Got an interview after being on hold!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lalalaaaaaa

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone actually gets off the infamous pre-interview holds.

I'm on hold at Penn State, Drexel, and GW, and I presume they are going to be rejections come March. But, maybe some of you have received invites after a hold.

If you are one of these lucky few, please give hope to the rest of us by telling your story!
 
I hear Loyola is pretty good about reconsidering those applications, but I only gather that from the SDN page. Hear-say at best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got off hold from GW after a couple of months of silence and getting a formal letter telling me I was on hold. No special magic, I just waited.
 
How do people know if they are on hold? And what is "small pooled"?

Some schools will tell you that you're on hold or small pooled.

Both mean you're technically still under consideration--essentially, that you weren't terrible enough to outright reject, but not good enough to immediately offer an interview to, either.
 
How do people know if they are on hold? And what is "small pooled"?

You usually find out about a hold via e-mail or status update..just means they reviewed your app and didn't want to make a decision yet

Small pooled means they looked at your app and decided to put you into a smaller pile of apps that are going to be more seriously considered after having gone through an initial filter to get rid of the majority of apps - and as mauberley said above..some small pools are holds in disguise