1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Good post bac...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SixtyNinePesos, Oct 29, 2002.

1. SixtyNinePesos

SixtyNinePesos Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been searching and wondering if you guys and gals have any input. I am thinking of starting a post bac next year to raise my gpa.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would definately help to know what state you're in!

4. SixtyNinePesos

SixtyNinePesos Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

5. poloace

poloace Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i think usc has one that isn't advertised too much...
    p

6. opus03

opus03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I looked into this myself awhile back. I have more info for Northern California since that is where I was living at the time. Mills College in Oakland has a program that I have heard great things about from someone I know who completed it and is now at UCSF. The only downfall is the cost. A cheaper option which I checked out is Cal State-Hayward. They have an organized post-bac pre-med program and the advisors seemed very good and helpful. It seemed to be a mix of people wanting to raise GPA's and people doing the requirements for the first time. You could also consider, if you just want a couple of classes, Berkeley Extension (though they may not have much upper division stuff) or trying to take a few classes as a nonclassified student at any Cal State campus. Some of the UC's, UCSC, Riverside, and I believe Irvine, will let you do this if you already have a degree as long as they have space, but it is usually a limited number of credits. There are also formal post-bac programs at UCSF and UC-Davis that you can look into. They both have requirements about your background and current GPA I believe.

As for Southern California I did not look very much but I do know that USC has a program and that Scripps also has one which I have heard good things about. Oh, and both the Scripps and Mills post-bac programs are co-ed even though they are women's colleges. San Diego State did not have a formal program but they will also let you do post-bac work or a second degree if they are not full, which in the year I was looking, 2001, they were. Hope that helps.:)

8. Biodude

Biodude The Biology DUDE
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I go to Cal State Fullerton and we've got plenty of post-bac's here. I'm surprised that there are so many people that don't know about how well our program works, and has worked for the last 20 or so years. The main pre-health professions (pre-med, pre-dental, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, etc.) advisor is Dr. Drath, and he's really good! But I'm speaking from my own experience (as a freshman college student). Some good advice on preparing for the MCAT.

Just another option for ya if you wanna do post-bac in Southern Cali.