Good shoes for hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for good shoes to wear on the floors? I do a lot of Psych call and consult liason type stuff, and since the elevators in our hospital suck, I am finding myself walking 5-6 flights of stairs regularly. My feet are killing me.

I have heard Rockford is good for males. I want something Black that will blend in well with dress pants.

I've also heard about Cole Haan's but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot about Mephistos. They are great. All of these shoes are pricey but well worth the cost. If my feet hurt I'm not happy.

Part of it is going to be what you do during the day. I predominantly standing field like surgery seems to give a lot of love to the Danskos. They're less great for constant walking and useless if you have to run (responding to codes). I'll second candbgirl's recommendation of Eccos. I have some with an off the shelf orthotic and I can't remember the last time my feet hurt.

Mephistos are the best. Period.
But you'll pay for the privilege of wearing them.

Any specific Mephistos recommendations? Looking into buying a pair in a couple weeks after I get out the unit and have some time

rockports, not just for your grandpa! they even have a waterproof version for when you have to walk between buildings in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones that fit you and don't look like 1970s era orthopedic shoes.

t700_57cce7f8f279a48277f384843bbbc941.jpg

I was thinking these with a nice pair of athletic socks

Open shoes like that wouldn't really fly where I've trained. Do you really want to potentially get blood, urine, poop, vomit, and more on your socks/skin through those holes?

That was a joke, sorry, thought sandals and athletic socks made it obvious enough. Sandals in general would universally be a no go just from a professionalism standpoint anywhere I've rotated so far, outside of maybe a chill family medicine location

That was a joke, sorry, thought sandals and athletic socks made it obvious enough. Sandals in general would universally be a no go just from a professionalism standpoint anywhere I've rotated so far, outside of maybe a chill family medicine location

Sadly, I've seen it done many times...

Reactions: 1 user
Allen Edmonds. Most comfortable shoes I've ever put on.