This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moomoo123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a high school senior committed to pursuing a career in dentistry and I am looking for 6 Year (or 7 year) bs/dds programs to apply to. What would be some good, affordable options for me? I can afford to pay around 275k-325k maximum for my entire tuition.

I have already considered
Uop 5 year (pricey)
Usc 6 year (pricey but generous with scholarships. Also very competitive)
Cwru 6 year (reasonable)

Please suggest some more if you can!

Also, if i do decide to selct a more expensive (325k) program, will i still be able to get a good return on investment? Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

275-325 for both undergrad and dental? That'll be tough. IMO, don't worry about the price AT THIS POINT.
Kick butt in undergrad and try to get as many scholarships as possible. Then, even if you get into a joint program, I recommend you apply to other schools anyway for the cheapest option. If you don't get into any, you would have your guaranteed acceptance to fall back on.

And BTW, I would start looking at total Cost of Attendance, not just tuition. UoP Dental alone is $400K+. But if you can save yourself 3 years of school, then yes it is an excellent ROI.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't get what schmoob is saying about applying to multiple schools.
Most if not all dental schools will not even consider you after just two years of undergrad.
Wherever you get your joint BA/DMD program is where you'll go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get what schmoob is saying about applying to multiple schools.
Most if not all dental schools will not even consider you after just two years of undergrad.
Wherever you get your joint BA/DMD program is where you'll go.
Huh?

-UoP has a 5 year track.
-I had interviews with people who applied after their sophomore year. Schools generally want you to have 90 credits coming in. If you apply after your second year, that would satisfy the requirement.
-Being accepted to a joint program does not obligate you to attend that program.

UDM also offers a 7 year combined undergrad/dental school program, not sure about the price though, you can look that up--although I think it would be pricey considering it's a private school

So it wouldn't be possible to get a bs/dds for less than 400k?

Please suggest some more if you can!

UCONN has a nice combined Bachelor's/DMD program.
UTHSC-SA (texas school) has a 7 yr combined program.

It's totally possible. Follow these steps and you can get it for < $300K.

1) Go to a texas state school for undergrad.
2) Change your residency to Texas after 1 year.
3) Take DAT after 2nd year (complete Bio, Chem, and Orgo series in the first 2 yrs itself). Get a 22+
4) Maintain GPA > 3.70.
5) Finish undergrad. in 3 yrs by taking classes over the summer.
6) Apply to all 3 Texas Dental schools as a Texas resident. Get in and enjoy your bright future.

Alternatively, you can do 3 yrs at a TX undergrad. (very low-cost) + get an HPSP scholarship and go to any dental school in this great nation for free!

Reactions: 2 users
UCONN has a nice combined Bachelor's/DMD program.
UTHSC-SA (texas school) has a 7 yr combined program.

It's totally possible. Follow these steps and you can get it for < $300K.

1) Go to a texas state school for undergrad.
2) Change your residency to Texas after 1 year.
3) Take DAT after 2nd year (complete Bio, Chem, and Orgo series in the first 2 yrs itself). Get a 22+
4) Maintain GPA > 3.70.
5) Finish undergrad. in 3 yrs by taking classes over the summer.
6) Apply to all 3 Texas Dental schools as a Texas resident. Get in and enjoy your bright future.

Alternatively, you can do 3 yrs at a TX undergrad. (very low-cost) + get an HPSP scholarship and go to any dental school in this great nation for free!

:laugh:

Not for a joint program which typically is all private. It's possible with a state undergrad + state dental school or even private undergrad + state dental school.

I did a combined degree program
-you lose out on college life because you are always carrying a full credit load, and still go to summer school
-no chance for fun year abroad, you must take your pre reqs at home school
-make sure you get a BA/BS, you will need it if you want to go to law school after dental school (LOL)
-you will never recapture your college days, no matter what anyone says, think if the year or two of tuition is worth it

+ Save some time
+ Some guarantee of admission to D school if you maintain the required grades
+Your parents/parent/caregiver will be proud
Even if you accept a combined degree program offer, you can go elsewhere for D school if you have the pre reqs. Two of my classmates did.

Graduating D school at 24 is not all it's cracked up to be. Enjoy college.