Goucher or Bryn Mawr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldie2828

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know this has been discussed before, but perhaps things have changed in the last year or so. If I have the option to go to Goucher or Bryn Mawr for next year's class, which one do I choose? I've gotten into Goucher, waiting to hear from Bryn Mawr.

Thanks for weighing in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before, but perhaps things have changed in the last year or so. If I have the option to go to Goucher or Bryn Mawr for next year's class, which one do I choose? I've gotten into Goucher, waiting to hear from Bryn Mawr.

Thanks for weighing in.

You shouldn't be asking us...

Which one felt more right to you? The biggest difference is the size. For me, 25 people is too small a group, but it's perfect for some people. Also, would you rather be outside Philadelphia or Baltimore? Academically, you can't go wrong either way.

Agreed with Newman's. For most people, they just feel like they "fit in" better in one program over the other. There are a lot of people in my class who got into Bryn Mawr but chose Goucher (I'm at Goucher this year). And I am sure the same is true of people at Bryn Mawr who chose Bryn Mawr over Goucher. So really, look at the pro's and con's of each program, especially in areas that are important to you.

That being said, if you have any questions specifically about Goucher, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it came down to location, class size, and Tuesdays. (Here at Goucher, Tuesdays are kept free for volunteering, which has helped me stay rooted in all the reasons I decided to pursue a career in medicine in the first place.) I could imagine being happy at either school, but I have zero regrets about choosing Goucher. The program is fantastic. Either way, you can't go wrong. Good luck!

One more thing:

Every year, Goucher hires an alum from the program to be the TA for the next year's class. S/he is devoted to the postbac program--holds MCAT class, review sessions, individual sessions, therapy sessions... I'm not sure whether there is an equivalent at Bryn Mawr, but that perk (and person) has been an unbelievable source of support and reassurance this year.

Purely from what I've read on these forums, you can't go wrong with either.

As far as actual experience goes, I don't have much, but my interview at Goucher thoroughly impressed me. The program just has so much to offer.

I would like to echo NewmansOwn, however. Try sitting down and writing out all of the pros and cons of each school, and perhaps construct a small narrative reflecting on what impressed you during your interview day. Each of the "top 3" have carved out their own little niche in a way; they are different enough from each other that doing a little writing should leave you with a confident decision.

One more thing:

Every year, Goucher hires an alum from the program to be the TA for the next year's class. S/he is devoted to the postbac program--holds MCAT class, review sessions, individual sessions, therapy sessions... I'm not sure whether there is an equivalent at Bryn Mawr, but that perk (and person) has been an unbelievable source of support and reassurance this year.

Bryn Mawr has TAs for each individual subject and the in-house MCAT course is taught by 3 former postbacs, each of whom did especially well on one of the three sections.

No therapy, though -- I just carry a hip flask.