Got accepted to UOP but.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmtran

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry it's been a long time since I've read anything or post anything cuz I don't have constant access to the web. Well anyways, I got accepted to UOP on January 29, and I have to make a 500 deposit and maybe a 150 housing deposit if I choose to live on campus. BUT, I'm still waiting out for USC. I have 30 days from Jan 29 to send in my UOP deposit, but I'm hoping that within that time frame USC will give me a response about my application. I was put on a waiting list, and also I was supposed to take A&PII this spring semester but Jim Granders (?) cleared that for me and told me I didn't have to take it. Now....that made me wonder if they were doing me a favor if they're gonna reject me. Get what I'm saying? So I have all this built up anticipation and crap, and since I read how Tri said that physiology was so important in USC's program, it just made me worry more. So anyhow, my question is when is the latest they send out acceptances/rejections for peeps on the waiting list? Has anybody heard anything yet? Also, what's living on campus at UOP like? Nice dorms or crappy? Or would you rather live off campus?

I feel like I'm at square one all over again or something, but hopefully I'll get some cheery news within the next few weeks.

Crossing my fingers,
Mai

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking from personal experience, you can be on the waiting list up until the first day of classes. A lot of people choose a final day to say "Forget it, I'm going to (school) and that's that. Take me off the waitlist." You just have to decide when that day will be.
UOP ended up working with me on some of my pre-reqs that were "required" when I was still an applicant.
UOP opened up a new set of housing that is footsteps away from the school (I'm sure you saw them during your interview). I had talked to some people who had lived there, and they really liked them. The apartment situation in Stockton can be kinda funky if you move too far from campus. It just depends upon what you're used to...
I would stick it out as long as you can until you absolutely have to send your deposit to UOP. Be prepared to lose some money...
Hope this helps,
Jason

Congrats on the UOP invite. Pay the $500; in the big picture, that's nothing. UOP must've gotten at least 2000 other applicants that would love to be in your shoes. I would think some of USC's invitees will decline an offer to go to one of the UC schools so you may be a Trojan yet. UOP deposit - $500. UOP housing deposit - $150. Price of knowing you're in at a Cali pharm school and the peace of mind that goes with it - priceless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go for it....a lot of people I know who got interviews unfortunately did not get accepted or were put on the waiting list. I guess it's that chance you have to take -- not to be down on your but if you turn down that UOP acceptance, what if you don't get accepted anywhere else? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by michelleca4
When I went to the info and tour session just recently at USC (Jan 23), Jim said that they didn't accept no one from the waiting list last year because they sent out 200 acceptances and almost everyone accepted the offer.

That is quite true. Everyone that was sent out an acceptance accepted thus resulting in an overfill of the class. I think they overfilled our class by 10-15 people (if memory serves me right).

Congratulations on your acceptance. Ah yes, you're in the same predicament that I was in. I got accepted to UOP in late November and wasn't sure if other schools would pan out thus I decided to fork over the $500. I think in the long run it is better knowing that you are GURANTEED a spot somewhere. Even though it hurts to pay so much money, atleast you'll have peace of mind. I, however, do not since I think will be accepted at the other schools I interviewed in. Needless to say, the NON-REFUNDABLE $500 is killing me +pissed+

I thought that USC puts everyone on the active consderation list, which would not be the same as waiting list since they only fill 120 or so spots before all the interviews are over and then the rest in April? Am I wrong or did they put you on actual w. list? In either case, I suggest you pay $500 and guarantee yourself a spot at UOP....I on the other hand have not heard form anyone yet... :(

hey mai
i'm in the EXACT same position you are in. i jsut got accepted to UOP but am still waiting to hear from usc (i also had the first interview). I actually really loved uop when i went there so i am definitely going to send in my deposit...dont they give some of it back to you if you decide to go somewhere else? oh yeah, i also have to take physiology in the spring...can usc really waive it because i know uop doesnt require it ...

HI. In My opinion. I would pay the $500 Deposit just to have a safety cushion. Then if you find out you are admitted into USC and if you really want to go there then I would go there. The $500 is indeed ALOT of money however if you will be much more happier being and studying at USC then make the $500 sacrifice and go to USC. You will be spending the next 4+ years there thus you should be happy and confortable with where you are at.
Also one last thing about the $500, sure its alot of money now, but think of it this way...in 4 years from now, once you graduate and start working as a pharmacist and pulling in $80 - $90 K salary, that $500 will seem like a insignificant sacrificial investment compared to how much money you will be making 4 years from now.
Thats how I think of everything, I try not let money or tuition be much of a factor when I am choosing which schools I REALLY wanna go too. I think of everything as a long term investment. Cuase I know that at the end of the road, a pot of gold will be waiting for me and I will be recompensed for all the work, years and financial sacrifices I had made.
Thank long term and the big picture!

thanx for all the replies. i emailed xin gong about my inquiries and she responded saying that evaluations are being mailed out early next week, so that gives me time to see what my status at usc is like before i send in my deposit for uop. I also emailed granderson, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. so anyways, i'm still crossing my fingers.....

good luck to everyone else by the way..

mai

okay this is what granderson wrote me:

Okay. I have your information. This is a decision you will have to make for yourself. Our admit point for the first interview was .792. You had .772. The number will drop after each interview. How far is hard to tell. 792 is extremely high because we hold until we finish our final interview which will be in March. Decision are made all the way to August as student move about.
Best of luck in making a decision. Most of all best of luck whatever you do. Let me know what you decide so I can adjust our list.
Jim

so....very iffy huh?

I am not sure what he was trying to say...but you are pretty close to admit points and if he is saying that the points will drop, then you have a chance...this is confusing....

i know! so i guess when evaluations are coming out next week, i'll still be on a waiting list until the last interview on March 20. what a wait......

does anyone know how that point score (.779) is broken down exactly? eg 20% interview, 20% gades etc..