Good GPA, Bad MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gobucks99

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm entering my senior year and I have a cumulative GPA of 3.72. I took the MCAT earlier this summer and thought I did decent on it but actually got a depressing score (490's). I am retaking the MCAT sometime next January of 2018, therefore taking a gap year. I have good extracurricular activities, shadowing experience, volunteering experience, etc. My question is what should I aim for on my next MCAT to have a chance of being accepted into a DO school? Will my pitiful first MCAT score hurt my chances despite getting a better score when I retake it? I also only studied for the MCAT for about a month and a half (yes, I need to study more). I used kaplan's books and have been getting 495's on the practice exams. Any suggestions on how to study this time? Thanks in advance!
 
Get a study plan out of the MCAT section from some of the successful test takers. Take lots of practice exams saving the AAMC full lengths till near test date.