Got into medical school at age 25... Is it too old or just right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just curious what is the perspective on a 25 year old getting into medical school. Is it too old or just right? I think the average age is 22 right?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the average age is closer to 25 across all schools (MD and DO). 25 is the perfect age. Finish residency when you are 33, practice until you are 65-70 and have a 32+ year career. At an average family medicine salary of $180,000 (would be more in most cases) you are looking at career income before taxes of close to 6 million dollars. Should be enough to pay off your loans and live a nice life. If you make $250,000 that's 8 million. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
If all goes according to plan, I will be starting when I am 27, and I'm not really worried. I'd rather be a doctor for 30 years than something else for 32 or 34 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares? You're in medical school and going to become a physician. Age is now irrelevant.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey OP, first and foremost CONGRATULATIONS.

It's been a long time coming, and I too have been accepted at 25 years of age. I'll be 26 by the time of matriculation in August. The average age group for MD/DO programs falls at the 25-26 age range. Trust, we'll be fine. And as with the other guys who have posted before me, a lasting career in medicine spanning 30-40 years is what we have to look forward to. The first challenge of getting into a program is over now (it feels good to be wanted huh?), let's enjoy the ride!

Cheers! :banana:

Reactions: 11 users
Hey OP, first and foremost CONGRATULATIONS.

It's been a long time coming, and I too have been accepted at 25 years of age. I'll be 26 by the time of matriculation in August. The average age group for MD/DO programs falls at the 25-26 age range. Trust, we'll be fine. And as with the other guys who have posted before me, a lasting career in medicine spanning 30-40 years is what we have to look forward to. The first challenge of getting into a program is over now (it feels good to be wanted huh?), let's enjoy the ride!

Cheers! :banana:
thanks bro... Good luck where you go!

Reactions: 1 user
Just right. I think was 26 when I started.

Residency is not a pleasant experience and I think it would be hard if you were older. When I say older I mean 40 not 30.

Im actually thinking about switching to a nonmedical career, but I feel too old/beaten down to start again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
God I hope it's not too old bc I'm 25 and about to start med school too

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

You're fine. I have classmates in their mid-thirties.

I don't see why 25 would be viewed as "too old" to start medical school. I will be 25 when I start med school in the fall, and as others have stated, it is actually the average age of a matriculating student. I am so glad I didn't start at 22. I would have been underprepared mentally to start school coming right out of undergrad, and the experiences I have had in the last three years have really helped shape me as a person, and helped me to solidify the desire to become a doctor. I think it's an ideal time to be heading into medical school!

Reactions: 6 users
I started at a few years past 25, so I really hope not. I think my class had an average age of 24 when we started, but I'm not sure where I heard that.

Last edited:
You'll be surprised at just how many of your classmates or people in the classes ahead of you are 25+. Hell, one of the students that I spent the day with at an interview was in his 30's and had a wife and kids.

25 is the perfect age in my opinion. You've had a few years to become more mature and gain enough life experience, but are still young and fresh. I'm starting at 26, and I feel absolutely comfortable at this age.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow member of the 25'er club (at matriculation). Not only will we be right at the mean age for matriculants, we will also be free of any turmoil from the "just turned 21" mentality. :highfive:

Hi everyone, just curious what is the perspective on a 25 year old getting into medical school. Is it too old or just right? I think the average age is 22 right?

Thanks.

25 is the average age of most first year med students now I believe. That will mean your 29 when you graduate... not old at all my friend! Do what you want, and accomplish your goals! You wont regret it I promise!

Cheers,

Sean
www.pathtomedicine.com

I just got in at the age of 25 and will start this August at the age of 26. Sure, the feeling that I'm older than some of my friends who are in medical school already sinks in occasionally. But honestly, what snaps me out of it is when I remember the fact that I'm a young "20-something" and not a senior citizen. We're young, let's go tear it up and have fun while it lasts.

25 seems about perfect. I wish I had been able to start at 25. I'll be in my early 30s, you don't have to search to far to find people in their late 30s or beyond. Age will not be a factor for you.

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

Thanks.

Im 22 and starting medical school in a couple of months. Many our saying 25 is the perfect age, but I think I am very ready at 22, and am very mature for my age!

Im 22 and starting medical school in a couple of months. Many our saying 25 is the perfect age, but I think I am very ready at 22, and am very mature for my age!

If you're able to get into medical school, I don't doubt that you probably possess some degree of maturity and the academic know-how to succeed. But there is a very inherent advantage to starting school later and that's simple life experience. Some of the strongest candidates in our OMS class here are people in there late 20s/early 30s. These people have husbands/wives/kids and from talking to them versus some of the younger students, their motivation to succeed is very different. Their age also gives them better relationships with the professors. Many of the older students can and do talk to professors more as colleagues whereas the younger students tend to be more timid about it.

Whether the age you start medical school is "too late" is totally up to how you want to live your life. A medical education is a long road and because it's so long, it's rather unpredictable.

I will be starting medical school in my 30's (my entire adult life has been spent in the military so I got a bit of a late jump, but for me its perfect timing), some may ask why you would want to be 30 when you just finish school, the fact is, you will be 30 either way (can't stop the clock) and in my opinion its better to achieve your goal as a physician at 30 (which is still very young) than to wonder "what if" at 30. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: 4 users
I will be 28 when I start this summer.

Starting this summer and will be 27 years old!

Don't worry about it man. There are many more important things to be concerned about.

I'm starting at 21 yrs old. When I was first applying, I dreaded the idea of taking gap years because I didn't want to be "too old" by the time I finished. Later, I came to know that the average age is around 25 yrs old, so I am "too early" with that logic. At the end of the day, age is really irrelevant. Whether you start at 21 or 35, it doesn't make a difference in the long run. The only thing that matters is mental maturity and having meaningful life experiences/skills, some have it earlier or later than others.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting at 21 yrs old. When I was first applying, I dreaded the idea of taking gap years because I didn't want to be "too old" by the time I finished. Later, I came to know that the average age is around 25 yrs old, so I am "too early" with that logic. At the end of the day, age is really irrelevant. Whether you start at 21 or 35, it doesn't make a difference in the long run. The only thing that matters is mental maturity and having meaningful life experiences/skills, some have it earlier or later than others.

When I was your age..... I was getting kicked out of clubs/partying 3x week/getting a new gf every 6 months. HOW do you stay focus? Youre the type my mom would compared me to

"Why cant you be like oceanman? Hes 21 and getting into medical school."

When I was your age..... I was getting kicked out of clubs/partying 3x week/getting a new gf every 6 months. HOW do you stay focus? Youre the type my mom would compared me to

"Why cant you be like oceanman? Hes 21 and getting into medical school."

Haha. Trust me, my parents used to do the same to me when I was in high school. But, I knew from the moment I started college that I wanted to go to med school and become a doctor. Even then, I slacked my first semester and got a B-. I was sooo disappointed in myself! Many might say that a B- is not even bad, but to me it was because I held myself to a high standard. From there on out, I pushed for only A's and I did it. I made the necessary sacrifices that I had to make. When my friends were out partying on weekends, I was studying. When they went out to eat, I was studying. When they were sleeping, I was studying. It's all about priorities. It may sound like I had no life, but that isn't true at all because I managed my time like a boss and still had a fulfilling college experience. Also, I surrounded myself with friends that were in the same shoes as me or would understand why I do what I do. I always reminded myself that great and successful people are just normal people like you and I. They didn't fall from the sky. They just know how to effectively use their 24hrs and be disciplined. And I simply tried to emulate that.

Haha. Trust me, my parents used to do the same to me when I was in high school. But, I knew from the moment I started college that I wanted to go to med school and become a doctor. Even then, I slacked my first semester and got a B-. I was sooo disappointed in myself! Many might say that a B- is not even bad, but to me it was because I held myself to a high standard. From there on out, I pushed for only A's and I did it. I made the necessary sacrifices that I had to make. When my friends were out partying on weekends, I was studying. When they went out to eat, I was studying. When they were sleeping, I was studying. It's all about priorities. It may sound like I had no life, but that isn't true at all because I managed my time like a boss and still had a fulfilling college experience. Also, I surrounded myself with friends that were in the same shoes as me or would understand why I do what I do. I always reminded myself that great and successful people are just normal people like you and I. They didn't fall from the sky. They just know how to effectively use their 24hrs and be disciplined. And I simply tried to emulate that.

Kudos to you. I admired your study ethic and determination! You deserved it!

Everyone matures differently but there is no chance in hell I would have been ready for medical school at 22.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm 25, matriculating in August! yissss

Thanks.

The only thing you're too old for at 25 is dating girls in high school. Probably half of your class will be older than you.

I'd feel lucky to be able to matriculate at 25. I'm 24 now, and it seems like it will take at least 2 years to get into med school at this point.

Too old. Consider looking for a burial plot soon :beat:

Thanks.
13 years ago I was in your boat (26 actually). Most students were fresh out of college at 22 , some were like me and a few were older (30's kids second career). you'll be fine, it actually is nice to have a little perspective but still be fresh if that makes sense. I would say this, grab some disability insurance while still healthy and in residency because life does seem to throw curveballs as you get older. that's a different discussion but important after you invest time and lots of money and hedge on a 30 year career .

I'm starting at 32.

I was not mature enough at 22 to go through the process.

I'm starting at 30. I feel pretty old, but I know there are several people in my class over 30. I'm with Brancer - there's no way I could have handled it at 22.

I think 25 is a fantastic age to start, and that is how old I am (matriculating in August). We will be MD/DO at 29, and practicing as early as 32. After 25 years of work we will only be 57. If you're tired and want to retire, you will be able to (could probably retire at 50 if you're frugal). Or if you want to be that guy who has to have the scalpel yanked out of his/her hands, you can work for 50 years and quit when you're 82.

Hell, Michael DeBakey practiced for the better part of 75 years. The sky is the limit my friend.

Also, CONGRATS!!

I hope 25 isn't too old. I'm 34 and in med school....hope they don't kick me out because i'm too old ;):laugh:.

Im 25 and a third year med student. Being in medical school will make you more mature. You dont need life experiences for that purpose. I think having life experiences helps negate the grass is greener syndrome though. OP the undeniable reality is you are starting med school later than most and it would have been better to do so at 22. You would be done with hoops of first, second, and most of third year. You would also be much closer to a attending salary and one year from starting residency. But at this point, you should pat yourself on the back for making it this far. You've earned it. Medicine is a long grueling but also rewarding path. Good luck.

Not at all. I was 30 when I started undergrad. I turned 37 the day of my White Coat Ceremony at the beginning of OMS-1. I didn't have the maturity, life experience, or discipline to handle it in my 20's. Congratulations and Good Luck!!!

Im 25 and a third year med student. Being in medical school will make you more mature. You dont need life experiences for that purpose. I think having life experiences helps negate the grass is greener syndrome though. OP the undeniable reality is you are starting med school later than most and it would have been better to do so at 22. You would be done with hoops of first, second, and most of third year. You would also be much closer to a attending salary and one year from starting residency. But at this point, you should pat yourself on the back for making it this far. You've earned it. Medicine is a long grueling but also rewarding path. Good luck.

Not later than most. The average age is 25.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was in the 26-27 range when I started. So just right (I think the median age of matriculants is ~24)

Last edited:
Happy to see I'm not the only (will be) 25 year old starting med school! Thank goodness for getting in!!

Not later than most. The average age is 25.

Honestly the reason why the average is 25 because there are usually a couple of outliers that distort the curve. Its more older outliers and almost very few is not any young outliers. For example, in my medical school class we have one guy who is in his 40's and one in his 50's. Our average age is 25 too. Which means for those two indivuals, it would take about 12 people who are 22 to average 25. We also have people in their thirties too. So for every 30 year old, two twenty two year olds need to offset that. Just take the time to think about that.

Honestly the reason why the average is 25 because there are usually a couple of outliers that distort the curve. Its more older outliers and almost very few is not any young outliers. For example, in my medical school class we have one guy who is in his 40's and one in his 50's. Our average age is 25 too. Which means for those two indivuals, it would take about 12 people who are 22 to average 25. We also have people in their thirties too. So for every 30 year old, two twenty two year olds need to offset that. Just take the time to think about that.

(30 + 20 + 20)/3 = 23.3....

Edit: Read your post wrong misread twenty two as twenty. oops!

(30 + 20 + 20)/3 = 23.3....

Edit: Read your post wrong misread twenty two as twenty. oops!
If you go to medical school at the age of 20, you seriously got your stuff together.

I had no idea how to calculate an average. Thank you for clearing that up.