Got Fired from ER scribing job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamsonoflevi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began training for an ER scribing job, and although it wasn't my favorite thing in the world, I continued because I thought I would get the hang of it. Last week my manager told me I was doing a great job and it gave me a bit more confidence. This last week was tough, mostly because the girl who was training me talked down to me. After the third training shift, I felt like I hadn't progressed much, and my next shift was on my own at the specialty clinic. That shift didn't go too great, because the setup was totally different, but the doctor loved me. Fast forward to today. I get a call from my manager saying I haven't progressed enough and my trainers say I'm misspelling words and not getting enough information, and the dreaded "I'm not a good fit". This was such a tough job to get, because a lot of places are hesitant to hire me (I'm really shy). The pace was way too fast for me, and it was hard for me to glean an HPI from a lot of the patients, let alone keep up with their medical histories. I'm not sure how to take this, and I'm doubting my decision to go to med school. I also felt as if too many doctors were willing to just give away meds (especially pain meds) to anyone there. I'm more into lifestyle modification to prevent diseases, and I felt totally out of place there. Some friends advise me to go to naturopathic school, but it's reputation on here is less than stellar. Honestly, I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I someone as shy as me even belongs in medicine. Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The one thing I have discovered as a medical student was that doctors have a surprising amount of autonomy. If you want to be a doctor who focuses on prevention, you can do just that. Just need to be in the right field and where you can do the most good.

I have seen the evolution of scribing through the years. At first it was a job that anyone can pick up. Now it seems like it has evolved into some thing cut throat and are more than ready and willing to get rid of people who can't keep up.

Medicine is not like this. If you get in, they do everything to retain you and you are a precious commodity to schools and residency programs. I for one feel terrible at SOAP notes and I look at my former scribe comrades able to rattle off differentials like its nothing. However, I realize that there are things they will be good at and things I am good at. Overall, I am very glad I am in a learning environment and have the time to learn this very important skill.

Don't let that job make you think your are not cut out for medicine. With time, people can get better. My advisor told me that it was amusing at first to watch students do their SOAP notes. Students on their first encounter will make all sorts of mistakes. However, at the end of their 2nd year, they improve so much that you would be surprised of how different they were from their first patient encounter. So things like this take time. So don't let this moment get you down. Pick yourself up and move forward. People don't stay the same forever, unless they choose to.

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I began training for an ER scribing job, and although it wasn't my favorite thing in the world, I continued because I thought I would get the hang of it. Last week my manager told me I was doing a great job and it gave me a bit more confidence. This last week was tough, mostly because the girl who was training me talked down to me. After the third training shift, I felt like I hadn't progressed much, and my next shift was on my own at the specialty clinic. That shift didn't go too great, because the setup was totally different, but the doctor loved me. Fast forward to today. I get a call from my manager saying I haven't progressed enough and my trainers say I'm misspelling words and not getting enough information, and the dreaded "I'm not a good fit". This was such a tough job to get, because a lot of places are hesitant to hire me (I'm really shy). The pace was way too fast for me, and it was hard for me to glean an HPI from a lot of the patients, let alone keep up with their medical histories. I'm not sure how to take this, and I'm doubting my decision to go to med school. I also felt as if too many doctors were willing to just give away meds (especially pain meds) to anyone there. I'm more into lifestyle modification to prevent diseases, and I felt totally out of place there. Some friends advise me to go to naturopathic school, but it's reputation on here is less than stellar. Honestly, I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I someone as shy as me even belongs in medicine. Any words of advice?
Whatever you do, avoid naturopathy. You may feel disappointed with the way modern medicine is right now but going to a naturopathic school will be financially and academically much more disappointing, its pseudoscience. I'd rather a doctor give me pain pills if I needed them over someone "prescribing" peppermint oil

By any chance, was it scribe America?

Shake it off. Not doing well as a scribe has no bearing on anything other than your ability to be a scribe.

Try to find a different clinical experience that suits you better.

Shake it off. Not doing well as a scribe has no bearing on anything other than your ability to be a scribe.

Try to find a different clinical experience that suits you better.
I agree.

Naturopathy..def not.

It happens. I'm a doctor. Guess what? If I had to scribe for someone else, I would probably suck. Doctors are picky, fixated people usually.

I'm shy too sometimes. On presentations for round I get super nervous but I don't let it stop me. I just do what I can to try and impress my higher ups. Working hard can make people overlook some things. Doing your best and being respectful will take you a long way. Failures are inevitable in life but they should teach you a lesson

If you've read enough notes by other doctors, particularly the ones without scribes, you will notice that writing a terrible note does not stop you from being a doctor... There are some useless, messy notes out there! Scribes kind of exist because of that (and obviously to save time). I felt overwhelmed my first month or so scribing and now 2 years later I still miss stuff sometimes. Sorry they didn't give you more of a chance but try not to sweat it.