President of an honor society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this something that would be worth writing about in its own space if the extent of the involvement is planning events and coordinating meetings, brainstorming ideas for member participation, planning and executing some community outreach, etc? I'm cutting it slightly close with the 15 categories (especially because I want to add one more clinical experience) so I wasn't sure if this is worth it or not.

Also, if this isn't worth its own slot, would this fit under an Honors/Recognition slot with other things? I was planning on listing a few other honor societies I'm in, departmental honors (require an independent project/meeting a GPA threshold), Latin honors, Dean's List in one catch-all slot (but am not particularly attached to keeping this as I know my transcript will reflect all that - so please let me know if you would advise removing this). I understand these aren't particularly unique or noteworthy distinctions, so I have no problem cutting the space if it comes off as fluff

Thanks all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro I know you tell it like it is, especially when it comes to what you deem fluff, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on this!

We see your grades so we don't need to know about honor society, Latin honors, Deans list. Honors/Recognition is absolutely fluff unless you've won a genius award or some other national honor.
If you engaged in activities that increased opportunities for fellow students to network, engage, contribute, etc. then that is worth listing as "other" or "club" or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
We see your grades so we don't need to know about honor society, Latin honors, Deans list. Honors/Recognition is absolutely fluff unless you've won a genius award or some other national honor.
If you engaged in activities that increased opportunities for fellow students to network, engage, contribute, etc. then that is worth listing as "other" or "club" or something like that.

That's about what I figured, so I appreciate the honesty. What're your thoughts on departmental honors? For my major, it requires the completion of a one-on-one special readings class + a thesis/paper/project under the supervision of a faculty member, and also requires that I maintain a certain departmental GPA. Would that be something worth putting under Honors/Recognition, since it isn't evident on my transcripts and does require some sort of individual initiative/accomplishment?

Knowing that you did a thesis is useful. Can you label that "research". I think that's how I usually see it.

Ah, I hadn't thought about it like that since it's a public administration/political science department - but I see now! Thank you for responding.

Knowing that you did a thesis is useful. Can you label that "research"? I think that's how I usually see it.

I'd second this. Not all departments link theses with degree honors, so it's not going to be apparent just from listing it under honors and awards.

I'd second this. Not all departments link theses with degree honors, so it's not going to be apparent just from listing it under honors and awards.

This is good to know. Thank you for weighing in!

Appreciate the honesty! Would you also categorize a departmental thesis as research? (dept = poli sci/public admin)

edit: just saw you liked LizzyM's reply, got it
As long as you're learning something about the scientific method. But at a DO school, we don't care about research.

As long as you're learning something about the scientific method. But at a DO school, we don't care about research.

I have read that too. Would it change anything if the research at hand is comparative health policy research/focuses on social determinants and socioeconomic factors affecting patients (and also ties into my narrative and PS seamlessly)? I ask so I can know how to best approach AMCAS and AACOMAS, and if this would be valuable on AACOMAS as well.

I have read that too. Would it change anything if the research at hand is comparative health policy research/focuses on social determinants and socioeconomic factors affecting patients (and also ties into my narrative and PS seamlessly)? I ask so I can know how to best approach AMCAS and AACOMAS, and if this would be valuable on AACOMAS as well.
I think people would be impressed with that!