Got accepted to DO med school but waiting on MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinklemonade2121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an acceptance to a DO school and put a deposit down, however, an MD school emailed me stating that while not considered for admission this year, I could apply for their masters program which would give me guaranteed admission to their MD school. I was just wondering with all the AAMC traffic regulations and such if it was fine to hold onto the DO school acceptance, while interviewing and waiting on the MD school masters/MD program? Just double checking! Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ok! even if I put the deposit down on the DO school?
The DO school will just kindly accept your donation and allow you to withdraw if you so choose. AMCAS has little if any overlap with AACOM operations as far as I am aware.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The DO school will just kindly accept your donation and allow you to withdraw if you so choose. AMCAS has little if any overlap with AACOM operations as far as I am aware.

Yep. OP, keep in mind DO deposits are largely not refundable, so while you can definitely withdraw if you decide to go to the masters program (assuming you get accepted), you will lose the deposit.

Also in addition to the above, I’m assuming there are conditions that need to be met to guarantee your acceptance. So you’d be taking a big gamble, particularly if it is GPA based and graded on a curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you want to be a doctor? Why risk a guaranteed path to becoming a doctor by going this route?