Got my first DAT score, not sure if I should retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obi-wan-Kenobi-zero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I took the DAT a few days ago and got 21AA, 21 TS, and 24 PAT. In school I have over a 3.4 sgpa and 3.5 overall, so would anyone recommend taking the DAT again to boost up the score, or is it unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. As long as you have your shadowing hours, EC's, etc.. you'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores are fine. Keep on the DL, don't DUI or molest any kids and if you gotta get high, go to Colorado, Alaska, Oregon or Washington State (not DC). Now you need to shadow some dentists, write the reference letters and let them sign it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeahh its a decent score! It should get you interviews somewhere. But is there a specific school you are aiming for? Columbia harvard upenn?

You will be fine as long as all your section scores are above 17

I dont think you know what 'troll' means
So why don't you explain what it means dogg? b/c as far as i can tell, this person has a 3.4GPA and 21AA/24PAT/21TS and he/she is pondering to retake, without suggesting any area of weaknesses in their DAT score or other factors that should contribute to a retake. So, if that's not 'trolling' i don't know what is. And thank irishmom for restating my point.

A troll is someone who knows their stats are good but want peolpe to help inflate their egos.....so:troll:

So why don't you explain what it means dogg? b/c as far as i can tell, this person has a 3.4GPA and 21AA/24PAT/21TS and he/she is pondering to retake, without suggesting any area of weaknesses in their DAT score or other factors that should contribute to a retake. So, if that's not 'trolling' i don't know what is. And thank irishmom for restating my point.

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]"

This is probably closer to fishing for compliments than trolling. Trolling in this forum is more along the lines of "Which is better? Dental or medicine?".

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW, did you write all that? or did you copy and paste that off of somewhere? If you think you are better than somebody by looking up things on the internet, then I have nothing else to say to you, troll-dog..

WOW, did you write all that? or did you copy and paste that off of somewhere? If you think you are better than somebody by looking up things on the internet, then I have nothing else to say to you, troll-dog..

I'll even give you the sauce in APA style: Troll (Internet). (2015, March 17). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 23:34, March 22, 2015, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Troll_(Internet)&oldid=651790570

You asked. I delivered.

The irony is so real right now, I literally cannot even.

Anyways. OP, no retake. Focus on other parts of your application

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should aim for at least a 25 in each section. It's up to you whether you feel that a 21 is enough to distinguish your application among the other people who scored slightly above average.

- how to troll

Reactions: 1 users
Do people who post scores like this on SDN even know what the average for the DAT or any statistics about that DAT? Because posts like this ALWAYS comes off as an ego booster posts...

Reactions: 3 users
Do people who post scores like this on SDN even know what the average for the DAT or any statistics about that DAT? Because posts like this ALWAYS comes off as an ego booster posts...

I agree. One of the reasons I quit coming here until after I was accepted was because a lot of posters made me feel inadequate. I came to realize they were just phishing for compliments and the majority were like me,,,mostly average.

I think sometimes they are genuinely oblivious to whether they should retake or not. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. OP you shouldn't retake.

come on guys, if he wanted more attention he would have added some hashtags such as "#likesforlikes"

duh , everybody knows that...

No, you will not be getting into dental school. Minimum score is 30 on every subsection and nothing less than 4.0 GPA is acceptable. Retake your DAT and publish 30 papers in oral biology before you apply.

I would not be saying this if this wasn't the poster's one and only contribution to the forum!

Reactions: 1 users
Judging by how bent everyone is over your scores, I think that's a good indicator you're fine. Go outside and get some sunshine now, while you can.

LOL at some of the previous comments :p

Anyways I think you are set! Just make sure to apply early! :D

I had 3.4 sgpa and 3.5 ogpa, 21aa 20ts and 23pat, applied to 8 schools, 3 interviews, attended 2 and got into both schools so you should be fine as long as the rest of your application is pretty good