• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Good Midwestern Programs?

CaptKirk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone. I'm just curious if anyone has feedback about midwestern programs in the following states:

IL, MO, WI, MN, OK, TX, KS, IA.

I've looked at most of the web sites for the programs in these states. There is limited information on scutwork, in particular there is no information about Mayo's program or KS-Wichita's program.

I'm trying to narrow down some places that might be good prospects for externships.

I'm hoping to stay in the midwest, my family is in this area... not a super stellar competitive applicant here but not a bad prospect either.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

getinthehole

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
Keep in mind this is just my opinion from what I have heard and from interviewing at some but not all. I think some of the better programs in the area (I may leave some out) would be:

IL - Northwestern, Chicago (going to a reputable school and 240+ would help here, both are really competitive)
MO - MIR - also as above
WI - Wisconsin - very good program - not nearly as competitive as above 3, but still definitely well thought of
MN - Mayo - wonder about competitiveness because of cold location, but good program
- Minnesota - respected program, don't know much about
TX - UTSW, Baylor Houston, UT Houston - probably listed in order of competitiveness, very good programs
- Baylor Dallas - community program, good training from what I have heard
- UT Galveston, UT San Antonio - don't know much about, think are both respected university programs
IA - Iowa - good program, probably less competitive than Wisconsin and the first two Texas schools, probably equally competitive with UT Houston - 230's is probably decently good here

Keep in mind the board scores I say sort of also include an overall application picture that is similar, and that they are frequently a big part of consideration for interviews (fair or not). Without board scores, med school prestige (which probably more strongly impacts NW, Chicago, and MIR a lot more than the others), and overall perception of rest of application like AOA or something, it is hard to say which one(s) to choose from. I think most underestimate themselves though, you probably are pretty solid.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.