of dollars for permission to charge their students nearly $100 to add their names to some excel file on somebody's laptop:p

Really? At UC Berkeley they count all L&S classes towards PBK, so it encompasses liberal arts/science majors equally.

It only excludes engineers, but we have TBP, which is infinitely more awesome:)

YAY, i'm so happy someone started this thread. I keep getting invitations for Golden Key and I've ignored them all, not wanting to pay to join another remote honors society that would be pointless to me. They are REALLY intent on getting me to pay that membership fee tho... they've even sent stuff addressed to my PARENTS, telling them what a great opportunity it is for their daughter... how they get all this info is beyond me... :rolleyes:

I'm actually in NSCS for Loyola Marymount, my undergrad institution for my first 2 years, and I never did ANYTHING except for pay the fee... with all my other extracurriculars, I have no time for this stuff (not then, not now)... I'd never participate... it'd just be a loss of $70... and on that note, once, NSCS sent me an invitation to travel to a foreign country and be an "student ambassador"... if I paid $4000. :b eff that!!

OP, my friend, do what I did with my Golden Key Invitation: keep the envelope/letter in the bathroom in case you run out of toilet paper.

Why the hell would you do that?....creep.

Really? At UC Berkeley they count all L&S classes towards PBK, so it encompasses liberal arts/science majors equally.

It only excludes engineers, but we have TBP, which is infinitely more awesome:)

more Geeky than PBK. And the best thing about TBP is that you get a Star Trek Pin at initiation. If you are elected as an officer in your local TBP chapter, you get a Captain Kirk uniform and a framed photo of the Star
Ship Enterprise to put on the wall in your dorm room.

more Geeky than PBK. And the best thing about TBP is that you get a Star Trek Pin at initiation. If you are elected as an officer in your local TBP chapter, you get a Captain Kirk uniform and a framed photo of the Star
Ship Enterprise to put on the wall in your dorm room.

Au contraire. We play multiplayer games on the Wii, sing Karaoke, and play Broomball.

On the other hand, that's mainly because most of us already have a framed photo of the Star Ship Enterprise on our dorm walls, and at least a handful of us have that old Captain Kirk uniform we wore for halloween back in elementary school... and middle school... high school maybe... and of course there's those college dress-up parties...

Shut up.

Au contraire. We play multiplayer games on the Wii, sing Karaoke, and play Broomball.

On the other hand, that's mainly because most of us already have a framed photo of the Star Ship Enterprise on our dorm walls, and at least a handful of us have that old Captain Kirk uniform we wore for halloween back in elementary school... and middle school... high school maybe... and of course there's those college dress-up parties...

Shut up.

I know you guys are going to take over the world. I concede that you are smarter than the rest of us. I think that Captain Kirk is cool too. Please solve global warming so that I can continue to fly fish, snowboard, and take my girlfriend to the beach. We need you guys. And SAVE THE POLAR BEARS. I love polar bears. I mean that sincerely. If the polar bears go extinct, I will blame George Bush, and I will probably blame you for going to med school instead of solving global warming.