Got a ticket for disorderly conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dptnewjersey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very stressed. I applied to pt schools this year and got accepted to a few.I made the deposits already and everything was fine because I have never had a criminal record. This week I got a ticket for disorderly conduct in nj. I got a lawyer and he is in the process of obtaining the police report they got on my incident. I am stressed because if convicted I will have a record with disorderly conduct. I don't know if me having a clean record can get my ticket reduced to a municipal ordinance. Can any one who has been in my situation or have knowledge with my circumstances tell me if this ticket will jeopardize my dpt school and career. Should I call the dpt program and report this to them. Will this affect my dpt license in the future? I am hoping to get it dismissed at best, reduced so it won't be on my record, and then go to trial and get convicted at worse. Should I tell the prosecutor this will jeopardize my career and would he even care? In know, a DC can be cleared in 5 years. FYI, I work at an elementary school and I told my bosses I got a DC and they didn't care...but that's bc they know my character. I'm afraid a DC so currently can be a sore to my application. I will try my best to get it reduced, but are there any ways I can convince the prosecutor to reduce it? So many questions, but its a lesson learned in life for me....but the most important question is again, will this jeopardize me going to pt school? And jeopardize me becoming a licensed pt?

Members don't see this ad.

Disorderly conduct isn't that big of a deal.

I also doubt the school will care about it, that's assuming it even comes up or they find out.

The only problem I see is that it may come up when a future employer does a background check. All you have to do is say you and some friends were celebrating and got carried away and you were younger.

I believe you have to have felon convictions before you start having problems with schools, licensure, and employment.

I second what Myosin said. I would add though to wait until you know the final outcome of your situation, and then immediately report it to your school(s) you applied to. Hopefully you learned your lesson, and that will be the end of it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys. I was having panic attacks all thanksgiving. Def gonna take a lesson out of this situation. Anway, I'm planning to call the cordinator of the program that I am to attend and be honest and tell her that I got a Ticket this past thankgiving holiday. since they are going to do a background check on me anyway, I might as well be proactive. Is this a good idea?

definitely, you want to tell them anything before they find it so it does not look like you are hiding anything.

Unless you're a convicted felon, you'll be fine. I would still be frank and tell the school. I think they would appreciate your honesty. If it comes up later, and you haven't told them, you're going to look dishonest and deceitful. It's going to come up in your background check anyway. Do you have a case? What were you doing that was considered" disorderly conduct?"

Kevin

Last edited:
I got to go to court in less then two weeks. I hired a lawyer to get my case dismissed or reduced to a non criminal charge so I don't get a record. I believe my chances are high to get it reduced since its my first offense and I have a lawyer.

Last edited:
Hi, so I pled guilty to Disturbing the Peace which is one lower then DC and paid a fine. I will have to do a mandatory background check again for a program so this incident is once again back in my mind. I know a few members on this forum are from school Admissions, so I wanted to ask these member if this Disturbing the Peace will jepordize my spot in the program. My lawyer told me this was a municiple ordinance violation but when I called the township they said it was a misdameanor. I don't know, but should I be worried? thanks ahead of time!

What class of misdemeanor did they say it was? For a little perspective, when I worked federal law enforcement a couple years back, parking tickets fell under Class B misdemeanors.

Sorry I didn't even asked that. I didnt even know a parking ticket was a misdemeanor. I just know in nj, a person can have a DTP if he has his music too loud at a park. I'm just a little scared because I never got a ticket besides traffic and parking violations. And when I was 12 for not wearing a bicycle helmet.

I think it differs per school what they want to look at, and I know it differs per state in terms of what shows up and how old it is (eg in NY if certain offenses are over 7 years old they won't show up).

My immediate thought is to tell the director and just be honest about whatever it was - "I was young and stupid" type thing, how you've changed, and that you hope it does not change their impression of you...something like that?

I hope someone else replies who is familiar with this stuff!

Reactions: 1 user