Good luck in the scramble!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some of you out there who did not match and will be jumping into the dreaded scramble. May the force be with you!!!

When can we see the list of unfilled positions?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw on the NRMP website that there are 45 open spots, 526 filled. 18 of the spots are in the Midwest.

The list of unfilled is out at noon on tuesday, but those of us who have matched won't have access to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
jeff2005 said:
I saw on the NRMP website that there are 45 open spots, 526 filled. 18 of the spots are in the Midwest.

Where did you find this? Do you have to log in?

45 open:526 filled would be a 92% fill rate and last year it was 63%?? That makes no sense it be go up so quickly.

maybe she knows somebody who didn't match and logged in for her.

Addendum: I tried logging into NRMP to look at the unfilled list. Of course, I couldn't since I matched (no big surprise). But the page that loaded up said that the unfilled positions won't be available on the NRMP site until tomorrow at noon. So I too am now curious as to where we can find the numbers that jeff2005 posted.

AndyMilonakis said:
maybe she knows somebody who didn't match and logged in for her.

Addendum: I tried logging into NRMP to look at the unfilled list. Of course, I couldn't since I matched (no big surprise). But the page that loaded up said that the unfilled positions won't be available on the NRMP site until tomorrow at noon. So I too am now curious as to where we can find the numbers that jeff2005 posted.

I just found out where that number came from. And that info is correct, the fill % for Path was an astounding 92%+. Crazy.

PS-the number of path spots open is low, very low.(compared to over 430 Family Medicine spots) I would NOT put all my eggs in one basket and try to scramble solely for these spots. Its sucks, but the consideration for PM needs to given.

In all seriousness, scramblers need to do some meditation tonight.

its under "my reports" after you log in at the ERAS website -- just under the "unfilled programs" tab

you can see the breakdown by region, but none of the unfilled programs

i should be able to get my hands on a unfilled programs list tomorrow, so if i do, i will post it

Thrombus said:
its under "my reports" after you log in at the ERAS website -- just under the "unfilled programs" tab

you can see the breakdown by region, but none of the unfilled programs

i should be able to get my hands on a unfilled programs list tomorrow, so if i do, i will post it
I don't have a "my reports" tab... :confused: I thought I saw it a couple of months ago, though. Did it disappear?

cytoborg said:
I don't have a "my reports" tab... :confused: I thought I saw it a couple of months ago, though. Did it disappear?
Oh, I found it on the NRMP website, not ERAS. Interesting numbers.

yeah im sorry its on the nrmp site

cytoborg said:
Oh, I found it on the NRMP website, not ERAS. Interesting numbers.
Yeah, I was kind of worried at first, basedon the high number of positions filled, but then I did some comparison:

Of the 23 total specialties, Path is the 15th in terms of the percentage of unfilled positions.

If you look at the 14 specialties with more than 50 positions nationwide, path is the 11th, again based on the total percentage filled:

Ortho 99.2%
Plastics 98.8%
EM 98.0%
Peds 97.5%
Psyc 95.5%
Trans 95.1%
IM 94.9%
Anes 94.8%
Ob/Gyn 94.7%
Radiol 92.5%
Path 91.4%
PM&R 90.0%
FP 82.4%
Surg 80.1%

Is it Thursday yet?

wow, looks like i been missin out. thanks for the clarification...i'm gonna have to check out My Reports now :)

I think we might get a better picture when(if) they release the number of applicants vs spots filled and by who

Members don't see this ad :)
DasN said:
I think we might get a better picture when(if) they release the number of applicants vs spots filled and by who
Agreed - a much better indicator of competitiveness would involve the number of spots available, applied for, and filled.

A good friend who is scrambling promised me the list of unfilled Path programs tomorrow, so I will post it if nobody else does first. Ethics be damned!

I'm curious, what's ethically wrong with posting the unfilled programs list? The people who need to know will know, and the rest of us are just curious...I mean, what are we going to do with the information? Nothing.

cytoborg said:
I'm curious, what's ethically wrong with posting the unfilled programs list? The people who need to know will know, and the rest of us are just curious...I mean, what are we going to do with the information? Nothing.
Yeah, I'm sure people can come up with reasons but I don't see anything really egregious about having us see the unfilled programs list for curiosity's sake. Oh well...this whole deal is stupid.

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah, I'm sure people can come up with reasons but I don't see anything really egregious about having us see the unfilled programs list for curiosity's sake. Oh well...this whole deal is stupid.
Yes, lectures from the NRMP about ethics are kind of silly at this point - is it ethical for them to hold up the plans I have to begin for relocating my family and readjusting our budget? I think not.

agreed

screw the match
screw the NMBE or NBME or whatever the hell it is
screw the monopoly hospitals have on residents
screw the lawyers
screw the stupid rules

its a big joke how we are and will be controlled by so many outside forces bilking our soon to be hard work and for $$,$$$,$$$ over our careers

lets post the unfilled programs so we can be the detectives that we all are and try to figure where we might be and scoff at those programs who declined us an interview only to find out they are scrambling

geddy said:
Yes, lectures from the NRMP about ethics are kind of silly at this point - is it ethical for them to hold up the plans I have to begin for relocating my family and readjusting our budget? I think not.
EXACTLY! The results were KNOWN! There is no reason to wait this long.

part of me wished that the lawsuit against NRMP actually went through...but then reason took a hold of me and I realized that the world would be sheer mayhem without the Match. I still think the Match is dumb. I'm with Thrombus. Screw the Match!

Yeah, don't worry about ethics. They play games with us so they should be able to handle it.

Last year, surgery was a tough match, this year it doesn't look so - although it's kind of hard to tell because they include prelim surgery positions in there.

But yeah, that 92% fill rate is pretty impressive. I should have been more proactive about posting my daily schedule here to scare off some of the lifestyle folks!

AndyMilonakis said:
EXACTLY! The results were KNOWN! There is no reason to wait this long.

part of me wished that the lawsuit against NRMP actually went through...but then reason took a hold of me and I realized that the world would be sheer mayhem without the Match. I still think the Match is dumb. I'm with Thrombus. Screw the Match!
I can only think of 2 reasons to wait this long - quality control and sensitivity. Althugh the results have been known, I guess they spend a lot of time and effort verifying that nothing went wrong. Imagine if they sent 12 people to a program with only 8 spots or something. They have to check and recheck. Second, I think they have this lag of a couple of days out of respect for people who didn't match. That way, they can get things together and be on par with their colleagues when the celebration begins.

It does suck, but it's almost over...

yaah said:
Yeah, don't worry about ethics. They play games with us so they should be able to handle it.

Last year, surgery was a tough match, this year it doesn't look so - although it's kind of hard to tell because they include prelim surgery positions in there.

But yeah, that 92% fill rate is pretty impressive. I should have been more proactive about posting my daily schedule here to scare off some of the lifestyle folks!
You know, I was thinking about the whole lifestyle issue based on a discussion I had with a fellow lab member today. Thinking of lifestyle isn't a hell-worthy trespass. The way I see it...medicine is a job just like any other job. Not to harsh on you yaah, but who are we to judge people because they choose a career or a job based on the lifestyle issue. Sure, people should choose a job they enjoy. That's fine. I won't argue there. But I think part of what makes people happy is balance in life. If you have a good life outside of medicine, I think this will make it more likely that you find enjoyment in the job of medicine.

Nonetheless, if people who are going into pathology for "lifestyle" let this mentality affect their work during residency, then we have a problem. They can goof off but if it is at our expense (i.e., we have more work to do because they're slacking off), now we have an issue on our hands.

Problem is, they have had several weeks already to quality control. I agree that the reason for this three day lag is to give the scramblers time to participate in match day with the rest of the class and have no one they didn't tell be the wiser. I mean, I guess it's nice for them, but it really doesn't do anyone else any good.

I'm confused; do these numbers mean that IM is more competitive than Path? :confused:

AndyMilonakis said:
You know, I was thinking about the whole lifestyle issue based on a discussion I had with a fellow lab member today. Thinking of lifestyle isn't a hell-worthy trespass. The way I see it...medicine is a job just like any other job. Not to harsh on you yaah, but who are we to judge people because they choose a career or a job based on the lifestyle issue. Sure, people should choose a job they enjoy. That's fine. I won't argue there. But I think part of what makes people happy is balance in life. If you have a good life outside of medicine, I think this will make it more likely that you find enjoyment in the job of medicine.

Nonetheless, if people who are going into pathology for "lifestyle" let this mentality affect their work during residency, then we have a problem. They can goof off but if it is at our expense (i.e., we have more work to do because they're slacking off), now we have an issue on our hands.

No, I agree with this. Lifestyle is definitely an important consideration. But sometimes I just get the sense that some med school graduates are choosing their career based solely on convenience, salary, and lifestyle, without much consideration at all to the actual duties of the job. Heck, when I tell people what I do I often mention that my schedule and duties are much better than that in other fields with less weekend and night stuff.

stormjen said:
I'm confused; do these numbers mean that IM is more competitive than Path? :confused:
That's what I was thinking, too. Weird.

stormjen said:
I don't think "competitive" is the right way to think about it - for that, you would need to know the number of people who applied, too. But IM had a higher percentage of spots filled than path did, yes.

yaah said:
No, I agree with this. Lifestyle is definitely an important consideration. But sometimes I just get the sense that some med school graduates are choosing their career based solely on convenience, salary, and lifestyle, without much consideration at all to the actual duties of the job. Heck, when I tell people what I do I often mention that my schedule and duties are much better than that in other fields with less weekend and night stuff.
That is a good point. I stipulate that these folks went into medicine for the wrong reasons to begin with. The problem doesn't lie in the field that they choose and why. The issue at hand here iis that they went to medical school to begin with when they could have done something else to make them much happier.

Look, I'm not gonna **** you. I went to med school for the WRONG reasons too. And I'm not gonna start asking for ****ing sympathy and understanding.

yaah said:
I guess when it comes to job duties, they may vary a bit and you may enjoy some more than others, but work is still work. Otherwise they wouldn't have to pay people to do it. My philosophy is to do as little of it as possible. :D

I'm kidding about that last part, by the way, in case any one gets on my case about it.

AndyMilonakis said:
That is a good point. I stipulate that these folks went into medicine for the wrong reasons to begin with. The problem doesn't lie in the field that they choose and why. The issue at hand here iis that they went to medical school to begin with when they could have done something else to make them much happier.
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

:thumbup: MATCHED! It's nice to know I have a job and that I have ecscaped the rath of clinical medicine. Interestingly, if you compare this years 45 unfilled spots to last years 39 unfilled spots(scutwork.com), it was seemingly LESS competitive this year. During my interviews everyone seemed to build up how hard it was this year. One of the faculty that interviewed me told me he's not sure that I will be able to match in path this year, and I averaged mid 260's on the boards. They had me so scared I went on almost 20 interviews! Can't wait till thursday.

trent05 said:
:thumbup: MATCHED! It's nice to know I have a job and that I have ecscaped the rath of clinical medicine. Interestingly, if you compare this years 45 unfilled spots to last years 39 unfilled spots(scutwork.com), it was seemingly LESS competitive this year. During my interviews everyone seemed to build up how hard it was this year. One of the faculty that interviewed me told me he's not sure that I will be able to match in path this year, and I averaged mid 260's on the boards. They had me so scared I went on almost 20 interviews! Can't wait till thursday.
Yeah, my advisors had me petrified, too. Went on entirely too many interviews. But it was fun to check out a lot of different programs.

trent05 said:

I don't think that you can determine how "competitive" path is this year compared to prior years based simply on the number of unfilled spots. It probably just means that the same old handful of crappy programs that noone applies to or ranks each year (see scutwork.com for unfilled programs lists from prior years to figure out which programs they are) didn't fill again this year. It is still very possible that the competition for the "good" programs is greater this year than in prior years (which is the sentiment expressed by many of the PDs i met with on my interviews).

trent05 said:

Do they say these numbers for both years are before the scramble? The numbers are always kind of hard to interpret. It also depends - because there are a lot of programs out there that are not competitive (some community practice programs).

trent05 said:

mid-fu#$ing 260's!!!??? I am so not worthy to be in your presence! Who told you that piece of bogus BS??? When you match at your #1, I say call him and tell him to fu#$ off!!!

Well, hindsight is 20/20. But given the increasing competitiveness of pathology, I think that his adviser was looking out for his best interests. My adviser also told me to apply to roughly 20 programs since it doesn't hurt to do so (well, financially it does :laugh:). There's nothing wrong with playing things safe :)

Related topic. My friend who is a PGY-1 at MGH told me that this year, he got the impression that most or all of the people who got interviews at MGH got 99 on step 1. So even though, pathology may not have the applicant : position ratios as some of the more competitive residencies, the people who are applying to pathology these days are very smart and accomplished a lot in med school.

MGH rejected me outright :laugh: . Several times interviewers told me that they had tons of applicants with 99's.

trent05 said:
MGH rejected me outright :laugh: . Several times interviewers told me that they had tons of applicants with 99's.
that's ******ed :thumbdown:

trent05 said:
I haven't seen a scorecard with 90+ on it since I left high school. Evidently I got a lot stupider after age 18. :rolleyes:

anyways trent, hope you get your first choice with kickass boards scores like that man.

Mike_Myers_i_Wayne_s_26692a.jpg

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!

My score was not nearly a 99 (not even close), but I did get an interview offer from MGH, and was ranked-to-match there (but I did have research publications to compensate). Just don't want next year's applicants to freak out too much!

I did get some great interviews and will be very happy to match at any of my top ten :thumbup: .

No slight to MGH intended, but it seems like MGH must go down their rank list quite a bit to fill since a lot of people rank it like #2 or 3 or something. I would suspect that the majority of folks match at their #1. I haven't seen anyone posting here that MGH was their #1. But I bet that it doesn't help that at many of the places I went to interview, quite a few attendings felt obligated to take a cheap shot at MGH somewhere in the conversation.

I mean, I wasn't ranked to match at MGH. But, I was told that based on how far down the rank list they have gone in previous years, I should have no problems matching at MGH were I to rank it first. But considering that they only are trying to fill just 6 positions this year, I suspect they won't go too far down their ROL. Interesting, isn't it?

So, everyone who scrambled: how did things turn out? My fingers are crossed for you. :luck:

cytoborg said:
So, everyone who scrambled: how did things turn out? My fingers are crossed for you. :luck:

still in flux as of right now. i've had extended contact with one program throughout the day, but they won't decide until a couple of days.

considering this, i've been in a state of seizure. i have no idea what's gonna happen to me......AGAIN.