GPA 3.0, Post Bacc, SMP, or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeQuackittyQuack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my stats:
-cGPA 3.0, sGPA <3.0. Bachelor's in biology, graduated in 2014
-2 years working as a physical therapy aide
-2 years as a volunteer EMT
-1 year working as a clinical assistant in a neurosurgical practice
-have both OR and in-office shadowing experience, about 75 hours total
-It will be 5 years or more since I have taken some of my core classes, and I did retake some core classes while in college. (I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be taken into account, since I've read that some places look to see that you have taken your pre-reqs within 5 years of applying. Perhaps I can just take a record enhancing post bacc/masters without redoing all my undergrad courses, essentially taking advanced courses to build upon my undergrad)
-have not taken the MCAT yet

I know my situation isn't ideal but I am determined to one day call myself a doctor and I am ready and willing to work my butt off for that dream. I'm essentially trying to see if there is a program or general path I can take that can give me the opportunity to be accepted into a medical school (I am not opposed to DO schools, as well). I would really appreciate honest feedback and plans to get into medical school.
I would prefer not to go out of the country.

Would a post bacc, SMP, or master's work for me?

Members don't see this ad.

SMP is to prove that you can handle hard as **** classes (basically med school classes). With less than a 3.0 sGPA in bio, that's concerning- bc you should be aiming for at least a 3.5 in these programs (preferably 3.7+). And if you end up doing badly in the SMP, your chances at med school are completely shot.

It's make-or-break. If you 100% know you can do it, I say do a SMP program and kill it. Study your ass off and get a 3.7+. With a 505-510 MCAT with that, I think your chances at DO would be solid.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your GPAs include every class you have ever taken, including the retakes? You are in a pretty deep hole. I’d think MD is not realistic but maybe DO. A Masters won’t help for MD schools but will for DO. Since you’ve been out of school for so long you could try taking several semesters of upper level science classes and earn all
As. If you can manage to string together 3 -4 semesters of classes with a >3.7 GPA you might be able to convince ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. You will
also have to nail the MCAT. But don’t even think about the MCAT at this point. You are several years away from applying. Work hard and let us know how you are doing!

So here are my stats:
-cGPA 3.0, sGPA <3.0. Bachelor's in biology, graduated in 2014
-2 years working as a physical therapy aide
-2 years as a volunteer EMT
-1 year working as a clinical assistant in a neurosurgical practice
-have both OR and in-office shadowing experience, about 75 hours total
-It will be 5 years or more since I have taken some of my core classes, and I did retake some core classes while in college. (I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be taken into account, since I've read that some places look to see that you have taken your pre-reqs within 5 years of applying. Perhaps I can just take a record enhancing post bacc/masters without redoing all my undergrad courses, essentially taking advanced courses to build upon my undergrad)
-have not taken the MCAT yet

I know my situation isn't ideal but I am determined to one day call myself a doctor and I am ready and willing to work my butt off for that dream. I'm essentially trying to see if there is a program or general path I can take that can give me the opportunity to be accepted into a medical school (I am not opposed to DO schools, as well). I would really appreciate honest feedback and plans to get into medical school.
I would prefer not to go out of the country.

Would a post bacc, SMP, or master's work for me?
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention