Good Stats... Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you think?

• Graduate in one year (only CC stats, able to afford w/o loans) and apply

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Graduate in two years (double major to improve stats, cannot afford)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

BenignBeignet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so this is hypothetically realistic scenario. I'll be transferring to UC Santa Barbara or UC Davis, and from transfer, I've looked at my schedule to graduate, and I should be able to graduate in one year after transfer. I'm planning to take my MCAT right before I transfer from my community college, and I will take 12 classes of upper-division biology in one year to graduate. That being said, I will have no upper-div bio if I apply to matriculate immediately after graduation. So when I apply my stats will be
~3.7 cGPA (4.0 AO, ~3.6 sGPA, only thing affecting my GPA poorly is calculus)
Lets say about a 515-520 MCAT, haven't taken it yet, but I'm asking because it affects some serious upcoming decisions on which school I choose to go to.
~90 hours of shadowing (including 60 internationally)
~5,200 hours clinical experience
0 hours research (I've been working full time as an ED Tech since my freshman year while attending school full time... I'm afraid I don't have time to commit to research. But it'll all pay off, I'll have saved enough money to my fees at a UC, about $34,000, without being in debt.)
300 hours clinical volunteering (150 ED, 150 Surgical ICU)
~125 hours non-clinical volunteer (~25 hours are tutoring, 40 are miscellaneous events including helping homeless, helping clubs, helping with fundraisers and events, as well; the rest are having a Little Brother as part of Big Brother, Big Sister program).
~Part time recreational leader at my community college's "College for Kids" summer program (while working full time and taking calculus...)
LOR's from MD I've worked with, as well as a chem professor who I've had general through organic.

So what do you think? The reason I question it is because I'll only have CC education done. But I've worked my ass off going full time while doing school. I didn't have money to go to a 4-year directly, and I've had zero help from family besides being able to live in the house, but I've saved all leftover money after necessary monthly expenditures to afford a four-year University of CA without having to pull out loans or work (so I can overkill my quarters and graduate in a year, which is all I can afford). what do you think of the impact of not having upper-div bio at the time of application will have on my chances? If I wait another year, I would just double major and wrack up a higher GPA and maybe get a little research done as part of my second major.

Members don't see this ad.