Got a D in Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reform

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my first semester of college, I received a "D" in organic chemistry I, which was my only non-"A" grade for the semester. I am currently in my second semester of freshman year, and I am retaking the course in hopes to receive an "A". If I am successful in improving my score this semester, will I still have a good chance of being accepted into a medical school (MD), assuming I maintain high grades in my future courses? If so, are there particular steps I can take to decrease the impact of this score? Would I have to wait until after graduation to apply to med schools?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you do well the second time, you should be fine. You should be able to apply during senior year as long as all your prereqs are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If I am successful in improving my score this semester, will I still have a good chance of being accepted into a medical school (MD), assuming I maintain high grades in my future courses?
Yes.

If so, are there particular steps I can take to decrease the impact of this score?
Get good grades in future classes.

Would I have to wait until after graduation to apply to med schools?
No.

A single bad grade during your first semester won't hurt you one bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious: did you test out of, or receive credit for, general chemistry 1 and 2?

During my first semester of college, I received a "D" in organic chemistry I, which was my only non-"A" grade for the semester. I am currently in my second semester of freshman year, and I am retaking the course in hopes to receive an "A". If I am successful in improving my score this semester, will I still have a good chance of being accepted into a medical school (MD), assuming I maintain high grades in my future courses? If so, are there particular steps I can take to decrease the impact of this score? Would I have to wait until after graduation to apply to med schools?

Thank you in advance!

I'm curious how you tested out of gen. chem. 1 and 2. I've never been to a university that let you test out of these subjects. I also worry that your medical school application would still need these courses completed (did you do them in high school?).

I’m curious: did you test out of, or receive credit for, general chemistry 1 and 2?

I'm curious how you tested out of gen. chem. 1 and 2. I've never been to a university that let you test out of these subjects. I also worry that your medical school application would still need these courses completed (did you do them in high school?).

Yeah, I tested out of general chemistry 1, but not 2, which I plan on taking later. If I were to take a prerequisite such as gen. chem. 2 or calculus I at another college during the summer, would that be frowned upon by med schools? I am considering doing so because I want to make up for my lost credit hours last semester due to the retake.

By test out, do you mean AP credit?

Never heard of a college that lets you do OChem without the Gen Chem series as a prerequisite.

Reactions: 3 users
By test out, do you mean AP credit?

I did not receive AP credit, but I tested out from the placement test I took before beginning freshman year.

Never heard of a college that lets you do OChem without the Gen Chem series as a prerequisite.

Yeah, my college does not make it a prerequisite for organic chem, and many students who place out of gen. chem. 1 take organic chemistry here first.

-Some things to decrease the impact of the score: 1) Improve when you retake the course, A is preferable 2) Do well in other chem classes, and future classes in general 3) Score well on the MCAT, particularly in the Chem/Phys section since that has some orgo

-As for you taking courses at another college over the summer, that's fine as long as you have it succesfully transferred and it can be retrievable via transcripts. You'll have to add it to your AMCAS Application later on with that college and the college you attend.

****However, I am also concerned for you regarding testing out of gen chem 1. Some med schools (if not most) require you to take a full year (2 semesters) of Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 (unless there's some exceptions or substitutions for it?)

Side note: Med schools also require 2 semesters of Orgo, Physics, & Biology . . . But related to your situation: 2 semesters of Gen Chem is needed if I'm not mistaken.

If it’s not AP, you will likely need to take the course. I’m sure there are resources online that you can use to confirm. Either that or contact AMCAS, TMDSAS, AACOMAS.

I wouldn't worry about a single grade ruining your future career in medicine. I proudly have a 1.7 and 2.1 in pre-req classes that I never re-took and never had to explain. I just took loads of other science classes that balanced it out, made up for it in my MCAT scores, and am going to medical school in the fall. I'd like to believe that the people sitting on the admissions board are humans too and they understand that life happens sometimes!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to reply to your Gen Chem situation: Most schools require 2 years of chemistry, of which 1 semester of organic can be substituted with biochemistry.

So, if you placed out of general chemistry 1, you need to take gen chem 2, and then an upper level inorganic chemistry course in order to satisfy the requirements of most medical schools