Got a 514 without having finished prereqs. Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gandalfthegrey127

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the mcat before I was totally prepared because I wanted to be considered by a certain grad program for this cycle (ended up deciding to not even apply to that program for financial reasons). Anyways, I ended up getting a 514 (Bio:128, Physical:125, Verbal:131, Psych:130). I was pretty psyched by my score, but now I'm wondering if I should retake after I've finished all of my prereqs. Not sure that it matters to this question but my GPA is pretty mediocre (3.52, with an absolutely terrible first semester)

For reference, I'm currently in my last semester of undergrad and am taking Ochem II, Physics II, and Biochem.
 
No real point in retaking - you're just over the 90th percentile mark. Congrats - focus on your other ECs and writing a strong PS (and finish strong in those last few pre-reqs - though your GPA most likely won't significantly jump). Apply wide and you should have a successful application cycle.
 
I would love not to retake, but I know if I didn't I would be leaving points on the table. Do you think that those points don't matter much? I know that at a certain point you get into diminishing returns, but I find it hard to believe that a 518+ doesn't look way better than a 514. Then again most people I've talked to have said I shouldn't retake.. Idk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMO, you shouldn't retake a 514. You should be more worried about raising your GPA at this point.

I've taken over 120 hours, so that would be really hard. I decided to pursue medicine during my senior year of college, took all the science classes post bac, got As in all of them, and it's only raised my GPA from 3.42 to 3.52
 
I would love not to retake, but I know if I didn't I would be leaving points on the table. Do you think that those points don't matter much? I know that at a certain point you get into diminishing returns, but I find it hard to believe that a 518+ doesn't look way better than a 514. Then again most people I've talked to have said I shouldn't retake.. Idk

A 518 will not look that much better than a 514. If you retake you run the risk of scoring lower which then makes the adcom question your judgement. The only way you retake a 514 is if you get a 527 - which would be highly unlikely. The points being left on the table become negligible once you break the 90th percentile threshold. Like I said, your GPA can only improve a bit (it's not bad, just slightly lower than the avg), so focus on the components of your application that can be improved (ECs and PS).
 
I think that the chance I would do worse is very small considering my MCAT is unbalanced in the areas I was missing coursework. But the general consensus here and elsewhere has been that my time would be better spent on other things. Maybe I'm just caught up in being a perfectionist. No need to be an Azula I guess
 
I think that the chance I would do worse is very small considering my MCAT is unbalanced in the areas I was missing coursework. But the general consensus here and elsewhere has been that my time would be better spent on other things. Maybe I'm just caught up in being a perfectionist. No need to be an Azula I guess
Why ask for advice when it seems you are set on retaking??? Its a bad idea but follow your heart and live with the consequences
 
Goal of MCAT is to get interviews and gain acceptance to medschool. Retake if you're aiming for schools with similar MCAT scores or to broaden your options. Don't retake if your state schools have similar median scores (which you already know you're above the curve btw). It also looks super silly even if you scored well the 2nd time, as many of the adcoms here have reiterated in the past.
 
If CARS were your lowest score I'd definitely consider retaking as some schools have thresholds (heard a variety of numbers), but due to the fact you absolutely killed that section I would say applying with a lower chem/phys score will not cause you to be rejected anywhere on that alone.
 
Please God do not retake a 514. That score is very good (many would kill for it), and it will in no way hinder your path into medical school. On the other hand, retaking and scoring the same or below - which is a high probability given the published stats on retakes - could hurt you.

'Leaving points on the table' is the smart choice here. If you want to hear it from those-in-the-know, make a thread in the "What Are My Chances?" subforum of pre-allo. I guarantee the adcoms will give you the same advice we all are giving you.
 
I'm going to go with the unpopular answer here and say that it depends on what your goals are. If you're just trying to get into any decent medical school, DON'T RETAKE!!

However, if you are 1) confident you're able to score 520+ on a retake AND 2) aiming for top 10 schools, then I would say go ahead and retake it. Your GPA coupled with a 514 is substantially below average at many top schools like WashU/Pritzker, so retaking for a 520+ would definitely boost your chances.
 
I'm going to go with the unpopular answer here and say that it depends on what your goals are. If you're just trying to get into any decent medical school, DON'T RETAKE!!

However, if you are 1) confident you're able to score 520+ on a retake AND 2) aiming for top 10 schools, then I would say go ahead and retake it. Your GPA coupled with a 514 is substantially below average at many top schools like WashU/Pritzker, so retaking for a 520+ would definitely boost your chances.

Can anyone really be confident they'll get a 520+ on a retake? I actually scored 520+ and I'm not sure I would get that again if I retook. Trying to improve chances at the top ten in this case is taking a huge risk. If the chips don't fall his way, he could end up screwing himself at schools where he is currently well positioned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad