Goljan audio legally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a place to get Goljan audio lectures legally? Basically, what is the original source?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

steal_this_comic.png

Members don't see this ad :)
not only that but i think those recordings are like from the late 90's...

I actually think they're from 2002-03ish because he makes a reference to 9/11 I believe (dust from buildings coming down, asbestos, etc.), and also mentions just finishing his biochem book which came out in 2003 for the first time I think. I could be wrong though.

I believe it was a student recording him w/o permission so there is no legal copy.

Last edited:
He is obviously speaking into his microphone so it was made with his knowledge. The distribution was probably not intended, though.

Where were the recordings made? Does he go to schools to give these lecutres or was it at one of those review retreats?

He is obviously speaking into his microphone so it was made with his knowledge. The distribution was probably not intended, though.

Another possibility is that there were speakers in whatever room or auditorium the lectures were in, and the person just sat next to one of the speakers with a tape recorder. If it were a clean copy done directly through Goljan's personal microphone, you probably wouldn't hear quite as much background noise.

Another possibility is that there were speakers in whatever room or auditorium the lectures were in, and the person just sat next to one of the speakers with a tape recorder. If it were a clean copy done directly through Goljan's personal microphone, you probably wouldn't hear quite as much background noise.

:thumbup: Haha, I wasn't going to say anything to argue w/ the "obviously" but I agree w/ this.

Members don't see this ad :)

It could have also been magic.

There are two versions that are distinctly different and the good version is a direct feed from the microphone. The lower quality version is not from his microphone.

After further review I think the recording comes from a Kaplan course. A google search revealed some of the names of the lecturers he alludes to taught for Kaplan. If he did an audio lecture series like this and sold it, he would make bank. Everyone would buy it I'm quite sure, and he would make more money than whatever the guys at Falcon are paying him. I know I'd buy it, probably pay upwards of 200 for it.

After further review I think the recording comes from a Kaplan course. A google search revealed some of the names of the lecturers he alludes to taught for Kaplan. If he did an audio lecture series like this and sold it, he would make bank. Everyone would buy it I'm quite sure, and he would make more money than whatever the guys at Falcon are paying him. I know I'd buy it, probably pay upwards of 200 for it.

I'm guessing that a large number of people that take the Falcon live course do it solely because Goljan is doing the path lectures. Their website actually has a message that says that they don't normally release names of the lecturers, BUT Goljan will be doing the path lectures. :) If he released audio now, I think it would significantly eat into Falcon's revenue, so I bet there's something in his contract with them that prevents him from doing it.

I'm guessing that a large number of people that take the Falcon live course do it solely because Goljan is doing the path lectures. Their website actually has a message that says that they don't normally release names of the lecturers, BUT Goljan will be doing the path lectures. :) If he released audio now, I think it would significantly eat into Falcon's revenue, so I bet there's something in his contract with them that prevents him from doing it.

That's probably true. He must be getting paid rather well by them. I wonder how much he gets paid for lecturing for a week? It's got to be upwards of $15,000?

just a reminder that the "Goljan Audio" files are copyrighted.

Discussing how to acquire them or requesting them on SDN is a violation of the terms of service.

Thanks.

The SDN Mod Staff

I don't understand how discussing how to acquire a copyrighted material is against terms of service. If I asked for the link of how to get the book Rapid Review Path on amazon, that would be a violation based on your definition. Unless I specifically state, "How do I get an illegal copy of Goljan audio" it doesn't make sense to censor all discussion of copyrighted material.

If Goljan copyrighted the material, he knows it exists and is probably legally available somehow. Why else would you make and copyright something than to make a profit?

this whole time ive been thinking theres one set of goljan audio lectures out there doing the rounds. that is, those for step1.

turns out there are lectures for step1 And 2 out there....... :/

I don't understand how discussing how to acquire a copyrighted material is against terms of service. If I asked for the link of how to get the book Rapid Review Path on amazon, that would be a violation based on your definition. Unless I specifically state, "How do I get an illegal copy of Goljan audio" it doesn't make sense to censor all discussion of copyrighted material.

If Goljan copyrighted the material, he knows it exists and is probably legally available somehow. Why else would you make and copyright something than to make a profit?

His lecture material is copyrighted. The audio is a bootleg for these lectures he's done for Kaplan. It's essentially the equivalent of me photocopying RR Path and putting it in a 3 ring binder and selling that, then wondering why Goljan would mind.

And before you say "but that would directly encroach on his profits since he offers his own book, whereas he offers no actual legal audio files", keep in mind that people PAY to go to these Kaplan courses.

It's really not a difficult concept.

unfortunately its difficult to find them online, but you should try to find some upperclassmen that have them. We have a computer at school that has tons of old boards resources on them compiled throughout the year (including hand transcribed Goljan text...I still bought the new one). On the computer I happily found the audios. The upperclassmen at many schools like helping out, because they wanted help when they were going through so just do some digging and ask around. This way you can get your hands on them without getting banned from SDN :laugh:.

His lecture material is copyrighted. The audio is a bootleg for these lectures he's done for Kaplan. It's essentially the equivalent of me photocopying RR Path and putting it in a 3 ring binder and selling that, then wondering why Goljan would mind.

And before you say "but that would directly encroach on his profits since he offers his own book, whereas he offers no actual legal audio files", keep in mind that people PAY to go to these Kaplan courses.

It's really not a difficult concept.

No, Goljan himself says on his OSU website that one should buy RR instead of using the bootlegs. I'm sure he doesn't care if we use the bootlegs, so long as we purchase RR. His concern is his books (thus $$$), especially given that he no longer works for Kaplan. Kaplan isnt losing out since they can no longer off Goljan live lectures.

The only person that loses by not obtaining the audios is the medical student who thinks they are doing the "right" thing. In truth they are just denying an excellent resource which can help them learn and understand the material better, ultimately becoming better physicians. In the end, the "right" thing is to use the best resources (RR path AND the goljan audios) in order to the learn the material as well as possible.

. Kaplan isnt losing out since they can no longer off Goljan live lectures.

I presume Kaplan has some sort of copyright on the material presented in their programs. No longer offering a specific individual's lecturing/lecture notes doesn't suddenly negate a copyright.