GPA 3.4, MCAT 36, Canadian Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr holmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have been wondering which schools I should be applying to with these stats.
I am a Canadian citizen.

cGPA: 3.4 sGPA 3.38

MCAT: 36

EC : varsity trainer, sports med, worked at physical rehab for 2 years, hospital, student gov, Olympic volunteer, shadowing 100+ hours w head of oncology hospital in china

Members don't see this ad.

your Mcat is Great,about average GPA with pretty good Extra Curr.

Just apply to all Med Schools you like to man. I'm sure it'd be worth a shot to apply to Mcgill

Thanks Azizi, I am applying broadly in Canada this year, though I am not sure about my chances due to the fact that MCAT is used more or less only as a quantifier. Do you think I would have a shot at any of the top private schools in the states with those stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Azizi, I am applying broadly in Canada this year, though I am not sure about my chances due to the fact that MCAT is used more or less only as a quantifier. Do you think I would have a shot at any of the top private schools in the states with those stats?

Keep in mind that the mean matriculant GPA for top schools in the states is north of 3.7. That, combined with you being Canadian (non-citizens generally need more competitive applications than their US counterparts would to get the same results) means that you're a long shot for top privates in the USA.

That being said, if you have a couple dream schools and can afford the application fees, by all means throw your hat into the ring and see what happens. :xf:

Ideally you'll get into a great Canadian school this cycle and won't even have to worry about coming down here. :)

Thanks mcloaf, ya, It would be ideal if I get into a Canadian school this year, it would be much cheaper too :p

But god forbids I don't get in, what's the common consensus about how steep upward trends and low GPA, high MCAT looked at in USA?

Should I be even thinking about Case, Baylor or is that reaching?