Good Step 1, desiring less competitive residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just A Doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have two semi-related questions about residency and then job prospects afterwards. I am an MS3 who recently did well on Step 1 (above 260). Currently, my career desire is to do an IM residency and be a hospitalist, possibly pursuing a fellowship in critical care at some point. I am currently looking at competitive residency programs and one middle-of-the-road IM program in a city that my wife and I absolutely love. Right now I would rank the less competitive program as my "dream program" because the location is that important to me. Obviously that may change after interviews, but for now my questions are:

1) Do I need to do anything to make sure I am not overlooked as a candidate for the program I am interested in? I have heard rumors that programs will sometimes choose not to offer an interview to students with high scores because they feel they are wasting a spot that could go to someone who is more likely to rank their program highly. Is this true? If so, I would love to avoid that potential problem.

2) Assuming I do go to this less competitive IM program, will this hurt my job prospects when I start looking for hospitalist positions?

Thanks for any input you may have

Members don't see this ad.

1. You can always call the program after you apply.

2. Probably a bit but I assume it is overcomable if you are the rockstar of the program.

Make it very clear to that program that you REALLY want to be in that city. You can do this in your interview; you can also do it in your personal statement to that program (can have individualized personal statements) to help ensure that you get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol

"Your program is really crappy and I'm kind of a big deal. I just wanted to let you know that I actually want to go there LOL. I know. I know. I promise it's true. Please rank me."

Let me know how that goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol

"Your program is really crappy and I'm kind of a big deal. I just wanted to let you know that I actually want to go there LOL. I know. I know. I promise it's true. Please rank me."

It sounds silly but it's a real concern. I didn't get a few interviews from a few of the less competitive programs on my list and it's definitely not because anything was lacking. They only have so many spots to interview applicants and want to get good people within reason. Why interview a guy with a really low probability of actually going to your program?

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds silly but it's a real concern. I didn't get a few interviews from a few of the less competitive programs on my list and it's definitely not because anything was lacking. They only have so many spots to interview applicants and want to get good people within reason. Why interview a guy with a really low probability of actually going to your program?

Yeah, I didn't get an interview at a couple of places that were by all estimations considerably less competitive than others in the same cities where I got interviews. Leaves you scratching your head but I think this might be part of the issue.

Just as applicants don't want to only interview at places that might be "out of their league" for fear of going unmatched, programs don't want to interview too many applicants who might be "out of their league" for fear of going unfilled.

Yes just make a personalized PS for this program stating what in particular you like about their program (not just the city). And could always email the PD if it gets to be ~November and you haven't gotten an invite yet.

Lol

It's actually a very good strategy. Many programs won't interview people if they perceive they won't come to their region or are way above average. People apply to so many programs nowadays that program directors are well aware they have a huge amount of people applying to places as a backup.