Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You do not take the MCAT during your SMP, for starters.

Take the exam either before, or after. But only take the exam when you are 100% ready for it
the SMP I am currently in has a good reputation (the amount of students that make it into med school upon graduation seems quite high, good school connections) but it does not have its own medical school, have I hurt my future chances or am I totally spiraling and overthinking??

Members don't see this ad.

the SMP I am currently in has a good reputation (the amount of students that make it into med school upon graduation seems quite high, good school connections) but it does not have its own medical school, have I hurt my future chances or am I totally spiraling and overthinking??
You're overthinking

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Goro, you posted a very helpful reply to my post in the Non-Trad section a couple years ago and now that I've committed to reinvention via post-bacc or SMP I'm getting Analysis Paralysis. I have the following stats:

• 3.39 cGPA
  • 3.12 sGPA
  • 512 MCAT ( I took it in 2020, so I'll need to retake it anyway).
  • B.S. Biology 2010, went into research
  • B.S. Computer Science 2015, career switch to tech

My original pre-reqs were taken between 2006-2008, making them 15+ years old.

Anyway, I need to prove myself academically *now* and rather than just retake the one course I got a C- in (Ochem II) and then do an SMP, I'm thinking the right thing to do is actually retake all of them (instead of an SMP). The reason I'm leaning this way is partly due to this guide, as well as a recent podcast episode of OldPreMeds saying more schools are preferring them be within the last 5 years now. There are apparently formal post-baccs for this purpose as well, where the school's program includes advising and help with volunteering/shadowing opportunities.

On the other side though, I feel like a strong MCAT and an SMP that's partnered with a med school might be a better option and not make me feel like I'm starting from 0, having wasted all that time and money taking them back in the day. It would both make me feel like I'm moving forward, as well as taking challenging classes that are directly relevant to med school to show I can still hack it in my mid-30s. I know it's not a helpful mindset to dwell on past mistakes but it's still difficult!

This is a hard pill to swallow either way due to the cost, but between an SMP and another post-bacc what do you think is my best option? Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Goro, you posted a very helpful reply to my post in the Non-Trad section a couple years ago and now that I've committed to reinvention via post-bacc or SMP I'm getting Analysis Paralysis. I have the following stats:

• 3.39 cGPA
  • 3.12 sGPA
  • 512 MCAT ( I took it in 2020, so I'll need to retake it anyway).
  • B.S. Biology 2010, went into research
  • B.S. Computer Science 2015, career switch to tech

My original pre-reqs were taken between 2006-2008, making them 15+ years old.

Anyway, I need to prove myself academically *now* and rather than just retake the one course I got a C- in (Ochem II) and then do an SMP, I'm thinking the right thing to do is actually retake all of them (instead of an SMP). The reason I'm leaning this way is partly due to this guide, as well as a recent podcast episode of OldPreMeds saying more schools are preferring them be within the last 5 years now. There are apparently formal post-baccs for this purpose as well, where the school's program includes advising and help with volunteering/shadowing opportunities.

On the other side though, I feel like a strong MCAT and an SMP that's partnered with a med school might be a better option and not make me feel like I'm starting from 0, having wasted all that time and money taking them back in the day. It would both make me feel like I'm moving forward, as well as taking challenging classes that are directly relevant to med school to show I can still hack it in my mid-30s. I know it's not a helpful mindset to dwell on past mistakes but it's still difficult!

This is a hard pill to swallow either way due to the cost, but between an SMP and another post-bacc what do you think is my best option? Thank you for any advice.
I feel that if you retake all of the classic prereqs, Plus biochemistry, and ace them, that you should be able to be successful upon application and not need a special Masters program.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel that if you retake all of the classic prereqs, Plus biochemistry, and ace them, that you should be able to be successful upon application and not need a special Masters program.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goro, I have completed my post baac program for reinvention ( I basically just did a second degree program at a University). I wanted to know do I need to a M.S. Program? My GPA is still low. My stats:

1st degree B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies GPA 2.6

2nd degree B.S. Biology GPA 3.9

cGPA 3.2

sGPA 3.1

No MCAT

I was a Biology major at my first school but changed sometime between my sophomore/junior year. Some of my prerequisites were repeats but most of my upper level science classes were not. I have been advised if doing a M.S. program no Public Health degree but a hard science would need to be done.

Hi Goro, I have completed my post baac program for reinvention ( I basically just did a second degree program at a University). I wanted to know do I need to a M.S. Program? My GPA is still low. My stats:

cGPA 3.2

sGPA 3.1

No MCAT

I was a Biology major at my first school but changed sometime between my sophomore/junior year. Some of my prerequisites were repeats but most of my upper level science classes were not. I have been advised if doing a M.S. program no Public Health degree but a hard science would need to be done.
Reinvention is both upward trend and good MCAT. You've done the GPA portion now its time to do the MCAT portion. Good luck.

• Love

cGPA 3.2

sGPA 3.1

No MCAT

No need for an SMP!

cGPA 3.2

sGPA 3.1

No MCAT

I'm nontrad who had a similar cGPA when I applied. I'm also now an MD resident at a top program in a ROADS specialty.

Congratulations, you have successfully reinvented yourself.

The last step is to nail the MCAT. It is the punctuation at the end of your reinvention story. Make it an exclamation point, NOT a question mark.

You've got this!

• Care
Hi @Goro, thank you for this thread. Your advice has been really helpful. I’m currently finishing up my second semester in my DIY post-bacc and I’m wondering if I have shown growth (grade wise) from undergrad. My stats are as follows:

URM AA female
Graduated 2017 at grade deflating LAC (average GPA 3.25)

Freshman year GPA: 3.12
Sophomore year GPA: 2.77
Junior year GPA: 3.49
Senior year GPA: 3.83
Post bacc GPA: 4.0

Taking consideration of current grades:
AMCAS sGPA: 3.29
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.35
CGPA: 3.37

I have completed 11 credit hours (Anatomy, Immunology, Cell Biology) with 10 in progress (Biotechnology, Virology, Parasitology). My last final was today and I expect to get all As in these classes.

I would like to begin working on my ECs was I feel like they are lacking. Currently I have the following:

Non-Clincial Volunteering: ~70 (Food pantry ended after I graduated in 2017, would love to continue this this year)
Non-Clinical Employment: 1500 (Public Library Staff worker; Student worker while in undergrad (Freshman mentor & another job that may be personally identifying; worked a summer job as a teaching assistant)
Clinical Volunteer: 400 (Hospital Volunteering)
Research: 250 (Just a undergrad thesis)
Shadowing: None (which is my main reason why I’m questioning taking more classes)

I’m still working my public library job and it’s been difficult fitting in time to do volunteering and class as well, and I would like to have more time to devote to focusing on my ECs. Additionally, I would like to take the MCAT late Spring, which is another reason why I’m hesitating to take classes in the spring. Have I done the work to reinvent my GPA so I can work on MCAT/ECs or is there still lots to do?

Hi @Goro, thank you for this thread. Your advice has been really helpful. I’m currently finishing up my second semester in my DIY post-bacc and I’m wondering if I have shown growth (grade wise) from undergrad. My stats are as follows:

URM AA female
Graduated 2017 at grade deflating LAC (average GPA 3.25)

Freshman year GPA: 3.12
Sophomore year GPA: 2.77
Junior year GPA: 3.49
Senior year GPA: 3.83
Post bacc GPA: 4.0

Taking consideration of current grades:
AMCAS sGPA: 3.29
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.35
CGPA: 3.37

I have completed 11 credit hours (Anatomy, Immunology, Cell Biology) with 10 in progress (Biotechnology, Virology, Parasitology). My last final was today and I expect to get all As in these classes.

I would like to begin working on my ECs was I feel like they are lacking. Currently I have the following:

Non-Clincial Volunteering: ~70 (Food pantry ended after I graduated in 2017, would love to continue this this year)
Non-Clinical Employment: 1500 (Public Library Staff worker; Student worker while in undergrad (Freshman mentor & another job that may be personally identifying; worked a summer job as a teaching assistant)
Clinical Volunteer: 400 (Hospital Volunteering)
Research: 250 (Just a undergrad thesis)
Shadowing: None (which is my main reason why I’m questioning taking more classes)

I’m still working my public library job and it’s been difficult fitting in time to do volunteering and class as well, and I would like to have more time to devote to focusing on my ECs. Additionally, I would like to take the MCAT late Spring, which is another reason why I’m hesitating to take classes in the spring. Have I done the work to reinvent my GPA so I can work on MCAT/ECs or is there still lots to do?
With that strong SR year and the semester of post-bac, yes, I think that's enough reinvention. Good luck!

Hi @Goro! I was wondering if you could help me out with possible reinvention. I am a current applicant (MD + DO) and I'm mentally preparing myself for another cycle. I applied to 25 schools in total and I currently have 7 R's and 2 pre-II waitlists. I'm holding onto a tiny bit of hope but realistically, I know that I won't be getting any II's.

I have a 506 --> 510 MCAT, IA (non-substance use, non-cheating), and a very low 3.3 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa).

My gpa trend is as follows:
Freshman: 2.69 (20 credits)
Soph: 2.59 (30 credits)
Junior: 3.31 (20 credits)
Senior: 3.63 (40 credits)

1000+ clinical hours
800+ volunteering hours
100 wet lab hours
300 hours with tutoring and teaching
1000+ clinical research hours (400 hours at time of application, no pubs)

I mainly applied to service oriented MD schools and DO schools for this cycle. No love from any of them. I can't do much to change the IA (I completely owned up to it on my application), so I'm guessing its my GPA that's holding me back.

I really, really want to apply next cycle instead of waiting another two years because I'm already taking two gap years. Do you think it would count as an okay enough reinvention if I did about 15 credits of work at a community college, UNE Online or extension school, next semester? I'm just not in a place where I can spend thousands of dollars on extra classes or an SMP, so I'm hoping to stick to cheaper options like CC. I'm also working full time on night shifts but the bonus is that I get *a lot* of downtime at work. Please let me know what you think and thank you!

Hey, Personally I think that you need to broaden your range of schools if you didnt get any love this cycle. Also I think 25 schools is not enough for us who use reinvention when talking about both MD and DO apps.

I applied to 50 schools with love from 3 of them. My GPA was worse then yours but my reinvention had a higher GPA.

If you plan to reapply, continue the upward trend and cast a WIDE large net.

Hey, Personally I think that you need to broaden your range of schools if you didnt get any love this cycle. Also I think 25 schools is not enough for us who use reinvention when talking about both MD and DO apps.

I applied to 50 schools with love from 3 of them. My GPA was worse then yours but my reinvention had a higher GPA.

If you plan to reapply, continue the upward trend and cast a WIDE large net.
You’re absolutely right. Next cycle I’m going to get better LORs and apply mainly DO. I know MD is a very very far away dream for me, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re absolutely right. Next cycle I’m going to get better LORs and apply mainly DO. I know MD is a very very far away dream for me, unfortunately.
Not unfortunately, either route is fine. We had a neurosurgeon match from my DO school last year. Your destiny is highly dependent on YOU, not the two letters you get from medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Not unfortunately, either route is fine. We had a neurosurgeon match from my DO school last year. Your destiny is highly dependent on YOU, not the two letters you get from medical school.
Oh I have zero issues with MD versus DO. A doctor is a doctor. Not being able to apply MD just scares me because that means my school list is more limited and it hurts to think about spending thousands more just to not get in. It’s hard being premed and broke :(

The MCAT scores will hurt for MD, but being lgbtq will be plus, as a number of schools treat that as URM.
Hi Goro, could you point me toward such schools? Is there a list somewhere/any in particular you're aware of?
-a trans nontrad scribing in an HIV clinic

edited for spelling

If I take 30 credits of post bacc classes but half of them are retakes of "expired" courses that I did fine in (C or higher), will adcoms look at those differently? Do I need to take 30 credits of upper level work only? I want to apply to some schools that have a expiration on how old prerequisite courses can be.

If I take 30 credits of post bacc classes but half of them are retakes of "expired" courses that I did fine in (C or higher), will adcoms look at those differently? Do I need to take 30 credits of upper level work only? I want to apply to some schools that have a expiration on how old prerequisite courses can be.
If you ask the schools, they should tell you. I would argue in favor of looking at the most recent academic record over what you did in grade 3.

First off, a big thank you to Goro, Mr. Smile12 and others for the invaluable advice that you've shared on this thread. To others who have reinvented themselves, thank you for also sharing your experiences so others can learn.

I'm an older (later-30s) non-traditional applicant who's in a bit of a unique situation, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

When I was in undergrad, I never thought I'd be applying to med school. One decade and several major life events later, I decided that becoming a doctor was the only thing I really wanted to do with my life. I began a DIY post-bac, and as I was getting started my wife and I lost our son. After our loss, my wife decided becoming a doctor was also her calling. We put all our resources and efforts into getting her into medical school, and she was successful in securing a seat in a medical school in NC.

During her journey, I continued to take post-bac classes. I'm Active Duty military and in a specialty that frequently deploys. I'm normally home for 11 months and then gone for 6. COVID also threw a wrench in some of my in-person classes (I had to withdraw from an OChem and Biochem class at a CC when the military recalled me from training in DC to Bragg...I've taken OChem 1 and 2 along with Biochem 1 and 2 with A's since). When I returned from my last deployment, I informed my command that medical school was my goal. This took me off the deployment rotation and allowed me to earn my Masters in Biomedical Engineering. I've been working as a civilian 911 Paramedic, I have some research (no publications, and it's a bit unique...since it's field and not lab based). I have some volunteering as well.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad (United States Military at West Point): 3.22 cum and 3.37 sGPA. Majored in International Relations and International Law (F:3.44, S: 3.28, J: 3.22, S: 3.22). (I've got a lot of ECs, but I don't know if I should list them on my AMCAS app...because they feel like they were a lifetime ago).
Post-bac: 4.0 (32 credits)
MS in BME: 3.99 (30 credits)
MCAT: Scheduled for mid-April. (I'm a bit concerned since my last two FLs were mid-500s...I'm working to bring this up).

My specific questions:
-When trying to determine which schools to apply to, how will prospective schools gauge my undergraduate vs post-bac and masters GPAs?
-How will ADCOMs react to my W's?

-Since my wife is a med student at an NC school, I'm limited to NC schools. Yes, I know I can apply elsewhere. I plan on applying broadly (and outside of NC), but I'd like to keep the family together as much as possible. Does anyone have specific advice for Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, ECU, or Campbell? How realistic am I being with this school list given my stats?

Thank you for your time and advice!

First off, a big thank you to Goro, Mr. Smile12 and others for the invaluable advice that you've shared on this thread. To others who have reinvented themselves, thank you for also sharing your experiences so others can learn.

I'm an older (later-30s) non-traditional applicant who's in a bit of a unique situation, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

When I was in undergrad, I never thought I'd be applying to med school. One decade and several major life events later, I decided that becoming a doctor was the only thing I really wanted to do with my life. I began a DIY post-bac, and as I was getting started my wife and I lost our son. After our loss, my wife decided becoming a doctor was also her calling. We put all our resources and efforts into getting her into medical school, and she was successful in securing a seat in a medical school in NC.

During her journey, I continued to take post-bac classes. I'm Active Duty military and in a specialty that frequently deploys. I'm normally home for 11 months and then gone for 6. COVID also threw a wrench in some of my in-person classes (I had to withdraw from an OChem and Biochem class at a CC when the military recalled me from training in DC to Bragg...I've taken OChem 1 and 2 along with Biochem 1 and 2 with A's since). When I returned from my last deployment, I informed my command that medical school was my goal. This took me off the deployment rotation and allowed me to earn my Masters in Biomedical Engineering. I've been working as a civilian 911 Paramedic, I have some research (no publications, and it's a bit unique...since it's field and not lab based). I have some volunteering as well.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad (United States Military at West Point): 3.22 cum and 3.37 sGPA. Majored in International Relations and International Law (F:3.44, S: 3.28, J: 3.22, S: 3.22). (I've got a lot of ECs, but I don't know if I should list them on my AMCAS app...because they feel like they were a lifetime ago).
MCAT: Scheduled for mid-April. (I'm a bit concerned since my last two FLs were mid-500s...I'm working to bring this up).

My specific questions:
-When trying to determine which schools to apply to, how will prospective schools gauge my undergraduate vs post-bac and masters GPAs?

-Since my wife is a med student at an NC school, I'm limited to NC schools. Yes, I know I can apply elsewhere. I plan on applying broadly (and outside of NC), but I'd like to keep the family together as much as possible. Does anyone have specific advice for Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, ECU, or Campbell? How realistic am I being with this school list given my stats?

Thank you for your time and advice!

I'm not Goro. He likes pigeons less than I do. I was a late career changing non-trad with a similar path to yours (low gpa, high post-bac gpa, high MCAT, interesting life experience).

I want to address a few things on your post:

-List your ECs. Especially if they are interesting. I don't care if they are old if they are interesting.
-Your Undergrad gpa are better than mine was, and I didn't attend West Point
-Your military service is huge. That displays a maturity and a work ethic that very few early 20s applicants have.
-Your post bac GPA is the definition of reinvention. Sure you were a 3.2 student. But you were a 4.0 student when it mattered.
-Get that MCAT up. I like to say it's the punctuation at the end of your reinvention story. Make sure it is an exclamation point and not a question mark.
-I work in the Southeast. Of your listed schools Wake and Campbell are your best bets. Wake is open to reinvention and DO schools generally are much more receptive to it. Apply to all of them and consider expanding. Even if you could expand to VA, SC, GA and TN it would give you more options. Geographic limitations are working against you, but I get it.
-Good luck. I had a non-trad former Ranger as an AI this past year. Fantastic med student. Guy beat me to work every shift. Worked hard, was eager to learn, got an line with a neurosurgeon breathing down his neck, and didn't even want to do my specialty.

I'm not Goro. He likes pigeons less than I do. I was a late career changing non-trad with a similar path to yours (low gpa, high post-bac gpa, high MCAT, interesting life experience).

I want to address a few things on your post:

-List your ECs. Especially if they are interesting. I don't care if they are old if they are interesting.
-Your Undergrad gpa are better than mine was, and I didn't attend West Point
-Your military service is huge. That displays a maturity and a work ethic that very few early 20s applicants have.
-Your post bac GPA is the definition of reinvention. Sure you were a 3.2 student. But you were a 4.0 student when it mattered.
-Get that MCAT up. I like to say it's the punctuation at the end of your reinvention story. Make sure it is an exclamation point and not a question mark.
-I work in the Southeast. Of your listed schools Wake and Campbell are your best bets. Wake is open to reinvention and DO schools generally are much more receptive to it. Apply to all of them and consider expanding. Even if you could expand to VA, SC, GA and TN it would give you more options. Geographic limitations are working against you, but I get it.
-Good luck. I had a non-trad former Ranger as an AI this past year. Fantastic med student. Guy beat me to work every shift. Worked hard, was eager to learn, got an line with a neurosurgeon breathing down his neck, and didn't even want to do my specialty.
HoldTheMayo,

Thank you for your advice and the quick response! I don't know what you've got against mayo...that stuff is sandwich gold. And, I may not share your sentiments about sky rats.... One of the reasons why I don't really want to go to med school in NYC.

I like your advice on ECs. They help tell my story. I might event include that one semester where I was a radio DJ... Rumor has it that the radio antenna was broken, so I don't know if anyone ever heard me on air. Not my most meaningful experience in anyway, but it's unique. Most of my ECs involved stuff like Model UN and putting on social science conferences for the Academy.

I just got back from a POCUS course at the Medical College of Georgia. The program fellows were great, and so were some of the few med students I was able to interact with during scans. Their OOS interview rate (2.6%) gives me pause. I agree with you though, I need to continue to build out my list of potential schools.

I'm in my dedicated MCAT study window now. I'm shooting for a 515. I was scheduled to test mid-March, but I decided to delay a month because I wasn't happy with my last FL score. If I'm not scoring higher by the end of March, I might take one more delay to mid May.

How was your experience as a late career changer in anesthesiology? Anesthesiology is one of my top desired specialties. The field seems like it combines some of my favorite paramedic interventions with the academic theories I love nerding out on as a technical diver (who doesn't love the Meyer-Overton correlation, right?).

Last edited:
Here are my stats:
List the ones that you feel are the most meaningful to you, and the most recent
Do NOT take the mCAT until you are 100% ready for it.
My specific questions:
You can't think about this until you have an MCAT score in hand. Your state MD schools should be at the top of the list though.
No one will care.

Without an MCAT score, you're jumping the gun. But I'd rule out Duke unless you score something >513

Hey @Goro thanks for the thread, your advice has been awesome!

I previously asked this on another thread but wanted to get your input as well. I am in the midst of a post-bacc for GPA repair and have completed about 30 credits--do you think given my current trend and GPAs have I shown reinvention and would it be worth it to still take more credits? or should I just focus on the MCAT and extracurriculars now?

My GPAs by year:

YearCredits taken during the yearcGPAsGPA
Dual Enrollment162.832.83
Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc303.984.0

Current cGPA: 3.40
Current sGPA: 3.37

I also have a Master's degree I took in between my current post-bacc and senior year for a graduate gpa of 3.84 (Biomedical engineering), completely separate from the above.

The main thing I guess I could aim for would be getting the sGPA over 3.4 since I'd imagine that may or may not clear some filters in the process for some schools. I would need about 31 more credits of As to get a cGPA over 3.5 so that wouldn't be ideal due to time + money considerations.

I previously asked this on another thread but wanted to get your input as well. I am in the midst of a post-bacc for GPA repair and have completed about 30 credits--do you think given my current trend and GPAs have I shown reinvention and would it be worth it to still take more credits? or should I just focus on the MCAT and extracurriculars now?

My GPAs by year:

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc303.984.0

I also have a Master's degree I took in between my current post-bacc and senior year for a graduate gpa of 3.84 (Biomedical engineering), completely separate from the above.

The main thing I guess I could aim for would be getting the sGPA over 3.4 since I'd imagine that may or may not clear some filters in the process for some schools. I would need about 31 more credits of As to get a cGPA over 3.5 so that wouldn't be ideal due to time + money considerations.

It’s no longer about the overall GPA. I would say with a solid MCAT you have shown reinvention. Cast a wide net and apply smartly to schools that won’t screen you.

Edit: As long as you score well on the MCAT.

I previously asked this on another thread but wanted to get your input as well. I am in the midst of a post-bacc for GPA repair and have completed about 30 credits--do you think given my current trend and GPAs have I shown reinvention?
Answer is YES!!! Not just yes.

Great job!!!!

My GPAs by year:

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc303.984.0

MD who dug themselves out of a much deeper hole than this.

Congratulations, you have reinvented yourself. That's what it looks like.

Focus on your MCAT.

It is the punctuation at the end of your reinvention story. Make sure it is an exclamation point and not a question mark. If so, you're going to do just fine.

Reactions: 4 users
You're on the right track!!!
My recent A proves that you were correct, my first attempt at college was talked about but not in a negative way, more in a "what's made you different from then to now?". I ultimately ended up with a pretty mid MCAT (but it was good enough for at least 1 MD school!), but the GPA reinvention worked. Thank you for the help over the years, I mainly used this thread and other comments to guide my path.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks to everyone for the input! Just finished my last remaining med school prereqs as of today and thankfully I was able to get all A's in the orgo 2 and biochem classes this semester and raise my grades a bit further.

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc403.984.0

Current cGPA: 3.44 (technically 3.437 but I believe amcas rounds to the closest hundredth)
Current sGPA: 3.43

I realize the feedback so far is that this is enough reinvention, but I suppose my question given these new grades is that is there a significant enough difference between 3.4x GPAs and 3.5x GPAs in the eyes of adcoms of how your app is perceived that would warrant taking just a few more classes to get past the 3.5x GPA threshold, or at least making it worth considering considering how close I am? Would especially appreciate advice from @Goro @Calizboosted76 and @holdthemayo on this especially given my grade trend.

Thanks to everyone for the input! Just finished my last remaining med school prereqs as of today and thankfully I was able to get all A's in the orgo 2 and biochem classes this semester and raise my grades a bit further.

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc403.984.0

Current cGPA: 3.44 (technically 3.437 but I believe amcas rounds to the closest hundredth)

I realize the feedback so far is that this is enough reinvention, but I suppose my question given these new grades is that is there a significant enough difference between 3.4x GPAs and 3.5x GPAs in the eyes of adcoms of how your app is perceived that would warrant taking just a few more classes to get past the 3.5x GPA threshold, or at least making it worth considering considering how close I am? Would especially appreciate advice from @Goro @Calizboosted76 and @holdthemayo on this especially given my grade trend.
I'm not who you tagged but given your trend and your last 77 credits being nearly a 4.0, I think your time would be much, much better spent focusing on studying for the MCAT and crushing that. Whatever tiny bump your GPA would get from a few more classes would mean very little compared to your MCAT. I can't imagine anyone truly cares about a 3.50 versus a 3.44, certainly not enough to devote more thousands of dollars and 6 more months of your life for it. Also, it took you 10 credits to go from 3.40 to 3.437. You'd need what, ~20+ more all at an A to get to 3.5? Not worth it.

Last edited:
I'm not who you tagged but given your trend and your last 77 credits being nearly a 4.0, I think your time would be much, much better spent focusing on studying for the MCAT and crushing that. Whatever tiny bump your GPA would get from a few more classes would mean very little compared to your MCAT. I can't imagine anyone truly cares about a 3.50 versus a 3.44, certainly not enough to devote more thousands of dollars and 6 more months of your life for it. Also, it took you 10 credits to go from 3.40 to 3.437. You'd need what, ~20+ more all at an A to get to 3.5? Not worth it.
I agree with this sage counsel 1000%!

OP, the past three years have shown reinvention. MCAT willing, you should apply as if your GPAs are ~3.9-4.0

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc403.984.0

I agree with the above. In my eyes there would be no point in trying to get to the 3.5 range. There is a difference in applicants who are sub 3.0 and sub 3.5, in the ones who are sub 3.0 the vast majority of schools will filter their applications out. This is not something that will happen at many schools just for being under 3.5. The GPA trend is there and you will do well as long as you are able to score well on the MCAT. Dedicate the time to tame the this test. Congratulations on turning your grades around and good luck!

Freshman29.52.9542.8
sophomore352.8862.8
Junior213.6763.8
Senior373.94.0
post-bacc403.984.0

I completely agree with everything that has been said. Your grades for the last three years have shown that you have what it takes academically to succeed in medical school. Adding another .06 to your GPA isn't going to change that in any meaningful way.

Hunker down and focus on the MCAT. Based on your grades, I have no doubt you have what it takes to get a good score. Study hard and don't take it until you are confident you will get the score you want.

Congratulations on the hard work!