Resident Trying to Moonlight at the Same Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I bitter or is it distasteful for another resident at your program to try to moonlight at the same hospital you are currently at? Opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I bitter or is it distasteful for another resident at your program to try to moonlight at the same hospital you are currently at? Opinions.
You are bitter. And you are also on the bleeding edge of getting canned during your last year of residency. So you need to just put your head down and shut up.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
What are you talking about? This is pretty common practice and a way for residents to make a little extra $$$ without having to go out in the community and learn a totally different system. We do this as upper level fellows in our current program to provide night coverage, but those who don't care about the extra money can opt out.

The only way it's distasteful is if it's technically "optional," but house staff are pressured heavily to cover the shifts.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you talking about? This is pretty common practice and a way for residents to make a little extra $$$ without having to go out in the community and learn a totally different system. We do this as upper level fellows in our current program to provide night coverage, but those who don't care about the extra money can opt out.

The only way it's distasteful is if it's technically "optional," but house staff are pressured heavily to cover the shifts.

I interpreted this to mean OP is currently moonlighting at another hospital and one of his or her coresidents is now trying to moonlight at the same place, like that episode of Scrubs where Turk and JD both moonlight doing ambulance shifts and one steals the signing bonus of the other? If that’s the case, OP, no, you don’t have dibs on an entire hospital.

I interpreted this to mean OP is currently moonlighting at another hospital and one of his or her coresidents is now trying to moonlight at the same place, like that episode of Scrubs where Turk and JD both moonlight doing ambulance shifts and one steals the signing bonus of the other? If that’s the case, OP, no, you don’t have dibs on an entire hospital.
Yea. I understand. I would just feel weird doing that to someone else. Like deep down guilty. Mostly all the shifts get taken pretty quick anyway so I don’t understand why the moonlighting hospital is hiring more people. I guess it’s just another reason for me to leave my location after residency.

That seems pretty normal, so my vote is for bitter.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yea. I understand. I would just feel weird doing that to someone else.

They're not doing anything to you. They want money too and you can't call dibs over an entire hospital.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Bitter, mind your business

• Love
Yea. I understand. I would just feel weird doing that to someone else. Like deep down guilty.
Aren’t you the dude that made up some crap and demanded to get COVID tested on your employer’s dime? I’m not convinced you feel shame toward your fellow man here buddy

Edit: I agree with everyone else, you should let this go.

Reactions: 4 users
Yea. I understand. I would just feel weird doing that to someone else. Like deep down guilty. Mostly all the shifts get taken pretty quick anyway so I don’t understand why the moonlighting hospital is hiring more people. I guess it’s just another reason for me to leave my location after residency.
It’s another reason for you to stop perseverating on things that aren’t important...like actually finishing your residency and not doing doofus things that could get you kicked out...dude...FOCUS!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Pretty common for this to happen. Why does it bother you?
It’s not because I think it will hurt the amount of shifts I will get. Out of all the current moonlighting attendings and residents (there is a couple) at my moonlighting hospital, I have gotten the most shifts every month. Some of it is because I’ve been there longer, I have a good reputation and I’m just willing to work more (It will be a firestorm in this fourm if I say how much I make a month from there so let’s just say more than 10k a month).

If I had to explain, it’s like going out with the residents out to eat or at a bar. The more contact you make, the more risk you will face. Something wrong can be said or happen which can open up a can of worms down the road. That is my concern.

It’s not because I think it will hurt the amount of shifts I will get. Out of all the current moonlighting attendings and residents (there is a couple) at my moonlighting hospital, I have gotten the most shifts every month. Some of it is because I’ve been there longer, I have a good reputation and I’m just willing to work more (It will be a firestorm in this fourm if I say how much I make a month from there so let’s just say more than 10k a month).

If I had to explain, it’s like going out with the residents out to eat or at a bar. The more contact you make, the more risk you will face. Something wrong can be said or happen which can open up a can of worms down the road. That is my concern.
You don’t want them working near you because you are afraid your behavior will get you in trouble? Behave better

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

The problem is within you

• Love

Is this because you can’t interact with your coworkers in a normal manner, or do you not actually have program approval to moonlight and you’re worried you might get found out?

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Is this because you can’t interact with your coworkers in a normal manner, or do you not actually have program approval to moonlight and you’re worried you might get found out?

I’m willing to bet that it’s the latter. This poster just seems intent on pushing his/her PD’s patience to the absolute limit.

I bet you're right given the professionalism thread not 1 month ago...
Or just unadulterated greed and thinking the number of shifts available is going to be cut. In a different thread, OP states they're making 27k/mo moonlighting. Either way, not a good look.

• Wow
I’m willing to bet that it’s the latter. This poster just seems intent on pushing his/her PD’s patience to the absolute limit.
Me too! There is something really off about this. OP doesn’t own the hospital, has no business whining about who they hire, etc. OP maybe quit if you are so upset. And I can’t imagine your program would be okay with you working so many shifts that you earn over 10k a month!

• Love
OP, if you are moonlighting without permission you deserve to be fired. If you are a troll, you are glorious

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Moonlighting shifts STILL COUNT TOWARD DUTY HOURS...so...if you are making that much on moonlighting, I would postulate that you are busting hours. Stop it. That WILL get you fired. Most programs have a zero tolerance on duty hour violations.

Reactions: 6 users
Im officially gonna stop posting on SDN. You guys are not helpful and just super negative. Yes I have permission to moonlight. Why are you all speculating for the worse? Moderator please close this thread. This is no longer about the question and just assassination's of someone else's character.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.