Goro's guide to DO school interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly thats what I would consider the correct answer? I mean we have no clue what he would end up using that money on. There are countless studies proving that peoples first impressions on people are incorrect a majority of the time. I would give him the $5. If he spent it on food, then great, I helped another human being. If he used it on alcohol, then there is nothing I can do. I didnt put the bottle in his hand, however I provided him with the chance of success and opportunity and he was the one that ruined the opportunity.

That would be ridiculous to be rejected for something as silly as that.
I met 2 more people that got rejected for similar answers. The correct answer is "I would take him to the fast food place or buy him the food and give it to him."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Fair enough, that makes sense. Still feels kind of silly, but what do I know.
If you think that's silly wait until you get in and get points deducted for not repeating the standarized patient's preferred name more than once throughout the conversation or losing points because you didn't do "reflective listening" where you basically just repeat what the SP said. There is a lot stuff in medical school that isn't exactly sensible to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too many people in general pretend to act all honest and ethical but behind the scenes they have incredibly crappy morals. Report your wife for running a red light.. I mean cmon who would really do that LOL.

Big Brother is watching you.

How about gift cards to food places?

This one time my friend and I were eating pizza near campus and a homeless guy came up and asked for money. We didn't have any cash, but we told him he was welcome to some pizza. He then started swearing at us and complaining why we offered him food instead of money. :confused:

Big Brother is watching you.

This one time my friend and I were eating pizza near campus and a homeless guy came up and asked for money. We didn't have any cash, but we told him he was welcome to some pizza. He then started swearing at us and complaining why we offered him food instead of money. :confused:

I had a similar experience giving out gift cards. However its a good interview response.

You guys don't seem to realize that many questions like these have no correct answer.

For example, it's OK to give the beggar the $5, and it's OK not to. Just be able to articulate your justifications for your decisions.

Honestly thats what I would consider the correct answer? I mean we have no clue what he would end up using that money on. There are countless studies proving that peoples first impressions on people are incorrect a majority of the time. I would give him the $5. If he spent it on food, then great, I helped another human being. If he used it on alcohol, then there is nothing I can do. I didnt put the bottle in his hand, however I provided him with the chance of success and opportunity and he was the one that ruined the opportunity.

That would be ridiculous to be rejected for something as silly as that.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys don't seem to realize that many questions like these have no correct answer.

For example, it's OK to give the beggar the $5, and it's OK not to. Just be able to articulate your justifications for your decisions.

Thanks for your input Goro, and this is the "real answer." Since people don't realize there is a confidentiality contract with the medical school when talking about these MMI scenarios, I will say again best not to talk about them.

I had this question before and said no. I gave three alternative solutions to help the veteran out. I would have said two of them even if I encounter such a person in real life.

I'm still giving the card lol.

Reactions: 1 user
The lesson for these interviews is pretty much this, there is no one right answer but there are definitely wrong answers.

Reactions: 2 users
what kind of questions do you guys usually ask the interviewers? I have an interview this weekend and I'm trying to come up with questions to ask like why did you choose this school or how's the social life among peers, but I'm worried I might ask something too personal or something that I should have been able to get by reading their website.

Everything I've posted here applies, but a few additions are below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goro’s-guide-to-interviews.1097033/#post-15658660

Everything on the other post holds true, but you also need to show that you know something about Osteopathy. Please don’t simply parrot what you read on Wiki, there’s more to it than that. Those people who have shadowed DOs and compared and contrasted them to MDs will know what I mean.

You will need to articulate the reasons of “Why Osteopathy”, and “why our school”, because the curriculum will be pretty much the same wherever you go (but the delivery will be different).

Do NOT bash MDs. Some of your interviewers will be MDs, or married to them. If you’ve had poor experiences with allopathic medicine, that’s OK to discuss.

If you’ve seen OMM or OMT in action, that’s a plus.

If you’ve shadowed a DO, that’s a plus.

If you have a DO in the family, that’s a plus.

Be serious about this as your career choice. Don’t look back. If you really want to go to an MD school, well, go for an MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really agree with you on this - it is a choice, a preference, a professional career decision to become a DO. It is not a second choice for me.

Reactions: 3 users
What about political questions? Do you expect us to know everything related to health care?

You should have an idea of what you're getting into and at least know something about Medicine in the US today. I don't expect you to go on about reimbursement rates, but at least show us some evidence you've read something.

What about political questions? Do you expect us to know everything related to health care?

Reactions: 3 users
what kind of questions do you guys usually ask the interviewers? I have an interview this weekend and I'm trying to come up with questions to ask like why did you choose this school or how's the social life among peers, but I'm worried I might ask something too personal or something that I should have been able to get by reading their website.

You're right in not wanting to ask questions that could easily be answered via the website. However, say there's a unique program that you're very interested in participating in, you could pose a follow-up like, "I read about X program on the school's website and I am very interested in participating. Generally, how many students are allowed to participate, and how would you suggest students prepare for it?" Obviously you'd want to word it better, but hopefully you get the idea.

At my interview, I was given no prior info as to who was interviewing me. So when time came for questions, I first asked if they studied/trained at that particular medical school, and what made them either stay at the school or later join the school as a faculty member. Just those questions alone got the interviewers talking and conversational, and you can then ask follow-up questions based on their backgrounds and interests. I also asked about any student-support services and advising/mentoring that exists at the school. Anything else that you're interested in knowing more about, just ask...don't fret about it too much. :)

@Goro, what do you perceive as a "good enough" reason to want to be an osteopathic physician?

If am I being completely honest, I just want to be a doctor and don't especially care if its MD or DO. I have borderline stats so I am applying to both. That is obviously not something I will disclose, I guess, but I am struggling as to what other direction to go in. I do like the focus on health as opposed to disease and the enhanced patient communication, but those sound cliche.

My primary care doctor from ages 15 through ~21 was a D.O. and I liked him a lot, is that something I should mention? I don't think I really liked him because he was a DO, I think he was just a good guy and a good doctor...

He did do some OMT on me a few times, right after I started college and working in a lab and was getting a lot of neck and back pain. Should I mention that as well? I am trying to avoid personal anecdotes about illness and such, I feel that they come off as sappy and potentially insincere.

If you’ve shadowed a DO, that’s a plus.

Getting letters from a DO seems to basically be a requirement now for ~25 schools. I do know some help you get the letter, but it's obviously less of a PITA for all involved if we just get it beforehand.

Getting letters from a DO seems to basically be a requirement now for ~25 schools. I do know some help you get the letter, but it's obviously less of a PITA for all involved if we just get it beforehand.
you cant say basically a requirement if most schools do not list it as a requirement. It is recommended. Just like anatomy is a recommended class.

you cant say basically a requirement if most schools do not list it as a requirement. It is recommended. Just like anatomy is a recommended class.

If something is unwrittenly expected, it is "basically required" as they wouldn't give you much second thought without it.

If something is unwrittenly expected, it is "basically required" as they wouldn't give you much second thought without it.
Not everyone has the ability to shadow a DO...some are unwilling to allow shadows, some are not in the person's area, etc. Afterall, DO's are only recently gaining prominence and their #'s are much lower than MD's. My area for example is only MD while I hear Michigan has many many practicing DO's.

Not everyone has the ability to shadow a DO...some are unwilling to allow shadows, some are not in the person's area, etc. Afterall, DO's are only recently gaining prominence and their #'s are much lower than MD's. My area for example is only MD while I hear Michigan has many many practicing DO's.

In that case, as everyone has said, I would explain your situation clearly and with thought. I would still shadow MD. If they question that, or even ask "Why DO" you might be able to use your experience watching an MD as a reason to choose your other path.

It's a plus at the majority of the schools. If I remember correctly only a handful of schools actually require DO letters. MD letters can suffice but DO letters can help.

It's a plus at the majority of the schools. If I remember correctly only a handful of schools actually require DO letters. MD letters can suffice but DO letters can help.

Yeah just did a run through CIB and you're right. Vast majority don't straight up require it. But it's strongly recommended at pretty much all of them, so it can't hurt. If you've got a DO you're currently shadowing, it's just wasteful not to ever pop the question.

Unfortunately for me, my strongest relationships seem to be with MD's :confused: There's just a lot more of them in general at the institution I shadow at.

Thanks Goro for the info. As a nontrad going back to school, I'm one of the few who is intrigued by the DO philosophy and is hoping to get into a DO program in the near future.

Tis not expressly DO, but... any interview can be turned around with one simple sincere question. When its your turn at the end, sincerely say... Your opinion is vital to my future, did any of my responses underwhelm you? Can I expand on any of my answers and gain your support?

Ok how about this one then? @Goro

What if I am at a DO school group interview and everyone is asked the same question? What if the person going before me answers along the lines of what I would have said?

Do I need to come up with another answer that I dont believe in as strongly in an effort to not sound like a fake copy cat or Do I stay strong and just answer the question sincerely anyways?

I'm still giving the card lol.

The card is honestly the best solution. A homeless person is not going to opt out of using a food card just because he cant use it on alcohol.

What if I am at a DO school group interview and everyone is asked the same question? What if the person going before me answers along the lines of what I would have said?

Do I need to come up with another answer that I dont believe in as strongly in an effort to not sound like a fake copy cat or Do I stay strong and just answer the question sincerely anyways?

I'm no Goro, but if I was in this situation I would say something like "I have to agree with my colleague here that _____ is the way to go. I might add that ______ as well."

It's not (exactly) a zero sum game.

I'm no Goro, but if I was in this situation I would say something like "I have to agree with my colleague here that _____ is the way to go. I might add that ______ as well."

It's not (exactly) a zero sum game.

Yea, that seems like a fairly professional way to go about it.

Just answer from the heart.

@Goro

I have a quick question concerning Thank You e-mails. I recently had two interviews at both LECOM campuses (Bradenton 8/7) and (Erie 8/14) and both were group interviews with 2 interviewers and 6 interviewees, myself included. I had not thought to write them Thank You notes or send Thank You e-mails because it was a group interview and there were two of them, so my question is, would it be too late now to send them Thank You e-mails? And will it affect my acceptance at all if I don't? Also I am unable to find the e-mail addresses of the two interviewers of my Erie campus interview.

@Goro

I have a quick question concerning Thank You e-mails. I recently had two interviews at both LECOM campuses (Bradenton 8/7) and (Erie 8/14) and both were group interviews with 2 interviewers and 6 interviewees, myself included. I had not thought to write them Thank You notes or send Thank You e-mails because it was a group interview and there were two of them, so my question is, would it be too late now to send them Thank You e-mails? And will it affect my acceptance at all if I don't? Also I am unable to find the e-mail addresses of the two interviewers of my Erie campus interview.

@Goro

You can if you want. I am pretty sure that they have already decided if they should accept you by now. At my LECOM-B interview, the director said they have a committee meeting every week.

You can if you want. I am pretty sure that they have already decided if they should accept you by now. At my LECOM-B interview, the director said they have a committee meeting every week.
Thank you for the reply! I do remember the director at LECOM-B saying the same thing as well, that they meet every Tuesday or some other day. If they have decided, will they update our status on the LECOM page? Both of mine still say under review by the admissions committee post interview. And at this point I probably won't send them but make a note to send them after future interviews. Thanks again!

While I am still annoyed that both of my nieces have yet to write me a thank you note for their wedding presents, in Admissions, for the gazillionth time, no one cares about thank you notes.

By the time you send them, unless you run out of the interview room and immediately email them, the interviewers will have already scored you and submitted their recommendations.

Personally, I throw the written ones away, but perversely, will acknowledge (briefly) an emailed one.

@Goro

While I am still annoyed that both of my nieces have yet to write me a thank you note for their wedding presents, in Admissions, for the gazillionth time, no one cares about thank you notes.

By the time you send them, unless you run out of the interview room and immediately email them, the interviewers will have already scored you and submitted their recommendations.

Personally, I throw the written ones away, but perversely, will acknowledge (briefly) an emailed one.
Thank you and honestly this is a relief to hear. I'll most likely send them in the future, but I'm glad to know it won't harm my chances for these past interviews. On a side note, I have sent a follow up e-mail to the Admissions Committee for both schools stating my recent acceptance as a Medical Scribe as well as my enrollment in classes to fulfill missing requirements, which I thought would show my interest for these schools.

Don't bother with the updates; send them the grades once you finish the required classes.

Thank you and honestly this is a relief to hear. I'll most likely send them in the future, but I'm glad to know it won't harm my chances for these past interviews. On a side note, I have sent a follow up e-mail to the Admissions Committee for both schools stating my recent acceptance as a Medical Scribe as well as my enrollment in classes to fulfill missing requirements, which I thought would show my interest for these schools.

Don't bother with the updates; send them the grades once you finish the required classes.
Alright, I'll make sure to do that. They are on-line classes since I'm post-grad and thankfully I'll be able to send them the grades relatively quickly. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply! I do remember the director at LECOM-B saying the same thing as well, that they meet every Tuesday or some other day. If they have decided, will they update our status on the LECOM page? Both of mine still say under review by the admissions committee post interview. And at this point I probably won't send them but make a note to send them after future interviews. Thanks again!

No they will not update the status. At my interview, and probably at yours, you chose either october 1st or november 15th to find out. I think they decide and then keep the decision in your file until then

No they will not update the status. At my interview, and probably at yours, you chose either october 1st or november 15th to find out. I think they decide and then keep the decision in your file until then
Yeah they did discuss that but I remember the director stating that they would let people know if they were rejected or waitlisted earlier than the date they chose, most likely through e-mail, just because they don't believe in waiting until that day to deliver that type of news.

Yeah they did discuss that but I remember the director stating that they would let people know if they were rejected or waitlisted earlier than the date they chose, most likely through e-mail, just because they don't believe in waiting until that day to deliver that type of news.

He said something like that but not exactly. If they did that then you would know you were probably accepted if you didnt hear back before your date.
What I remember: he said they would let you know on october 1st if you were rejected even if you selected the november 15th date

He said something like that but not exactly. If they did that then you would know you were probably accepted if you didnt hear back before your date.
What I remember: he said they would let you know on october 1st if you were rejected even if you selected the november 15th date
Hmm maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. I thought it worked that way for both dates. Well either way I've selected Early Decision for both LECOMs so only one more month.

I've read a hundred times that it is very important to know your application like the back of your hand, but what exactly is meant by this? Should I try to think of questions that one might ask about each experience (ex. What was most challenging about XXX? What did you learn from YYY?)?

Last edited:
For starters, you should know where you did your UG schooling at.

You should remember what you did in any research experience. Ditto your volunteering. If I asked "what did you learn from working at the summer camp?" or, "what was your most meaningful patient interaction at the hospice?", you should be able to come up with an articulate answer.

I'm not going to expect you to remember who your Spanish 2 professor was.

You're the one writing your app...shouldn't you know what's in it??

I've read a hundred times that it is very important to know your application like the back of your hand, but what exactly is meant by this? Should I try to think of questions that one might ask about each experience (ex. What was most challenging about XXX? What did you learn from YYY?)?

For starters, you should know where you did your UG schooling at.

You should remember what you did in any research experience. Ditto your volunteering. If I asked "what did you learn from working at the summer camp?" or, "what was your most meaningful patient interaction at the hospice?", you should be able to come up with an articulate answer.

I'm not going to expect you to remember who your Spanish 2 professor was.

You're the one writing your app...shouldn't you know what's in it??
Thank you for responding. I understand what you're saying and I agree, these are the types of questions that I would assume one would be able to answer off of the top of their head, so I'm confused when I repeatedly see people saying things like "study your app". Thank you for the clarification.

Hello @Goro,

How well-versed should we be regarding the current political climate of healthcare (i.e. Obamacare)? I had a mock interview with a professor who conducts MD interviews and he advised that I should be somewhat aware. Should I be expecting some time spent on questions regarding the healthcare system in a DO one?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question.