Good questions to ask during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips on how to turn the interview into more of a discussion. I know the interviewers have a basic set of questions that they want to ask but I've been struggling to turn the rest of the interview into more of a friendly conversation rather then an interrogation. Also at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions does anyone have any good questions that would help give insight into the schools environment? I've been going through each school and doing research and asking about certain aspects but I haven't been able to come up with a concrete list of questions that would help shed light on the school mentality and environment.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For me family was always a good topic. (unless you aren't close to your family) Then the interviewers usually started talking about their kids and families too.
As far as questions go ask whatever comes to your mind. I asked if they had T-shirts in the gift stores I could buy. About school facilities. I asked about one of my interviewers research projects (he was a PhD).

Members don't see this ad :)
To turn an interview into a conversation rather than an interrogation, I always found it helpful to start talking to the interviewer before you get into the room. Ask them about their day. They'll ask you about your travels. Make a comment about something funny you encountered on your travels, etc. It makes the whole situation so much more light-hearted so that when you get into the room, you would have already started talking and they already have a sense of your personality.

When they ask you, "Tell me about yourself," don't be scared! YOU are in control of your interview. Only mention things you feel comfortable with discussing in great detail.

Smile, be yourself. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I asked about class size. Do you think the class size is too small/too big/just right?
Most interviewers I met with responded well to the question.

OH and don't forget to smile. When I went back to the school I interviewed at (and got an acceptance from), one of the admissions committee members told me she remembered me because I was the "only one that smiled that day."