Good Midwestern Programs?

Started by CaptKirk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptKirk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I'm just curious if anyone has feedback about midwestern programs in the following states:

IL, MO, WI, MN, OK, TX, KS, IA.

I've looked at most of the web sites for the programs in these states. There is limited information on scutwork, in particular there is no information about Mayo's program or KS-Wichita's program.

I'm trying to narrow down some places that might be good prospects for externships.

I'm hoping to stay in the midwest, my family is in this area... not a super stellar competitive applicant here but not a bad prospect either.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.
 
Keep in mind this is just my opinion from what I have heard and from interviewing at some but not all. I think some of the better programs in the area (I may leave some out) would be:

IL - Northwestern, Chicago (going to a reputable school and 240+ would help here, both are really competitive)
MO - MIR - also as above
WI - Wisconsin - very good program - not nearly as competitive as above 3, but still definitely well thought of
MN - Mayo - wonder about competitiveness because of cold location, but good program
- Minnesota - respected program, don't know much about
TX - UTSW, Baylor Houston, UT Houston - probably listed in order of competitiveness, very good programs
- Baylor Dallas - community program, good training from what I have heard
- UT Galveston, UT San Antonio - don't know much about, think are both respected university programs
IA - Iowa - good program, probably less competitive than Wisconsin and the first two Texas schools, probably equally competitive with UT Houston - 230's is probably decently good here

Keep in mind the board scores I say sort of also include an overall application picture that is similar, and that they are frequently a big part of consideration for interviews (fair or not). Without board scores, med school prestige (which probably more strongly impacts NW, Chicago, and MIR a lot more than the others), and overall perception of rest of application like AOA or something, it is hard to say which one(s) to choose from. I think most underestimate themselves though, you probably are pretty solid.