Good Neuroscience book for Step I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did terrible in Neuroscience my first year. I'd like to revisit the subject to make sure I know what I need for Step I and beyond. I'm hoping that learning what I need for Step I will cover the "and beyond" part. Any suggestions on a good book that covers what we need to know?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you are going for:

High honors: Kandel (my personal favorite) plus netters atlas of neuroscience.

Pass: BRS neuroanatomy.

Seems like HY Neuro is pretty frequently recommended, I'm planning on
using that as my main study guide (and First Aid). What about for
images though? HY looks kind of light on images, maybe use a textbook
too? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)
For step 1, HY neuroanatomy + Goljan's chapter on neuropathology is more than sufficient. Webpath has a pretty good collection of pictures.

As far as "and beyond" goes, you're gonna learn a whole lot more during your neurology clerkship than you need for step 1. Also, keep in mind that for neuro, as with most subjects, second year material is far more important than first year stuff for step 1.

One more thing, know the difference between rigidity and hypertonia--I get the feeling that a lot of people don't, and it's a shame.

Hey tj, would you mind elaborating on the difference btwn hypertonia and rigidity? We have a lot of confusion in my class about the difference btwn spasticity and rigidity.

Hey tj, would you mind elaborating on the difference btwn hypertonia and rigidity? We have a lot of confusion in my class about the difference btwn spasticity and rigidity.

Classification and definition of disorders causing hypertonia in childhood
TD Sanger, MR Delgado, D Gaebler-Spira, M Hallett, JW Mink, Task Force on Childhood Motor Disorders
Pediatrics 2003;111:e89-e97

A consensus conference on hypertonic movement disorders in children proposes the following definitions:

“Spasticity” is defined as hypertonia in which 1 or both of the following signs are present: 1) resistance to externally imposed movement increases with increasing speed of stretch and varies with the direction of joint movement, and/or 2) resistance to externally imposed movement rises rapidly above a threshold speed or joint angle.

“Dystonia” is defined as a movement disorder in which involuntary sustained or intermittent muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements, abnormal postures, or both.

“Rigidity” is defined as hypertonia in which all of the following are true: 1) the resistance to externally imposed joint movement is present at very low speeds of movement, does not depend on imposed speed, and does not exhibit a speed or angle threshold; 2) simultaneous co-contraction of agonists and antagonists may occur, and this is reflected in an immediate resistance to a reversal of the direction of movement about a joint; 3) the limb does not tend to return toward a particular fixed posture or extreme joint angle; and 4) voluntary activity in distant muscle groups does not lead to involuntary movements about the rigid joints, although rigidity may worsen.

Classification and definition of disorders causing hypertonia in childhood
TD Sanger, MR Delgado, D Gaebler-Spira, M Hallett, JW Mink, Task Force on Childhood Motor Disorders
Pediatrics 2003;111:e89-e97

A consensus conference on hypertonic movement disorders in children proposes the following definitions:

“Spasticity” is defined as hypertonia in which 1 or both of the following signs are present: 1) resistance to externally imposed movement increases with increasing speed of stretch and varies with the direction of joint movement, and/or 2) resistance to externally imposed movement rises rapidly above a threshold speed or joint angle.

“Dystonia” is defined as a movement disorder in which involuntary sustained or intermittent muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements, abnormal postures, or both.

“Rigidity” is defined as hypertonia in which all of the following are true: 1) the resistance to externally imposed joint movement is present at very low speeds of movement, does not depend on imposed speed, and does not exhibit a speed or angle threshold; 2) simultaneous co-contraction of agonists and antagonists may occur, and this is reflected in an immediate resistance to a reversal of the direction of movement about a joint; 3) the limb does not tend to return toward a particular fixed posture or extreme joint angle; and 4) voluntary activity in distant muscle groups does not lead to involuntary movements about the rigid joints, although rigidity may worsen.

Thanks sgod34, those are excellent descriptions!

Anyone use USMLE Roadmap Neuroscience? I'm curious how it compares to HY Neuro, which gets consistently great reviews.

I had to use this book as a textbook for my neuro class (class was taught by Dr. White, who was the author). I didn't like the book much. It's overly detailed and explains some things in very convoluted and absurd ways. Some of its diagrams aren't labeled and/or explained very well, either.