Gpa:3.2, Mcat:25N, Should I bother with a MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vampiresoup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a Bioengineering degree from UCSD. Should I even apply to MD schools with these stats. I feel like I'll be wasting my money. What other options do I have? Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with a Bioengineering degree from UCSD. Should I even apply to MD schools with these stats. I feel like I'll be wasting my money. What other options do I have? Any help would be appreciated!

Obviously you already know you're not getting in MD with what you've got now by the way you asked the question. So option 1 is to roll the dice with what you've got. Caribbean schools will take a look at you, and if you work hard during med school you'll have a limited yet still reasonable range of residency positions available to you. Option 2 (the better choice) is to get a real medical education. Take an extra couple of years to do a post-bac, retake the MCAT, boost the research/clinical exposure/volunteer section of your app, and charm the tits off the the MD adcoms. Still rolling the dice, since there's always the possibility that you'll still have to take a DO or Carib spot.

I'd mosdef retake the MCAT. You have a shot at some DO schools and maybe some MD schools if you get lucky. Are you a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd mosdef retake the MCAT. You have a shot at some DO schools and maybe some MD schools if you get lucky. Are you a URM?

No I am not. But I am researching the possibility of applying as a disadvantaged student since english was not my first language and I moved to the US about 7 years ago.

Option 2 (the better choice) is to get a real medical education. Take an extra couple of years to do a post-bac, retake the MCAT, boost the research/clinical exposure/volunteer section of your app, and charm the tits off the the MD adcoms. Still rolling the dice, since there's always the possibility that you'll still have to take a DO or Carib spot.

"a real medical education" coming from the person who knows best!

i agree with the above. I would do a post bac or one of those special programs, retake the MCAT and do a crapload of clinical volunteer work and reapply. if you have money to spend, you can always try to apply to your state schools this year just to see if maybe one will take you.

I would try to apply for next year's cycles of post-bacc programs from the UC-system. I believe most of the UC's have them and they are great! I would agree that if you truly want to pursue a career in medicine, some post-bacc work would be necessary if DO isn't in the works. Best of luck to you.

How is getting a DO not a real medical education? Where do people come up with this stuff? Either way your not competitive yet. Re-take the MCAT and aim for a 30 or so. You could probably get into some carribean schools. If you can get into SGU you'll be fine, you'll get a "real" medical education. I would be wary of the other carib schools however. Do your research if you want to go caribbean.

I'm gonna assume it was just careless english.....I'm sure DO bashing will get someone far in life.

Last edited:
Let them bash DO, more spots for us and we won't have to deal with ignorant people.

I'm gonna assume it was just careless english.....I'm sure DO bashing will get someone far in life.

If all of this is directed at my post I apologize for the misunderstanding, wasn't DO bashing at all. Still not entirely sure how it was taken that way, but "...still rolling the dice, since there's always the possibility that you'll still have to take a DO or Carib spot" was simply referring to the OP's apparent preference for MD schools as implied by the thread's title.

Well, I think you might be able to get into a couple of MD schools (depends on the rest of your application as well such as volunteer hrs, research exp.), but the chances are not bright. Therefore, you should take 2 yrs of post bac. and ace all the classes.

ALL THE BEST:)

Even if you improve your GPA to 3.5+, 25 is way too low for MD schools, and its pretty low for a lot of DO schools, unless the DO is a state school.